Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:38   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
Hi Dirty Dan,
3) Diff-Ratio (Final Drive)
Petrols = Lower Ratio (reduction to increase torque or reach per torque rpm)
Diesels = Higher Ratio (Allow more wheel rpm)

4) Incase you cannot get lower diff-ratio, you can put a taller tyre, to lower the effective diff-ratio yet maintain maximum torque at the wheel because of the actual diff-ratio.

Regards,

Arka
A taller tyre will reduce the effective force (torque/radius) being exerted at the contact patch as compared to a smaller dia tyre. To maintain performance after a tyre dia upsize, a vehicle's diff ratio has to be lowered (i.e. fewer rotations of the axle per rotation of the propshaft) proportionately.

If you cannot get a lower diff ratio for some reason, you'll have to make up for it with a smaller dia tyre.
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:49   #77
Senior - BHPian

Correction to my previous post

Quote:
4) Incase you cannot get Lower diff-ratio, you can put a taller tyre, to lower the effective diff-ratio yet maintain maximum torque at the wheel because of the actual diff-ratio.
Thanks Alfa_Kilo,

Guys, please read the above as
4) Incase you cannot get Higher diff-ratio, you can put a taller tyre, to higher(numerically lower) the effective diff-ratio yet maintain maximum torque at the wheel because of the actual diff-ratio.

Regards,

Arka
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:53   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa_Kilo View Post
A taller tyre will reduce the effective force (torque/radius) being exerted at the contact patch as compared to a smaller dia tyre. To maintain performance after a tyre dia upsize, a vehicle's diff ratio has to be lowered (i.e. fewer rotations of the axle per rotation of the propshaft) proportionately.If you cannot get a lower diff ratio for some reason, you'll have to make up for it with a smaller dia tyre.
</p>Does this mean that for the same tyre size, reducing/lowering the diff-ratio will increase the available torque?
Old 23rd July 2008, 14:57   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
</p>Does this mean that for the same tyre size, reducing/lowering the diff-ratio will increase the available torque?
Yes, at the cost of speed.
Old 24th July 2008, 09:14   #80

Thank you very much all of you; i am overwhelmed with the great support you all are providing me.

Only after seeing the message of Headers did i realize that i need to change all if i have to install 5 speed gear box i.e. R & F differentials plus transfer case. once i change the rear diff then the front has to match the rear then the t-case has to match the front diff. I think my budget will not allow me to go to that extent. I should have bought a king i/o 410W.

Also from Arka's information on the 4 & 5 speed gear ratios on manual mode i think it makes sense i stick on to the existing 4 speed.

Hi Gotzuk thanks for the help. Eventhough i am now in favour of my 4 speed i would like to know how much it costs for the F & R diff, T-Case, and 5 speed gear box.
Old 24th July 2008, 12:33   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun ravi.k View Post
did i realize that i need to change all if i have to install 5 speed gear box i.e. R & F differentials plus transfer case. once i change the rear diff then the front has to match the rear then the t-case has to match the front diff. I think my budget will not allow me to go to that extent. I should have bought a king i/o 410W.
Hi, if you can get hold of a king, let me know.

Also, Gotzuk has already posted about the transportation cost. Am waiting for him to check on the parts and post here by maybe early next week.

BTW, pl rethink on your PS option. IMO, it is not needed. It may be disappointingly light and you may not have effective control at speeds > 60 or so.

Cheers
Old 24th July 2008, 13:57   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, if you can get hold of a king, let me know. BTW, pl rethink on your PS option. IMO, it is not needed. It may be disappointingly light and you may not have effective control at speeds > 60 or so. Cheers
Fully ahree with headers here. IMHO, PS on a Gypsy, especially if you are planing off-road, is not worth it. As it is, I find the steering to be quite light and havn't felt the need for PS any time -- both on-road/off-roadThe Gypsy steering also has the steering dampner, that helps...
Old 30th July 2008, 23:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Check this vid.

How did the engine keep running, it does not even have a specialized intake kit for water.
Old 30th July 2008, 23:52   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Check this vid.
YouTube - Farley quarry 20/5/07 suzuki sj water

How did the engine keep running, it does not even have a specialized intake kit for water.
if you look closely in the begining, there is a snorkel coming out from the left side and running flush with the windscreen frame...
also going by the clatter the engine makes when the fellow comes out, he is running a deisel engine.
cheers
Old 31st July 2008, 15:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, please read the above as
4) Incase you cannot get Higher diff-ratio, you can put a taller tyre, to higher(numerically lower) the effective diff-ratio yet maintain maximum torque at the wheel because of the actual diff-ratio.
Thanks. That had me scratching my head. Your picture is now back on my mantle.
Old 19th February 2009, 17:55   #86
BHPian

hi friends.

i have just converted my MG410W 4-speed to 5-speed (using king GB), retaining the stock 1000cc engine using a adapter plate, vehicle is really rocking, there is no rpm lag while shifting to 5th gear. i'm gettin a decent shift to 5th gear inbetween 40-50kmph itself, i'm yet to deliver the vehicle from workshop as few final works are on. will update more info soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun ravi.k View Post
Hi Gotzuk thanks for the help. Eventhough i am now in favour of my 4 speed i would like to know how much it costs for the F & R diff, T-Case, and 5 speed gear box.
hi arun,
when i purchased a king GB for my gypsy i found another GB lying there for sale. if you want i can dig more info for you.

Note from the Team-BHP Support: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this.

Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th February 2009 at 18:18. Reason: multiquote
Old 19th February 2009, 18:35   #87
BHPian

i have been wanting to do the same thing , but before i took it up , i wanted to check the gear ratios of the 5 speed gypsy king gear box and see if it will be a good match for the 970 cc engine ,since you have already done it pls give me more details as this will help me do the same mod on my gypsy.
Old 20th February 2009, 01:41   #88
BHPian

Just saw this thread.. and there is a similar looking sammy here,of one of the 4wd shop guys.Thought I will share. Its the factory coil spring model, this one is lifted though. 30 mm suspension lift with King springs and 50mm body lift. Note the 1.6 16v. And the hard top is fabricated fibre glass body.
Attached Thumbnails
Modifying Gypsy 410w-85338377_full.jpg  

Modifying Gypsy 410w-85338352_full.jpg  

Modifying Gypsy 410w-85339317_full.jpg  

Modifying Gypsy 410w-85337504_full.jpg  

Modifying Gypsy 410w-85338403_full.jpg  

Old 20th February 2009, 13:32   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey motocoorg, in 4th pic, the leafsprings are visible -- both front & back. Though in fist pic, one can see coil springs in the back.

Wondering how the 'coil' springs are working here. Any idea? Would love to know more.
Old 20th February 2009, 14:01   #90
Senior - BHPian

leaf springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hey motocoorg, in 4th pic, the leafsprings are visible -- both front & back. Though in fist pic, one can see coil springs in the back.

Wondering how the 'coil' springs are working here. Any idea? Would love to know more.
Khan bhai,
It is not leaf spring out there. They are trailing arms which locate the axle in position.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks