Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Excursions
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2010, 06:38   #91
BHPian

Nice jeep Tomahawk , what is the contraption in the front ....is it some sort of grill guard??
Old 5th May 2010, 08:59   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motocamp View Post
Nice jeep Tomahawk , what is the contraption in the front ....is it some sort of grill guard??
That's a tow bar. The ideal one.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:04   #93
BHPian

Why Have a tow bar, when you can do the same thing with a two leg sling?
Old 5th May 2010, 09:14   #94
BHPian

The Alfa Kilo Challenge

Go All out!
Attached Thumbnails
The Alfa Kilo challenge | 25th - 27th June | Followed by Mumbai/Rajmachi OTR-dsc_0329_1600x1071.jpg  

Old 5th May 2010, 09:16   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Because with that kind of fixed tow bar, you dont need a driver in the vehicle while it is being towed. Useful if you want to tow a vehicle on the highway for say 100km to reach an OTR spot.

Caveat Emptor: my theoretical knowledge far exceeds actual experience

Last edited by genesis : 5th May 2010 at 09:24.
Old 5th May 2010, 09:32   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's not for recovery. It's only to tow back a broken down 4x4 back to civilization. I'm planning to get one made (but a different design since my jeep doesn't have the D shackles upfront).

Advantages:

- no jerks when stopping and starting

- no need to for brake input from the car being towed

- distance always maintained

- the towed car always stays exactly behind the car towing it

@soumya: only if the front wheels are locked or off the ground can it be then used without driver input.
Old 6th May 2010, 23:53   #97
BHPian

Anddd the videos are still not up.. Guru Shankar, kuch karo yaar!
Old 10th May 2010, 18:48   #98
BHPian

Just got back from the farm, I have erected a Shamiana facing the river.

It will be the ideal place to have a bonfire at night during the challenge.

The Weather is still very hot but i managed to improve certain parts of the route by doing some digging which should make things a little more interesting later on.
Attached Thumbnails
The Alfa Kilo challenge | 25th - 27th June | Followed by Mumbai/Rajmachi OTR-dsc_0565.jpg  

The Alfa Kilo challenge | 25th - 27th June | Followed by Mumbai/Rajmachi OTR-dsc_0539.jpg  

Old 10th May 2010, 23:48   #99
BHPian

Hi Motocamp,

Kudos to you for the effort you are putting in for the Alfa Kilo Challenge. Hats off sir. A great tribute to a true blue Jeeper and a wonderful human being.

On the 25th of April, the day you had your recce with Tejas, Gogiji, gsferrari, Ladak.Imran (sorry if I missed anyone), I happened to cross them at the Shedung Toll Naka on the way to Karjat. I recognised Tejas' Classic (with his hat and Gogiji sitting besides him with a towel over his head). The two Gypsy's were behind the Classic. I immediately pointed out the convoy to my 7 year old son Aditya, and told him that they were returning from doing a recce for the Alfa Kilo Challenge.
Monday night as usual I logged on to TBhp and started browsing through the posts, hoping for some snaps of the recce. My son came and sat beside me and was also going through the posts. He liked what he saw.
Tuesday I come back from work and this is what he shows me:-
(Attached picture)
What surprised me even more was his instructions that we are going to attend the event. When I told him that we don't have a 4wd vehicle , he said no problem, buy one! I said not possible. So as of now he has agreed to attend the event as a spectator. Hope you and the rest of the gang will not mind. We will be looking forward to meeting all of you!

Slightly OT: Where is your farm at Karjat? I have a small farm at Vengaon, near the Mahalaxmi Temple. I am usually there on Sunday's, let me know if I can help in anyway.

Regards
Gautam.
Attached Thumbnails
The Alfa Kilo challenge | 25th - 27th June | Followed by Mumbai/Rajmachi OTR-001.jpg  

Old 11th May 2010, 06:50   #100
BHPian

Hi Bolbolero

Your son seems to be a jeep lover.

You Guys are more than welcome to participate , even if you have no jeep...at present , i am sure your son will change your mind after the challenge

My farm is close to Takve ,but it is quite interior.

i think there would be more than a few participants who do not actually have 4 wheel drive at present.
Old 11th May 2010, 06:54   #101
Senior - BHPian

Kunal - this weekend is open for me. Let me know if you need any muscle.

Also to the rest of the guys - terribly sorry about the videos. They are going on today...come what may!
Old 11th May 2010, 07:02   #102
BHPian

Hey Gs

good on you man , We are all Waiting for the videos!

I was beginning to think it had gone into your private collection

I will let you know about the weekend, not sure if i will be going this week, it has been 4 consecutive weekends that i have been there.
Old 11th May 2010, 11:26   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolBolero View Post
Hi Motocamp,

Kudos to you for the effort you are putting in for the Alfa Kilo Challenge. Hats off sir. A great tribute to a true blue Jeeper and a wonderful human being.

On the 25th of April, the day you had your recce with Tejas, Gogiji, gsferrari, Ladak.Imran (sorry if I missed anyone), I happened to cross them at the Shedung Toll Naka on the way to Karjat. I recognised Tejas' Classic (with his hat and Gogiji sitting besides him with a towel over his head). The two Gypsy's were behind the Classic. I immediately pointed out the convoy to my 7 year old son Aditya, and told him that they were returning from doing a recce for the Alfa Kilo Challenge.
Monday night as usual I logged on to TBhp and started browsing through the posts, hoping for some snaps of the recce. My son came and sat beside me and was also going through the posts. He liked what he saw.
Tuesday I come back from work and this is what he shows me:-
(Attached picture)
What surprised me even more was his instructions that we are going to attend the event. When I told him that we don't have a 4wd vehicle , he said no problem, buy one! I said not possible. So as of now he has agreed to attend the event as a spectator. Hope you and the rest of the gang will not mind. We will be looking forward to meeting all of you!

Slightly OT: Where is your farm at Karjat? I have a small farm at Vengaon, near the Mahalaxmi Temple. I am usually there on Sunday's, let me know if I can help in anyway.

Regards
Gautam.
Hi Gautam you are welcome man many of us surely will have place in the vehicles. I suppose you have a balero you can do some offroading with that too and by pass the difficult parts. Your kid for sure is going to be one of the next generation offroader, you better start saving up for a 4x4. My kid is on the same track.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:01   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I happened to cross them at the Shedung Toll Naka on the way to Karjat. I recognised Tejas' Classic (with his hat and Gogiji sitting besides him with a towel over his head). The two Gypsy's were behind the Classic.
You should have given us a wave and flagged us down mate!

Quote:
What surprised me even more was his instructions that we are going to attend the event. When I told him that we don't have a 4wd vehicle, he said no problem, buy one! I said not possible. So as of now he has agreed to attend the event as a spectator. Hope you and the rest of the gang will not mind. We will be looking forward to meeting all of you!
Aditya has a seat confirmed in my Classic. That pic made me smile after a long tiring day last night!

Your Bolero can do a bit of the obstacles as James mentioned.
Old 11th May 2010, 15:15   #105
Senior - BHPian

FINALLY we get to see the footage

Alfa Kilo Mercury Rising

Cameraman: Gogi Bhai

Cast and Crew:

MM540 - Kunal (motocamp)
Classic - Tej....(you decide what to call him)
Gypsy HT - Guru
Gypsy ST - Imran
Stranger - Stranger

The Convoy:

Kunal attempting to cross a deep rut with peaked approach and exit:

He got stuck and then we towed him out...twice! :

Finally over the crest...and stuck in the trough:

Until we all chipped in, stuck rocks under the tires, a spot of digging and discussions about creatures that nestle under the shade of the rocks that pack painful stings/bites. Oh...and we finally got him out.

We eventually made our way to a rather steep drop down a hill. I was pissing myself (it looked REALLY steep from up there!). Kunal decided to go first:

Then Tejas decided to do his "Look ma! no throttle!" stunt and went next:

I did my best Team America - World Police panic signal as I went downhill next:

Imran waited up top patiently for all the drama to subside before he made his run down:

After the downhill section we got to a riverbed. Here is Tejas's take on how to get across.

PLEASE NOTE: No THROTTLES were harmed in the making of this film

And he might have re-located his footboard in this video:

I didn't find the going too easy either and "harmed" the throttle a LOT in the making of this film:

More Throttle abuse by Mr.Ladakwhohasneverbeentoladakh

Kunal meanwhile decided that the best approach is to turn the MM540 into a jackhammer and "locked" his diffs against the rocks

Geoff the Gypsy in a cattle crossing followed by Imran:

After the cattle crossing we had to climb about 20 meters up a hill, turn around a tight bend on an incline, drive back down to a "Vee" rut, climb out and up another incline to freedom. Superb obstacle!

And Imran:

And Darth Tejas:

Close to the end we had to do another hill decline-incline (not sure what term you guys have for this) which was made difficult by soft sand hiding hard rock right in the groove. Imran got himself properly stuck here and the crew were giving me tips to stop me going around the "pussy" route to safety.

And then Kunal towed him out

I decided that valor was the better part of discretion and went hammer and tongs through this obstacle. Cost me Rs.1040 in a broken leaf spring. You can see, hear and feel the crunch when I made impact with solid rock

My first question after I reached the top?

"What did I break??? What did I break???"

Finally at the end of the day's OTR adventures. Tired, hot, hungry, thirsty, dusty and yucky. Imran was close to fainting!!

This was the last stretch just before rejoining the road.

What a day and what a trail!!

Last edited by gsferrari : 11th May 2010 at 15:22.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks