Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 08:47   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Dear Ken - congratulations on your buying the Thar CRDe. The engine is a 2.5, not a 2.6, bore is same, stroke is reduced by around 4mm to meet the import requirements of many countries that have lower duty on engine capacity upto 2.5 liters. It develops 105BHP and 25.5kgm. The axle ratio is 4.3:1. The vehicle is BS4 compliant.

If you want "real increase" in performance, make it like the "real Thar" (MH01V521). HaHaHa! Grinning smiley is 100% called for here, enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 17th April 2013 at 08:48. Reason: add info
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 13:50   #302

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

My first post here, so hopefully its not in the wrong thread/forum, still figuring my way around these things!

Was waiting with bated breath for the new and improved Thar in 2013. The showroom staff at Koncept Automobiles, Delhi, had informed me that bookings on the Thar had been closed w.e.f. early-March and the updated version was expected soon (with possible company-fitted hard-top option, front power-windows and better interiors). Rumors were rife about these on the Internet as well, and also pointed to the probable engine-transplant from the Quanto (which I was hoping against), and I'd been trawling these forums regularly for any whiff of confirmation, especially from BD sir.

Finally got a call from the showroom this week informing me that the new version was finally out. Went to check it out yesterday at the stock-yard, and its identical to the previous version except that its Rs.10k dearer! The stock CRDe is now 8.26L on-road.

The logic defies me, and I'm disappointed that there's been no improvement in the interiors. Hoping against hope that there will be a revised edition later this year...any confirmation on the same?

In the absence of this, I'll just have to pick it up stock and go for after-market mods to make it somewhere close to practical as a primary vehicle. Should have done this in Feb itself!
Old 18th April 2013, 19:26   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Ken - congratulations on your buying the Thar CRDe. The engine is a 2.5, not a 2.6, bore is same, stroke is reduced by around 4mm to meet the import requirements of many countries that have lower duty on engine capacity upto 2.5 liters. It develops 105BHP and 25.5kgm. The axle ratio is 4.3:1. The vehicle is BS4 compliant.

If you want "real increase" in performance, make it like the "real Thar" (MH01V521). HaHaHa! Grinning smiley is 100% called for here, enjoy! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

ECU locks me into 4:30:1 diffs, right??

A couple of things I like,

1.) Even this new engine gets up and boogies down the highway compared to other vehicles.

2.) The Thar handles, steers beautifully for the money and for the type of high riding vehicle it is. Very nice, B.D. (yeah, I know the off-road objections to rack and pinion and IFS, and I agree but on the HWY this thing handles nice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc.wanderer View Post
.....and its identical to the previous version except that its Rs.10k dearer! The stock CRDe is now 8.26L on-road.

The logic defies me, and I'm disappointed that there's been no improvement in the interiors. Hoping against hope that there will be a revised edition later this year...any confirmation on the same?

In the absence of this, I'll just have to pick it up stock and go for after-market mods to make it somewhere close to practical as a primary vehicle. Should have done this in Feb itself!
716000 out the door up here. Shows you how bad they are fleecing you.
My Invader needed a lot of work with the passes about to open going into the Himalaya trekking season so I picked up a Thar while I wait for repairs to my Invader. Otherwise I would have waited to see what comes out of Maruti (Jimny, x/a Alpha) or the other companies.

Check out Bimbra in Gurgaon. I visited their shop last month. Looked promising.

http://www.bimbra.in/
Old 18th April 2013, 19:45   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post

716000 out the door up here. Shows you how bad they are fleecing you.
My Invader needed a lot of work with the passes about to open going into the Himalaya trekking season so I picked up a Thar while I wait for repairs to my Invader. Otherwise I would have waited to see what comes out of Maruti (Jimny, x/a Alpha) or the other companies.

Check out Bimbra in Gurgaon. I visited their shop last month. Looked promising.

http://www.bimbra.in/
Thanks, DirtyDan! Have been following the Thar threads here, so Bimbra is on my list of resources, thanks to the satisfied clientele he seems to have here

And yeah, you're right...its akin to day-light robbery!

Will update next once I've taken the plunge...
Old 18th April 2013, 22:02   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Ken,
Congrats on the new Thar! Wish you many happy himalayan miles on it. Do keep updating us with your ownership experience.
I did read somewhere on the forum about 4.5:1 diffs available for Scorpio, which means you should be able to upgrade the Thar with it too, isn't it?
Cheers,
Deepak

Last edited by starter : 18th April 2013 at 22:03.
Old 19th April 2013, 17:16   #306
Senior - BHPian

The high price in Delhi and Gurgaon is due to a Rs. 80,000 mods kit supposidly OE that the dealers are charging for 5 x alloy wheels, front and rear bullbars, seat covers, mats and headlight grill mesh / insect mesh. What a rip off !
desertfox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 08:12   #307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
I did read somewhere on the forum about 4.5:1 diffs available for Scorpio, which means you should be able to upgrade the Thar with it too, isn't it?
Cheers,
Deepak
The difference between 4:30 and 4:50 does not make it worthwhile. The lack of low end grunt is really annoying. Had I remotely suspected that a 105hp engine with 4:30 crowns would perform so pitifully at low speeds on a steep hill, I would not have bought this thing. When the turbo kicks in there is plenty of power but, of course, you can not tap into that the turbo power when you are crawling around a switchback at less than 5kph, there is a 400 meter drop off on one side of you and an Army fuel tanker barreling down the hill at you. This kind of situation is quite common up here. Also, this new engine (see B.D. above) is giving me no more than 10kpl fuel average combined city/hwy. Yes, I know it will do slightly better when the engine is run in but not that much better. I am going to take it in to check the ECU but I have low expectations. Poor show, Mahindra.

Right now I would advise against anyone buying the revised Thar with this engine configuration.

Yeah, I know I can drop into low range in four wheel drive to pick up some some low end power but that does not help the two wheel mode.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 20th April 2013 at 08:15.
DirtyDan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 09:41   #308
BANNED

Quote:
Also, this new engine (see B.D. above) is giving me no more than 10kpl fuel average combined city/hwy.
Right now I would advise against anyone buying the revised Thar with this engine configuration.

Hi,

Thar CRDe Engine specs from day one to till today on road never changed.

Im confused with the above lines stating New Engine.

regards,
Rajith.

Last edited by Rajith : 20th April 2013 at 09:42.
Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 12:00   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The difference between 4:30 and 4:50 does not make it worthwhile. The lack of low end grunt is really annoying. Had I remotely suspected that a 105hp engine with 4:30 crowns would perform so pitifully at low speeds on a steep hill, I would not have bought this thing. When the turbo kicks in there is plenty of power but, of course, you can not tap into that the turbo power when you are crawling around a switchback at less than 5kph, there is a 400 meter drop off on one side of you and an Army fuel tanker barreling down the hill at you. This kind of situation is quite common up here. Also, this new engine (see B.D. above) is giving me no more than 10kpl fuel average combined city/hwy. Yes, I know it will do slightly better when the engine is run in but not that much better. I am going to take it in to check the ECU but I have low expectations. Poor show, Mahindra.

Yeah, I know I can drop into low range in four wheel drive to pick up some some low end power but that does not help the two wheel mode.
That is the problem with CRDi engines; they depend a lot on the turbo to provide the torque boost; they lack the low end grunt of the older DI/IDI engines. An older 50HP engine can beat a 100HP engine hollow in difficult terrain.

So with a CRDi engine I would get into 4x4 low range when crawling at 5-10 km/h in difficult terrain. At least Thar enable "on fly" shift to 4x4.
Old 20th April 2013, 19:30   #310
XD2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
The high price in Delhi and Gurgaon is due to a Rs. 80,000 mods kit supposidly OE that the dealers are charging for 5 x alloy wheels, front and rear bullbars, seat covers, mats and headlight grill mesh / insect mesh. What a rip off !
When I got my Thar around a year back, Delhi dealer quoted Rs.3000+ for the insect mesh, Gurgaon Rs.2000, Faridabad Rs.1000 (which was the actual I had heard). Finally the Gurgaon dealer conveniently agreed to the Faridabad prices, and I got the accessories fitted there.

Quote:
... The lack of low end grunt is really annoying. ...
Faced this same trouble on a 'not no steep' drive to Nainital some time back. I took a U bend in 2nd gear and had to slow down due to some traffic - the vehicle ran out of breath midway, taking me by utter surprise.. quickly switched back to first and pulled thru. Not sure if that is way its supposed to behave, but for the rest of the journey for any bends that I needed to be slow on, had to switch back to the first gear. Fyi, there were 5 people onboard.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:36   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Hi,

Thar CRDe Engine specs from day one to till today on road never changed.

Im confused with the above lines stating New Engine.

regards,
Rajith.
I think it's me who is/was confused. I had Mahindra dealer mechanics here tell me it is a Scorpio 2.6L. Others told me other things....plus people on this site said a new engine was coming....so I jumped to conclusions supplied by "experts".

I assume it is the original Thar engine per your understanding. The original Thar motor is the 2.6L with modification of the stroke as explained a few posts above by B.D.
Old 21st April 2013, 17:59   #312
BANNED

Quote:
I think it's me who is/was confused. I had Mahindra dealer mechanics here tell me it is a Scorpio 2.6L. Others told me other things....plus people on this site said a new engine was coming....so I jumped to conclusions supplied by "experts".

I assume it is the original Thar engine per your understanding. The original Thar motor is the 2.6L with modification of the stroke as explained a few posts above by B.D.
MR BD --- The engine is a 2.5, not a 2.6, bore is same, stroke is reduced by around 4mm to meet the import requirements of many countries that have lower duty on engine capacity upto 2.5 liters. It develops 105BHP and 25.5kgm. The axle ratio is 4.3:1. The vehicle is BS4 compliant.
Old 22nd April 2013, 19:16   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all - I am a little surprised how so much confusion can happen. I guess I'll have to use the Mumbai Tapori Hindi language here. Here goes!

"Arre bhai log, aapun bola naa 2.5 NEF CRDe hai bole to 2.5 hai, samjha kya? Naya injun kidhar se laayega aur kayku laayega? Jo hai usko to theek se banane do naa! Woh kya hai, yeh jo emission hai naa, usne aapun ke dimaag ka dahi banake rakhela hai, samjha ke nahin! Aur nayaa injun lagayega naa to aur bhi mahenga hoyega ki nahin! Barobar baithega ki agadi pichadi karna padega, kaun karega? Kya re, thoda socho naa! Aur yeh jo gaadi ke andar ka maal naa, bole toh instrument panel-vanel, pahele se hich bahot raapchik hai, abhi dono baaju mein "nagoba birakit" lagaya, thoda achcha dikhta hai re baba, marathi mein aapun log usko "naagoba birakit", aisa naam diyela re, naag ke jaisa dikhta naa, iske liye! Naya IP bananeku jaayeha naa to pahele kaisa mangta hai wohich decide karne mein log buddha ho jaayega, uska baad mein bahut paisa lagega, kon dega, maalum nahin, kabhi dega, khuda bhi gawah nahin, kayku bole to khuda 3rd shift mein rehta hai re baba! Yeh aapun bolta hai, "samjha ke nahin abe dhakkan!" Chal isi baat pe "cutting-chai" marte hain, kya bolta hai bhai log!

I hope you guys got it! Somebody please translate it for Ken!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 20:15   #314
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear all - I am a little surprised how so much confusion can happen. I guess I'll have to use the Mumbai Tapori Hindi language here. Here goes!
Too good. Just over came Mr Jaspal Bhatis gap with this.

Any how we driven today from Bangalore to Tirupur @ 350 kms in 4.5hrs including a 15 min break. Closed the speedo, still engine was demanding a 6th gear and more room in speedo !!. Why so??.Thar was just a lightning on the Hiway and not even a single men or machine was able to catch it, got an average of 11.2kms/ltr.

My friend who owns a Safari drove this and decided to book a THAR on return to Bangalore immediately.Also may one or two spectators on road who saw us may also opt for this machine for sure.

Last edited by Rajith : 22nd April 2013 at 20:19.
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:43   #315
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Rajith - today is a good day, you know! .

Your drive statistics: you have covered 350 kms (Bangalore to Tirupur) in 255 minutes of driving time at an average speed of 82.35 kmph which means you covered 1 km in 44 seconds and you did it consistently for 350 kms! Wow, that must be some drive, with the brakes you have, its safe if your reflexes are sharp but others must be careful! And you had reserve power left! You said nobody could catch you, at that speed, who can?

My drive statistics in MH01V521: I used to cover exactly 179 kms (Dadar Parsi Colony Mumbai to Nasik plant main gate) in 125 minutes of non-stop driving time at an average speed of 85.92 kmph which means I used to cover 1 km in 42 seconds and I used to do it consistently for 179 kms every week, week after week! Good old 521 was still faster by 2 seconds! I had better brakes than what you have! I used to have "lots of" (ahem!) reserve power left! An Audi A6 had tried from Shahpur to Garware Chowk (entrance to Nasik) and failed miserably! Everybody had seen the return drive from EXAMM (last obstacle to INS Shivaji) on the night of 25 June 2010. Jignesh and Gogi (Viper and V-16) had "commented" on the "almost as if on rails" handling characteristics of the drive between Panvel and Pen on the way to the Alibag OTR in August 2010.

This very clearly shows the potency of such a platform with perfect weight distribution, power curve, transmission and tires.

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO DO NOW! . THANKS!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 22nd April 2013 at 22:47. Reason: add info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks