Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2009, 09:28   #1111
Senior - BHPian

Pinging again .. Can some one please post the normal value range of Camber,Caster and Toe for 2.2 VTT Safari ? I am sure everyone is getting the alighment done regularly

Also is 1 deg 12' Camber on front left wheel normal ? Where can I get camber adjusted ?

Also a tip for new Safari owners please get alignment checked as soon as you take delivery and bug T.A.S.S before you fit alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Ok so here is the story I got the Tyre rotation , balancing and alignment done last week,
The Camber value if 1deg 12' which is out side the range -30' to + 30' I asked the alignment guy and he told that Safari Camber is fixed and only toe can be adjusted and showed me camber nut in front which is indeed welded.

So the question is is the camber value normal or a defect what is normal range of camber for Safari ?

Can some one post the camber value of their Safari and please also tell if the Camber value 42' off the given range a big problem ?

I could have posted this in Tyre and wheels thread but the question is specific to new Safari.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:11   #1112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
The drive by wire on the Safari is very sensitive to throttle inputs. If you blip the throttle the ac cuts off. This can happen while normal driving or climbing even. If the ac cuts off while climbing, its probably because you blipped too fast. I used to experience this earlier until I realised That it was my fault and not a technical snag. Ever since this does not happen any more.
Thanks for the comment, jaysmokesleaves! Hope i learn this technique soon.

Off-topic: Last weekend was the first inter city trip for the Safari, after the retrofitments. It returned 14.4kmpl with AC for the onward journey (26.78 litres for 385 kms), and with almost 40% of the trip over bad roads, and speeds being between 70-80 kmph over well-paved roads. Quite happy with the average returned. Taking it for an alignment this weekend, as it took a lot of beating over the bad roads.
Hi amitk26, will post the readings taken during this visit.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:13   #1113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Just a clarifier, this does not disable them but its a method to switch them off immediately. I posted this long time back in this thread only.
So Dadu, does this mean one cannot disable this feature at all. Is it because its linked to the ECU and messing with that would blah blah blah.....
Old 27th August 2009, 10:21   #1114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidcruise79 View Post
So Dadu, does this mean one cannot disable this feature at all. Is it because its linked to the ECU and messing with that would blah blah blah.....
Had got this disabled some time back (by getting the wiring harness unplugged, behind the glovebox), and had to ask the dealer to revert it, as the cabin lights wouldn't work, hehe. Sorry if i'm wrong. I think the relay for these lights is the same.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:37   #1115
Senior - BHPian

@Sid,
Would recommend that you do not try to disable it or try messing with ECU just for this little "bug" that you feel. What I do, most of the times when I lock after using HL is, first click on "unlock" and then "lock". this ensures that the 'follow me home' does not work get activated.

I reckon this is just a habit to get used to.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:53   #1116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
@Sid,
Would recommend that you do not try to disable it or try messing with ECU just for this little "bug" that you feel. What I do, most of the times when I lock after using HL is, first click on "unlock" and then "lock". this ensures that the 'follow me home' does not work get activated.

I reckon this is just a habit to get used to.
This is great if the HL's do not come on at all.

So I guess the procedure should be:

1. Switch off HL's, Fog Lamps and parking lights completely,
2. Switch off engine,
3. Press Unlock on the remote,
4. Get out of the vehicle,
5. Close doors, and
6. Press lock on the remote.

Will try this tonight....
Old 27th August 2009, 11:20   #1117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Switch off engine,
5. Close doors, and

The HL will come on only when you take out the keys and open the door.

I would add one step to the ones above:

2.5: Remove key from ignition

Old 27th August 2009, 13:48   #1118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is great if the HL's do not come on at all.

So I guess the procedure should be:

2. Switch off engine,
5. Close doors, and

SID I would say don't bother too much about this , HID is actually 35 Watts IIRC so quite less then stock light. Secondly Safari has 135 AH Battery and huge alternator to charge it so current drawn for this feature is minuscule. In case you are particular on power savings change cabin lights to LED 3 set of cabin lights of 12W replaced with 1- 2 W LEDs each will nearly offset the 35 watts.

Last but not the least watchman , good Samaritans and neighbors will get used to follow me home quickly and will stop bothering you but in case you follow 1 - 6 the learning cure will not be complete and they will bug you every time you are in hurry and skip the procedure.
Old 27th August 2009, 14:29   #1119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
SID I would say don't bother too much about this , HID is actually 35 Watts IIRC so quite less then stock light. Secondly Safari has 135 AH Battery and huge alternator to charge it so current drawn for this feature is minuscule. In case you are particular on power savings change cabin lights to LED 3 set of cabin lights of 12W replaced with 1- 2 W LEDs each will nearly offset the 35 watts.

Last but not the least watchman , good Samaritans and neighbors will get used to follow me home quickly and will stop bothering you but in case you follow 1 - 6 the learning cure will not be complete and they will bug you every time you are in hurry and skip the procedure.
Thanks Amit,
I guess I was worried looking at the powwer rating mentioned on the HID ballasts.

Another thing regarding HID's that i wanted to know is that does flicking the lever in the day for indicating the oncoming vehicle to make way or in the evening/night when flashing between Head & Dipper continuosly while overtaking, ruin the HID's???
Old 27th August 2009, 15:31   #1120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Do you really push that hard ???
Actually demonstrated to me by a svc engineer
Old 28th August 2009, 18:20   #1121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
The HL will come on only when you take out the keys and open the door.

I would add one step to the ones above:

2.5: Remove key from ignition

I tried this method and as elaborated in your PM to me, but the lights com on as soon as I open the door after pressing unlock on the remote.
Old 28th August 2009, 18:43   #1122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I tried this method and as elaborated in your PM to me, but the lights com on as soon as I open the door after pressing unlock on the remote.
read my earlier post, you have to get out and then press unlock then Lock key's.
Old 28th August 2009, 19:39   #1123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
strange. Just tried it and I am able to disable the light before opening the door!
Old 28th August 2009, 20:05   #1124
Senior - BHPian

Safari retrofit upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
I got a call from the dealer today
Have taken the appointment for next week. My beast has done about 4.5k kms till now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Hi folks, could you list down the changes you are feeling after the new 2.2 upgrade by TATA. Many people mentioned about the engine smoothness and increased torque etc.

Just coming back from TASS with my Safari upgraded.

Immediate changes noticed:

the engine vibration at low rpm in 3/4 gear is gone and power delivery feels linear.

Window glasses are rolling up and down smoother. Previously glass winder motors appeared to labor more.

The slight warmish touch of ac blower switch regulator knob (when on) is gone.

Roof mounted AC chiller was making some gurgling noise on startup.Noticed it twice. Need to test more. Probably they charged the refrigerant?

TASS, proactively tweaked the clutch setting. Now gear shift to 1 and 2 is breeze.

TASS was not aware of tail door hinge/latch upgrade- same was not done.

Total cost Rs. 126/- (brake oil topped up and replaced a tail light bulb).

My beast has now completed 5k in six months and a half yearly appraisal is due. Hope I will be able to write one soon.

Cheers,
-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 28th August 2009 at 20:08.
Old 29th August 2009, 11:16   #1125
BHPian

My Safari has now completed 1800 kms over a period of 1 month.Things i noticed
1)Fuel quality is an important aspect and affects overall smoothness of the car.
Even though i fill only shell diesel, there was difference in perceived quality between fuel bunks.I found the Old Madras Road Shell bunk better than the newly started one in Vignan Nagar.Could this be due to water seepage into the diesel storage?Infact i noticed black smoke.Later on refilling at old madras road shell bunk, this issue has disappeared and also overall smoothness has improved.
2)The car takes a while to reach optimum temperature reading.After it reaches the mark the smoothness,refinement and power delivery improves considerably.
3)Some squeaks have set in from the seats which needs to be rectified.This could be attributed to the roads i drive the car,some of which are almost like offroading tracks...
4)Fuel efficiency can vary drastically depending on the style of driving.
5)The recommended tyre pressure gives a bouncy ride.I used to put 30 on all tyres.Now experimenting with 32 at the rear and 30 at the front.
6)Overall the experience is good.Next week planning for a drive to kerala

Last edited by freewheelburnin : 29th August 2009 at 11:18.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks