Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 21:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)

Just as I thought it was all over! guess what! the calliper pin rattling yet again! sheesh! After bearing it for a couple of days, I decided to visit Excel Autovista yet again! This time, they changed replaced with a new one along with packing it properly with the special TVS girling greases (reddish color) that comes in small packs. The Dy. GM of the workshop himself came for a test drive and worked on the calliper assembly himself and was very kind to have it fixed. The sound has gone; and now the only problem that remains is of the steering rack rattle! HE adviced that it is better to avoid opening the company set and do it at a later time when the problem really becomes a problem as it is anyway covered under warranty!
Besides, there are the usual rattles from here and there! Crazy! I shall post the pics of the areas along with fixes! so watchout for this space!
Old 18th January 2012, 11:27   #92
BHPian

I just bought the A star auto on 1st Jan. I have similar problem of the vibrations being passed onto the accelerator pedal during idle or when the car is in the 2000rpm range (approx). I assumed it to be normal since this is the 1st 3 pot car I own. Is it not normal for 3 cylinder cars to have some vibrations? if not I will have to complain and get it sorted out in the 1st service. Also my mileage is very low 8kmpl city drive with AC. My manual Santro used to give the same hopefully it will improve after 1st service.

Apart from this the car is awesome, good interiors (VFM), awesome brakes with ABS, perfect city drive and nice pickup.
Old 18th January 2012, 22:42   #93
BHPian

Hey Tazmaan! congratulations! yes the A-star is awesome to drive; I love the sudden push after it reaches a certain RPM and I love driving it around. I remember during the old days in my M800, it would be an adventure to reach 80kmpl, but the time when I shifted to this one, I did not even realise that I have reached 80. Butter Smooth is the term when it is moving and doesnt feel like a 3 cylinder. I leave behind most of the 1000-1100 CC vehicles. The racing type suspension set up allows me to make quick manouvers which the talls boys and other hatches wouldn't dare take!
With regards to the problem it was initially present. To fix it, I bought a rubber pad to fix on the accelerator pedal, which suppressed the vibration to a small extent. However, since I am a DIY-er, here are a couple of rememdies:
I observed that after almost very long run (50-60km), the accelerator cable fixed on the third slot on the plastic body (right over the throttle body) breaks lose from the slot. This is evidence that the angle at which it is being pulled/tensioned is incorrect thus causing vibrations.
I made sure that I would not fix it in that slot. Today, I adjusted the nuts which hold the cable firmly to the throttle body, which appeared to be loose and have also done away with the "play" in the accelerator cable! There is no longer an vibration in the pedals! I shall post some snaps.
Also, on the positive side, after I got the play removed (1 inch), I observed that the fuel economy has gone up and this time for the first time ever, I crossed the 350 mark per full Tank.
Currently, my car is at 375 and the last point has started to blink; so I am sure I can squeeze another 30-40km as usual. (Not to forget, that some fuel was wasted in unnecessary idling/testing/car driven by a spirited driver for 20kms) So I am sure, if it were me, I would have reached 420+.

This is the highest fuel economy the car has given and is quite a lot considering there is crazy high traffic on the Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri Sahar Road and return from highways (towards Borivali) between 6-8PM. Mumbaiites, you know what I mean

Let me know if you have more questions. Oh, yes, the other day, I read customer testimonials at Autovista and the fuel ecnomy for the A-star Auto was reported as 5-6kmpl and 8-9 kmpl by two different users.

People said that it improves after first service! That is nonsense,as they dont do much besides cleaning the car, cleaning air filter, etc. Second service too did not yield much; same with the third.

I have upgraded from the standard MGO mineral grade to Castrol Magnatec which is a semi synthetic oil. The car guls 3Ltrs in one go, so the ecnomy pack should cost you about Rs. 1100. To be frank, there ISN'T considerable change that I noticed. There is no increase in power, smoothness, engine sound etc. May be next time, I shall upgrade to Total Quartz Fully Synthetic.

Besides this other problems include rattles in the door and not due to door panels. I removed the plastic panel, took off the after market (MGA) centrol locking gun and still the door vibrated. I guess its got to do with the welds may be? (althought I dont think so, as it may have been done by Robots). I also firmly held the window, rollers, window rolling assembly, but still the vibration persisted. If you ever happen to open the door panel and explore it, you will observe a putty/dough like material stuffed inbetween the side impact beams and the outer panel, may be it was applied less somewhere and the uneven balance is causing tha rattle! I gave up after two hours of exploration and experimentation, but the vibration persists. I have plugged and packed all the possible places with the help of foam sheets.

I have attached the pics as below. OBTW, I thoroughly recommend the MGA spot light with an accessory socket, as it sticks to any metal part of the body, and in any angle and is also adjustible. The light is very powerful. I worked in some tight spots with a surgeon's precision. HAHA.

Last edited by karan1609 : 18th January 2012 at 22:50. Reason: Added new notes
Old 18th January 2012, 22:59   #94
BHPian

I have squeezed in several foam pads and have stuck them securely at several places. I shall post some more photos of the places which have started to rattle. Atleast for plastic panels, MAruti is not to be blamed enirely, as a couple of them were opened 5-6 times. I agree that it shouldn't matter, but we are living in the times of cost cutting and cut throat competition! Good and Bad!

Photo1: The ever so useful spot light which stick to the body with the help of a powerful magnet! The focus and the power is really good! and it almost any car part can be reached as it comes with a looong wire!
Photo2: Foam inserts. I feel that the locking guns have been mounted in an unusual way. Is it because it is an after market accessory?But hey, I got it fitted by a dealer, and that too an MGA! Can anyone post a pic of how it actually is in an Astar VXI/ZXI?
Attached Thumbnails
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-photo0042.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-photo0043.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-photo0044.jpg  

Last edited by karan1609 : 18th January 2012 at 23:07. Reason: Added photo description
Old 19th January 2012, 10:54   #95
BHPian

Can you please post a pic of the Accelerator cable tightening, I am a bit confused on how you did it. You travel along the same corridor in Mumbai as I do. The metro construction along with uneven roads is a pain.

I avoid opening any panels as they result in rattling immediately (very poor quality). I remember opening my Innovas panel and it looked so much better and sturdy yet it rattled. The only after market accessory I have is Alloys in the A star.

I am hoping to get a mileage of 9 to 10 as anything lower than that would be a big disappointment. I went for A star as mileage was one of the positives.
Old 19th January 2012, 11:47   #96
BHPian

On tank full basis I can generally stretch upto 410 - 430 till the light starts blinking. This is the limit for this car, while I drive at avg speeds ranging from 65-85 kmph.
Old 19th January 2012, 18:32   #97
BHPian

Hey Ankur, that is great to hear. But how are the traffic conditions in Faridabad? Its very bad in Mumbai currently with several mega projects going o at the same time. My car's fuel indicator has started blinking and the trip meter is currently at ~390 and this will be the first time in the city to have reached this target. Fingers crossed! 400 is the mark! I got an fuel ecnomy of ~19 kmpl as far as i remember on the expressway and on NH8 a few months ago.

@Tazman, I have started accumulating pics for everyone and will post them over the weekend. One you pull out the panels, the cheap plastic pins are the culprits. Here is a stop gap solution. Hold a thin foam pad/cutout (1sq. inch) blocking the sliding passage for the clip and then firmly push it in. You will observe that the clip stops rattling, and thus, you wil get a firm fix between the pad and the metal frame as the firmly held clip in turn firmly hold the pad against the body.

I spent another 2 hours inserting foam pads/sheets at several places. And voila, the rattles have reduced considerably. The only major rattle now is of the steering rack I believe.

Sorry to know that you suffer the same dude! Do post some pics of your car; I shall look out for you! I often take the Sahar road and and avoid the Andheri Kurla road after 6! as JB Nagar, Bisleri, Juhu Gali are crazy spots to be. The traffic on Sahar road atleast is moving at any point of time!

Sorry guys, for the photo tease; I will do it over the week end FOR SURE.

Last edited by karan1609 : 19th January 2012 at 18:36. Reason: Added information
Old 24th January 2012, 22:08   #98
BHPian

As Promised:

Pic 1:
Seat Belt Clip; just make sure that the seat belt buckle is fits snugly behind the plastic clip.

Pic 2
The foot sils become prone to rattle, as one often steps on it while getting in and getting out. The best solution is to make sure that the white colored plastic clip on the reverse of the plastic panel is packed with a foam insert, similarly, the holes should be covered with a foam sheet, foam insert is put in between the plastic panel and the car's weld joint.

Pic 3:
The plastic cover, which prevent water front splashing onto the alternator, exhaust manfiold joint etc, rattles a lot. It is best advised to either stick the black pastic part with the bumper clips, or hold it tight with a zip tie. At times, the number plate too rattles along with its horizontal large plastic part (on which the number plate is mounted), and the one behind the bumper.

Pic 4:
The clip which holds the bonnet rod, fits loose. It rattles like hell over paver blocks. It is best advised to back it up with a foam insert after pulling it out, or wrap an insulation tape in the gap, thus holding it firmly.

Pic 5:
Driver Side door sil is the first one to rattle among the door sils. It is best adviced to follow the procedure as described in pic 2

Pic 6:
This is the plastic panel under the steering wheel; the quality is real bad. Unfortunately, due to problems in the central locking wiring, it was removed 10-12 times, due to which the plastic clips on the reverse have lost their shape and keep rattling repeatedly even over smooth roads. It is best adviced to insert foam strips in the holes which hold the clips, along with placing a foam strip as shown in the pic

Pic 7
As a test, you can try tapping it, or moving it to and fro, you will hear the rattle! One needs to pull out the plastic garnish, once done, insert a foam strip and gently push the clip on to the garnish; thus holding it secure. You can now push the garnish into the body.

Pic8
The glove compartment too develops some amount of rattle after some amount of time! It is best adviced to insert a foam strip which ensures that the glove compartment doesnt shift from side to side (on the hinges); One should also use foam tapes the side walls

Pic 9
It is best adviced to have the metal clip, which holds the glove compartment, covered with teflon tape, or with masking tape. Initially, it makes the lock a little tight, but eventually closes smoothly.

Pic10;
The plastic garnish, which can be accessed from outside, and is present at the end of the A pillar to fender joint, makes an annoying high frequncy rattle while moving on paver blocks; it can be heard inside the cabin even when the doors are closed (obviously while driving) and when the windows are rolled up. Place a foam insert between the garnish and the body or pull it out, and make sure that the plastic clips fit properly.

Another areas, if applicable, are the plastic mesh under which one can place 4 inches speakers. Make sure that the speakers screws are tight, and if needed, one can put small inserts of foam tape on the sides and then fit the mesh over it. Dont worry about the glude residue of the foam tape, as it comes off easily with WD40.

I shall keep updating this thread with stop gap solutions for fixing rattles; hopefully with better quality snaps next time! I did not find the time to charge my digicam, and then transfer it to my laptop. I hope this thread proves to be helpful, not only to A-star owners, but Swift owners who may have similarities in the parts, or others.

For now, the only rattle present in my car, is from the steering rack! I shall get it fixed, once it becomes unbearable. Frankly, I am tired to go to the service centre yet again.
Attached Thumbnails
Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-1.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-2.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-3.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-4.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-5.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-6.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-7.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-8.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-9.jpg  

Experience A-Star (Read: Experience a star)-10.jpg  

Last edited by karan1609 : 24th January 2012 at 22:12. Reason: Pictures added twice by mistake
karan1609 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2012, 00:12   #99
BHPian

I am wondering if anyone knows if we can fit a pollen filter in the A-star; or if it is already present. I doubt if it is present in the Indian version. If not,
where can I buy it in Mumbai?
How much will it cost?
Where is the place for it to fit in?
Is there a particular brand which works out the best?
Is there a DIY solution to it?
Old 26th January 2012, 06:16   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan1609 View Post
I am wondering if anyone knows if we can fit a pollen filter in the A-star; or if it is already present. I doubt if it is present in the Indian version. If not,
where can I buy it in Mumbai?
How much will it cost?
Where is the place for it to fit in?
Is there a particular brand which works out the best?
Is there a DIY solution to it?
There is no pollen filter in the LXI or VXI and no idea if its there in the ZXI. Its not possible to install it in L/VXI because the filter slot in the blower unit is sealed and can't be opened. Got to see if the ZXI comes with an openeable filter slot if it can be opened then filter can be put in.
Old 27th January 2012, 01:32   #101
BHPian

Thanks Sankar for replying. Can you also let me know as to where the slot is located? I was thinking it may be hidden somehwere below the dashboard.

Oflately, when I turn the wheel, and reverse or go forward, I can hear a knocking noise; which is similar to when I rapidly turn the steering wheel from side to side while the car is stationery! Looks like I have steering rattle issue here! Crazy! But will not rush to the service centre right away; will wait for it to be more apparent.
Old 5th March 2012, 01:25   #102
BHPian

Hey all, I was hoping that people would reply to take advantage of the rattle zones. Anyway, I hope it was useful to everyone

I would want to upgrade my music system; the following is the current set up:

Sony Xplod HU CDX 350s GTX
4" Sony Xplod mounted in the Dashboard
6" Oval 3 way Sony Xplod Speakers 300W

I bought all of this for Rs 11K some years ago. Am especially keen on getting my rear speakers changed. I would want to try out JBL, but the entry level JBLs costing Rs. 3.5K are not impressive. It would be great if someone can suggest some good speakers, but without amplifiers to drive them.
Old 18th March 2012, 14:39   #103
BHPian

This was the first time I tried using Bharat Petroleum Speed and here is my review.

I was sceptical about using speed as I thought it may only be a marketing gimmick. Anyway, determined to try it out, I had a refill at 11400 kms at the BP Petrol Station at Bandra (w). Asked him to fill it in a slow mode in order to reduce vapourization; filled it to the brim.

Just fyi, I drive in harsh and dusty conditions from Juhu to Andehri East. Regulars will know the amount of dust, bad roads, traffic on the Sahar Road. Especially under the L&T underconstruction bridge, upcoming new Airport Terminal, News roads, Digging (at times it is difficult to see the road due to the dust). I have been running on normal fuel since since day one and have never tried this kind of fuel even on my previous cars.

I noticed the following:

1) The engine lugging has reduced drastically
2) The engine feels more refined. I dont not feel the minor vibrations/tingle on the steering wheel. Mind you, I am not talking about the rough idling of a 3 cylinder motor, but the tingling effect
3) Engine purr is heard even in the 3rd gear regularly, as opposed to the 2nd gear alone
4) My fuel economy has increased marginally from 11.5 to 12.5
5) A marginal increase in pick up

However, what remains is the suspension/steering wheel rattle and some minor noises from the door panels, etc.
Old 2nd April 2012, 21:26   #104
BHPian

Of lately, the frustration of the suspension rattle has started to build up. There are atleast 2-3 different types of noises, metal to metal, which are irrirtating me. These are very different from the Calliper Pin noise. I have lived through that noise for 1K and know it very well. This noise is from the steering rack, and mostly lower arms or ball joints. Will go to Sai service this weekend and get it fixed once and for all. These noises are present between 10-20kmph and disappear at high speeds.

I think the auxiliary and OEM manufacturers have let MAruti Down!
Old 29th April 2012, 09:56   #105
BHPian

The other day, I had opened up my door pads to insulate it with yoga mats and to my horror saw the following:

The lower half of the door has started to develop rust from inside! If not totally corroded, I can atleast see it turn brownish! If not checked right now, it will only get worse during the upcoming rainy season and there after!

I opened the other door panels and found the same. I will now be sanding the door inners and coating it generously with Bosny Rubberzied Spray. Here is the link:

If anyone has tried and tested the above, or already has a better solution in place then please let me know. I will be posting pics and other items very soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks