Team-BHP > Shifting gears > The Team-BHP Meet Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2009, 12:12   #256
Team-BHP Support

I plan to get permits from ITBP for Marismek la. I am told they are stricter with bikes than SUVs
Here is the revised itenary, this is looking almost final. I will be back in Delhi on Wednesday itself, which will leave a lot of time, and we will be well within 3 weeks.
For those who want to convoy with me but have just 2 full weeks from Delhi, they can go from Leh-Delhi without Tso-Moriri., this way they will be in Delhi on Sunday itself
Team Bhp At Leh. Anyone Interested?-517479271_yzzswxl.jpg
Old 21st April 2009, 13:03   #257
BHPian

wow ! came across this thread only today and am totaly hooked. I am in for this trip.
@tsk - do you have any specific dates in mind for the 19 day trip? (Sep 19 by any chance??)
I have a scorpio 2.6 crde and would love to join you convoy.
Old 21st April 2009, 13:23   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smats View Post
wow ! came across this thread only today and am totaly hooked. I am in for this trip.
@tsk - do you have any specific dates in mind for the 19 day trip? (Sep 19 by any chance??)
I have a scorpio 2.6 crde and would love to join you convoy.
Hi smats, I was earlier planning sept, but I was told that freak snowfall has greater change in september.
So the plan is around mid august. Start on the 14th. Tourist season is about to end, but its not that off season and hotels are still open.
My final date will be confirmed around first week of may when I apply for leave.
Old 21st April 2009, 14:20   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Hi smats, I was earlier planning sept, but I was told that freak snowfall has greater change in september.
So the plan is around mid august. Start on the 14th. Tourist season is about to end, but its not that off season and hotels are still open.
My final date will be confirmed around first week of may when I apply for leave.
oh ! sept19 weekend i cud ve managed with fewer leaves (with sept 22,28 and oct2 as holidays). With the mood of the economy, am scareed to even think of 10+ days leaves...

but will surely follow this thread and try to work out something
Old 21st April 2009, 18:25   #260
Senior - BHPian

Guys anybody planning to do the trip in mid July??
Old 22nd April 2009, 01:21   #261

I am also planning for this trip in mid July. I will be starting from Idindakarai, Tamil Nadu (a small village near Kanyakumari).
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:07   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

I would say late September/ early October is the best. September does see some freak snow fall - receding monsoon effects. Later on there is window of almost a month-month and half, up to almost Diwali. before any heavy snow falls occur. Some on day fall are cleared in a day.
BUT all this is experience and actual weather is only controlled by the one above 8-)
Old 22nd April 2009, 07:59   #263
Team-BHP Support

But sept oct will be very cold also. End aug, early sept will be more enjoyable!
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:20   #264
Senior - BHPian

by that logic its best to go end may - because while the roads are cleared, the snow's still next to the roads. I still recall a magical Baralachala, with fully frozen Surajtal as well as last 20km from the ZZB camp amidst walls of snow
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:37   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes you can enjoy snow but also remember that it will also impede in your wandering off the road. The area has some incredible plains that can be traversed even in a car (but never do it if you are alone). Also prevents hiking off the roadside even for couple of hours that can beget you some incredible sights. PLUS while the road is cleared it is not repaired in early part of the season.

Yes late in to the year it is colder but very less crowd and less jostling for parking even in Leh bazaar what to talk of Khardungla top!! Much less water / streams roaring across the road and creating landslides that block traffic - some times for a day or two.

One thing is sure. Whatever season it is a journey worth doing. And unlike tsk1979's program I would do a loop with return via Kashmir. 8-)
Old 22nd April 2009, 08:56   #266
Senior - BHPian

If you are going in Aug it makes more sense as some of the festivals like the Sindhu Darshan and the Hemis festival are all around 10-15 Aug. But then you need to check for the dates and plan accordingly. September, Crossing Changla can be a gamble if there is freak snow. Moreover, the weather could be brutal in case you are caught/stranded outdoors towards late September.
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:38   #267
Team-BHP Support

sudev, thats the reason I am not going in July, which is supposedly the "hot season".
I am hoping that if I reach around Aug 17th or so, the following 2-3 weeks should not have too much rush!
Old 22nd April 2009, 09:45   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I would say late September/ early October is the best. September does see some freak snow fall - receding monsoon effects. Later on there is window of almost a month-month and half, up to almost Diwali. before any heavy snow falls occur. Some on day fall are cleared in a day.
BUT all this is experience and actual weather is only controlled by the one above 8-)
Well i am new to this and would like to know what problems July end could get us into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajujey View Post
I am also planning for this trip in mid July. I will be starting from Idindakarai, Tamil Nadu (a small village near Kanyakumari).
wow..thats going to be 1 real long drive...so lets try and match our dates so that we can go together, what say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Yes you can enjoy snow but also remember that it will also impede in your wandering off the road. The area has some incredible plains that can be traversed even in a car (but never do it if you are alone). Also prevents hiking off the roadside even for couple of hours that can beget you some incredible sights. PLUS while the road is cleared it is not repaired in early part of the season.

Yes late in to the year it is colder but very less crowd and less jostling for parking even in Leh bazaar what to talk of Khardungla top!! Much less water / streams roaring across the road and creating landslides that block traffic - some times for a day or two.

One thing is sure. Whatever season it is a journey worth doing. And unlike tsk1979's program I would do a loop with return via Kashmir. 8-)
Ya even i plan to do the same loop!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderernomad View Post
If you are going in Aug it makes more sense as some of the festivals like the Sindhu Darshan and the Hemis festival are all around 10-15 Aug. But then you need to check for the dates and plan accordingly. September, Crossing Changla can be a gamble if there is freak snow. Moreover, the weather could be brutal in case you are caught/stranded outdoors towards late September.
Well from the festival POV it may make more sence but i dont wanna be in a situation where i have to cancel my trip due to something going wrong in that area due to 15th Aug.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:16   #269
Team-BHP Support

I have skipped kashmir due to 2 reasons
1. Political issues
2. I have 3 weeks of and my itenary leaves me with 6 vacant days, which means that if we have the stamina, we will go to Kaza from Sarchu instead of Manali, and come back via Kalpa, seeing pin valley on the way.
Old 22nd April 2009, 13:39   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Have decided to chuck out spiti, since it makes more sense to enjoy Zanskar and Hunder etc., more.
Attachment 127922
Has been following this thread and your plan....

Good idea to leave Spiti out, Gramphoo to Loasar is known to be a dicey section any time of the year. It would make sense to spend time Zanskar, Padam. Many peopole don't do this leg due to time constraints, would be good to finish it while it's still virgin.

Planning to hit the road to Leh in September, 09. Your trip information would be of great use.

Attaching a drive direction map I made from my route research; you must be having all the information you need.... still it may be useful.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
=====
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ledakh-spiti-drive-direction1.ramky.pdf (82.8 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd April 2009 at 13:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks