Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?

Hi all,
After reading many travelogues on Manali-Leh route, i felt that i need to visit this place. I also read that many bhpians are willing so but can not take this trip due to many factors such as-
1] he is alone need some companion,
2] he has not right vehicle to travel on this stretch,
3] he is residing south side of india has to travel lot more distance,
4] he is waiting for right opportunity.

These are common causes to many bhpians who are ready for this trip but can not take.
I am suggesting that those who are ready to take this trip in next season can come forward, we will make plans, we will share cost, we will make convoy, we will use each others expertise, we will complete this dream trip safely and successfully with like minded companion with great joy.
what say bhpians.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd October 2008 at 12:17.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:14   #2
Senior - BHPian

I wish to visit Leh-Laddakh atleast once to see the heven on earth
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Not a bad idea, but looking at winters ahead it will only be possible in next summers?
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am suggesting that those who are ready to take this trip in next season can come forward,
Quote:
but looking at winters ahead it will only be possible in next summers?
thats why i suggested at next travel season.
@ ramie sir,
yes sir, planning and preperation required so that it can be arranged in summer.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 3rd October 2008 at 13:18.
Old 3rd October 2008, 13:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

If we start preparing now we can arrange it by summers in march-april.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:27   #6
BHPian

Count me in from Delhi for next season unless there is something unavoidable. Infact I was waiting for a thread like this to happen.

I would be travelling in a WagonR from Delhi, we can catch up either in Delhi or Manali onwards. I will be going along with my fiancee, so 2 people in my car, and no please don't take offence, but I would not be comfortable in adding another passenger, unless there is an emergency.

Also I'll be able to manage leave for only 10-12 days, and since I would be travelling in a Wagonr, would like to keep to the main highways and important locations only.
Old 3rd October 2008, 17:48   #7
BHPian

The way i see it , Peak Winter is THE time to go to places like Leh.Thats the only time you get to experience things away from your comfort zone of warmth or mild winters.The bon-fires would be more appealing , the hot coffees could be more appealing , the Yak milk/beer could taste amazing after your head's gone cuckoo.I work in Arunachal and have fallen in love with the place during the winters.

Forget Mount Titlis,Lake Lucern,Lake district,Ystraddfelte or the Alps and black mountains.... We got the same beauty here and more to add with culture and food and music. Just the facilities offered are irregular in quality but it all adds to the experience!.

OT : Anyone wanna visit Arunachal, lemme know and ill arrange for everything including the permits.
absynthguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I wish to visit Leh-Laddakh atleast once to see the heven on earth
It is not heaven. It is different for sure. If you enjoy nature, raw landscape and mountains then make the trip, by all means.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post

I would be travelling in a WagonR from Delhi, we can catch up either in Delhi or Manali onwards.
You will probably make it in a WagonR but it would not be my first choice. Ground clearance is what is needed. My Spacio was barely adequate in my July 2007 trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
I am suggesting that those who are ready to take this trip in next season can come forward, we will make plans, we will share cost, we will make convoy, we will use each others expertise, we will complete this dream trip safely and successfully with like minded companion with great joy.
what say bhpians.
PM me when you come up with a plan. I was thinking of spending 2 whole months up there next summer. I would like to tell you guys one more time, a car is not what I would take. You probably will make it but I personally would not risk it. Roads in Leh are good but the road up...it is absolute crap. It is no place to break down either. There are no mech shops, there is no fuel for a long, long way. Be prepared for altitude sickness. It is not just "possible", in some places, it is likely. You will have to adjust to Leh's altitude, too, once you get there. This takes a couple days of "light duty". All I am saying is, do not take this trip lightly. Keylong to Leh can be done in one long hard day but you have to be prepared.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Been there,i think a trip a year is must for anyone who loves nature/driving in its purest form.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

sarkar, there are lots of old threadson this. Including a safari thread. Its too early to plan and alot of junta may lose enthu/not get leaves by then.

@ShakenSoul: Its doable, though WRs are NOT seen that route. Suggest you get some underbody protection just to be sure. about 5-7k it'll be. Know the route/perils before hand, time the crossings and you'd be fine.

Take Dan's words very seriously. It'll be a challenge, but a well serviced car driven sensibly should not have an issue. or take the sringar route.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

Add another guy to the list , That's me
So want to go there once and experience the thrill
Only thing
my vRs can't go there and dad wont allow me to go alone.
Old 4th October 2008, 10:39   #12
Senior - BHPian

Please plan and post ahead of the final day. Bangalore/South Bhpians can plan in 3 ways.

Meet the group in Delhi (travel by train/ Air )
Meet the group in Manali (travel by train/ Air )

Drive from Bangalore to Delhi and drive along from Delhi

I am game for it.
Old 4th October 2008, 11:12   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Please plan and post ahead of the final day. Bangalore/South Bhpians can plan in 3 ways.
@ Dadu,
lot of people are interested for this trip.
This thread is meant for discussion among those people.
Lets start with some basic questions.
1] Who are interested for this trip? please post on this thread.
2] What is best time to take this trip? gurus, please post your comments.
3] What is best mode of transport?
4] If bhpians are joining from south india i.e. Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Pune ,what is best way to make convoy or join each other? i mean whether it should be midway or Delhi or Manali.

I think those who are interested, please comment on above issues.
Old 4th October 2008, 12:54   #14
Senior - BHPian

Whew... this is some information i was waiting/looking for. Though timing is bit odd for me currently. With a nearly 6-8 months old baby i am very sure I'll not be able to join the trip, but for sure this trip is on my priority list in 2010.

Will closely watch the thread and pickup tips !!
Old 4th October 2008, 13:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Im in too. Will drive from Mumbai. Will be adding Chandertal and Kaza too as an extension before I head for Leh, to cover what i missed this time. BUt i feel this to too early to plan. I suggest start planning in April if the date is July.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks