Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 22:17   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

I would suggest you take it to a non-A.S.S competent service station as well.
Old 17th September 2008, 09:49   #17
BHPian

jacs,

First things first ...

What is the exact "new" noise that you are hearing from the engine. How is it sounding? Please let the experts know about this so that it is easier to pin point the cause or fault.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:19   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Jacs, aren't you jumping the gun a wee bit here?
Just because of a MINOR new sound from the engine, please do not presume that a so-called minor overhaul of the engine is required as suggested by the asses.
Do seek more opinions as to the source of that minor sound.
+1 to that. The crucial point is that the power delivery, oil consumption and temperature are normal. A rebuild is surely NOT the solution.
Old 17th September 2008, 12:35   #19
Senior - BHPian

What sort of noise is it? I doubt it needs an overhaul. My CRDi had done almost 90000kms without any engine problems whatsoever. But there is a tensioner bearing which needs replacing around 80000kms which could be a cause for the noise, but overhaul I don't think so.

Drifter
Old 17th September 2008, 13:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Strange noises usually mean
1. Belt issues
2. Bearing issues
Check AC idler bearing, Alternator nearing, AC compressor bearing, Timing belt pulley bearing etc., etc., first.
Do you see any blue smoke?
Quote:
Jacs, aren't you jumping the gun a wee bit here?
Just because of a MINOR new sound from the engine, please do not presume that a so-called minor overhaul of the engine is required as suggested by the asses.
Do seek more opinions as to the source of that minor sound.
If nothing seems to materialize, try to get used to it and live with it. TILL the time you have more serious pointers to something being amiss with the engine!
dude here are my two paise, just open the bonnet while idling the car, keep your a close ear to the engine and listen to the alternator belt and whine, ask some one to turn off the engine if you notice any whine/ping kind of noise from this belt when the engine switches off but this belt usually takes a few turns more before coming to a halt and this noise can be clearly made out, if so then belt replacement should cost nothing more than 4000 including labour etc, my crdi is up for such a change, though premature i would call it as my car is just 45000kms done, i am too help less and i need to change this part.

i strongly recommend what TSK and mathur have said, get the car checked and greased at necessary points, or live with it till it really points to some thing, do get the compresssion test in all three cylinders done, from more than 2 Hyundai service centers, and these tests from more than two hyundai service centers should hopefully diagnose the problem.

all the best and i am watching this thread closely too.

dude why not take a viedo of the engine with this sound and paste us a linky of the same we might be able to help you out better, rather understand the problem better, all the best hope this is only a minor thing and not like some thing the hyundai guys are making it look.
Old 17th September 2008, 13:57   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
... if so then belt replacement should cost nothing more than 4000 including labour etc, my crdi is up for such a change, though premature i would call it as my car is just 45000kms done,
Rs. 4000/- for a change of alternator drive belt?!

Is that what it costs for the Accent? I'd feel utterly cheated!
Old 17th September 2008, 15:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

@rider60: Is your car still under warranty?
If yes, then don't belts come under warranty?
If no, then note down the size number on the belt. You need to search patiently all over the belt to find this. Then, you can buy it from the market get it changed at a competent modern garage.
Old 17th September 2008, 21:07   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Rs. 4000/- for a change of alternator drive belt?!

Is that what it costs for the Accent? I'd feel utterly cheated!
sorry my mistake i checked again thats the cost for the engine belt, the alternator belt is 1500-1800 approx including labour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
@rider60: Is your car still under warranty?
If yes, then don't belts come under warranty?
If no, then note down the size number on the belt. You need to search patiently all over the belt to find this. Then, you can buy it from the market get it changed at a competent modern garage.
well yes nitrous i can do that but right now, i am just done finding the right retrofiting components this way, i love to keep my alternator running for another 100K kms so would not dare mess with it, after all it may ruin my ICE, the is not under warranty any more though.

well i would like to know on an average how long would the alternator belt last on these CRDi accents?/???
Old 18th September 2008, 12:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Yesterday the car was taken for examination to Kochi.

Hyundai Engineers has confirmed that the strange noise from the hood is nothing but the piston knocks and they proved the engine oil consumption had increased bit more than normal. Since we used to change oil every 5000Kms(Hundai recommends change in 10K), we couldnt make out the difference. According to Hyundai, the pistons and sleaves are worn out and would run another 10000Kms without overhaul if oil status is attended on time. It needs replacement and the whole work including labour would cost between 50-60K

We were happy to pay and get the work done if it will run atleast 50000Kms after the overhaul, but the warranty offered after engine overhaul is just for 6months/10K which ever is early. This makes it difficult to take a decision whether to do the overhaul or get rid of the car.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi jacs,

> It needs replacement and the whole work including labour would cost
> between 50-60K

That is indeed bad news.

> This makes it difficult to take a decision whether to do the overhaul or get > rid of the car.

You are sure to get a lower value for the car if you sold it now. It would be better off to overhaul and run the car.

> Since we used to change oil every 5000Kms(Hundai recommends change in > 10K),

So more frequent oil changes (than recommended) is no guarantee for prolonged engine life!

Though I sold off my Nov 2004 Viva CRDi for other reasons, I fell relieved now as it would have been that mileage or more by now.

All the best.
Old 18th September 2008, 12:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

I would still recommend that you get the compression checked (it's a relative value, against the 'best' cylinder) and monitor the oil consumption carefully.
Please do not go in for this overhaul just yet.
You said it yourself that you did not feel any discernible loss in performance, nor increased oil consumption. And do not change the oil at 5000 kms this time, unless the physical appearance is distinctly grotty!
Old 18th September 2008, 13:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieroid View Post
what exactly is the inherit problem with the engine that it really needs a shot at 60-80k kms. While a few say it can last over 1L happily. Does this mean, the others are ignorant of the problems, or there is some real vodoo with a chosen few engines.
The way one uses a car [here CRDi] will reflect on your maintenance issues. Please note that the Accent CRDis were the first generation Common rail systems. Most issues are due to fuel quality as well as improper start up . shut off, of the engine as well as mad accelaration. There are quite a few CRDis that have run over 100,000 kms, IMO, though the common failures occur 90K +.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
If you do the 50k "overhaul", all the cash saved in fuel will be spent on the so called "rebuild".
One enjoys the torque of the CRDi - Does not think of cash savings here: LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
As a owner of a 59000 km Accent CRDi ... I am watching this thread very closely...
So am I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
My CRDi had done almost 90000kms without any engine problems whatsoever. But there is a tensioner bearing which needs replacing around 80000kms
Wow, you are ahead of me bro, mine has clocked around 65K kms and going strong - The things I've replaced are all normal parts due to wear and tear. The car still clocks 170 and gives an FE of 14, or cruises at 120-140 and returns 20 - 16 kmpl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
i am just done finding the right retrofiting components this way, i love to keep my alternator running for another 100K kms so would not dare mess with it, after all it may ruin my ICE, the is not under warranty any more though.

well i would like to know on an average how long would the alternator belt last on these CRDi accents?/???
Yeah, your ICE rocks and Nitrous could not audition that! My cars alternator belts seems to be holding up I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Hyundai Engineers has confirmed that the strange noise from the hood is nothing but the piston knocks and they proved the engine oil consumption had increased bit more than normal. Since we used to change oil every 5000Kms(Hundai recommends change in 10K), we couldnt make out the difference. According to Hyundai, the pistons and sleaves are worn out and would run another 10000Kms without overhaul if oil status is attended on time. It needs replacement and the whole work including labour would cost between 50-60K
Quote:
I would still recommend that you get the compression checked (it's a relative value, against the 'best' cylinder) and monitor the oil consumption carefully.
Please do not go in for this overhaul just yet.
You said it yourself that you did not feel any discernible loss in performance, nor increased oil consumption. And do not change the oil at 5000 kms this time, unless the physical appearance is distinctly grotty!
I'd agree here with anupmathur, do NOT go in for the overhaul yet!

Get another opinion from preferably an expert!
Old 18th September 2008, 14:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

You changed engine oil at every 5000 kms and still lost the engine at 60K kms?
Where did it go wrong?
Old 18th September 2008, 15:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Sort of confirms that there is no point in doing oil changes at intervals lesser than what the manufacturer recommends.
Old 18th September 2008, 16:52   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

This 5000KM oil change is an initiative started by our former driver who was also an Auto crazy and indo mechanic(Used to service Ambys and Mahindras). According to him, its good for Diesel vehicles

@anupmathur, I think yesterday the Hyundai guys did compression test only to check the oil usage. Need to confirm.

@headers, the car was mostly driven by the former driver who drives it with great care and offlate by some other drivers too. But never it was driven rashly. I shall share the snaps, still she looks and feels virgin.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks