Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:22   #676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
I would change the tie rod ends and other rubbers in the suspension after checking if it is frayed and old. Normally, I do my suspension overhaul (changing rubbers, etc) every 50,000 kms. Shock absorbers may be good, very little reason to change them unless they are leaking or otherwise faulty.

I would suspect your wheel alignment - change your wheel alignment guy and see how the car performs.

Have hub degreasing also done - that will also check out the state of your wheel bearings and replace if necessary (although Scorpio bearings are very robust and long-lived)
HVK Sir, Can you give a rough idea of the cost of your 50K Service of Suspension. Also do you have an idea of the cost of Tie Rod Ends ?

Last edited by Styler : 23rd October 2009 at 16:23.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:52   #677
BHPian

Oh btw guys, my Vlx gave me an average of about 11.34 per litre during the Gir trip with the A/c on 90% of the time. It gives me between 8.0 to 9.5 in the city.

Is this a decent average for a VLX or it ought to be better?
Old 23rd October 2009, 19:01   #678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styler View Post
HVK Sir, Can you give a rough idea of the cost of your 50K Service of Suspension. Also do you have an idea of the cost of Tie Rod Ends ?
I checked up old bills, cost me around Rs 2,500 for components. I changed first at 62K, then at 106K.

My overall cost of suspension reapirs cost me Rs 8,900 at 62K - the following were changed:

Ball Joint Kit
Bolt LCA Frt
LC/Hub Greasing
LC/Steering Box Machining
LC/Suspension Overhaul
LC/U Joint-Rear
Lower Arm Bush Front
Lower Arm Bush Rear
Lower Arm Pin
Outer Ball Joint
Shock Absorber Front Bushing Rubber
Spring Pad
Stabiliser Mounting Rubber Kit
Universal Joint Kit

Cost me Rs 6,700 at 106K - the following were changed:

Ball Joint Kit
Front LCA Bolt
Front Lower Arm Bush
LC/Free Rear Wheel Hub
LC/Lower Arm
LC/Suspension Overhaul
Lower Arm Rear Pin
Outer Ball Joint
Rear Lower Arm Bush
Rubber Stabiliser Kit
Old 23rd October 2009, 20:51   #679
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
hello Raj,

Good to hear from you again. My A.S.S guys are rip offs, they charge me 650 for a full car wash with pressure hoses and they wash the underbody as well. The local petrol pump does it for less.
if you are from mumbai, try global gallarie in thane, thats where my car goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Oh btw guys, my Vlx gave me an average of about 11.34 per litre during the Gir trip with the A/c on 90% of the time. It gives me between 8.0 to 9.5 in the city.

Is this a decent average for a VLX or it ought to be better?
9 kmpl is correct for a city like mumbai.
Old 24th October 2009, 08:36   #680
BHPian

HVK Sir,

Thanks million, this info is invaluable, I have printed it out, and am going to give my car today to Bhasin Motors.

Styler

Quote:
I checked up old bills, cost me around Rs 2,500 for components. I changed first at 62K, then at 106K.

My overall cost of suspension reapirs cost me Rs 8,900 at 62K - the following were changed:

Ball Joint Kit
Bolt LCA Frt
LC/Hub Greasing
LC/Steering Box Machining
LC/Suspension Overhaul
LC/U Joint-Rear
Lower Arm Bush Front
Lower Arm Bush Rear
Lower Arm Pin
Outer Ball Joint
Shock Absorber Front Bushing Rubber
Spring Pad
Stabiliser Mounting Rubber Kit
Universal Joint Kit

Cost me Rs 6,700 at 106K - the following were changed:

Ball Joint Kit
Front LCA Bolt
Front Lower Arm Bush
LC/Free Rear Wheel Hub
LC/Lower Arm
LC/Suspension Overhaul
Lower Arm Rear Pin
Outer Ball Joint
Rear Lower Arm Bush
Rubber Stabiliser Kit
Old 24th October 2009, 12:38   #681
BHPian

HVK Sir,

Your First Service which costed you around 9000 must have been many years back. They told me that the things that you listed for Rs 8900, would cost at least 20,000 as of today.

I gave my Scorpio to Bhasin Motors today.

I have listed the following things

# I have told them to do a thorough Check-Up of the Suspension, and change the parts which are worn out. Reason was uneven wearing and uneven patches on the Tyres. I have not told them to do the complete Suspension Overall - which would cost upwards of Rs 20,000/=

# They did not have the Fuel Injector Cleaning machine, but recommend that they add an additive to the fuel Tank instead. It costs 650. I have no idea if this would be of any use.

# They recommend Engine Decarbonising for Rs 1862. They told me it will decarbonise the Engine and clean-up the fuel pump too.

# They didn't understand "Tighten Allen Bolts in Engine Tapet Cover". Can you please explain what this would be exactly ? They said they can adjust Tapets if required. Since my engine runs perfectly I just don't want to unnecessarily finger it.

# Under-body Nut and Bolt Tightening

# Service with Oil Change and Oil Filter Change. Non-CRDE Scorpios are recommended to have an Oil Change Every 5000 Kms, and the CRDE Scorpios every 10,000 kms. I wonder why the engine oil has double the life in CRDE Scorpios.

# Wheel Alignment

# About Leaf Springs - They told me they only Lubricate them if they are in shape. If they are out of shape they do not re-camber. They simply replace. I have no problems with the Leaf Springs to I told them to just do the lubrication.

I will update when I get the Scorpio back, most probably tomorrow.

Styler

Last edited by Styler : 24th October 2009 at 12:42.
Old 25th October 2009, 14:25   #682
BHPian

Hello BHPIANs,

I picked up a Mhawk SLE from Gobal Galleria Panvel on June 2009. I am prying to clarify few things and confirm if they are really issues in my car or if its normal with all scorpios.

Within a weeks time of delivery I have identified the following issues in the car.
  1. Fuel sensors not working correctly. The low fuel voice warning would come up even if car had half tank fuel.
  2. Auto cop airen lost its sound and instead it started started Squeaking
  3. Loosely fitted body cladding in the left hand side.
  4. Grinding noise from the engine when RPM raised to min 2k and released immediately. i.e everytime the gear shift takes place the sound is clearly audible.
  5. Clutch noise. In stationary position in nuetral gear if clustch is realeased adrubtly and lound click noise can be hear.
  6. Differential rod noise. Its seems like that there is some play in the differential rod. The moment i realease the clutch i hear a loud on time noise (""""cluck""""). I am quite familiar with this noise - this happened in my Tavera but after completing 50,000 km.
The above was report to the dealer immediately. But the dealer seemed to be least interested to rectify the problem, hence I ending up writing to the M&M directly. I got a reponse within a day and negiotiated with the dealer to provide me a backup vehicle while the problems where rectified.
After the servicing only issue#1 and #3 where resolved. for #1 they replaced the sensor and the km reading become zero. For # 3 they replaced the nuts and bolts. they agreed that #2 is manufacturing fault and the remaing issues debated and made me believe they are normal and after first service 5k it will get fixed. I had no option but to buy their theory then.

I researched on # 2 found that the siren is completely exposed and during rains water could easily seep through the siren. With little bit of R&D I manage to get my siren sound back - I used a vacumm cleaner and hair dryer to dry the siren .

Well my major issues (#4, #5 and #6) still remains. After few days of driving i somehow was not comfortable with the remaining issues. I had followed up with the dealer again and demanding a logical explaination to the remaining issues. This time the workshop incharge himself and along with a senior mechanic dropped by my office. After checking they were in agreement with me with the exisitence of the remaing issues but they themselves were not sure about the problem and suggested they it would be escalated to the company.

Recently another problem has developed. At low speed (less then 10KM/Hr) while braking at times tyres get locked which results in a screeching noise. I suspect the ABS.

Well the car is going to clock 5k and i hope the above problem is rectified after first servicing. Appreciate if anyone could clarify here.

Thanks
Real_man

Last edited by Eddy : 13th December 2009 at 21:33. Reason: to remove HTML tags
Old 25th October 2009, 14:55   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
# They didn't understand "Tighten Allen Bolts in Engine Tapet Cover". Can you please explain what this would be exactly ? They said they can adjust Tapets if required. Since my engine runs perfectly I just don't want to unnecessarily finger it.

Styler
The allen bolts on the engine cover sometimes get loose over time, and there are minute engine oil leaks. I noticed that none of the ASCs even check this anytime. In my case, I found with passage of time that the bolts get loose, which is why I suggested you check and tighten if necessary. I did not mean adjusting tappets which is not needed now.
Old 25th October 2009, 15:55   #684
BHPian

Hi HVK and others,

I got my Non-CRDE Scorpio back after the 65K service.

The following was done :

Parts

1. Oil Crown 6 Ltr @ 178.33/ltr Rs 1069
2. Oil Filter Rs 138.66
3. Fuel Filter Rs 134.22
4. Engine Decarbonise Rs 1,862
5. MI3000 Fuel Aditive (For Injectors) Rs 577
6. ERing Clip Rs 135
7. SYL0009 Rs 300
8. Windscreen Wiper Nozzle Rs 75
9. Assy Shock Absorber Front 2WD X2 Rs 1,300
10. Kit Shock Absorber Rs 85

Service Charges

11. Paid Service Rs 1,250
12. Consumable Charges Rs 100
13. Wheel Allignement (Free with coupon)
14. Shocker Replace Rs 700
15. Jumping Rod Bush Replaced Rs 350

Adding Taxes the total bill was around Rs 9000/=

Apparently they didn't find fault with the Suspension, but they changed both the Shock Absorbers, and the Jumping rod bushes. This was for the uneven tyre wearing out problem. I will drive the vehicle for another 5K Kms before I do the Tyre change.

The Vehicle was driving fine even before, so no noticable change due to decarbonising.

Thanks for all the advice and help.

Styler
Old 25th October 2009, 16:00   #685
BHPian

It seems that Mahindra is loosing out on the Reliability factor for the Scorpio in the newer models, because they are inexperienced with hi technologies incorporated. There are lot of problems of Sensors etc in the newer models of Scorpio .

Thanksfully I have the Basic Non-CRDE 2.6 Turbo with the SZ2600 Plus Engine. It has been very reliable except for things like the AC Knobs and the Power Windows Failing.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:01   #686
BHPian

Does anybody have a clue why the 2.6 CRDE needs Oil Change every 10,000 kms whereas for the Older Non-CRDE the Oil Change was recommended every 5000 kms ?

As I understand the Engines were the same except for the fuel delivery systems.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:07   #687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently they didn't find fault with the Suspension
Since your car is 5+ years old, you must change the suspension rubbers - ideally, all rubbers should be replaced every 3 years at least, since rubber cracks up over time and with stress. I never cease to be bemused by the ASC's reluctance to recommend change of rubbers/belts - difficult job - whereas they are ever-eager to change filters and such like (easiest job). I think you must get your suspension overhauled in the next service visit. I don't think highly of ASC's opinions on matters where I think preventive maintenance is important.

Quote:
Does anybody have a clue why the 2.6 CRDE needs Oil Change every 10,000 kms whereas for the Older Non-CRDE the Oil Change was recommended every 5000 kms ?
I change every 10,000 kms only - mine is non-crde 2005 - I don't think oil change is recommended at 5,000 kms.
Old 25th October 2009, 16:37   #688
BHPian

Royal Loot on:

4. Engine Decarbonise Rs 1,862
5. MI3000 Fuel Aditive (For Injectors) Rs 577

I believe you were never made aware of Number 5.

That is the reason I hate these bloody Mahindra A.S.C thieves.
Old 25th October 2009, 17:47   #689
BHPian

Quote:
Since your car is 5+ years old, you must change the suspension rubbers - ideally, all rubbers should be replaced every 3 years at least, since rubber cracks up over time and with stress. I never cease to be bemused by the ASC's reluctance to recommend change of rubbers/belts - difficult job - whereas they are ever-eager to change filters and such like (easiest job). I think you must get your suspension overhauled in the next service visit. I don't think highly of ASC's opinions on matters where I think preventive maintenance is important.
I told them specifically to change the Tie Rod Ends and rubber parts in the Suspension. I think you're right, because it's a difficult job they avoid it. Are the rubber parts used in the Suspension available in the market. I have very reliable and trusted Mechanics who regularly do all jobs for foreign vehicles. If I get the parts I will just get them to do the Suspension for me.

Quote:
I change every 10,000 kms only - mine is non-crde 2005 - I don't think oil change is recommended at 5,000 kms.

According to the Service Advisors at the MASS (Bhasin Motors) it is recommended to change the oil every 5K Kms for Non-CRDE Scorpios. I specifically checked with 2 Service Advisors. I have been changing Oil every 5K Kms since I bought the vehicle. Maybe we should call up the Mahindra Help Line and check with them.
Old 25th October 2009, 18:09   #690
BHPian

Quote:
According to the Service Advisors at the MASS (Bhasin Motors) it is recommended to change the oil every 5K Kms for Non-CRDE Scorpios. I specifically checked with 2 Service Advisors. I have been changing Oil every 5K Kms since I bought the vehicle. Maybe we should call up the Mahindra Help Line and check with them.
Just check your owners manual and follow what it says.

Guys, I've got a somewhat related question - Whats the recommended change interval for the diesel filter for the CRDE Scorpios. Are these filters made by Delphi ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks