Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2012, 13:44   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Now your Jeep looks really good. The canopy fitment is one of the best I have seen (when done outside).
Thank you Sirji!. Its hard to get an appreciation from perfectionist guys like you, and when one gets it, its worth all the effort!

Quote:
Still, I see wrinkles on the rear bow and A pillar area, get that also sorted. Did you use the plastic press fit type plugs near the A pillar channel? Any rattling?
Rear bow? I did not understand. You mean, the rear most pillar? There is about half inch of canvas more to come down in that area. I was told, after using for a while, it should be set.

And, regarding the area near the channel which connects the Glassframe and the A pillar, I bought plastic press fit type plugs which is used is M800, but it turned out that they are a bit smaller.. Have to get bigger ones. Any idea from where/which vehicle I can source them? Or else, i'll have to resort putting in a bigger washer.

And, NO rattles from the soft top. Only above 60 or so speeds, as the plug is still not secured the above mentioned area, it flies and makes some kit-kat sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
- Sir, if I may ask, what color have you chose?
The color is self made.. .. The combination is something like: In a liter of matt black, ~80ml of silver and some white.
Old 17th November 2012, 10:05   #107
Senior - BHPian

Nice Jeep there dhanushs. I love the new soft top. Very snug fit indeed.

Army wheels and losing those Ironman decals will make it perfect, in my eyes. Somehow, don't like alloys on a Jeep.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 21:56   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Nice Jeep there dhanushs. I love the new soft top. Very snug fit indeed.
Thank you deetjohn.
Quote:
Army wheels and losing those Ironman decals will make it perfect, in my eyes. .
Loosing those decals.. well.. been getting this opinion from many.. Will consider sir.
Quote:
Somehow, don't like alloys on a Jeep
You know, you need to have the extra 'J' for fitting bigger and wider tyres. IIRC Army rims are only 5.5 J and mine IIRC is 8J.
Old 21st November 2012, 00:16   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
You know, you need to have the extra 'J' for fitting bigger and wider tyres. IIRC Army rims are only 5.5 J and mine IIRC is 8J.
Correction, more than the 'J' , the tire seating section width on the wheel rim is what actually matters. J refers to a type of wheel rim section profile.

Army rims are 5.5 F

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 21st November 2012 at 00:17.
Old 21st November 2012, 10:27   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The soft top is ON! Got the original Thar CRDe canopy, which fits like a glove!
Dear Dhanush - thanks for appreciating. It has to fit like a glove, I have put my heart and soul into making it exactly as I always wanted it. As far as I know, you are the first non-Thar guy who has fitted Thar CRDe canopy on his vehicle. At least now, (I hope) "somebody" will realize that I have given them spare parts business also. It is so frustrating to show things clearly and also seeing actions not happening.

Now please do the following to still improve the canopy fitment. I could not do it in production for reasons now very well known to all of you:

1. For attaching the canopy sides to the part above the doors, I had to use "buttons" reverse used from a competitor vehicle but you need not do it. There are 5 holes of 6.35mm diameter (1/4 inch). Take a 1/4 inch drill (a long one), drill holes in the inner side of the sheet metal part, taking location of the existing holes. Then take a 1 inch wide 1/4 inch thick steel plate or a steel "C" section of appropriate length, drill 5 holes in it and use long M6*1.0 bolts to fasten this part through the sheet metal bracket. Use two nuts to tighten and use controlled torque as you will not have spacers inside the part, if you just tighten, the part will collapse. This new part can be black painted or preferable dull black powder coated. This will provide a permanent solution in this area. I avoided doing this in production due to reason mentioned above.

2. For canopy sides at the bottom, I have provided a long pocket inside which a plastic part is inserted. This is to keep the end straight and prevent flapping. Remove the stitches on the front vertical face of this pocket, remove the plastic part and throw it out, it bends and does not really provide the result I wanted out of it. Buy a 3/4 inch diameter or a 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch square aluminium pipe from any hardware store, insert it and restitch the front face. Canopy will sit much better. Put small pipes at the rear ends also, or drill a 6mm diameter hole in the body through the canopy and fix it. This will take care of the wrinkles that Pratheesh was mentioning. I avoided doing this in production as I had kept this in my pocket to do in "next year's model" as "product improvement". .

If you do these two things, your canopy will look more fantastic than what it is looking now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 12:04   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Dhanush - thanks for appreciating. It has to fit like a glove, I have put my heart and soul into making it exactly as I always wanted it.
No wonder that its the best canopy from Mahindra, IMO!
Quote:
At least now, (I hope) "somebody" will realize that I have given them spare parts business also.
Lot of people in my place are looking for the Canopy, and the 'hard top' in the front. But, the showroom price of 17,000 bucks (excluding the frame) makes them turn back!

Quote:
Now please do the following to still improve the canopy fitment. I could not do it in production for reasons now very well known to all of you:
Thanks for the valuable suggestion Sir. Will do, and try to make it more fantastic than it looks now!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Correction, more than the 'J' , the tire seating section width on the wheel rim is what actually matters. J refers to a type of wheel rim section profile.

Army rims are 5.5 F
Oh.. OK. So, you mean, for fitting wider tyres one has to go for that extra 'F'? and not 'J'? btw, what 'J' are army rims?

Last edited by dhanushs : 21st November 2012 at 12:06.
Old 21st November 2012, 13:21   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No wonder that its the best canopy from Mahindra, IMO! The showroom price of 17,000 bucks makes them turn back! For fitting wider tyres one has to go for that extra 'F'? and not 'J'? btw, what 'J' are army rims?
Dear Dhanush - the canopy had to be the best, nothing else works to my way of thinking. I know the next steps also. I had arranged for a lightish maroon canopy with black interior surface for the black Thar. This would have made the vehicle really stand out / make it look as close to Wrangler as possible, at least in color combination. The raw material was imported also, it may still be lying with the vendor in Pune, just two kms away from where I work! I had told him to make a "super-canopy" for me out of it for "Real Thar" but we all know the reality. It is like "you get to choose which wall you want to break your head against". Nothing, repeat, nothing makes even an iota of difference to these people. I don't want to start again, sorry! .

Each wheel rim has its specification stamped on it. J profile is preferred to F profile. J is universally used, tire will sit on J better. Don't change the front axle, please read my responses in Barani's vehicle thread. NGCS and C section chassis vehicles are two completely different animals.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 30th November 2012, 11:56   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Got myself one of these... Couldn't just resist!

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-148295_10151325544801963_881105978_n.jpg

Now.. Like Samurai said: Where do I fit it??!!!...

Suggestions appreciated!
Old 30th November 2012, 14:07   #114
BHPian

Dhanush, how do you fix the softtop in the back also? The previous set of photos, where there is only soft top in the front, there is no parts to fix the softtop in the back portion.

Do you have any photos just before installing the new soft top?

Hope you got what I am looking for.
Old 30th November 2012, 15:16   #115
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1020287

Suggestions appreciated!
Hi Dhanush,

I think the best place is on the top of bonnet with some mods in bonnet hinges. I saw some one's jeep with that setup and it looks nice.

Sadiq
Old 1st December 2012, 08:52   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunV View Post
Dhanush, how do you fix the softtop in the back also? The previous set of photos, where there is only soft top in the front, there is no parts to fix the softtop in the back portion.

Do you have any photos just before installing the new soft top?

Hope you got what I am looking for.
Arun, we have to install the frame, before fixing the softtop. No photos prior to the installation, but, its a pretty straight forward one. Which is used by Jeeps for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
I think the best place is on the top of bonnet with some mods in bonnet hinges. I saw some one's jeep with that setup and it looks nice.
Hi Sadiq, thanks for the suggestion. Will sleep over it.

I was thinking of somewhere in the back, near the tailgate.. Lets see...
Old 1st December 2012, 15:51   #117
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 1020287

Suggestions appreciated!
Sir,
Did you get the mounting plate along with the Jack. It is usually available separately.
The bracket is usually on the rear left on the bumper. The jack is mounted on the Bracket.
Old 1st December 2012, 19:24   #118
BHPian

You can try this too
My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-jeep1.jpg
Old 2nd December 2012, 13:45   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

So, I had this itch of having some music in my Jeep, but, considering it a soft-top and the components might be exposed to very harsh climate, the plan was postponed for almost a year now..

But, then, there was this Creative Insipire 5.1 lying around which I barely used these days. With all those wires it was also pretty messy to have it around the room. So, decided to put it to good use..

I have not given the installation much thought and it was all over in a couple of hours. Please suggest if I need any changes..

Pros:
  • Purely VFM!
  • Awesome sound @ under 5 k, even if the equipment is brand new!
  • It saves space at your home.
  • Super fast installation.
  • If you route the wires properly, its pretty neat and not fuzzy.
  • Can be removed in 20 mins, if you are going to do some crazy stuff which covers the insides too in slush.
Cons:
  • I have no idea about the reliability.
  • No idea if it can take the jerks.
  • No idea if it can take the alternator of the Jeep

Last edited by dhanushs : 2nd December 2012 at 14:06.
Old 2nd December 2012, 22:30   #120
BHPian

Hi dhanush. Just what I had in mind too. Was think about an alternator set up for the 2.1 Harmon which I have, to use with aux cable and use it outdoors when I travel out as well. Will definitely keep an eye on your developments.

Most Viewed