Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2009, 14:59   #286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
SamtheLeo, you are over estimating this trip. There is no need for backup trucks and the like. The only problem area is to get hold of reliable bikes! That rules out the ones that seem to rule the rental roost - Enfields!
Unicorns, Karizmas and Pulsars (150, 200, whatever) do this route many times over without support vehicles!
So are you saying that Delhi to Leh can be done in 3 days. If it is so then a Leh trip from Delhi can be completed within 10 days.
Old 29th April 2009, 15:01   #287
Team-BHP Support

Yup.
Delhi-Manali (Day 1)
Manali-Keylong (Day 2)
Keylong-Leh (Day 3).

PS: I start most probably 21st August. Independence day problems will be over by then, and the tourist season will also be waning, which means cheaper hotels. If we are lucky sept sometimes sees light snow at Panagong Tso!
Old 29th April 2009, 15:21   #288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
So are you saying that Delhi to Leh can be done in 3 days. If it is so then a Leh trip from Delhi can be completed within 10 days.
Depends on whether you are the touch & go types or the tourer kind!

Alas, I do understand that we all have limitations of leave, but there I'd say, better to do it than not do it at all!
Old 29th April 2009, 15:46   #289
Senior - BHPian

You can do a return trip in 4 days

Some certified awesome boys have done it in 5 days including a day chilling out at Alchi.

@Anup ji : That is the age old subtly prejudice again - tour - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary does not agree to the distinction you made above. Touring is touring. Let's just say touch n go versus the leisurely style of touring.

Last edited by phamilyman : 29th April 2009 at 15:48.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:03   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Some certified awesome boys have done it in 5 days including a day chilling out at Alchi.

@Anup ji : That is the age old subtly prejudice again - tour - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary does not agree to the distinction you made above. Touring is touring. Let's just say touch n go versus the leisurely style of touring.
Yes, that's the plan. Let's c how much we can stick to it.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:04   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Hi,

I am certainly intersted, would certainly want to be a part of group. We are 4 person & plan to take 2-3 bikes on rent. However we need some group where the luggages can be carried in a truck & may be we can all get some combined help (like mechanics etc in case of failures).

Suggest How do we do it. PM me. FYI I am based in Delhi.
I'll PM you regarding my plan. We do not need backup vehicles, for luggages you can carry on your bike. Need to purchase those cramster bags. As somebody already pointed, you can not trust on those rented enfields. I'm taking mine with me.
Old 29th April 2009, 16:06   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Akas, why so much time for the Leh to Delhi sector?
Leh-Sarchu, Sarchu-Manali and Manali-Delhi is what most bikers do!
I need to enjoy the ride, not want to be in hurry. BTW this is my first trip, so whatever i planned after reading Ladakh trips on web. May be it can be done in 3 days. I'll let you know how long it took.
Old 29th April 2009, 17:08   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Yup.
Delhi-Manali (Day 1)
Manali-Keylong (Day 2)
Keylong-Leh (Day 3).

PS: I start most probably 21st August. Independence day problems will be over by then, and the tourist season will also be waning, which means cheaper hotels. If we are lucky sept sometimes sees light snow at Panagong Tso!
Quote:
Depends on whether you are the touch & go types or the tourer kind!

Alas, I do understand that we all have limitations of leave, but there I'd say, better to do it than not do it at all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Here is the problem for me. I stay in Hyderabad and its takes atleast 2 days for me to reach Delhi by road whichever way I take. I don't mind doing the touch and go (Once reached Hampi 24 Hrs late and stayed for 12 hours in the night and left) and rightly said by Anup, its better to do it than not do it at all!
Old 30th April 2009, 11:19   #294
Team-BHP Support

Milecruncher, you can start on wednesday early morning, reach Delhi by thursday night.
That way you will reach Leh on Sunday night, and be back in Delhi on saturday if you skip the spiti loop of my XLS.
So you have to take 2 full weeks + 3 days of leave
Old 30th April 2009, 12:34   #295
Senior - BHPian

Thanks TSK

BTW, Is there anything wrong in doing the Leh Circuit in June?
Old 30th April 2009, 12:51   #296
Team-BHP Support

Nothing wrong. Its just that I can't get leave before end june, which means tourist season will be in full swing. By end of august tourist season wanes, therefore hotels etc., can be had for cheaper. Moreover there is chance of light snowfall at some passes, which is very welcome!
Old 30th April 2009, 12:57   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Nothing wrong. Its just that I can't get leave before end june, which means tourist season will be in full swing. By end of august tourist season wanes, therefore hotels etc., can be had for cheaper. Moreover there is chance of light snowfall at some passes, which is very welcome!
Ok.

I have trip to Delhi in June and hence was scoping the possibility for a June Trip.
Old 30th April 2009, 12:58   #298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akas_chauhan View Post
I'm planning for Leh trip during last week of july.
Is anybody intersted joining me?

Here are plans.
1. Ship my Thunderbird to Delhi
2. I'll fly to Delhi from Bangalore
3. Ride from Delhi to Leh via Manali(5days including 1 day saty at Manali)
4. stay in Leh for 2 days
5. Ride from Leh to Delhi (4days)
6. Ship back Bike and fly to bangalore

If anybody interested PM me.
Two of us will be going from Hyderabad - same method (shipping Thunderbird to Delhi/Chandigarh) - but just a little later - we will be starting around the 15th of August. It's going to be a longish trip for us - going via Manali & back from Srinagar.

Anyone else looking at those dates?
Old 30th April 2009, 17:52   #299
BHPian

Quote:
SamtheLeo, you are over estimating this trip. There is no need for backup trucks and the like. The only problem area is to get hold of reliable bikes! That rules out the ones that seem to rule the rental roost - Enfields!
Unicorns, Karizmas and Pulsars (150, 200, whatever) do this route many times over without support vehicles!

Yeah Anup I understand what you are saying. But i have seen groups of 20 -30 bikes travelling (free from any luggage) & single truck carrying all the luggage (not trucks) , in this we have many benefits like

1. No Luggage , totallly free to enjoy
2. Group Safety
3. Mechanic also available
3. Even if some thing / someone has a problem can be dealt with.

I think thats a better way to do this route.

However would also like to say, if you have a Bullet which is tested & tried (like your own) there is no more reliable bike then that.

Even if all that is not there I am interested How do you plan to do it,
Old 30th April 2009, 18:10   #300
Distinguished - BHPian

Who was going to do this trip in an Alto or Honda City or Astar? Anyone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks