Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2008, 17:20   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The amount of fuel you have has nothing to do with your car's performance. That might happen in a bike, where petrol is fed by gravity feed. However, not in a diesel car with high pressure injection.

However, i think the fuel level wont go till full empty. I think Ford fiesta has it, not sure about Indigo. The system is in place to prevent the tank from going empty, and sucking air which could damage the high pressure system. (AFAIK, please correct if wrong)
Crazy Driver, thank you! That's a great piece of info. I shall check the mechanism for indigo.
Old 31st May 2008, 17:39   #62
BHPian

Congrats!

Congrats crosscap. That is a wonderful car. Dont get nervous about those minor scratches etc. I previously owned Toyota Corolla in the US and in the end it ended up with many scatches. Tata indigo CS is an extremely good and functionally designed car. I had test driven it. But instead, I settled for an indica as my family is small as of today. I appreciate two things in Tata cars. They focus on fuctionality rather than features.(They don't carry a snob value for this reason). Another one is that you feel very safe and secure sitting inside a Tata car especially on a highway. Your car looks good. Enjoy the ride. Drive safely.

Cheers,

Sridhar Garimella
Old 31st May 2008, 17:45   #63
Senior - BHPian

Crosscap please do not wait till your car runs dry before refuelling. There is always some unusable reserve in the fuel tank. Moreover, if you go up or down an incline with very little fuel it gets pushed to the rear end of the tank and the fromnt end respectively. In my Indica the car stalls if I go down an inclline with very litle fuel in the tank.( I believe that the fuel hose is connected a the rear end of the tank and the car is deprived of fuel when you go down an incline with very little fuel in the tank).
Old 31st May 2008, 17:53   #64
Senior - BHPian

i think reserve is ~3 liters. But I dont want to find out the hard way
Old 31st May 2008, 18:03   #65
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> I shall check the mechanism for indigo.

All modern cars come with electric fule pump for pumping the fuel from the tank to the engine. This pump needs a minimum of fuel in the tank for it to generate proper pressure.

If possible tank up when the fuel guage reaches quarter. This also prevents any dirt which settles in the tank from being drawn into the fuel line.

The best method to check fuel efficiency is tank full to tank full. For distance recording you can always use one of the two trip meters in the car. 2nd gear with AC on is not the best conditions to get good fuel efficiency.

Mine is a small town and most of the in town trips are short (<3kms) and in lower gears. I use the cars with AC on always. My Marina gives 11kpl in those conditions whereas the City CVT has given 9kpl.
Old 31st May 2008, 18:43   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
i think reserve is ~3 liters. But I dont want to find out the hard way
Greenhorn thanks for providing the lower bound. I think it is less than 3 otherwise, it seems that the mileage is roughly 20 kms.

Quote:
Hi crosscap,

All modern cars come with electric fule pump for pumping the fuel from the tank to the engine. This pump needs a minimum of fuel in the tank for it to generate proper pressure.

If possible tank up when the fuel guage reaches quarter. This also prevents any dirt which settles in the tank from being drawn into the fuel line.

The best method to check fuel efficiency is tank full to tank full. For distance recording you can always use one of the two trip meters in the car. 2nd gear with AC on is not the best conditions to get good fuel efficiency.

Mine is a small town and most of the in town trips are short (<3kms) and in lower gears. I use the cars with AC on always. My Marina gives 11kpl in those conditions whereas the City CVT has given 9kpl.
trrk thanks a lot for the explanation. I shall use the tripmeter from next time onwards. When I fill up the tank today, I didn't check the tripmeter reading, only noted down the odo. It's nice to know about fellow bhpians like you who drives in a small town like me. As I mentioned earlier it seems that the torque-rpm curve of this engine is quite flat and I need not downshift from 3rd to 2nd at the speed as low as ~20 km/h or less, which I did consistently. From now on, I shall try to avoid downshift as much as possible and measure the mileage. BTW, how is your marina doing? I like its look -- perfect for weekend trip.
Old 1st June 2008, 19:18   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Hi crosscap,

To add to this trrk's excellent post, fuel also acts as a lubricant for modern fuel pumps. If you run your tank dry, chances are that the pump will crack up. My brother tortured my OHC Vtec into this situation once.

Always fill up when the gauge shows a quarter, or above. Dont let it go below that. A practice that my family follows (with strict discipline) is to fill up when the needle gets to the half way mark!
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Hi GTO,

Thanks.

> fuel also acts as a lubricant for modern fuel pumps. If you run your tank dry,
> chances are that the pump will crack up.

That is something which I was not aware of. Important point. Should remember this.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:33   #69
Senior - BHPian

Hi crosscap,

> BTW, how is your marina doing? I like its look -- perfect for weekend trip.

Me too! I liked this shape better than the Indigo. Moreover it also allows me to shift cargo when necessary.

It is going along strongly. I seem to be lucky with Tata vehicles and this is my fourth one. Sumo, Safari, Indica and now Marina.
Old 2nd June 2008, 13:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

That steering cover is not good, one its of larger size, 2nd its not stitched properly.

Please get a proper size and get it stitched it properly.

Looks sour on such a beautiful car. I am attaching the steering cover I got recently. Its exactly what you have but stitched to perfection.
I got my Indigo CS GLS-dscn2039.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscap View Post
Steering Cover
Attachment 18189
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:28   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO - Touring View Post
To add to this trrk's excellent post, fuel also acts as a lubricant for modern fuel pumps. If you run your tank dry, chances are that the pump will crack up. My brother tortured my OHC Vtec into this situation once.

Always fill up when the gauge shows a quarter, or above. Dont let it go below that. A practice that my family follows (with strict discipline) is to fill up when the needle gets to the half way mark!
Great! Thank you GTO. I will follow that from now on. i also didn't know about the lubricant property. Will keep that in mind.
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
That steering cover is not good, one its of larger size, 2nd its not stitched properly.

Please get a proper size and get it stitched it properly.

Looks sour on such a beautiful car. I am attaching the steering cover I got recently. Its exactly what you have but stitched to perfection.
Attachment 18577
Hi Rajiv, thanks a ton for the picture. I shall scold that fellow and get it fixed. I also had doubt that it doesn't look good.
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:36   #73
Senior - BHPian

Those are nice pictures crosscap and an excellent running report. You seem to be enjoying your car to the fullest. Looking forward to more updates.

P.S. Are you in Mumbai already?
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhga View Post
Congrats crosscap. That is a wonderful car. Dont get nervous about those minor scratches etc. I previously owned Toyota Corolla in the US and in the end it ended up with many scatches. Tata indigo CS is an extremely good and functionally designed car. I had test driven it. But instead, I settled for an indica as my family is small as of today. I appreciate two things in Tata cars. They focus on fuctionality rather than features.(They don't carry a snob value for this reason). Another one is that you feel very safe and secure sitting inside a Tata car especially on a highway. Your car looks good. Enjoy the ride. Drive safely.

Cheers,

Sridhar Garimella
Hi sridhar, we have quite an overlap so far as choice of car is concerned. Thank you very much for your encouragement. yes, I also feel that the Tata cars are geared more towards functionality rather than style. I am happy with that. I fully agree that it's car meant for highway driving. I am eager to go back to Alld. and drive it on highways.
Old 2nd June 2008, 22:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Those are nice pictures crosscap and an excellent running report. You seem to be enjoying your car to the fullest. Looking forward to more updates.
Thank you Dippy. I am happy that veterans like you and GTO and others are reading my posts. I shall keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
P.S. Are you in Mumbai already?
Yeah, I am posting from Mumbai now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks