Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th June 2007, 00:26   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post

If it makes you happy,let him buy the Stile 1.6.BUt let him stay away from the 1.1/
LOL - you guys make it sound as though he needs permission to buy 1 or the other... just kidding.

Question to 1.1 stile owner(s) : care to comment on the fit and finish of the plastic/beadings on the outside doors around the windows (dont know what they are called.. yet).
From my TD and mentioned in my report here, i saw the pieces were not stuck properly on the 1.6 black stile - and looked not done well as compared to another non-stile vehicle parked next to the office parking lot.

T I A
Old 19th June 2007, 01:25   #107
BHPian

I tend to agree with Binz here.Lets call a spade a spade.Palio 1.1 is good on pricing and VFM, but it is underpowered, and that itself will affect the FE.But if people on the forum are getting 12-13 kmpl from it, its rather pretty good.Getz 1.1 isn't as underpowered,infact its pretty peppy ,atleast in the city.It will definitely be more fuel efficient than Stile 1.1.But its on the expensive side.So... buy whatever floats your boat.
Old 19th June 2007, 08:39   #108
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Most people tend to believe that lesser cubic capacity and bhp figures automatically translates to better FE. Well, apart from being wrong what one doesn't realize is that for almost the same weight you have that much lesser torque and power to lug around.

The most important factor to achieve good FE is good low end torque. Not lower bhp figures or cubic capacity. And style of driving should also be smooth and refined. I am getting about 13-14kmpl from the GTX as we speak. The car has tremendous low end torque which means you can shift early and stick to a higher gear. While not straining the engine.

I wont be surprised if half the people who know how to drive properly & understand the dynamics of the car report a higher FE on the GTX or the stile 1.6L than the 1.1L.
Old 19th June 2007, 14:55   #109
Senior - BHPian

Perfect insight McL. Extracting the best from the engine is an art. Easy to master, but generally overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
I am getting about 13-14kmpl from the GTX as we speak.
Is this figure for city driving?
Old 19th June 2007, 15:29   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Most people tend to believe that lesser cubic capacity and bhp figures automatically translates to better FE. Well, apart from being wrong what one doesn't realize is that for almost the same weight you have that much lesser torque and power to lug around.

The most important factor to achieve good FE is good low end torque. Not lower bhp figures or cubic capacity. And style of driving should also be smooth and refined. I am getting about 13-14kmpl from the GTX as we speak. The car has tremendous low end torque which means you can shift early and stick to a higher gear. While not straining the engine.

I wont be surprised if half the people who know how to drive properly & understand the dynamics of the car report a higher FE on the GTX or the stile 1.6L than the 1.1L.
Maybe this is not in the lines of the thread topic but in reply to the above:

(I'm a bit new to the whole technical aspects of car comparisons so pardon my ignorance..)
But since you mention torque, how does 92Nm @ 2750 rpm (palio 1.1 stile) compare with 137Nm @ 4250 rpm (1.6 stile).?
Also, to elaborate on the bolded item in your quote, we are talking about 2 variants of the same build with slightly but indeed different weights (1.1 stile is 990Kg and 1.6 stile is 1060kg), - SO if the same person drove both these cars with same style of driving etc, would your comment hold good?
Thanks.
Old 19th June 2007, 18:08   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithon View Post
LOL - you guys make it sound as though he needs permission to buy 1 or the other... just kidding.

Question to 1.1 stile owner(s) : care to comment on the fit and finish of the plastic/beadings on the outside doors around the windows (dont know what they are called.. yet).
From my TD and mentioned in my report here, i saw the pieces were not stuck properly on the 1.6 black stile - and looked not done well as compared to another non-stile vehicle parked next to the office parking lot.

T I A
We are giving you genuine thoughts and ideas.IF you(or anyone) wants only fiat fans to answer your question,please join the palio user group.

And when mclaren says low end torque,hes tolking about the range which he drives in,which is 1300-1750 rpm.And yes,given the same driver,the 1.1 would give better mileage,..but you WOULD struggle to do so.
Old 19th June 2007, 18:46   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
We are giving you genuine thoughts and ideas.IF you(or anyone) wants only fiat fans to answer your question,please join the palio user group.

And when mclaren says low end torque,hes tolking about the range which he drives in,which is 1300-1750 rpm.And yes,given the same driver,the 1.1 would give better mileage,..but you WOULD struggle to do so.
Hi Binz, low end torque i understand now - thanks.

As for the genuine thoughts and ideas - err sounds like you took my comment the wrong way - i aint saying i wasnt getting any genuine thoughts and ideas - in fact geting all good stuff and thanks for that to all. Was my request interpretted in any other way?

My particular question on the fit and finish on the stile plastics is not to Fiat Fans - its to the owners of the stile and this being a 1.1 stile slx first 1000KM report, it is still the right place isnt it now?
let me know if there is something i am missing here..
Cheers
Old 19th June 2007, 19:35   #113
Senior - BHPian

Crystal clear.We are already OT,lets not push it with the mods,..

Binz
Old 20th June 2007, 08:49   #114

Well, I won't say it as city driving, as I arrive office before all vehicles gets on the road.
I am getting 14+ on my stile 1.1.
Last FE was 15.45 (Close to company figures). I rather wait for another such instance to confirm. (FE calculated Top up to Top up, used SHELL SUPER only). I still feel, I can get more
Old 20th June 2007, 13:23   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanni View Post
Well, I won't say it as city driving, as I arrive office before all vehicles gets on the road.
I am getting 14+ on my stile 1.1.
Last FE was 15.45 (Close to company figures). I rather wait for another such instance to confirm. (FE calculated Top up to Top up, used SHELL SUPER only). I still feel, I can get more
Wow Kanni this is pretty good. How much you have clocked till now.

And I drive in full bustling city traffic in peak office hours and getting close to 13. And I am quite happy with the pickup and performance.

About question of fit and finish intially at showroom I also thought the beading around door and windows are a bit loose but now I see its only the look otherwise its quite sturdy and not loose at all.
Old 20th June 2007, 15:42   #116

I have clocked 1500+.
After first service, the vehicle got smoother. As others said, hoping it gets only better after the second one. The pickup in the initial gears improved ( I feel so) after the service.
I am not happy with the power though. I feel underpowered only when AC is ON (Even I am driving alone). Am I
Old 20th June 2007, 16:11   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanni View Post
I have clocked 1500+.
After first service, the vehicle got smoother. As others said, hoping it gets only better after the second one. The pickup in the initial gears improved ( I feel so) after the service.
I am not happy with the power though. I feel underpowered only when AC is ON (Even I am driving alone). Am I
The manual says that the mileage would start increasing from 1000kms till about 2000kms and then plateu. I am not sure if this has anything to do with second service.
After first service engine smoothness and pickup have definitely improved.
Old 20th June 2007, 21:20   #118
BHPian

Thanks Humans! that is a joy to hear (about fit and finish).
And kanni and zoombie - u guys are owners of the 1.1 stile too i gather. COngrats. Hope to see more details from u guys too.

So all - looks like 1.1 stile does have sales - i'd be interested now to see how the sales figures are for fiat by EOQ apr-june.
Old 30th June 2007, 06:34   #119
BHPian

Decided to go for Stile 1.1 SLX

After going through all the reviews of Palio Stile 1.6 and 1.1, here, and after test driving Palio, UVA, Wagon R, SWIFT,

I have decided to buy Stile SLX (July/Aug). My reasons/observations are as follows:

1. I need a bigger car than the current Maruti 800,as my children to refuse to come with me, as the legroom on the back seat is less! ( By the way, I love my Maruti 800 - great performance for my city driving( I am not in Formula I racing !) , great after sales service , low spare part cost, great Mileage, easy parking in city.

2. I was keen on 1.6 Sport, but I don't like red colour and boss (wife ! ) does not like Black. So, no choice.

3.I test drove UVA. But after driving Stile, I felt drive in Stile was much better. I felt handling was much better in Stile.

4. After having driven M800, I felt visibility in both cars is little restricted. But that is the case in all cars bigger than M800, anyway. But funnily, I didn't feel the same way in Baleno ( My sister has one)

5. Spacewise, UVA feels marginally bigger, but a price difference of 1 lakh is too much.

6. Overall Palio Stile appears to be VFM

7. Ruled out SWIFT as I did'nt like it's old style looks and they are too many of them on the road anyway.

8.Negatives: - matter of personal opinion- I did'nt like Shade of fabric on the seats. But, there is no choice. Console colour is not to my liking

Now some questions:
1.Pardon my ignorance, But, I haven't understood the importance of Tachometer. Everybody advises to change to low RPMs. But while changing gears in the midst of tarffic, will you have time to look at meters and decide what to do? You almost go by the drive feel and engine sound, don't you? Tachometer is one difference between Stile 1.1SLE and SLX. (Price difefrence is Rs.23000/-)

2.Stile 1.1SLX almost comes with all requirements. Any additional fitments that I should go far?

3. What audio systems you (current Stile owners) have you gone far. and What's the approx price?

4. Is there any functional aspect to Alloy wheels? or is it only cosmetic?A sales guy at dealers told me that alloy fitment prevents wheel rim damage at high speed/pothole jumping. Any technical reason as to why Alloys should be fitted?
Old 30th June 2007, 19:46   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankura12 View Post
1.Pardon my ignorance, But, I haven't understood the importance of Tachometer. Everybody advises to change to low RPMs. But while changing gears in the midst of tarffic, will you have time to look at meters and decide what to do? You almost go by the drive feel and engine sound, don't you? Tachometer is one difference between Stile 1.1SLE and SLX. (Price difefrence is Rs.23000/-)

2.Stile 1.1SLX almost comes with all requirements. Any additional fitments that I should go far?

3. What audio systems you (current Stile owners) have you gone far. and What's the approx price?

4. Is there any functional aspect to Alloy wheels? or is it only cosmetic?A sales guy at dealers told me that alloy fitment prevents wheel rim damage at high speed/pothole jumping. Any technical reason as to why Alloys should be fitted?
If the difference is Rs23000 only for tacho, Better go for SLE.
and I agree that you dont always looks for RPMs to change gears in city driving.

There is a lot of adivise for Audio Systems for Palio in ICE section.
Use search option to get info about Alloys, PCD etc.. I am sure that is already tons of Info available in Trye and Alloys section.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks