Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2008, 15:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I would be interested -- from Bangalore. Will keep a close watch on this thread.
Old 5th October 2008, 15:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
You will probably make it in a WagonR but it would not be my first choice. Ground clearance is what is needed. My Spacio was barely adequate in my July 2007 trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
@ShakenSoul: Its doable, though WRs are NOT seen that route. Suggest you get some underbody protection just to be sure. about 5-7k it'll be. Know the route/perils before hand, time the crossings and you'd be fine.

Take Dan's words very seriously. It'll be a challenge, but a well serviced car driven sensibly should not have an issue. or take the sringar route.
I don't have a choice as I don't have another car

Yes, I am definitely preparing for the worst. Lot of spares, raise the body by shocker spacers and installing skid plates under the body.
Old 5th October 2008, 15:42   #18
BHPian

Not a bad idea, passes opens in May-end, but i did Leh Ladhak in mid-aug-sept and the weather was really favorable at that time. But i wish to do it as soon as the passes open when the snow is still intact and river beds are flowing like hell

I am anyway planning to do it in June-2009 again, so i can definitely join you guys. The only thing is i will again do it on my Royal Enfield Bullet and not in my car.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:14   #19
BHPian

1] Who are interested for this trip? please post on this thread.
Count me in on my Bullet 500, can not take the pillion as i will carrying lots of luggage, if we arrange something like Support vehicle to carry additional luggage, fuel (there is no gas station after Tandi for about 300kms till Leh), first aid, food (to cook), tents and sleeping bags and all (i suggest we should do this, for such big group this would be required.)

2] What is best time to take this trip? gurus, please post your comments.
As i said earlier, passes open in may-end, so we can plan in mid june.

3] What is best mode of transport?
Ohh well, you can fly till Leh but there is no point, you can not skip the road experience. so if anyone coming on bike can take their bikes till chandigadh in train and ride after that.

4] If bhpians are joining from south india i.e. Bangalore, Chennai, Cochin, Pune ,what is best way to make convoy or join each other? i mean whether it should be midway or Delhi or Manali.

Better meet at Chandigadh, and start your journey from there.

Since many member will doing it for the first time, and may be only once in their entire life as you dont get chance to do these tours often, i suggest we cover the significant places and make the journey interesting. considering that we will have both cars and bikes I suggest the following route.

Day - 1 Chandigadh - Bilaspur
Day - 2 Bilaspur - Manali
Day - 4 Manali - Kaylong - Sarchu - Tandi - Pang
Day - 5 Pang - Rumtse - Leh
Day - 6 Leh - Rest for the day in Leh
Day - 7 Leh - Visit places in city and get the permits for Places around Leh region
Day - 8 Leh - South Pullu - Khardung la - North Pullu - Diskit - Hunder - Nubra Valley
Day - 9 Hunder - Khardung La - Leh
Day - 10 Leh - Chang La - Pengangtso Lake
Day - 11 PengangTso - Chang La - Leh
Day - 12 Stay in Leh
Day - 13 Leh - Lamayuru
Day - 14 Lamayuru - Mulbek - Kargil - Drass
Day - 15 Drass - Jozilla Pass - Shrinagar

From Shrinagar people can take whatever route they want, like some might come via Udhampur - Amritsar - Delhi and back to home.

Hope this information helps, i will keep on adding my experience, about each place and its significance
Old 5th October 2008, 16:40   #20
BHPian

Great information throttleking, keep it coming.

Since most of us would be first timers with mostly family members in passenger cars, the route should not be too "adventurous" since there will be a element of risk involved.
Old 5th October 2008, 16:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi throttleking,
Thanks for your information.
Lets make it happen.
It will be very useful if you post all alternate plans keeping in mind people are coming from Banglore, Pune and other places.
Old 5th October 2008, 17:40   #22
BHPian

Me in this one.Been wanting to do this for a long time.Will keep a watch on this thread.
Old 5th October 2008, 17:45   #23
BHPian

If the dates are fixed by Feb end, most of us can plan our and fiancee/familly (whoever is travelling along) office leaves accordingly.
count me in. would be a wagon R or getz as of now. hope getz can do this trip

Last edited by METISWHG : 5th October 2008 at 17:47.
Old 5th October 2008, 18:19   #24
BHPian

I am in!. This will be once in a lifetime trip.
Would love to drive down from bangalore, but my esteem will be no game for the Leh roads..

Regards,
Old 5th October 2008, 18:28   #25
BHPian

I would love to do this. Keep this thread kicking. I will watch it closelyl ...

The ONLY concern I have is the logistics, considering that I would be coming from Bangalore. If that is resolved, then guess it won't be tough for me to take 10 days off at a stretch. Am I being an idiot by saying 10 days here? Or are people talking about something like 3 weeks etc?
Old 5th October 2008, 18:51   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Great information throttleking, keep it coming.

Since most of us would be first timers with mostly family members in passenger cars, the route should not be too "adventurous" since there will be a element of risk involved.

Perhaps, there are only 2 routes, one is from Manali and another one is from Shrinagar. So actually you dont have any choice to choose the road. On the other hand let me tell you the fact about Leh-Ladhak, the road once you travelled is never the same when you go there next time.

So I proposed to start trip from Manali and return back from Kargil route or either ways, this makes sense. You should not miss the places like Lamayuru, Drass.
Old 5th October 2008, 18:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Hi throttleking,
Thanks for your information.
Lets make it happen.
It will be very useful if you post all alternate plans keeping in mind people are coming from Banglore, Pune and other places.
Ashish, give me some more and i would post complete information, about routes, food, places, risks, issues, fuel station, what to carry? and everythng else. with alternate options available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by METISWHG View Post
If the dates are fixed by Feb end, most of us can plan our and fiancee/familly (whoever is travelling along) office leaves accordingly.
count me in. would be a wagon R or getz as of now. hope getz can do this trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I am in!. This will be once in a lifetime trip.
Would love to drive down from bangalore, but my esteem will be no game for the Leh roads..

Regards,
For those who feel that their car wont make it, one of my friends is doing Leh every year in his M800 since last four years. Even if you take the Safari i might just fail to finish. So it all depends on how you prepare yourself and your ride before you hit the Leh territory.
Old 5th October 2008, 18:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

@ THROTTLKING,
as you mentioned earlier, i think june will be the best time to take this trip.
let say, @ 28may, people will start to move toward delhi/chandigad/manali.
the trip from manali onward will start from 1st june onword upto say max 14june.
14 th june should be the last day on which all must come back to their respective places.
what say.
Old 5th October 2008, 19:08   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@ THROTTLKING,
as you mentioned earlier, i think june will be the best time to take this trip.
let say, @ 28may, people will start to move toward delhi/chandigad/manali.
the trip from manali onward will start from 1st june onword upto say max 14june.
14 th june should be the last day on which all must come back to their respective places.
what say.

We can / we must draw the line in sand as far as dates are concerned, however it totally depends on when the passes open. There are instances in past when the passes opened mid-late June. But yes! we can still plan some date in June. my recommendation instead of 1st June we start from 15th June.

This is going to be great fun guys!!!
Old 5th October 2008, 19:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest, plan for the route, stopovers etc starting from day 1. You might need to plan for Bikes and Cars separately, they can travel together after Manali.

Then depending on when the pass opens, participantion and the final plan can be done.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks