Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 19:25   #181
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Heard that the Thar is now available in a new variant as well called "The Expedition". Does anyone has any knowledge about it?

Update: Link to page where details of the new version is mentioned
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-new...more/itemid-50

Last edited by diveshsingh : 16th May 2012 at 19:26. Reason: added link to top gear site page where relevant information was mentioned
Old 17th May 2012, 08:22   #182
BHPian

Re: Updated Mahindra Thar in 2-3 months. EDIT : Launched with Air-Con and immobilizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Yes Fortuner, indeed I have
Congratulations Bopanna - I am sure you would be getting your vehicle soon - looking forward to your initial review as well - In the mean while - can you please let us know - how much is the Thar on road in Bangalore these days.

Cheers

Last edited by carrot_eater : 17th May 2012 at 08:23. Reason: -
Old 18th May 2012, 16:58   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveshsingh View Post
Heard that the Thar is now available in a new variant as well called "The Expedition". Does anyone has any knowledge about it?

Update: Link to page where details of the new version is mentioned
Mahindra Thar updated with air con and more - Car news - BBC TopGear Magazine India Official Website
It looks promising, but for all you know it may be a product of their customization division.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:07   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
Congratulations Bopanna - I am sure you would be getting your vehicle soon - looking forward to your initial review as well - In the mean while - can you please let us know - how much is the Thar on road in Bangalore these days.

Cheers
Hi Carrot Eater

Its INR 8.18 Lakhs on road Bangalore

Regards

Bopanna
cpbopanna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 17:33   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Hi Carrot Eater

Its INR 8.18 Lakhs on road Bangalore
Thanks Bopanna - I realized that you had quoted the price just a few days back.
I think you have been waiting for the FF AC model for a long time - I was also in a similar situation just that I couldn't get my self to wait so long - but I waited for getting the AC fitted and that wait helped - I have the approved kit AC - but one big difference the AC is Not ECU controlled.

Looking forward to reading your buying experience and initial review.

Cheers
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 08:45   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
I have the approved kit AC - but one big difference the AC is Not ECU controlled.

Cheers
Please clarifying if the ac that is company fitted in the upgraded Thars is ECU controlled.

Also, does it have a major impact on fuel efficiency and power?
Old 22nd May 2012, 11:24   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueintrepid View Post
Please clarifying if the ac that is company fitted in the upgraded Thars is ECU controlled.

Also, does it have a major impact on fuel efficiency and power?
The new Thar -2012 - Factory Fitted AC is indeed ECU controlled - clarified by Vinod on this thread earlier as well.

However the After market approved kit is Not- that was one big draw back -with a new electrical relay/ wiring harness - one could possibly get the AC to be controlled by the ECU, as the ECU remains the same - only the new data set (including AC) may have to be re-mapped.

And impact on fuel efficiency - yes, as one would expect - a drop of about 1 km/L - with AC usage. And power - well nothing significant.

I drove out to Wayanad after getting the AC fitted - after market - Non- ECU controlled - just to test the AC out and get any issues fixed if encountered. But honestly faced no issues. Fuel efficiency dropped by about 1 Km/ L - I think that's normal for any vehicle.

We will have to wait for Bopanna's review about how the Factory fitted , ECU Controlled AC performs and the fuel efficiency.

Last edited by carrot_eater : 22nd May 2012 at 11:36. Reason: - clarification
carrot_eater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 13:56   #188
BHPian

Hi All,

I am planning to book a Thar in Bangalore. Before I do that I wanted to check if any of you who bought the Thar managed to get a test ride?

I checked at India Garage, they said they do not have test ride vehicle. On pushing much the guy said he will get back. I know what that means in reality! Anyhow then checked at SKS, they said you have to come to the showroom for a "short" test ride. I asked what do you mean by short test ride? The guy then said unregistered vehicle, you can do a 2-3 kms test ride in an around the showroom

Thus thought of any guys who recently booked the Thar can help me with the right dealership/right person name to deal with. Thank you
Old 24th May 2012, 14:20   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesomeone View Post
Hi All,

I checked at India Garage, they said they do not have test ride vehicle. On pushing much the guy said he will get back. I know what that means in reality! Anyhow then checked at SKS, they said you have to come to the showroom for a "short" test ride. I asked what do you mean by short test ride? The guy then said unregistered vehicle, you can do a 2-3 kms test ride in an around the showroom
Please write to Mahindra and tell them exactly what the dealer said. Its absolutely ridiculous that they are selling a lifestyle vehicle and they can't offer either a demo vehicle or a longer test ride. If possible, you can write to Anand Mahindra himself through Twitter - anand mahindra (@anandmahindra) on Twitter.

Mahindra better be serious about these things. The product itself isn't of high quality in the first place, and on top of that, they are arrogant enough to decline interested / potential buyers?
Old 24th May 2012, 19:11   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Please write to Mahindra and tell them exactly what the dealer said. Its absolutely ridiculous that they are selling a lifestyle vehicle and they can't offer either a demo vehicle or a longer test ride. If possible, you can write to Anand Mahindra himself through Twitter - anand mahindra (@anandmahindra) on Twitter.

Mahindra better be serious about these things. The product itself isn't of high quality in the first place, and on top of that, they are arrogant enough to decline interested / potential buyers?
Thanks but I am not much of a twitter guy. As you said I was also surprised that they want to sell vehiclle but don't provide a test drive. When I checked in mahindra's website. They proudly have put an icon for test driving Thar. I hope they follow through with the dealers prior to making tall claims on the website
Old 25th May 2012, 10:06   #191
BHPian

The TD link on the website does nothing :-). Filled in the details there on April 14th,2012 for a TD - no call or email since that in over a month now!
Old 25th May 2012, 15:48   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
The TD link on the website does nothing :-). Filled in the details there on April 14th,2012 for a TD - no call or email since that in over a month now!
Hey that TD link works for real. I had booked a TD in feb last year and got a call in june. In july they got Thar home for TD. .

Saw my gypsy parked at home and they were really happy to see an off roader.
So they told me to engage 4L on the tar road it self. Had to tell them the difference of 2H and 4H (which they never understood).
Old 25th May 2012, 16:14   #193
BHPian

@livyodream - have not heard of anyone in Chennai getting a TD so far ...people booking without test drives.
Old 25th May 2012, 17:53   #194
BHPian

Its not available in Delhi too, I got call from Mumbai after booking TD online after a month, then almost 1 months no one called. Then got call from dealer for booking, I asked for TD, he says will do it, now its 3rd week no TD yet. Earlier before refreshed one came in, visited Showroom too, but unfortunately no TD vehicle, I am guessing he went in service area to look for some customer vehicle which he can offer me for TD. But came back saying sorry as its on demand kind off stuff, we can't offer TD.
Old 25th May 2012, 18:24   #195
BHPian

I am finding this ridiculous that Mahindra is at ease with the situation on ground. When it's in public knowledge that their dealers do not offer test ride vehicle and in some cases offer other customers vehicles for test ride. I am scared to even buy a Thar now, what if my vehicle is also used for test rides?

Most Viewed