Old 9th January 2009, 22:06   #166
Team-BHP Support

I am taking 12 working days off
Old 19th January 2009, 20:23   #167
adc
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have chosen the said dates, because these include 2 hols. So with 10 working days off, I get around 19 days.
Attachment 85647
Zanskar/Suru plans are in limbo, due to distanced involved.
Padum is a very nice place, and a rush from there won't do justice to it.

Then Korzok-Hanle(150kms one way) is also a big question mark.

Thats a good schedule framework to plan around. How many days extra should one allot for Zanskar area?

Last edited by adc : 19th January 2009 at 20:33.
Old 20th January 2009, 01:19   #168
Team-BHP Support

Zanskar is a three day run minimum due to distances involved
Old 1st February 2009, 19:46   #169
Senior - BHPian

July onwards to Sep are prone to heavy rains in these areas, not a good time to travel specially on unmetalled roads. Even on metalled roads, this can effect the schedules.

The monsoon might shift by a few weeks here and there.

I would say avoid the monsoons for the safety of everyone and look at a period before it. We can plan for between mid-may till August.

We should also collect the group information by Regions as there would be lead time for every group to reach a central assembly point (delhi ??), ofcourse there should be cutoff date for final confirmations.

Last edited by dadu : 1st February 2009 at 19:51.
Old 1st February 2009, 21:20   #170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
July onwards to Sep are prone to heavy rains in these areas, not a good time to travel specially on unmetalled roads. Even on metalled roads, this can effect the schedules.

The monsoon might shift by a few weeks here and there.

I would say avoid the monsoons for the safety of everyone and look at a period before it. We can plan for between mid-may till August.
Dadu, IMHO, June and July are the safest period. Followed by mid-Aug to mid-Sept.
Do remember that the entire Lahaul & Ladakh region is a rain-shadow area.
The only hitch comes at Rohtang Pass, which, for a few hours after heavy rainfall, tends to become dysfunctional and/or is simply closed. However, seldom for more than a day or two max.
Buffer days for a trip like this are MANDATORY.
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

I agree, key being the "buffer days" the later we start the higher the risk of braving the monsoons.
Old 2nd February 2009, 13:05   #172
Senior - BHPian

Guys I might be interested go too. I will be able to give a final confirmation once the dates have been tentatively decided. But I definitely will be going to Ladakh this year

Harjeev + 1
Delhi
Mahindra 550 4x4
Dates flexible
Old 2nd February 2009, 14:26   #173
BHPian

Even my participation is tentative and depends on the dates, as some family engagements are planned in Sept-Oct. I don't want to do the ladakh trip alone as I have a passenger car (WagonR) and I will need the support of a SUV/bigger car to pull me out incase I'm stuck

But its time to plan for the skid plates . So will I need skid plates for the entire car, or only the oil sump and petrol tank ? Any place to get it done cheap and good in delhi ?
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:36   #174
Senior - BHPian

Guys I need your honest opinion. Do you suggest to take along family and kids? I can come in Altis from Jaipur, but only if its practical to bring one 5 year old and one 10 months old at that time, with my wife? I know it might sound funny.. but I hope, may be you all say yes.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:45   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
I don't want to do the ladakh trip alone as I have a passenger car (WagonR) and I will need the support of a SUV/bigger car to pull me out incase I'm stuck.
Shakensoul, many WagonRs, Santros, Altos etc. do the trip every year, in STOCK condition. Can't recall any that I've seen being loaded on to a truck, except after a bad crash maybe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Guys I need your honest opinion. Do you suggest to take along family and kids? I can come in Altis from Jaipur, but only if its practical to bring one 5 year old and one 10 months old at that time, with my wife? I know it might sound funny.. but I hope, may be you all say yes.
The 5 year old would do fine! About the infant, the problem would be how to make out whether AMS has affected or it's something routine. Some Googling required! Don't have any information off hand.
Old 2nd February 2009, 17:57   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I see no issues till manali, beyond that travelling with infant can become difficult.

Found this on searching, No issues in general but should be prepared for contingencies.

Last edited by dadu : 2nd February 2009 at 18:05.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:11   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Shakensoul, many WagonRs, Santros, Altos etc. do the trip every year, in STOCK condition. Can't recall any that I've seen being loaded on to a truck, except after a bad crash maybe!
I know a wagonR would be able to make it to Leh and back, but I want to take every bit of precaution before I venture out to the mountains. I don't want to come back with a dented or leaking underbelly
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:22   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can come in Altis from Jaipur, but only if its practical to bring one 5 year old and one 10 months old at that time, with my wife? .
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
The 5 year old would do fine! About the infant, the problem would be how to make out whether AMS has affected or it's something routine. Some Googling required! Don't have any information off hand.
Ym-enjn, here's an article to disappoint you! http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/reprint/152/7/683.pdf

Do note that it is not recommended to take infants to very high altitudes.
Main problem being diagnosis of what they are suffering from. Pre-verbal children!
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I know a wagonR would be able to make it to Leh and back, but I want to take every bit of precaution before I venture out to the mountains. I don't want to come back with a dented or leaking underbelly
I know how you feel, but there is strong evidence to suggest that the driver matters! An unwise move can rupture underbellies!

And, please, if you want your car to emerge unscathed, it would be advisable to take a taxi.
In any case, most Maruti cars will suffer from some rattles after being driven on bad mountain roads. Actually a WagonR could do with higher profile tyres, as I have found the stock rims take too much of a beating on mountain trips. At 34k kms & 5 years age, I'd traded in my WagonR for a new one. Main reasons were: too many rattles and three dented rims!

Last edited by anupmathur : 2nd February 2009 at 18:31.
Old 2nd February 2009, 18:44   #180
Sha
BHPian

Quote:
last year I was in keylong after visiting spiti valley, our hired scorpio crossed one stretch(broken bridge) with difficulty, me and my friend were sure no sedan can cross the stretch. while refueling at Tada what we saw shocked us, a WagonR with 5 Adults and three kids(5-8 yrs) and on top fully loaded luggage. when that wagonR has crossed then yours might also can go only driver skills is required.
next time I have decided to hire 800 or Alto which is the best vehicle for himaliayan trip.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks