Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2012, 11:17   #286
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Hi Rajith,

I am sure the mechanical parts are reliable and offer good performance.

But what pissed me off was the lack of even basic quality on the interiors. It looked as if it was put together by some engineering students in a college project. I had to ask the sales guy twice if this was indeed the newer version of the thar.
Thar interiors are borrowed from BOLERO VLX and made to fit in a MM540/550 shell. Any how choice is yours, its a fantastic machine.

Last edited by GTO : 29th December 2012 at 08:51. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting an entire long message inconveniences our mobile users
Old 21st September 2012, 20:36   #287
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Seems like another poor soul followed his heart to a Thar and Mahindra service did him in.

Check out this FB page

http://www.facebook.com/DisasThar
Old 22nd September 2012, 10:45   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post
Seems like another poor soul followed his heart to a Thar and Mahindra service did him in.

Check out this FB page

Poor soul indeed.

This dude ought to sue for 3 x (price of vehicle on road) + get a full product replacement (not just 'fixes') .

Looks like they shipped him a lemon.
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:36   #289
BHPian

Its a shame if buyers of an aspirational vehicle like the Thar go through this. This adverse publicity in the midst of car enthusiasts like us team-bhp members would not do the brand any good.

For the sake of Mahindra and Thar, I hope his problem is sorted out.

P.S.: Bring the hardtop
Old 22nd September 2012, 11:53   #290
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 1st October 2012 at 12:12.
cpbopanna is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd September 2012, 20:16   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by godhatesmyguts View Post

Check out this FB page

Poor guy! I completely understand what he must be going through and the kind of response he's possibly getting from Mahindra. When I had asked BD about the issue of non-competence in several of the ASCs, the response was these guys are not the motivated types. Now, how does a customer who spends 8L understand how to keep them motivated? Do we as customers go with incentives for servicing/repairing our vehicles or is it the job of the company to ensure all of this! Basically, I see a pattern here, Mahindra from what I understand is a company that makes substandard products for the rural markets (They haven't shifted from that mindset), which until recently were their primary target audience and is still miles behind, when it comes to catering to the urban audience, who are in the 'know' of product quality and standards. This also goes to show that the rural audience were always taken for a ride.
Trueintrepid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 00:18   #292
RVD
BHPian

Went to India Garage on Palace Road today and the sales exec informed me that any new booking for the THAR would be taken for the **New Thar** that is expected in the first quarter of 2013. He said that it would be a refreshed version but did not have any ideas of the changes that are expected. Does any body in the forum have any news on the same ??

Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 15:01   #293
BHPian

There has been some discussion in other parts of this forum, where in, it is speculated that the THAR would be fitted with a new engine (the one in Quanto). Here in Delhi, they are still accepting bookings.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:19   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya sinha View Post
There has been some discussion in other parts of this forum, where in, it is speculated that the THAR would be fitted with a new engine (the one in Quanto). Here in Delhi, they are still accepting bookings.

Well, is it or ain't it the Quanto engine? Quanto is squato IMHO. Lord Shiva, please do a tap dance on all buzzy little new age undersized over-turboed engines. I don't want my jeep to sound like a chain-saw. (Shiva is in charge of that, right?)

Last edited by DirtyDan : 24th January 2013 at 15:28.
DirtyDan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2013, 12:35   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
We were in a Mahindra Thar, which ironically wasn’t powered by the 2.5-litre CRDe motor that does duty in the regular Thar. Instead our vehicle was powered by the Scorpio’s 2.2-litre mHawk engine which is more powerful than the regular Thar. The vehicle also featured the instrument cluster and steering wheel from the Scorpio. Inherently the biggest problem we faced with the mHawk powered Thar was clutch burn and we were told not to half clutch!

Read more at http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/mahind...AR46jAspxwd.99

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ar-crde-8.html
Post # 109 & 112
So hopefully the " Mhawk" is going to be in the upcoming refreshed Thar , and the interiors are getting better , along with better brakes .

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Well, is it or ain't it the Quanto engine? Quanto is squato IMHO. Lord Shiva, please do a tap dance on all buzzy little new age undersized over-turboed engines. I don't want my jeep to sound like a chain-saw. (Shiva is in charge of that, right?)

Dear Sir,
Shiva might not be disturbed just as yet, according to motor beam and our other distinguished members, the "M-HAWK" might be pushed into service. I'm not very sure as to how will this change alone help the THAR's cause, if other important and cosmetic changes / alternatives are not made available.
Old 15th April 2013, 15:16   #296
Senior - BHPian

My Thar CRDe arrived 4 days ago. Red. It's got the immobilizer, Factory A/C, Tachometer.

It has a NEF configured engine. There are little stickers all over the engine bay that say NEF so I guess that is what she be.

However, the mechanics at the dealer tell me it is the old 2.6L Scorpio engine NEFed up, so to speak. Does this sound possible/plausible? Can you tell from the pictures?

If so, what horsepower do I have? What are the characteristics of this motor that I should be aware of?

I can tell you one. It can't climb steep hills at low speed worth a tinker's curse. My Invader with its 4:88 diffs blows the doors off this Thar. Yes, when you are at higher speed and the turbo kicks in, it really blasts down the road. Going to have to learn to put my foot into it in first gear, I think, or make a modification....or, heaven forbid, live with it. We have many steep little roads here, really steep, some hardly little at all actually..... We had an incident lately where an Toyota Innova was stuck half way up an alley and its engine would take it no further up the hill. They partially unloaded the tourist luggage and tried again. The young driver revved the engine and popped the clutch. The turbo kicked in and deposited the Innova inside a guest house after knocking down a wall.

Well, whatever this engine is its turbo surely kicks in with authority but this Thar as it is configured right now has no power at low speeds, something you might like to have in the mud or going up a steep hill. I suspect that BSIV and/or CMVR may be behind this. Comments and solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-eng-1.jpg  

Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer!-eng-3.jpg  

DirtyDan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 15:57   #297
BHPian

Quote:
My Thar CRDe arrived 4 days ago. Red. It's got the immobilizer, Factory A/C, Tachometer.

It has a NEF configured engine. There are little stickers all over the engine bay that say NEF so I guess that is what she be.

However, the mechanics at the dealer tell me it is the old 2.6L Scorpio engine NEFed up, so to speak. Does this sound possible/plausible? Can you tell from the pictures?

If so, what horsepower do I have? What are the characteristics of this motor that I should be aware of?

I can tell you one. It can't climb steep hills at low speed worth a tinker's curse. My Invader with its 4:88 diffs blows the doors off this Thar. Yes, when you are at higher speed and the turbo kicks in, it really blasts down the road. Going to have to learn to put my foot into it in first gear, I think, or make a modification....or, heaven forbid, live with it. We have many steep little roads here, really steep, some hardly little at all actually..... We had an incident lately where an Toyota Innova was stuck half way up an alley and its engine would take it no further up the hill. They partially unloaded the tourist luggage and tried again. The young driver revved the engine and popped the clutch. The turbo kicked in and deposited the Innova inside a guest house after knocking down a wall.

Well, whatever this engine is its turbo surely kicks in with authority but this Thar as it is configured right now has no power at low speeds, something you might like to have in the mud or going up a steep hill. I suspect that BSIV and/or CMVR may be behind this. Comments and solutions?
Congrats DD sir for the Red Hot Thar.
How is the ride quality on those roads there.
I think it has got 105 bhp, 24kgm torque, but with those 3.7:1 axle ratios it may not be as good as your Invader.

Nevertheless, wish you happy miles with it & keep us updated with whatever you feel like
Old 16th April 2013, 05:31   #298
BHPian

It surely is the NEF TCI-CRDe engine with 105 Bhp and 4.3:1axle ratios as seen on Thar webiste: http://www.mahindrathar.com/specification.aspx
Old 16th April 2013, 14:51   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhkris View Post
It surely is the NEF TCI-CRDe engine with 105 Bhp and 4.3:1axle ratios as seen on Thar webiste: http://www.mahindrathar.com/specification.aspx
Yes. Right. Sorry for confusion.
The CRDE got 4.3:1 ratio, while as it is DI that has got lesser 3.7:1 ratio. (Even Bolero gets the same 3.7:1 ratio).
Old 16th April 2013, 16:20   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My Thar CRDe arrived 4 days ago. Red. It's got the immobilizer, Factory A/C, Tachometer...
Congrats on the new Thar CRDe, DirtyDan ! Wishing you many miles and miles of Happy motoring with it in the Himalayan heights .

Quote:
...It has a NEF configured engine. ...However, the mechanics at the dealer tell me it is the old 2.6L Scorpio engine NEFed up, so to speak. Does this sound possible/plausible?...
NEF/2.6L/2.5L/2498cc...mmmmm....that is an old can of worms that I dont want to re-open now .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks