Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2012, 14:42   #1
BHPian

Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!

Hi,

Just spoke with two Chennai dealers who are talking about a ‘New’/ ‘Refreshed’ Thar expected soon. They have been advised that the refresher is there in the pipeline however, there is no confirmation of features/ upgrades. Dealers hinted at the following, however, couldn’t confirm.

A/c (what everyone is waiting for)
Power windows
Power steering (on DI as well)
ABS
Central Locking

Basically, everything that people have been cribbing about the ‘old’ Thar. One dealer said it will definitely cost more so on the road price is likely to be in 8L-8.5L range for this refreshed Thar.

I don’t think a price revision would be wise, given that lots of folks on this forum found the current vehicle was not good value (at 7L to 7.5L OTR) and didn’t have any A/c etc. Bumping it up another 50k-1L for what should already be factory fitted standard items in this day and age (2012) is not a good idea, in my opinion.

You’re talking Skoda Rapid/ Vento territory here and lots of wives will not approve their husbands’ mid-life crisis purchases which offer the poor level of interior fit and finish.

Dealer said it could be 2-3 months before the pricing and features are confirmed by Mahindra and bookings are taken, and it should take 4-6 weeks for deliveries to begin after that.

Link to Team-BHP's Mahindra Thar review

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2012 at 20:34. Reason: Adding link to our Thar review
shireeshjacobs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 17:41   #2
BHPian

Re: New Thar in 2-3 months – ‘Refreshed Thar’ dealer called it.

Hope they don't change the CRDe engine to the one found on the new Bolero! also a AC on a soft top 'jeep'!! sounds completely out of place to me (unless you want to hard top it and convert a 'jeep' into a large, not so practical hatchback!)
Old 28th February 2012, 18:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

More than a facelift / refresh, These features could be offered as a dealer fit accessory, so that people who want a bare-bones Jeep and people who want a bare luxury Jeep are equally satisfied
Old 28th February 2012, 18:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinair View Post
Hope they don't change the CRDe engine to the one found on the new Bolero! also a AC on a soft top 'jeep'!! sounds completely out of place to me (unless you want to hard top it and convert a 'jeep' into a large, not so practical hatchback!)
You obviously haven't gone through the countless posts on fitment of AC in the Thar. And in case he does come across this post, he will also vouch for the effectiveness of an AC in a soft-top Jeep.

Last edited by Jaggu : 7th March 2012 at 16:27. Reason: Please avoid commenting regarding mod actions. Thanks
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2012, 14:57   #5
BHPian

re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Hi,

Just spoke with two Chennai dealers who are talking about a ‘New’/ ‘Refreshed’ Thar expected soon. They have been advised that the refresher is there in the pipeline however, there is no confirmation of features/ upgrades. Dealers hinted at the following, however, couldn’t confirm.

That's good news. Can't wait to get these additions into my Thar. What a breather, finally! I am skeptical about the pricing though.

Last edited by GTO : 1st March 2012 at 13:56. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 1st March 2012, 19:32   #6
BHPian

re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!

Well, Delhi dealers seem to be suggesting something very opposite, which is quite disappointing and ... expected.

Re: Mahindra Thar : Test Drive & Review
Hey guys,
Been reading this thread and many others, especially related to the Thar and the other classic Jeeps, finally signed up and here is my first post - as I too am considering a Thar sooner or later.

The two who reverted and had details of the Thar said the following:

Shiv Automobiles says Thar CRDe 4x4 is available at an on-road price of 7.32L in Delhi, a M&M supplied A/C fitted by them is an additional 40,000.

The lady told me the waiting period is minimum 3 weeks, also on asking about That V2 or newer version or factory fitted A/C version - she said there was no chance of one coming anytime soon, on asking about hard top, she said that they only have soft top.

Second dealer was - Koncept Automobiles:

They say on-road price Delhi is 7.29L A/C will be additional 30,000 and they have tie up with a private modification dealer for a hardtop worth 49K.

On asking about V2, they said no information, delivery time of the CRDe is 1.5 months and customization another 4 days.

A yes or no would be good, though no information answer is really disappointing and frustrating. I asked both of them if they can take the question to M&M and revert, both refused stating that when there is a launch everyone will get to know...

Now don't know who to believe Delhi dealers, Chennai dealers' 2-3 months or the dealers who claim 3rd week of March...

It seems wait if the only thing one can do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A non OE HT is not worth it. And I doubt a THAR V2 is in the pipeline.
Well, I really hope that a V2 comes within the next month, and is not exorbitantly priced at 8L or 9L as rumored...

In the meantime, do you guys think 40,000 is a fair price for a dealer fitted a/c ?
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:12   #7
BHPian

I would suggest you wait it out. These are not purchases one makes regularly, so better off waiting to see if there is a new version which is what both the Chennai dealers confirmed to me. Only thing is time and if you have it?

I wouldn't want to buy something that is about to be outdated soon by a second model that has all the requirements I wanted the first model to have.

my two cents
Old 4th March 2012, 23:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
I would suggest you wait it out. These are not purchases one makes regularly, so better off waiting to see if there is a new version which is what both the Chennai dealers confirmed to me. Only thing is time and if you have it?

I wouldn't want to buy something that is about to be outdated soon by a second model that has all the requirements I wanted the first model to have.

my two cents
Time is not an issue, just the jeep bug Will book sometime in April only... hopefully by then an announcement of firm confirmation will be out... Did any dealer speak about factory fitted HT ? Not the horrible M&M Customizations one.
Old 5th March 2012, 16:59   #9
BHPian

I spoke to quite a few dealers in Chennai (Zulaikha and India Garage), when my brother wanted to book the Thar.

According to them, Crde engine is out, and in all probability, it would be replaced with the mhawk or meagle engine.

A/c and hard top are in, but optional. There is no plan to introduce any version except 4x4.

Shyam
Old 5th March 2012, 20:16   #10
BHPian

Not sure why are they going for change in engine. Only providing proper upgrades like A/C & optionable hard tops, lockers etc. will be good enough IMO. Also more comfortable rear seats will be nice.
Lets hope this is announced soon & there is not much increase in price, now that there is news going for taxing diesel vehicles more in coming budget.
Old 6th March 2012, 08:53   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamk View Post
According to them, Crde engine is out, and in all probability, it would be replaced with the mhawk or meagle engine.

Shyam
What? CRDe out?

Why would they change the engine and it has only been a year since its launch? Unless, they have a good enough reason like meeting emission standards. That's very unlikely. Or, is Bharat 5 going to be introduced anytime soon?

On second thought, this could probably be an effort to boost the mileage of the Thar with the current M2Dicr.
Old 7th March 2012, 00:26   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
What? CRDe out?

Why would they change the engine and it has only been a year since its launch? Unless, they have a good enough reason like meeting emission standards. That's very unlikely. Or, is Bharat 5 going to be introduced anytime soon?

On second thought, this could probably be an effort to boost the mileage of the Thar with the current M2Dicr.
Well, the efficiency part. When someone buys a Thar they do know what sort of efficiency it gives, not that anyone looking for fuel efficient car would buy the Thar, so I doubt if there is any need or demand to make it more fuel efficient - maybe just "upgrading" technology as mHawk is supposed to be latest and all that, right ? (Correct me if I'm wrong). Also, to put Scorpio's engine makes it easier to flatter people telling them that the Thar comes with Scorpio's Engine, Bolero's Interiors and Classic's ORT capabilities and a whole legacy ! Marketing gimmick, no ?

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 7th March 2012 at 06:00. Reason: Plz check note in post.
madnish30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2012, 14:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Also, to put Scorpio's engine makes it easier to flatter people telling them that the Thar comes with Scorpio's Engine, Bolero's Interiors and Classic's ORT capabilities and a whole legacy ! Marketing gimmick, no ?

[/b]
I believe early prototypes of Indian Thar had the Scorpio engine and this was shot down by Govern. CMRV (CMVR? ..whatever, twinks) or maybe M&M itself.

Adding another 15-25 horsepower with the 'meagle' would be no gimmick. We shall see, rumors abound.
Old 9th March 2012, 18:44   #14
BHPian

Well as they say " pure clarified butter and organic sugar " in your mouths. If this is true, i would expect that Maruti will be gearing up to release its much neglected step child Gypsy in a new avtaar. Speculations are abuzz that Tata is also planning some time next year to launch the Land Rover Defender in a three door version to counter M&M and Maruti.

What a small middle class family with aspirations of owning a 4X4 SUV, with an occasional trip, a driving holiday thrown in here and there, is a comfortable vehicle, which does the tricks of performing on a bad/off roads. What is required is very basic creature comforts: A hard top (a lockable cabin), an AC, a power steering, a rear window demister and washer, comfortable seats and driving ergonomics, a decent fuel economy, reliable machinery and Vroom......

I keenly watch this thread every day and look forward to updates....
Old 10th March 2012, 16:14   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madnish30 View Post
Also, to put Scorpio's engine makes it easier to flatter people telling them that the Thar comes with Scorpio's Engine, Bolero's Interiors and Classic's ORT capabilities and a whole legacy! Marketing gimmick, no?
Dear Mr.Madnish30 - reference your comment above, what is done meets the target customer and product requirement and also provides economy of scale to the company due to common platform design, therefore it is done. Nothing wrong and no secret there. There is no need to flatter today's customers, they are completely aware of what they are buying.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks