Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 15:49   #541
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Maruti Alto - Issues

Need to get 40K service for my Alto done this weekend, Iam planning the following replacements -
Engine Oil + Filter
Air Filter
Gear oil
Spark plug
Break oil
Fuel filter

Also as per 40K checklist the following replacement is also pending - Master cylinder and wheel cylinder or calliper (oil leakage, boot kit) - On checking the price list in forum the Master cylinder is shown around Rs. 3K range is this the correct cost. Also any other replacements required along with the same?
Old 18th July 2013, 16:43   #542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Master cylinder and wheel cylinder or calliper (oil leakage, boot kit) - On checking the price list in forum the Master cylinder is shown around Rs. 3K range is this the correct cost. Also any other replacements required along with the same?
Did you check on the right hand side column whether it says I (Inspect) , L (Lubricate) , R (Replace).

In the past 2,04,000 Kms in my WagonR, I have only replaced one slave cylinder on the rear wheel once.

The statement above only mentions the ASC to check for leakage in brake lines and near all the wheel cylinders as that would hamper braking abilities.

You may get the Calipers for the discs inspected for dryness and get it greased and if needed replace the caliper pins.

40,000 is way too early for replacing the master cylinder in Altos or WagonRs anyways!

Additionally - While you are standing at the ASC, when the vehicle is mounted on lift, check the Drive Shaft boots for Damage/Cracks and also inspect the Steering Rack boot. A damaged boot on any of theses will result in mud/slush making way through the gaps and causing permanent damage to the most vital components (Shafts/Rack) which otherwise are designed to last really long upon proper care.

Last edited by paragsachania : 18th July 2013 at 16:48.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 17:18   #543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Did you check on the right hand side column whether it says I (Inspect) , L (Lubricate) , R (Replace).

Additionally - While you are standing at the ASC, when the vehicle is mounted on lift, check the Drive Shaft boots for Damage/Cracks and also inspect the Steering Rack boot. A damaged boot on any of theses will result in mud/slush making way through the gaps and causing permanent damage to the most vital components (Shafts/Rack) which otherwise are designed to last really long upon proper care.
Yes they have mentioned it as R (Replace) hence was bit unsure. As you said in our previous Maruti cars we never replaced Master cylinder in around 1.25 Lakh KM's run.
Thanks for the heads up on checking the boot, since past few weeks there is a sound coming from right wheel side though boots looks fine when I checked the car while parked I would double check the same.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2013, 12:55   #544
BHPian

I have found a strange problem in my 2010 alto(26000kms) a couple of days ago. The car seems to vibrate strongly (for a second maybe) at certain speeds in all gears(2nd-20kph, 3rd-35kph, 4th-45kph, 5th-60kph). I suspected bad motor/engine mounts but they are fine. The car seems fine except these vibrations mentioned above. What could this be?
Old 20th July 2013, 13:17   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullrun87 View Post
I have found a strange problem in my 2010 alto(26000kms) a couple of days ago. The car seems to vibrate strongly (for a second maybe) at certain speeds in all gears(2nd-20kph, 3rd-35kph, 4th-45kph, 5th-60kph). I suspected bad motor/engine mounts but they are fine. The car seems fine except these vibrations mentioned above. What could this be?
If the vibration is at the same RPM then it originates from/around the engine. To check, slowly press the accelerator while in nuetral and note if it occurs at the same RPM (you will get a rough idea from the engine noise if there is no RPM meter). If the vibration comes then it is engine/gearbox mounts for sure. If not then it may be in the gearbox it self.

There is a 1% chance that it may be due to worn out/badly adjusted clutch. Just loosen the clutch actuation so that there is some play and the clutch engages late, and then check both at idling and on load.
Old 20th July 2013, 13:24   #546
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
If the vibration is at the same RPM then it originates from/around the engine. To check, slowly press the accelerator while in nuetral and note if it occurs at the same RPM (you will get a rough idea from the engine noise if there is no RPM meter). If the vibration comes then it is engine/gearbox mounts for sure. If not then it may be in the gearbox it self.

There is a 1% chance that it may be due to worn out/badly adjusted clutch. Just loosen the clutch actuation so that there is some play and the clutch engages late, and then check both at idling and on load.
There are no vibrations at all in neutral only at a particular engine rpm when in gear.
Old 20th July 2013, 18:33   #547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are no vibrations at all in neutral only at a particular engine rpm when in gear.
May be I was not clear. Keep the gear in neutral. Now press the accelerator slowly increasing the RPM. Note if vibration comes at a certain RPM.
Old 20th July 2013, 18:47   #548
BHPian

Hi Guys,
I have an LXi 07, done 'bout 35K KM. (very less I know, but properly maintained)

Couple days back, the car over-heated; since I was home only, showed little concern, and assumed coolant refill would do the trick.
I let it cool down over-night, and filled up in the morning. Also checked for some leakage, din't find any.
However, the car still over heated, after some time of driving. This time was shorter with the AC on.
I soon realized the fan is not working. Checked the fuses and one of the 30 A one was blown. Changed it and tried....still over heating; the new fuse had melted as well.

Checked the coupler of the fan, the connection seems strong.

My guess is, the relay controlling the fan needs to be changed, or something worse..

I'd be taking it to the shop tomorrow; but anybody got clues?
Old 20th July 2013, 21:27   #549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
May be I was not clear. Keep the gear in neutral. Now press the accelerator slowly increasing the RPM. Note if vibration comes at a certain RPM.
Yes, I did that and found no vibrations at all in neutral. The car seems to vibrate only when in gear at a particular rpm.
Old 22nd July 2013, 12:45   #550
Distinguished - BHPian

Did 40K service of My Alto last weekend at Suraksha Bommanahalli Bangalore, changed accelerator and clutch cables also as preventive maintenance. Total cost : Rs: 6541

Breakup :

Parts
--------
Spark plugs : 327
Air filter : 170
Fuel filter: 261
Accelerator cable: 91
Oil filter : 79
Clutch cable: 192
Distilled water: 8
Coolant: 206
Brake fluid : 262
Grease : 28
Engine Oil: 843
Gear Oil: 823

Labour:
------------
Brake overhaul : 180
Caliper pin greasing : 220
Break bleeding: 195
Clutch Cable change: 225

Didn't do wheel alignment since I prefer getting it done outside and also need to replace tyres in few days.
mpksuhas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 20:27   #551
BHPian

I got 20k (ODO reading 16.8k) service done at Surakshaa, Bommanahalli, on 05-07-13. Expenses incurred as follows:
1. Clip (wheel well) 7.86
2. Spark plug (NGK) 327.51
3. Air Filter 170.31
4. Oil Filter 78.60
5. Distilled water 7.86
6. Misc - I guess it is for the waste! 83.84
7. Coolant 205.24
8. Brake Fluid 262.01
9. Caliper grease 27.95
10. Gear oil (2.5 lts) 823.15
---------
Total 1994.33
Tax @ 14.5% on 1994.33/= 289.18
----------
Total including tax (spares) 2283.51
----------

Paid Service 1220.00
Brake Bleeding 180.00
Emission Test 75.00
----------
Total 1475.00
Tax @12% 177.00
Cess on service tax 5.31
----------
Total including tax (service) 1657.31
----------

Grand Total: 2283.51 + 1657.31 + 300 (3M Engine bay dressing) = 4241

Additional expenses: 800 (Shell Helix Engine oil) + 400 (Wheel balancing and alignment) = 1200

I was not satisfied with Engine bay dressing - not worth it!

Now, coming to the "Alto Issues" that I am facing after this service, I am finding it quite problematic to engage the reverse gear, which was never a problem before! During the service, I noticed that the gear oil was filled from sideward with a gun connected to the oil drum and by the time the gun was removed and the nut was closed, quite an amount of gear oil spilled down!

Now, my doubt is, is this the right way to fill the gear oil? How does the mechanic know how much of oil has gone inside? How do I know if there is an under-fill of the gear oil?

Also, during the service, I asked the mechanic to just check if the clutch pedal play was correct, to which he said he has already done that! I was quite puzzled because he never got into the car to check the pedal play, and he said he had tightened it when the car was lifted - simply tightened it without even checking if it was required, which however I got it loosened later, though I am not sure if the current setting is 100% right!

So, is the reverse gear engaging problem that has cropped up now is because of the gear oil under-fill or is it due to the wrong clutch setting?

One more point I would like to make here is about the coolant - the mechanic was under the impression that the coolant : water ratio was 1:3 and I pointed out to him that it is 1:2, though 3 liters (1+2) of the coolant did not go into the radiator; what is the actual capacity of the coolant tank/radiator in an Alto?

I was always under the impression that the more visits you make to the mechanic, the more newer problems crop up and I was proved right this time
sada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:02   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
During the service, I noticed that the gear oil was filled from sideward with a gun connected to the oil drum and by the time the gun was removed and the nut was closed, quite an amount of gear oil spilled down!
Yes, that is the method usually followed.However, why didn't they measure the amount? Underfill/Overfill is equally bad for the vehicle. I got the gear oil change done at an FNG nearby and hence allowed just the right amount (2.2 liters) after proper drainage to be filled. Reverse gear problem is most probably the clutch, since you mention it to be misaligned. Get this corrected outsude at an independent garage, else you will be another cash cow for the Maruti workshop.

What you say about the mechanic visit is a universal truth. Last time, I asked them to check battery Voltage and they spilled acid all over the battery box.
JustCause is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:17   #553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check your drive shafts. How much did the car cloak?

Last edited by rajeev k : 22nd July 2013 at 21:37.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:00   #554
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding oil filling Surakshaa has got the device which dispenses oil based on preset value. It is like petrol pump. They set the amount required to be filled and the device cuts off after that. There is a picture of that machine in some ownership review thread, though it was the machine in Pratham motors.
Old 22nd July 2013, 22:50   #555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Did 40K service of My Alto last weekend at Suraksha Bommanahalli Bangalore, changed accelerator and clutch cables also as preventive maintenance. Total cost : Rs: 6541
Thanks for the detailed breakup, it is good for the others who will get their cars serviced at MASS. However, your cost dont add up to 6541. Please also add whatever you have left out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
2. Spark plug (NGK) 327.51

Paid Service 1220.00

During the service, I noticed that the gear oil was filled from sideward with a gun connected to the oil drum and by the time the gun was removed and the nut was closed, quite an amount of gear oil spilled down!

Now, my doubt is, is this the right way to fill the gear oil? How does the mechanic know how much of oil has gone inside? How do I know if there is an under-fill of the gear oil?

One more point I would like to make here is about the coolant - the mechanic was under the impression that the coolant : water ratio was 1:3 and I pointed out to him that it is 1:2, though 3 liters (1+2) of the coolant did not go into the radiator; what is the actual capacity of the coolant tank/radiator in an Alto?
Thanks for the detailed breakup, it is good for the others who will get their cars serviced at MASS. item wise prices are really good for info.

Did MASS supply NGK spark plugs? my Mass has only Champion plugs.

Paid service : 1220+tax!! wow maruti are really jacking up the service cost like anything. about 4 years ago it was ~600. In november last year it was ~900 and now 1220!! They charged me labour of ~800 for changing the lower arms which was hardly a 10 min job. This, while they have posters saying ' labour for any additional work = Rs 300/Hr '.

That is the usual method of filling gear oil in most cars. You know its enough when it starts coming out (so no underfill in your case). And since it does come out after filling up its quite difficult to overfill ;P

about 2.5-3L of coolant goes into the Alto. Some part always stays in the radiator, pipes, etc. My mechanic mixed 1L coolant and 2L water and a bit of it was left in the container.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks