Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2011, 16:53   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Battle of the Unequals : Skoda Yeti vs. Honda Civic (10,000 km driven)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
3) Dial staging enabled
Sorry for the noob question here, but what is "Dial Staging"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Offtopic, perhaps but please refer Akki5's epic thread on activating features on Ambiente (Laura) with a VAG.com. Be careful when messing around with these things, and PM Akki5- am sure he will be glad to help!
Noop, AFAIK Akki's Laura is an Elegence and not Ambiente. Some features are not there in the Ambiente version (not even de-activated). But a few features like DRL's, Auto Lock/Unlock etc can be done.

Been dying to get these done on my Laura, unfortunately have no clue as to who would do it in Pune. The guy I knew (in ASC) has left the Skoda group.

Behemoth, as all have already said, please get rid of the luggage carrier asap. Its spoiling the look of an otherwise beautiful ride.

P.S: Loved the pic of the Yeti and X1 together.
Old 19th August 2011, 17:41   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi Behemoth,
You can put the ESP/Off road control/traction control/suspension control/Passenger control buttons or any buttons that catches your fancy - but before any of those buttons - please install a (Bond style) button that ejects that roof luggage rack ! And fast. That rack is one eye sore. Please.

Couldn't believe my eyes (and am still rubbin' 'em) and wondering whether it was the same very same black Yeti I was willing to kill for !
Glad that others spotted it earlier and spoke against it. If I were to have been the first to have seen it - it would have left me spluttering and foaming at the mouth !

All in good faith and in the interests of your Yeti !
Aye Aye General! Luggage rack duly ejected at an altitude of 10,000 ft over the Pacific ocean. Exact point of impact unknown. Over and out!
The monster is back to its graceful form and no more ugly appendages attached. Appreciate feedback from all the TBHP members who helped take this decision!
Seriously if there were one buton I wish I could add to my Yeti, it would be to just convert it into an aeroplane and just fly up away from the maddening traffic!

@Swananand, Dial staging is a full sweep that the Tacho and Speedo needles do on startup, looks quite neat and is a standard feature on the Audis and high end cars! You can find some videos on youtube if you search for staging.

Last edited by Behemoth : 19th August 2011 at 17:45.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2011, 18:01   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Kontoo!
Hope you enjoy your drive! You will certainly feel a difference when you drive the Yeti. Some aspects which you may need to keep in mind when driving the Yeti:
1) The engine is happy only above 1000 rpm and below this it can stall.. So give it slight race as you leave the clutch!
2) You can feel the peak torque in the range of 1750 -2500 rpm, try to change gears on reaching 3k and you will feel a nice punch when you floor it!
3) at slow speeds you may feel the ride to be hard initally, but it settles down well above 30km/h

Looking forward to your experiences when you return.
Enjoy your drive and have a great holiday!
Thanks Behemoth!
I did enjoy my holiday and the drive. I totally agree to the points mentioned by you.
Here are a few quick observations of mine:
-The engine did stall about 5000 times during the 600 kms drive. OK, let's say it stalled atleast about 15 times or so. You really have to drive with a heavy foot in the second gear. It stalled only in the second gear for me all the time.
- Drivers seating position is excellent compared to the Civic. I still prefer the rear seat of the Civic to the Yeti though.
- The boot of the Yeti was not as spacious as I thought it would be. After I put in my Golf set and there was space left just for a couple of more cabin size suitcases. As a result, a lot of bags that ended up on the parcel shelf for the entire journey.
- The kick of the Turbo at about 1850 rpm was intoxicating. However, it does take quite a bit of time to go past the 120 kmph mark unlike the Civic.
- I found the Auto dimming rearview mirrors very useful. These are of course missing in the Civic
- The headlights in the Yeti are just great in comparision to the Civic. I took quite some time to figure out how the cornering fog lamps work though!
- The Yeti does definitely stand out in the crowd. Had a lot of people admiring the car and asking me if the car was "comfortable"
- I figured out that the armrest (near the gear lever) could be set in any position only towards the end of my drive
- The clutch is pretty heavy in the Yeti and it was pretty taxing on my left foot at the end of the drive
- The stock music system of the Civic is no match for the Yeti's.
- And finally, the part that I loved the best about the Yeti in comparision to the Civic..? No prizes for getting this right, yes, the GC. It is a boon to go over every pothole/speedbreaker without having to worry about the suspension bottoming out.

At the of it all, I am truly fascinated by the Yeti and budget permitting will definitely consider it for my next car!
Cheers
Old 19th August 2011, 18:20   #109
BHPian

Quote:
I hope that reverting to basic settings on the ABS would not revert any of the other settings which are linked to the ABS system.
Regards,
Behemoth
No nothing changes apart from TPMS notification get added to the ABS setting! you have to connect the VCDS to reset the notification, till then it will show on console, you can also identify which tire is low on pressure by using the measuring block value but that of no use as by that time you might have already checked each tire manually.
to reset in VCDS go to your ABS controller > basic settings > enter 042 in block field > GO .

-Pramod
Old 19th August 2011, 18:22   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Harsh!
The Yeti is a great small SUV, ideal for the "Off"roads of Gurgaon .
It can take the terrain as well as the hustle bustle of the malls very comfortably in its stride. You will also be pleasantly surprised by its fuel efficiency and it will reward light footed driving with very good mileage.
I am also based in Gurgaon, you can PM me if you need any help/ advice on the monster!
Drive safe and enjoy!
Thanks a lot. I am very impressed with the car, however I feel the cabin noise is a bit more than I expected. Maybe its just me, or there could be something amiss. I will get in touch and would love to compare the noise with your car.

I found a lot of Skoda Columbus and Bolero units on sale on ebay UK. Would love to swap the existing unit for it.
Old 20th August 2011, 10:40   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontoo

Thanks Behemoth!
I did enjoy my holiday and the drive. I totally agree to the points mentioned by you.
Here are a few quick observations of mine:
-The engine did stall about 5000 times during the 600 kms drive. OK, let's say it stalled atleast about 15 times or so. You really have to drive with a heavy foot in the second gear. It stalled only in the second gear for me all the time.
- Drivers seating position is excellent compared to the Civic. I still prefer the rear seat of the Civic to the Yeti though.
- The boot of the Yeti was not as spacious as I thought it would be. After I put in my Golf set and there was space left just for a couple of more cabin size suitcases. As a result, a lot of bags that ended up on the parcel shelf for the entire journey.
- The kick of the Turbo at about 1850 rpm was intoxicating. However, it does take quite a bit of time to go past the 120 kmph mark unlike the Civic.
- I found the Auto dimming rearview mirrors very useful. These are of course missing in the Civic
- The headlights in the Yeti are just great in comparision to the Civic. I took quite some time to figure out how the cornering fog lamps work though!
- The Yeti does definitely stand out in the crowd. Had a lot of people admiring the car and asking me if the car was "comfortable"
- I figured out that the armrest (near the gear lever) could be set in any position only towards the end of my drive
- The clutch is pretty heavy in the Yeti and it was pretty taxing on my left foot at the end of the drive
- The stock music system of the Civic is no match for the Yeti's.
- And finally, the part that I loved the best about the Yeti in comparision to the Civic..? No prizes for getting this right, yes, the GC. It is a boon to go over every pothole/speedbreaker without having to worry about the suspension bottoming out.

At the of it all, I am truly fascinated by the Yeti and budget permitting will definitely consider it for my next car!
Cheers
Thanks for sharing your views Kontoo!
I have found the solution to the stalling issue and have raised the idle rpm from 775 to 845. Now no more stalling ever. I had also given this suggestion to Skoda to implement in India for all Yetis, not sure whether they have implemented it yet. It is a 2min adjustment with Vagcom diagnostics.
Rear seat of the Yeti is actually no match for the Civic's rear sofa seat, which is very comfortable. The 4x4 transmission axle in the Yeti really protrudes into the cabin space. But being an offroader, it is quite difficult to avoid the hump. Only other way is to raise the entire cabin up above the axles (similar to the way it is implemented in Fortuner) but that raises the overall CG of the vehicle and increases body roll and also restricts the interior cabin space. If you sit in a Fortuner in the middle row you will find that the middle row has lesser headroom than the Yeti, inspite of the Yeti being smaller! In Sushil's Yeti thred, you can find some comparisons he did between the two.
Fully agree on the boot space and I wish it were more! Most of the time I remove the parcel shelf and use it like that. There is even a space to keep the parcel shelf in the car behind the rear seats.
Best way to tap the Yetis power is to use the 1800-3000 rpm power band and change gears accordingly, and it speeds up very fast!
Yes the comfort of not having to worry about bad roads and speedbreakers is a great solace! Also the fuel efficiency is a bonus and saves a lot of money, the more you drive, the more you save! Good for petrol-heads err... Diesel heads like us!
Drive safe!
Thanks!
Old 20th August 2011, 12:18   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have found the solution to the stalling issue and have raised the idle rpm from 775 to 845.

2. If you sit in a Fortuner in the middle row you will find that the middle row has lesser headroom than the Yeti, inspite of the Yeti being smaller!
Hi Behemoth,
Thanks for ejecting the luggage rack over the Ocean. But just be careful these abominations have a way finding their way back. Especially when Yeti is generally termed as abominable...the snowman I mean.

1. Not sure whether you researched the impact of increasing the idle RPM. My previous experience shows that it would increase your fuel consumption. How much ? Is a Q you can answer only after a few tankfulls. Generally I would be weary of toying with anything on the ECU or any system which is factory set. Because if you change the idle RPM setting it could have relative and proportionate impact upwards on the rest of the RPMs in the various gears. Further with the factory having tested all the other subsystems with specific settings - could be fuel pump settings, intake flow etc - you could be disturbing the whole system. If at all you need to do it then you need to go the whole hog and do the total remapping.
Now this I speak from not really any great or deep technical understanding but by drawing from common sense (in depleting reserves in my case !) and experience. My understanding is open to being corrected.

2. Siiigh - another battle - this time TFort and Yeti. Why does everyone pick on the TFort ? Someone answer me this please !
Old 20th August 2011, 12:51   #113
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

1. Not sure whether you researched the impact of increasing the idle RPM. My previous experience shows that it would increase your fuel consumption. How much ? Is a Q you can answer only after a few tankfulls. Generally I would be weary of toying with anything on the ECU or any system which is factory set.

2. Siiigh - another battle - this time TFort and Yeti. Why does everyone pick on the TFort ? Someone answer me this please !
1) I don't think it will be an issue for the engine. He has done a very minor adjustment. I think on carb engines idle rpm's used to be adjusted quite often? (carbs were before my time so I'm not really sure) Without any issues?

2) The TFort picks on everyone

To be honest if TFort owners stop bashing all other cars including things like an ML350 cdi, and also not get offended whenever anyone says anything against the TFort we won't have issues here. *runs for cover*

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 20th August 2011 at 13:10.
Old 20th August 2011, 13:05   #114
mxx
BHPian

Regarding boot space, approximately how many XL size suitcases can yeti hold?
Old 20th August 2011, 16:06   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian

Hi Behemoth,
Thanks for ejecting the luggage rack over the Ocean. But just be careful these abominations have a way finding their way back. Especially when Yeti is generally termed as abominable...the snowman I mean.

1. Not sure whether you researched the impact of increasing the idle RPM. My previous experience shows that it would increase your fuel consumption. How much ? Is a Q you can answer only after a few tankfulls. Generally I would be weary of toying with anything on the ECU or any system which is factory set. Because if you change the idle RPM setting it could have relative and proportionate impact upwards on the rest of the RPMs in the various gears. Further with the factory having tested all the other subsystems with specific settings - could be fuel pump settings, intake flow etc - you could be disturbing the whole system. If at all you need to do it then you need to go the whole hog and do the total remapping.
Now this I speak from not really any great or deep technical understanding but by drawing from common sense (in depleting reserves in my case !) and experience. My understanding is open to being corrected.

Hi General,
Don't worry , the only implication of idle speed increase which will happen is increased fuel consumption. I noticed my idling fuel consumption to go up from the earlier 0.6 l/hr to 0.9l/hr which is marginal and will not affect my overall FE by not more than 3%. To share an engineering perspective on this aspect, idle rpm increase puts the torque of the engine higher by almost 15% in my case. This leads to easier starting on load. Internationally VAG TDI engines idle at around 850 +/- 100 rpm and these are acceptable ranges for idling. In US, the idle is 903 rpm. However in EU, the same engines are made to idle at 800 rpm or less. This is due to much more stringent emission norms in place and higher FE standards, on which vehicle taxation brackets are bsed. Keeping the idle rpm low has the effect of increased stalling and actually hampers the driving experience. This is the reason why many many people who test drove the Yeti were put off by its stalling nature! Having a higher idle rpm is actually better for the longer life of the Dual mass flywheel which the Yeti engine uses. Stalling greatly brings down the life of the DMF. Also, having a higher idle requires less clutch riding and accelerator revving for takeoff and increases the life of the clutch.Airconditioning also improves as the engine is able to take the compressor load better. On the gearbox and suspension, there is no impact. Increasing the idle rpm does not affect any of the other fuel pump settings and the Timing etc. The engine runs at the same settings as earlier, but just keeps the lowest rpm as 850 instead of 775. It is possible to change even the fuel injection quantity and the injection timing with VAGcom, but I would not recommend anyone to change these settings as they can cause damage to the engine.

General, no threat to your magnificient battleship! The Yeti is but a mere mortal in front of the invincible god that the Fortuner is! It is an extremely capable and rugged machine, which is built like a tank! Everyone aspires to be as mighty and powerful as the gods , but no on can!

Hi Mxx,
The Yeti's boot with parcel shelf in place can hold only one 26 inch suitcase plus one small cabin bag. But take out the parcel shelf, you can stack two 26 inch bags and 2 cabin bags. Then slide the rear seats slightly forward, you can accomodate 4 such suitcases in standing position. If you fold down the seats, you can shift a lot of luggage. There is an interesting video on youtube called "how much can you fit in a yeti"!
So if you a small family of 2+2 the Yeti will be fine, but if you are more, you will need something bigger .. Like a TFORT!

Last edited by Behemoth : 20th August 2011 at 16:16.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:12   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Don't worry , the only implication of idle speed increase which will happen is increased fuel consumption...

2. General, no threat to your magnificient battleship! The Yeti is but a mere mortal in front of the invincible god that the Fortuner is! It is an extremely capable and rugged machine, which is built like a tank! Everyone aspires to be as mighty and powerful as the gods , but no on can!
Hi Behemoth,
1. Great information and brief up around that. Also that the emission readings also change a bit with increased idling RPM.

2. Even greater information ! Ahhh...
Old 21st August 2011, 10:18   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

@OP/MODS: Perhaps with all this talk about T-Fort etc. the title needs to be changed as it is veering away from Y vs C the OP really wanted to share. Now it is Y vs Others???

As per material I have read Yeti is able to deliver up to 90% of power to either axle by its intelligent 4x4 and T-Fort only 50%. Would that mean Yeti is able to get out of situations what TFort cannot because only 50% of power would mean a very low power to weight ratio. Any one who can comment?
Old 21st August 2011, 10:19   #118
Senior - BHPian

Hope the thread is still what the title says & hasn't become another "Fortuner strength showcase" . Between the Civic & the Yeti, considering the craters that the thread starter has to contend with on a regular basis, I'd recommend the Yeti, provided one can live with its looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
To be honest if TFort owners stop bashing all other cars including things like an ML350 cdi, and also not get offended whenever anyone says anything against the TFort we won't have issues here. *runs for cover*
Akshay, I do agree with you here. The number of threads where I see this happening is increasing by leaps & bounds Sometimes I'm reminded of the earlier Scorpio vs Safari debates, in this case, Fortuner vs Anyone!

Last edited by suman : 21st August 2011 at 10:26.
suman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 10:25   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
@OP/MODS: Perhaps with all this talk about T-Fort etc. the title needs to be changed as it is veering away from Y vs C the OP really wanted to share. Now it is Y vs Others???

As per material I have read Yeti is able to deliver up to 90% of power to either axle by its intelligent 4x4 and T-Fort only 50%. Would that mean Yeti is able to get out of situations what TFort cannot because only 50% of power would mean a very low power to weight ratio. Any one who can comment?
I am actually the last person to comment on this, and i may even be wrong.
But would love to have a go at it.
I think the T-Fort has a proper low diff.
Which is extremely useful in sticky situations.
But one disadvantage the T-Fort has is it's size and weight.
I have seen a couple of useful and impressive Yeti off road videos.
MHO The Yeti is good for the light stuff.
the T-Fort is good for a bit more sticky stuff.
and for the hardcore stuff, we all know that we need a jeep
Old 21st August 2011, 13:07   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh87 View Post
Thanks a lot. I am very impressed with the car, however I feel the cabin noise is a bit more than I expected. Maybe its just me, or there could be something amiss. I will get in touch and would love to compare the noise with your car.

I found a lot of Skoda Columbus and Bolero units on sale on ebay UK. Would love to swap the existing unit for it.
Hi Harsh,
Great to know that you are happy with the Car. Initially you will find the noise a little higher, as the engine is new. It takes a good amount of run-in for the engine to settle down and reach optimum level.
In the first 1000 Kms, drive below 2500 rpm, this is required for safe run-in.
After that, you can rev the engine all the way till 4-5K rpm, but try not to do it continuously for more than 2-3 minutes.
Post 5K kms, you can drive as you wish!
The engine will reach its optimum level after 10K rpm and will be fully "bedded-in".
Most welcome to get in touch with me anytime, send me a PM and I will share my contacts.

Regarding the Columbus and Bolero radios, I would not recommend them, as they are cheap rip-offs and mostly not genuine! Also, if you retrofit a third party non-genuine system, you may lose some functionalities like reverse parking display and also void the warranty as all the cars electricals are linked through a CAN_BUS, which is an intelligent communication network of all the electricals in the car. Currently VW in India offer the RNS 510 system in the Vento, and that system should be compatible. Maybe you can check with Skoda if they can offer the RNS-510 system - this is the Columbus equivalent, and also has GPS with India maps.

Regards,
Behemoth

Last edited by Behemoth : 21st August 2011 at 13:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks