Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2012, 12:35   #601
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Tata Safari Storme : Test Drive and Review. More pics: pg 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Slightly OT: IMO, we should base our judgments w.r.t over pricing/optimum pricing of the Storme on the ex-showroom prices rather than the on-road price in various locations.
But the problem is that even ex-showroom prices are not the same across the country. Typically, a state that has higher taxes is also one that has pretty high ex-showroom prices.

This is why most mags uses Delhi ex-showroom prices as refernce

What we need to remember is to use a common figure when comparing.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 12:46   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
But the problem is that even ex-showroom prices are not the same across the country.
You have a very valid point, condor. However, even if we check ex-showroom prices across various locations, the difference in them would at least be within the bounds of reason and would lend a modicum of sanity to our comparisons E.g. ex-showroom of Safari VX in Pune is 1,224,696 and in Bangalore it is 1,240,203 [from Tata Safari website], i.e. a difference of 16k.

Anyway, let's get back to discussing the Storme before the mods crack their whip

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 8th October 2012, 12:49   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Vikram, I agree, I was about to mention, Kerala might be cheaper by a lakh or so. Still, within 12L of OTR for top end Storme is not so reasonable according to me.

Prem.
Prem
I agree to your point on being reasonable in our estimates but I think what a lot of us ( including me ) are trying to convey in this thread is that , Tata needs to be clear on the COMPETITION rather that what was the price of the outgoing SAFARI when they decide the pricing for the STORME ( That is - if they want to sell in reasonable numbers ) - else if the intent is for the STORME to be a marginal player in the SUV segment ( which is growing the fastest and which was originally pioneered by the TATAs ) , then TATA is free to do what they want !

also i checked the present SAFARI Vx BS4 ( 4X4) ex showroom pricing in Chennai . This is the higest variant shown in the website - 13.44 LAKHS

as you are aware, Safaris in the recent past have always sold at deep discounts. the present offer is Rs60K off. With negotiations, one should be able to get atleast 40k more off ( atleast on the top variants. incidentally the Aria has a straight Rs1 lakh off on listed price - no questions asked. I have checked this personally at the showroom ).

Hence based on this, the exshowroom price for a potential client is just 12.44 Lakhs and onroad should come to <Rs15 lakhs

my limited point is TaTa should take this into congnisance and see whether they want the Storme to sell in 3 digits or they want to take on the Scorpio head on

if they have any notions of taking on the XUV5OO with the Storme, I think the market will have other plans
Old 8th October 2012, 15:22   #604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
if they have any notions of taking on the XUV5OO with the Storme, I think the market will have other plans
+1 to that, looks like TATA is testing our patience.
Old 8th October 2012, 15:33   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Akhilesh - any idea why launch only in Delhi,NCR,Punjab ? As such TaTa has been taking customer feedback for quite a few months now and our member Luke had also attended this. Despite this I wonder why TaTa is taking such a cautious approach
I don't know how this fits in the overall logic of TML bosses, but the northern states mentioned above, together make the largest chunk of Safari sales. Infact Punjab was/is the biggest market for Safari. I remember once Cargo Motors - the local Tata dealer in Jalandhar (Punjab) - proudly proclaimed that it was the largest dealer for Safari in the country.

Also NRIs -who have a decent base in Punjab, especially in its doaba region- seem to have some affinity towards Safari. Earlier this year, when I had put up my Safari for sale, all dealers had two suggestions for me if I wanted a good price for my car. 1) Sell it during NRI season (Nov- Jan) 2) Reduce the km reading (my car's stood at 130k). Ultimately, I listened to none. And got a reasonably good price after having resetting my initial expectations.

Last edited by rrsteer : 8th October 2012 at 15:35.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2012, 20:49   #606
BHPian

Quote:
Prem
I agree to your point on being reasonable in our estimates but I think what a lot of us ( including me ) are trying to convey in this thread is that , Tata needs to be clear on the COMPETITION rather that what was the price of the outgoing SAFARI when they decide the pricing for the STORME ( That is - if they want to sell in reasonable numbers ) - else if the intent is for the STORME to be a marginal player in the SUV segment ( which is growing the fastest and which was originally pioneered by the TATAs ) , then TATA is free to do what they want !

You read my mind Narayan. IMHO Tata should discontinue the current safari and move ahead with the storme with a revised pricing. Remember how much price discount was offered for honda city when they faced real competition?
Old 8th October 2012, 22:30   #607
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passiondrive View Post
You read my mind Narayan. IMHO Tata should discontinue the current safari and move ahead with the storme with a revised pricing. Remember how much price discount was offered for honda city when they faced real competition?
Don't say that man I am waiting for Storm launch so that they can offer more discount on current model and then it will fit in my budget.

Thanks,
Vishal.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:30   #608
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Storme is supposed to be superior to XUV as far as build goes (san bells and whistles), if that is the case, why would TM price it much lower than XUV? Safari is supposed to be the premium model in TMs pv segment, not sure whether they want to go against Scopio and dilute that image. Lot of us, forumers, like Safari because we are passionate about the vehicle (and technical reasons), but many rich in rural areas buy Safari because of its image as a premium vehicle. Let us wait for another week to see which direction TM will go!

Last edited by teamveevee : 8th October 2012 at 22:32.
Old 8th October 2012, 22:37   #609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
Storme is supposed to be superior to XUV as far as build goes (san bells and whistles), if that is the case, why would TM price it much lower than XUV? Safari is supposed to be the premium model in TMs pv segment, not sure whether they want to go against Scopio and dilute that image. Lot of us, forumers, like Safari for technical reasons, but many rich in rural areas buy Safari because of its image as a premium vehicle. Let us wait for another week to see which direction TM will go!
Premium-ness has to be demonstrated my friend. I love the Safari design but beyond that, we need to know what it brings to the table in comparison to competition. The Scorpio does circles around the Safari on sales 5:1 not for no reasons. Lets not even bring in the XUV here.

Let me stop here at the cost of gathering any more angst from Safari lovers.

eagerly waiting to understand TaTa's strategy- will they price it for more people like me to buy it or will it be a "niche product" embraced by the "rural rich"

Last edited by narayan : 8th October 2012 at 22:38.
Old 9th October 2012, 00:24   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Premium-ness has to be demonstrated my friend. I love the Safari design but beyond that, we need to know what it brings to the table in comparison to competition. The Scorpio does circles around the Safari on sales 5:1 not for no reasons. Lets not even bring in the XUV here.

Let me stop here at the cost of gathering any more angst from Safari lovers.

eagerly waiting to understand TaTa's strategy- will they price it for more people like me to buy it or will it be a "niche product" embraced by the "rural rich"
One of the service managers in a reputed tata service centre told me once "we have much better potential than the mahindras but the creamy layer in the company is not open to the feedback they receive from us! As far as mahindra is concerned,they have a youthful bunch out there with innovative ideas,and they execute it"
This is not meant to degrade or hurt anyone, but what i have heard from an insider.I own a manza and I'm a wellwisher of the company like narayan and many others in this forum.
Old 9th October 2012, 09:30   #611
BHPian

Please see price (Ex. Showroom Pune) comparison with almost similarly featured (4X2,Front airbags,ABS) variants,

Safari DICOR 2.2 VX BS4 12,24,696
Scorpio BS4 2WD-HE-Air Bag 10,37,469
XUV 500 W6 FWD 11,61,001

And now Sep 2012 Sales,

Safari 864
Scorpio 4064
XUV 4603

If Honda can do a price cut, Why not TATA?
Old 9th October 2012, 13:55   #612
BHPian

As per the sources, top end Storme will not cross 15lacs OTR in Bangalore.
kdeepakk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2012, 21:47   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeepakk View Post
As per the sources, top end Storme will not cross 15lacs OTR in Bangalore.
Thanks for sharing.
Though this seems a good news assuming your sources are genuine, this can not be possible unless the complete revamp of pricing is done for the existing variants too.

As far as we know/heard from various sources, existing GX & VX are going away which to me, is a good move. However, the existing LX & EX has to get moved down to accommodate the other new variants like LXa, VX & VXp with VXp to be maintained within 15L.

Lets remember the existing VX 4X4 is at 16+L without any discounts.

Prem.
Old 9th October 2012, 23:26   #614
BHPian

I've always loved the Safari. My neighbour used to own one back when it was launched, and it crept onto my mind as a 9 year old and has stayed there ever since. But the Storme surely doesn't appeal to one's heart the way the Safari did. Perhaps it's the bland looks that rob it of character. Three things I particularly dislike - the grill+headlamp treatment, the single din head unit, and the awful tailgate. The spare-wheel when mounted on the tailgate might have made it heavy and rattle-prone, but it definitely played a huge part in giving the Safari its butch image. Anyway I think unless Tata prices this very competitively, the Storme will be another Aria. Mahindra has taken the game to another level with the XUV, and the only way the Storme can put up a fight is through killer pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem

Vikram, I agree, I was about to mention, Kerala might be cheaper by a lakh or so. Still, within 12L of OTR for top end Storme is not so reasonable according to me.

Prem.
This comes rather late, and is quite off-topic, but Kerala road taxes were hiked in the last budget. We now pay 15% for cars over 10 lacs. The result is that many people now get their cars registered in Mahe, part of PY, which has a flat 55000 Rs tax, using fake address proofs.
Old 10th October 2012, 00:14   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
This comes rather late, and is quite off-topic, but Kerala road taxes were hiked in the last budget. We now pay 15% for cars over 10 lacs. The result is that many people now get their cars registered in Mahe, part of PY, which has a flat 55000 Rs tax, using fake address proofs.
I believe the 15 % Tax is for above 15 Lakh ex show room Price. If it is between 10 and 15 Lakh, it is 10 % I believe
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks