Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2009, 17:39   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Walk the Talk?

Hi Fabiosi,

How you all doing? I've had a terrible extended weekend [friday included], trying to manage getting all shifting completed and getting the house in order. I figure it's going to take a few weeks to get our new house to look, well, New.

--------------------------
Now for the past few days [say, from Friday], I've tried to consciously follow a recommendation I'd witnessed being widely broadcasted on most TV channels, over the last week.

Drive at speeds between 45-55kmph. It's a govt sponsored ad, maybe. It's an awakening call and a good one at that. Recollect the ad in which a little lad says that in few years, all fossil fuels would perish, since we do not drive with discretion and care for the fast depleting resource and he will open a cycle-repair shop [wow, what imagination, but the ad-agency forgot solar powered/electric vehicles et al].

I have been driving between 45 and 55kmph since Friday and to be honest, it's terribly punishing. Going at 45kmph is ssssssssssslow, except for when driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic, but nonetheless, I've maintained the speed band patiently. Yeah, you can snigger now but I drive in this speed band even with wide empty roads in front of me.. And I keep looking at the speedo, every couple of minutes, to retain myself in the band [yea, it takes a while to understand the sound of the engine at that speed band, when all you hear is a soft murmur].

Impressions:

1. Driving in the above mentioned speed band 'seems' to be doing a trick on fuel consumption. I can see the 'distance-to-empty' indicator level reducing it's display stacks, slower than before. Illusion or reality, time will clarify.

2. Less tension and lesser chance of self-forced accident. I'm feeling a bit calmer when driving at these speeds. Relaxed. Truly!!

3. Lesser stress to the engine? I know petrol engines can be redlined, but why?? Driving at these speeds are going to keep the engines 'less worked up' and going to help them keep their cool too, for longer. Good or bad?

4. I don't find any more advantages/benefits while driving at these speeds.

Last but certainly not the least, I know I am truly contributing my bit to try and decelerate the rate at which fossil fuels are depleting. I am walking the talk.

I can only sincerely request fellow Fabiosi to also follow the same, if you can. I know most of you may have enough to spend on fuel lavishly, but what will you do when there aren't any fuels to use and other options are super pricey?? Walk for life?

Please try to drive between this speed band whenever you can. Maybe twice a week, to start with? It's not important to always follow this limit. But whenever you're not in an emergency situation, what's the harm in driving at a sedated and slower speeds? It's painfully slow, I agree, but you're doing YOURSELF and the world some good. Think about it. Maybe you'll get a better mileage too and save money.

Let us all be conscious of the environment and it's changing faces, around us. It's time we increase our awareness of the world we live in.

aK
Old 30th March 2009, 18:48   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Going by the strong sentiment being stirred up elsewhere on the forum while the Fabiosi coast serenely along, you might be right in that line of thinking.
(http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...users-32.html)
crackingride: Fire and brimstone, that's what they have on their hands. I'm in the communication racket as well and would not want to be in their shoes if they were the last pair on the planet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
Ditto.. With 85 bhp on car, what racing??

Vroom Vroom!!!
I'm eager to see you pick up a superbike.. And I'm ready with a nice helmet. See, you're going to need a pillion company and I can fit in, until you get one of the fairer sex, mate
k_ajay: Monsieur, 85 Bhp is enough to take us to the moon and back (provided the driver has enough patience...AND Vodka).

Sure, save that helmet. I have a dream (to steal a phrase) and it features a big beast of a missile. Watch this space. However, in the broader interests of going forth and multiplying, the fairer sex must get the first refusal.

Quote:
Hi Fabiosi,

Last but certainly not the least, I know I am truly contributing my bit to try and decelerate the rate at which fossil fuels are depleting. I am walking the talk.

aK
k_ajay: Sir, glad you are single-handedly making this a more verdant planet teeming with all things photosynthetic and oxy-rich, or conversely, carbo-devouring. Good job! Someone's got to do it.
Old 30th March 2009, 19:28   #1278
BHPian

Email from Skoda

Dear Customer,

We are glad to inform you that Skoda Auto India is organising a Summer Camp exclusively for our dear customers.This camp is held between 30th March to 11th April to ensure better performance of A/c and also a General Checkup Free of Cost.Please come and have the benefits of Summer Camp.
The venue is
TAFE ACCESS LTD,
NO.919,BHARANI INDUSTRIAL ESTATE,
GAREVEPALYA,CHICK BEGUR ROAD,
KOODLU GATE,OFF HOSUR ROAD.
BANGALORE.560068
PHONE;080-40813900/9341603999

Please call for an appointment on the above nos..
Thanking You
Regards
A.J.Louis
CRM - TAL Bangalore
99020 98589
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia reviews (petrol and diesel)-copy-summer-camp-emailer.jpg  

Last edited by netchef : 30th March 2009 at 19:30. Reason: formatting
Old 30th March 2009, 19:38   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Missile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
k_ajay: Monsieur, 85 Bhp is enough to take us to the moon and back (provided the driver has enough patience...AND Vodka).
Haha.. Right. No vodka sir, and I think with just lime cordial that distance would be another ordeal.

Quote:
Sure, save that helmet. I have a dream (to steal a phrase) and it features a big beast of a missile. Watch this space. However, in the broader interests of going forth and multiplying, the fairer sex must get the first refusal.
Aaahaaa.. Do I smell something bigger here than the R1? Seems I must get protective gear too, for the missile you're making a subtle hint of. lol
I'll be waiting..

Quote:
k_ajay: Sir, glad you are single-handedly making this a more verdant planet teeming with all things photosynthetic and oxy-rich, or conversely, carbo-devouring. Good job! Someone's got to do it.
lol, now that turned out to make me like a 'Hancock' super hero...
Old 30th March 2009, 19:50   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Nice offer!!

Quote:
Dear Customer,

We are glad to inform you that Skoda Auto India is organising a Summer Camp exclusively for our dear customers.This camp is held between 30th March to 11th April to ensure better performance of A/c and also a General Checkup Free of Cost.Please come and have the benefits of Summer Camp.
The venue is
TAFE ACCESS LTD,
NO.919,BHARANI INDUSTRIAL ESTATE,
GAREVEPALYA,CHICK BEGUR ROAD,
KOODLU GATE,OFF HOSUR ROAD.
BANGALORE.560068
PHONE;080-40813900/9341603999

Please call for an appointment on the above nos..
Thanking You
Regards
A.J.Louis
CRM - TAL Bangalore
99020 98589
Strange, I haven't received any communication on this. Do I have to do anything separate from buying an Elegance, to get these updates, or did TAFE overlook getting a form filled for getting updates from Skoda, while going through my sale??

RG: Are you considering availing this? If so, when do you intend going?? I'm not familiar with where the SC is, so point blank, need company to go to TAFE SC [and get familiar with the route].

Also, I need to call and book a slot at the same time you do, so I could benefit from tagging along [if it could happen]

Sorry for being [if i am] a pain..

aK
Old 30th March 2009, 20:04   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Strange, I haven't received any communication on this. Do I have to do anything separate from buying an Elegance, to get these updates, or did TAFE overlook getting a form filled for getting updates from Skoda, while going through my sale??
-----------
Sorry for being [if i am] a pain..

aK
I did receive SMS on this from Skoda. May be I can come along too. I have been to that place N number of times.
Old 31st March 2009, 09:05   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Haha..
Quote:

RG: Are you considering availing this? If so, when do you intend going??

aK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fi.robin View Post
I did receive SMS on this from Skoda. May be I can come along too. I have been to that place N number of times.
k_ajay/fi.robin:
I'm planning to go tomorrow/the day after, but I've yet to speak with them to explore the availability of the slot. Shall let you know.

No problem if we ride together in the least.

No difference in the version of cars that get invited, far as I can tell. Perhaps your email id slipped from their system.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:04   #1283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Fabia owners, a quick question if I may!

Considering Fabias are a relatively rare sight, do you guys get a lot of attention in traffic?

cheers
anekho:
Like netchef said, even in Chennai its not a rare sight. Some gents are still giving a brief look. I presume these people know something about automobiles and they are able to distinguish Fabia from Swift.

This thread is another proof. A very successful thread with a lot of visitors and active contributors.

Last edited by MadRash : 31st March 2009 at 10:06.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:16   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Customer,

This seems good. Wonder of the dealer here is carrying out same kind of camp. Any news on the same, Shykrish? No news from Rakesh till now, you might have to track him down and drag him off his office chair.

Seems some fabiosis are already queing up outside NC's home for hitching a ride in R1. Please count me in too NC. You can have a cup of iced tea on my tab. If possible, I'm planning a Bangalore trip during the 2nd week of April, when there are few holidays thrown around. Shall I knock at the Fabiosi club door?Would I be thrown off? Remember, I got a very trigger happy, itchy camera finger nowadays

@ Anekhho - attention is always welcome and its guaranteed after all, its one the cutest cars around.

@ K_ajay - driving constantly at about 50-60 kmph mark is always good for the economy, as I've experienced it. Its safe too and you can always have the time to look at Ms. daisies passing by, which is the added advantage. Guess fabiosis are becoming more and more considerate to fairer sex these days. No wonder the poetic words are flowing through.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:36   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Here in Mumbai too the camp was organised. Stating that they would check the A/C and other other things related to the engine and suspension.
But they went for it as before that got the car serviced along with the A/C as the AC blower was making noise they fixed the noise and had to do gas charging again. All this was done under warranty and I works great now. The cooling is just like it was on day 1. And all this happened right time before the summer started

Nevertheless It's good that they are taking the initiative to organise such camps. Last I use to hear Maruti and Hyundai doing that same.
How about Honda? Do they organise such camps too? Am such when monsoon comes one can expect some monsoon camp too come up to let customer know their status on their car and it's suspension before it has to battle the battlefield road.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:58   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticeyes View Post
This seems good. Wonder of the dealer here is carrying out same kind of camp. Any news on the same, Shykrish? No news from Rakesh till now, you might have to track him down and drag him off his office chair.
Just called up Faizal@Marikar and confirmed that the camp is on here in Tvm too. Booked my slot for tomorrow, I am planning to come in around 11am, joining? Saw Rakesh's car today morning in the parking lot, so he is in town...
Old 31st March 2009, 11:29   #1287
BHPian

I see two different power delivery for the same 1.4 PD TDI engine of Fabia. In India the lower powered engine is offered. Anybody know how they are configured?

Config1:
Power - 51 kW (69 PS; 68 hp) @ 4000 rpm
Torque - 155 N·m (114 lb·ft) @ 1600–2800 rpm

Config2:
Power - 59 kW (80 PS; 79 hp) @ 4000 rpm
Torque - 195 N·m (144 lb·ft) @ 2200 rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
Here in Mumbai too the camp was organised. Stating that they would check the A/C and other other things related to the engine and suspension.
Am such when monsoon comes one can expect some monsoon camp too come up to let customer know their status on their car and it's suspension before it has to battle the battlefield road.
Last monsoon, I received a 'Monsoon ready checkup camp' mail from Skoda. For this summer camp, I'm yet to receive a call/mail though I confirmed it with the dealer about the camp.

Last edited by MadRash : 31st March 2009 at 11:31.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:33   #1288
BHPian

Quote:
But they went for it as before that got the car serviced along with the A/C as the AC blower was making noise they fixed the noise and had to do gas charging again. All this was done under warranty and I works great now. The cooling is just like it was on day 1. And all this happened right time before the summer started
Ah, now I understand why the dealer here is reluctant in sloving my AC blower/rattle problem. They will have to refill the gas, and that too free of cost.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:34   #1289
BHPian

[quote=MadRash;1238462]anekho:
quote]

MadRash: "...they are able to distinguish Fabia from Swift. ..."

The rump is Holstein but the Philosophy is Kafka-esque, eh Sir?

[quote=Mysticeyes;1238475]
If possible, I'm planning a Bangalore trip during the 2nd week of April, when there are few holidays thrown around. Shall I knock at the Fabiosi club door?
quote]

Mysticeyes: Oh, welcome to our Fabled City-of-the-Fabiosi, Sir! Most welcome. Maybe we could round up the Gang-of-Four Fabiosi to meet with you.

High Tea:
Iced tea, scones, R1s etc.

[quote=Invinsible;1238495]Here in Mumbai too the camp was organised.
... The cooling is just like it was on day 1. And all this happened right time before the summer started
quote]

Invinsible: monsieur, THAT's one city where you need your A/C! One could survive in Bangalore without an A/C but I feel the need because I shut out the noise by keeping the windows up.

Funny thing: friend of mine who visited from his estate in Chikmagalur said the biggest difference in the bad city was the noise pollution. Scared away the sparrows permanently, it seems.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:41   #1290
BHPian

Quote:

Config1:
Power - 51 kW (69 PS; 68 hp) @ 4000 rpm
Torque - 155 N·m (114 lb·ft) @ 1600–2800 rpm

Config2:
Power - 59 kW (80 PS; 79 hp) @ 4000 rpm
Torque - 195 N·m (144 lb·ft) @ 2200 rpm

I guess config2 is 4 cylinders. We are offered config1 for better FE.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks