Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2014, 17:29   #1216
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 176
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
1.3 Multijet needs only 3.1 Liter with oil filter change. Though it can take more, MUL advice's to stick to 3.1 to avoid turbo seal failure.
I wonder what is the reason for this big difference? Both are diesel common rail engines with a difference of 15 bhp (considering FGT 1.3) and just 100 CC difference. May be it is the size of turbocharger which is making the difference.

My 1.5 Verna also has the same capacity of 5.3 ltrs. Again a 100 cc difference in i20 and Verna but same engine oil appetite.

Totally confused with this disparity!
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 17:36   #1217
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 16,668
Thanked: 5,087 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
I wonder what is the reason for this big difference?
============
Totally confused with this disparity!
More to do with engine block design and oil pan capacity, modern designs are more efficient and are very environmentally conscious. So the designs would lean towards reducing consumption of fossil fuels including engine oil. Yes a very large turbo with dedicated oil cooler might need a bit more of oil, but i don't that is the case above.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 17:58   #1218
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 176
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.*UPDATE*3 Years/60k Kms service rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
More to do with engine block design and oil pan capacity, modern designs are more efficient and are very environmentally conscious. So the designs would lean towards reducing consumption of fossil fuels including engine oil. Yes a very large turbo with dedicated oil cooler might need a bit more of oil, but i don't that is the case above.
So in that case Hyundai will win the competition hands down (Engine size to engine oil capacity ratio)

That is some good saving for Swift/Vista and MJD fellas who use synthetic oil. Straightaway Rs. 1500 saved (Considering Delvac1 for 750/- per ltr) and some 500 bucks if using mineral oil.

As you said it is the engine block design and some other technical aspects which decides this theory. Only Hyundai can tell the reason behind.
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 18:01   #1219
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeep.pandya View Post
My 1.5 Verna also has the same capacity of 5.3 ltrs. Again a 100 cc difference in i20 and Verna but same engine oil appetite.

Totally confused with this disparity!
Isn't the Verna a VGT? And Mortimer a bigger capacity engine + intercooler so tp keep both filed appropriately the design of the oil pan would be different from the 1.3 MJD/DDiS.

1298 cc is the MJD and around 1498cc could be the Verna so I am guessing the difference of the engine oil quantity.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 18:34   #1220
BHPian
 
sudeep.pandya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Chhindwara(M.P)
Posts: 176
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't the Verna a VGT? And Mortimer a bigger capacity engine + intercooler so tp keep both filed appropriately the design of the oil pan would be different from the 1.3 MJD/DDiS.

1298 cc is the MJD and around 1498cc could be the Verna so I am guessing the difference of the engine oil quantity.

Anurag.
Hi buddy,

We are considering liter (Displacement) to liter (Oil quantity) comparison (Hyundai crdi vs MJD/DDIS)
MJD/DDIS - 1.3 Engine - 3.1 Liter of oil
Hyundai CRDI - 1.4 & 1.5 Engine - 5.3 Liter of oil
That is some good 1.8 Liter difference for mere 100/200 CC variation

Apparently it is a major design difference between both the common rail engines.
sudeep.pandya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 18:58   #1221
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't the Verna a VGT? And Mortimer a bigger capacity engine + intercooler so tp keep both filed appropriately the design of the oil pan would be different from the 1.3 MJD/DDiS.

1298 cc is the MJD and around 1498cc could be the Verna so I am guessing the difference of the engine oil quantity.

Anurag.
Why should oil be present in the intercooler? Won't it obstruct the airflow?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2014, 21:25   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Why should oil be present in the intercooler? Won't it obstruct the airflow?
Sorry I meant the turbo cooling. The Flow and quantity that has to pass to keep the turbo safe also should be taken into consideration.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2014, 10:26   #1223
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I'm very much satisfied with Shell . Normally I drive around 1500 KM in a month. So, ideally the oil change should be done every 4th month. But since Maruti recommends oil change at 10K KM I take the liberty to change oil at 7.5K KM or 5 month.
Mmm - Interesting - @archat

Sharing my usage pattern

Usage of my Accent CRDi is quite similar to yours where in I complete just around 2k / month but I use Delvac 1 so that I can complete my service every 5 1/2 month. The Swift on the other hand though completes just around 1k in a month and complete 8k in 6 months which is the reason for using Delvac 1

I like Delvac 1 as it gives me 10k service interval and excellent protection. May be you could try Delvac 1 once and keep us posted.
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 09:53   #1224
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Baripada
Posts: 377
Thanked: 85 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

For first time I want to use synthetic in my 40k Verna 1.6 CRDI Fluidic. Only available oil here is castrol edge. Surprised to see that the specification is API SN/CF & another API SM/CF. Car manual says to use API CH4. Has any one used castrol edge? How is it that so pricy oil has CF specification whereas for petrol engine it is Sm and SN.

Please advise whether to go for edge.

Thanks
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 11:27   #1225
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
For first time I want to use synthetic in my 40k Verna 1.6 CRDI Fluidic. Only available oil here is castrol edge. Surprised to see that the specification is API SN/CF & another API SM/CF. Car manual says to use API CH4. Has any one used castrol edge? How is it that so pricy oil has CF specification whereas for petrol engine it is Sm and SN.

Please advise whether to go for edge.

Thanks
The best synthetic brew for CRDi heart has been Mobil Delvac 1. Pls read about its ownership experience in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
At 80 kmph @ 5th the engine is revving at 1980-2000 rpm which is the peak torque range and turbo spools up and moreover this is the average speed maintained on most of the highways so how the engine feel at that speeds is what I am concerned and IMO, I maintain those speeds most of the times on highway, hence enquired

My Swift ZDi is at 3500 kms (1 month 10 days old) and shall be getting it's first oil change after the 5K service as MASS is still adamant on 10K kms oil change and don't want to keep the oil for so long. I am thinking to fill in mineral oil.

Please help which oil and should I choose?!

Anurag.
@anurag - Had finally the opportunity to drive @80 in 5th gear and the rpm was hovering just around 1800 but to maintain a steady 100 kmph the engine's rpm was just around 2300 ~ 2400

VDi rides on 185/70-R14

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th February 2014 at 08:00. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-Quote feature instead of typing one post after another withing 30 minutes
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 14:56   #1226
Distinguished - BHPian
 
a4anurag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 8,374
Thanked: 9,810 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
@anurag - Had finally the opportunity to drive @80 in 5th gear and the rpm was hovering just around 1800 but to maintain a steady 100 kmph the engine's rpm was just around 2300 ~ 2400
Thank you Sateesh for the update. A few more questions from my side.

How does the engine feel at 80 kmph and 100 kmph respectively? NVH levels with NO A/C and with A/C. Do you find any difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
VDi rides on 185/70-R14
Did you upsize the tyres? As VDi rides on 165/80 R14. What make ate the tyres btw?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 11:18   #1227
BHPian
 
csateesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 470
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How does the engine feel at 80 kmph and 100 kmph respectively? NVH levels with NO A/C and with A/C. Do you find any difference?

Did you upsize the tyres? As VDi rides on 165/80 R14. What make ate the tyres btw?

Anurag.
The complete drive was with A/c ON so can't comment on it explicitly but I didn't "feel" any difference per say.

I didn't but I felt the stock tyre size was puny and went in for 185/70-R14 and trust me I haven't repented it at all.

I maintain 34 psi for the front tyres while 32 psi for the rear tyres and it has been brilliant

I am on MRF Z.LO

Cheers
csateesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 19:49   #1228
BHPian
 
bijuiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 55
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Recently did an Engine-oil change in my Aria here's my experience so far:
1. Stock Oil (Castrol GTX Diesel)- Too early to comment
2. HP Milcy Super 20W 40 - NVH very high
3. Castrol GTX 20W 40 + Bardhal - NVH very low compared to HP
4. Mobil Delvac1 - NVH Much lower than Castrol GTX in a cold start, once the engine heats up no noticeable difference.

Bought the Mobil Delvac1 5L can with MRP Rs. 5000/- @ Rs. 4000/- i.e. 20% discount.
Attached Images
    
bijuiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 20:16   #1229
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,958
Thanked: 247 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Recently did an Engine-oil change in my Aria here's my experience so far:
1. Stock Oil (Castrol GTX Diesel)- Too early to comment
2. HP Milcy Super 20W 40 - NVH very high
3. Castrol GTX 20W 40 + Bardhal - NVH very low compared to HP
4. Mobil Delvac1 - NVH Much lower than Castrol GTX in a cold start, once the engine heats up no noticeable difference.

Bought the Mobil Delvac1 5L can with MRP Rs. 5000/- @ Rs. 4000/- i.e. 20% discount.
20W40 is the wrong grade. Use 15W40 or lower.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2014, 22:20   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,813
Thanked: 2,920 Times
Default Re: All about Diesel engine oils

Anna, he is using 5W40 (see the can) - so should be good ..
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda / VW Group Engine Oils VeyronSuperSprt Technical Stuff 141 25th August 2016 20:01
Engine oil fraud - should we still recycle used oils? Any other options? SS-Traveller Shifting gears 34 25th November 2014 22:47
Difference in diesel and petrol engine oils sans33 Technical Stuff 30 3rd August 2011 18:58
Camshaft failures in older sports cars in the US : reason : new gen. engine oils? issigonis Technical Stuff 1 7th November 2010 14:11
Diff Engine oils - which to select ? nicejits Technical Stuff 3 6th February 2008 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks