Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Technical
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2008, 00:02   #61
BHPian

I could not stop dreaming looking at your pictures, least to say they are awesome.
You have done a great job on your machine and it seems well worth it.
Indian bomb shell.
I have driven the jeep patriot once(thats the closest i have got to a jeep), but your ride does the Jeep name proud.
Old 3rd June 2008, 08:27   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Hi Red,

Would you be able to post some close up pictures of the rear sway bars that you installed? i am thinking of installing sway bars on the rear of my MM540 to reduce the body roll.
Old 5th June 2008, 10:45   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
One of my favorite pictures from that trip to Leh is attached. It pretty much sums up that a Jeep + open road = happiness

Anytime you want to see the jeep, just let me know.
Its a stunner. WoW! Keep it up the great work, Gaurav.

Cheers!
BH.
Old 6th June 2008, 18:04   #64
BHPian

These is the best jeep I have ever seen. Jeep being used as it was built to be used.
Old 28th June 2008, 06:01   #65
BHPian

I learn t to drive on an old suzuki engined gypsy , 4 gears , full free flowed with a rally cam , - in the great outdoors - crazy trip . Have done some serious offroading with it.
I love it , it's my bliss and have recently been thinking of what really can be done to a gypsy - it severely needs a revamp . Waiting for a reliable comfortable 4X4 in that price range.
Just curious what are your thoughts on the Gypsy?

Apart from that - I totally envy you for where you been and what you have done .
Hehe - buckle up have fun and take it easy man
Old 28th June 2008, 07:37   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyneverdie View Post
I learn t to drive on an old suzuki engined gypsy , 4 gears , full free flowed with a rally cam , - in the great outdoors - crazy trip . Have done some serious offroading with it.
I love it , it's my bliss and have recently been thinking of what really can be done to a gypsy - it severely needs a revamp . Waiting for a reliable comfortable 4X4 in that price range.
Just curious what are your thoughts on the Gypsy?

Apart from that - I totally envy you for where you been and what you have done .
Hehe - buckle up have fun and take it easy man
The gypsy is a very capable vehicle, and deserves respect for that. It is very easy to dismiss it as a a wannabe Jeep. But the fact of the matter is that the Gypsy is light, 4x4, live axles, etc. Suzuki copied all the positives of the Jeep into a lighter smaller package with Japanese reliability.
Old 28th June 2008, 09:45   #67
BHPian

Adapter Plate Challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
It is a hard thing to confess, my whole family is Adapter Plate Challenged.

I know that CNC is computerized or numerically controlled milling (I am a high-functional A.P.C. person) but exactly where is the adapter plate located? What gets connected to what? Is it a fly wheel that fits on the Scorpio side and on the 340 clutch side? How much does an Adapter Plate cost generally?
Hey Gaurav, will be great if you could throw some light on the above. - i.e. The Adapter Plate
Old 30th June 2008, 23:02   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmonie View Post
Hey Gaurav, will be great if you could throw some light on the above. - i.e. The Adapter Plate
Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier, but I was not sure about how to edit a picture on photoshop to point out the adapter plate. It is attached.

The concept of the adapter plate is very simple, but the execution has to be done very accurately and carefully. The adapter simply allows for two different bolt patterns to mate up. I did this in order to retain the 4x4 and the stock drive train after adding the Scorpio motor.

A lot of adapter plate type of work is done when diesel engines are added to otherwise gasoline vehicles, etc. The problem is that the fit up is usually very sloppy and the bold pattern is just marked by hand and then manually drilled. This results in driveline vibrations and reliability problems.

But if engineered well and the work is done accurately, an adapter plate can work very well. I actually had to go through 3 iterations of the current plate to get it to fit and work well.

Regards,

Gaurav
Attached Thumbnails
Highly Modified MM340 - Scorpio Powered Beast-trans-adaptor-plate-copy.jpg  

Old 1st July 2008, 03:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

can you please provide image from a bit different angle!! from back!
thanks
Old 1st July 2008, 11:44   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post

The concept of the adapter plate is very simple, but the execution has to be done very accurately and carefully.
Thanks, RedMM340. This clears up one mystery anyway.
Old 5th July 2008, 09:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

Superb. Wonderful mods, redmm. Just curious, though. In the list of the modifications, a boost controller is mentioned. I'm wondering as to what effect would variable boost have on this diesel. Since this's the 2.6 first-gen, with the mechanical DI, does the boost controller actually have any benefits?

Wait a sec. Or is it for high-altitude AFR manipulation purposes?

Another interesting mod is the dry NOS. Any specific reason why you chose it over a wet (fuel-line added) LPG system?

Also, I see that the hubs are lockable. Free-wheeling ones, are they?

Another question. Since the tubular cross-members are gas-welded onto the ladder long memebers, wouldn't it affect chassis flex/durability?

Oh, oh....one last, erm, doubt. Any plans of coil-spring-ing the axles? For better axle articulation, perhaps...and, maybe, independent rear ones....

Ahem. If I may....out of sheer curiosity... what's your daily drive, if this "project" is only for excursion purposes...? (Make my day & tell me it's a spoon 2000.....)
Old 5th July 2008, 09:30   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Superb. Wonderful mods, redmm. Just curious, though. In the list of the modifications, a boost controller is mentioned. I'm wondering as to what effect would variable boost have on this diesel. Since this's the 2.6 first-gen, with the mechanical DI, does the boost controller actually have any benefits?

Wait a sec. Or is it for high-altitude AFR manipulation purposes?

Another interesting mod is the dry NOS. Any specific reason why you chose it over a wet (fuel-line added) LPG system?

Also, I see that the hubs are lockable. Free-wheeling ones, are they?

Another question. Since the tubular cross-members are gas-welded onto the ladder long memebers, wouldn't it affect chassis flex/durability?

Oh, oh....one last, erm, doubt. Any plans of coil-spring-ing the axles? For better axle articulation, perhaps...and, maybe, independent rear ones....

Ahem. If I may....out of sheer curiosity... what's your daily drive, if this "project" is only for excursion purposes...? (Make my day & tell me it's a spoon 2000.....)

The boost controller is a very simple pressure regulator that allows you to increase or decrease boost pressure sitting in the drivers seat. It just fools the existing wastegate into opening at higher boost levels. The stock Scorpio motor runs around 13 psi, and this will allow a +15 psi. I have run at a max of 18 psi up to now. The effect is more torque/hp and a bigger grin when you mash the throttle.

A dry NOS is very suited to a diesel and is very simple. It just gives a shot of nitrous when engaged. Wet nitrous systems are usually for gasoline engines. Diesels usually have an oversupply of fuel at full throttle, so adding a bit of nitrous will give some power gain.

Those are Warn free wheeling hubs.

The cross braces are precisely for making the chassis more rigid. Judging by the street handling, they do work.

I have given coil springs a good deal of thought, but have stayed away from this option to retain the very rugged reliability of the current leaf spring set up. But it is definitely something that I may do in the future.

My daily drive is a MM550XDP and I did do a write up on this forum, so you can do a search if interested. My latest ride is a Palio GTX, which has nice performance, and a bit more comfortable that the Jeeps!
Old 6th July 2008, 12:25   #73
Senior - BHPian

@RedMM340;

Nice. A Palio makes for a wonderful daily drive.

Regarding the boost controller, I was only asking if it was beneficial in terms of power output. But since you say that the boost is bumped to 18 Psi, the gains are obvious. I presumed you had added that to overcome AFR issues at high altitudes.

Regarding the NOS. I was actually asking why you preferred NOS over LPG fumigation. Ususally, high performance diesels go with LPG fumigation for reliable performance and part longevity...

Technically, you can use wet shot of progressive nitrous induction for DI diesels as well. Not for common rails, though.

Oh, another doubt just crept into my thoughts. Regarding the adapter plate. Did you have to modify the tranny/input shaft length to mate it with the clutch...?
Old 6th July 2008, 16:20   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
@RedMM340;

Nice. A Palio makes for a wonderful daily drive.

Regarding the boost controller, I was only asking if it was beneficial in terms of power output. But since you say that the boost is bumped to 18 Psi, the gains are obvious. I presumed you had added that to overcome AFR issues at high altitudes.

Regarding the NOS. I was actually asking why you preferred NOS over LPG fumigation. Ususally, high performance diesels go with LPG fumigation for reliable performance and part longevity...

Technically, you can use wet shot of progressive nitrous induction for DI diesels as well. Not for common rails, though.

Oh, another doubt just crept into my thoughts. Regarding the adapter plate. Did you have to modify the tranny/input shaft length to mate it with the clutch...?

What is AFR ? Is it air-fuel ratio? If so, I just have to dial up the boost pressure to get more air.

NOS is for large but short time power gains. LPG gives moderate and continuous power gains. The 2.6 motor with the modifications is giving an estimated 150 hp. Which is not a bad power to weight ratio for a CJ340. My aim with the nitrous was to add an additional 50 h.p. of kick-*** power when needed, such as hill climbs, sand runs, mud slogging, etc.

The other issue is that LPG would require a big tank, and I just don't have that much room. I am thinking about doing this with my MM550 and Tempo Traveller. Any idea on how much flow of LPG is optimum, and is a fogging kit or hardware available in India?

I agree with the progressive N20, but those systems start to get complicated. This first system was just a test to see if N20 could work in this jeep.

Fortunately, the shaft was long enough to get full engagement. This is one reason the adapter plate has to be kept as thin as possible. But we did have to install a nice big bearing to keep that shaft in place.
Old 6th July 2008, 16:46   #75
Senior - BHPian

The Jeep Wrangler was something I had always wanted to own since I was a little kid riding in a relative's "sarkari jeep" back in the 70's .

This jeep reminds me of that Wrangler all over again !!!!! The closest of the original I have ever seen in India !!

Beautifully done job !! Your passion litreally drips from those pictures. Way to go Red !!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 6th July 2008 at 16:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks