Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2013, 07:00   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD

Bummer!! Double trouble for anyone. I checked with my mech too, main shaft bearing oil seal means full disassembly of the 'peejo' :(
Old 26th March 2013, 08:44   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post

- I've been having this slight oil leak from the crank shaft main bearing. However, nowadays the leak is increased! . The Jeep needs a liter of oil, say every 150-200 kilometers! My mechanic says it cant be sorted out by just removing the gearbox, and accessing the bearing from that side. He says 'pejuots' have to be dismantled completely to set this leak right.. Is that the case???!!!!... I'll be damned, as after I had changed the pulleys of the water pump, I have absolutely NO overheating. Also my engine has NO bad smoke, NO bad sound, has awesome mileage, has awesome power, and its not drinking oil (evaluated from exhaust). Also, its an UN-opened engine. Even if I open up the engine, I dont have the guarantee of getting it rebuilt properly. This is as per the mech, and the numerous experiences (some even in the forum).

So, is there any way that I can sort out the leak from the crank shaft main bearing?!!
First ; You need to re assess the crank seal leak by parking it on the dry ground or placing a dry tray beneath the sump & running the engine for at-least 15 minutes at mid speed . Have you done this ?

Also you cant make out oil consumption by exhaust color only -- it can deceive .

Please provide following info .

1) whats the oil pressure in hot ( 80 ) & cold ( just after first start ) at Idling speed & at mid speed ( approx )

2) Is this xd3p ??

Sudarshan

P. S. about unopened engine ; you have bought this second hand isnt it ?
How old is this Jeep ?

Edit : Santosh Sir Not exactly , I have fixed it on my Jeep xdp 4.90 by removing the bearing cap & fitting a new rope ( half only ) .

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th March 2013 at 08:47.
Old 26th March 2013, 09:43   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
First ; You need to re assess the crank seal leak by parking it on the dry ground or placing a dry tray beneath the sump & running the engine for at-least 15 minutes at mid speed . Have you done this ?
Umm.. NO. Sorry Sudarshan Ji, but, I dont understand. You mean, the magnitude of the leak?
Quote:
1) whats the oil pressure in hot ( 80 ) & cold ( just after first start ) at Idling speed & at mid speed ( approx )
Oil Pressure when engine hot and idling : Slightly less than 2.
Oil pressure when engine hot and mid speed : 4
Oil pressure when cold and idling : 4
Oil pressure when cold and mid speed : Around 5
Quote:
2) Is this xd3p ??
Yep!
Quote:
P. S. about unopened engine ; you have bought this second hand isnt it ?
Yes, bought it second hand. The previous owner has had it for a long time and hasn't opened the engine. Also, looking at the engine, my mech says the same.
Quote:
How old is this Jeep ?
Sweet 16 completed, 17 going on.
Quote:
Edit : Santosh Sir Not exactly , I have fixed it on my Jeep xdp 4.90 by removing the bearing cap & fitting a new rope ( half only )
Yes Sir, half the rope, which is below the crank can be accessed by removing the crank case. I might be going in for this at first and try my luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Bummer!! Double trouble for anyone. I checked with my mech too, main shaft bearing oil seal means full disassembly of the 'peejo' :(
hmm.. well, a very experienced person has shared that the leak can be fixed by removing the GB, for XD3P. Maybe, XDP 4.9 needs the whole engine dismantled. Lets see, in a week, I will be removing the GB to fix this thingy.

Last edited by dhanushs : 26th March 2013 at 09:55.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:08   #154
BANNED

This is going to be a lot of Sub Quoting business , hmnn lets see
Quote:
Umm.. NO. Sorry Sudarshan Ji, but, I dont understand. You mean, the magnitude of the leak?
Yes Sir you are right , ascertain before blaming the seal for oil consumption

Quote:
Oil Pressure when engine hot and idling : Slightly less than 2
Read B A D ; either wrong oil ( less chances ) or overall poor mechanical condition of the engine , Unless faulty oil pump ( Unlikely in your case )

Quote:
Oil pressure when engine hot and mid speed : 4
Oil pressure when cold and idling : 4
Oil pressure when cold and mid speed : Around 5
Thats how it has survived

Quote:
Yep!
Yes, bought it second hand. The previous owner has had it for a long time and hasn't opened the engine. Also, looking at the engine, my mech says the same.
Sweet 16 completed, 17 going on.
OK , calculate min running per year for 15 years . Will you still say it was/is unopened ? even if it is the life cycle seems to be ending , Poor old lady

Quote:
Yes Sir, half the rope, which is below the crank can be accessed by removing the crank case. I might be going in for this at first and try my luck.

hmm.. well, a very experienced person has shared that the leak can be fixed by removing the GB, for XD3P. Maybe, XDP 4.9 needs the whole engine dismantled. Lets see, in a week, I will be removing the GB to fix this thingy.
IMHO & AFAIK -- the short cut ; removing sump & removing the main bearing cap will let you change half the rope , it will solve the problem 80 % . This is what I have tried with My 4.90 . I dont see a need to remove bell housing ( prima faci )
Hope this works with xd3p also ; but let me check with my Guru if it can be done like this for sure .

Full seal can only be replaced by taking the crank OUT . again IMHO

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 26th March 2013 at 13:10.
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:28   #155
Distinguished - BHPian

In the meanwhile, ordered some random stuff from China, from the site dx.com, which Santosh suggested.

There are loads of other stuff there, worth a look.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-untitled.png
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2013, 20:27   #156
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been planning an exhaust extension since a long time.

Today, when the hose from the Radiator to the water-pump was leaking, and I went shopping for the same, I found this hose, which is a perfect fit in the exhaust pipe and has a 90 degree turn. I bought two of these, and a feet long PVC pipe . Now my dream of exhaust extension is made possible with just ~250 bucks.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2628.jpg
Old 9th April 2013, 21:28   #157
BANNED

Quote:
I've been planning an exhaust extension since a long time.

Today, when the hose from the Radiator to the water-pump was leaking, and I went shopping for the same, I found this hose, which is a perfect fit in the exhaust pipe and has a 90 degree turn. I bought two of these, and a feet long PVC pipe . Now my dream of exhaust extension is made possible with just ~250 bucks.

Attachment 1071555
Its Ok up to using rubber part on exhaust tip ( I reserve my opinion here ) , but are you sure about the PVC thing .
It could get soften with the gas temperature ,may get collapsed in half melted position & choke the Exhaust ?? & a few moments after a loud bang ? I am expecting it .

Sudarshan

Last edited by Sudarshan : 9th April 2013 at 21:47.
Old 9th April 2013, 21:43   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its Ok up to using rubber part on exhaust tip ( I reserve my opinion here ) , but are you sure about the PVC thing .
It could get soften with the gas temperature ,may get collapse in half melted position & choke the Exhaust ?? & a few moments after a loud bang ? I am expecting it .

Sudarshan
Haha... That is what I could get my hands on at home, and could cut with an hacksaw blade.

It hasn't happened till now Sudarshan ji. . What is typical exhaust gas temperatures? I know that these pipes can withstand very hot water from geyser flowing through them.

However, I will be replacing these with a metal pipe. And, yes, these will be used only in OTR's.
Old 9th April 2013, 21:53   #159
BANNED

Quote:
. What is typical exhaust gas temperatures? I know that these pipes can withstand very hot water from geyser flowing through them.
Ok seriously , what I know is not specific . I mean no figures . But I have seen guys binding broken exhaust pipes with ropes / strings ,only to be found burned later .

Exhaust gasses can be very hot . Let me check , Now I have a good use of the probe type thermometer I had bought . will come up with something soon . ( interesting topic indeed )

Sudarshan
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:56   #160
Distinguished - BHPian

So, I've found a temporary fix for my oil leaking issue.

I started using 20W 40 oil.

I hope this fix lasts long!
Old 23rd April 2013, 19:15   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the meanwhile, ordered some random stuff from China, from the site dx.com, which Santosh suggested.
Got delivery of the stuff that I ordered.

Will be ordering some more stuff.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2704.jpg
Old 24th April 2013, 12:56   #162
Senior - BHPian

hey whats that engine switch stuff, can u post a opened-up pic? how much did it cost?
Old 24th April 2013, 13:23   #163
BANNED

Quote:
So, I've found a temporary fix for my oil leaking issue.

I started using 20W 40 oil.

I hope this fix lasts long!
OK what was the logical reason for

# Using this 20/40 now

# & Not using it before & preferring a lesser grade of oil ?

I mean how could you use thinner oil for the rig ? You live in a cooler area ?? Naa .

Sudarshan
Old 24th April 2013, 15:35   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
hey whats that engine switch stuff, can u post a opened-up pic? how much did it cost?
Here you go!

Cost me ~10 USD.

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2713.jpg

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2712.jpg

Here's the hand held tyre pressure guage. Pretty simple one. Now, I can have consistent tyre pressures across all tyres, and while reducing air pressure, I can know when its not too much!

My Jeep Story Continues! Now, the MM540XD-img_2716.jpg

Quote:
OK what was the logical reason for

# Using this 20/40 now

# & Not using it before & preferring a lesser grade of oil ?

I mean how could you use thinner oil for the rig ? You live in a cooler area ?? Naa .
Sudarshan Ji, No specific reason.. Just that, I was using 15W 40 castrol magnatec semi synthetic oil as it was highly recommended by a friend. However, decided to try a thicker oil, and it worked!
Old 25th April 2013, 14:07   #165
BANNED

Quote:

. What is typical exhaust gas temperatures? I know that these pipes can withstand very hot water from geyser flowing through them.

Quote:
== But I have seen guys binding broken exhaust pipes with ropes / strings ,only to be found burned later .

Exhaust gasses can be very hot . Let me check , Now I have a good use of the probe type thermometer I had bought . will come up with something soon . ( interesting topic indeed )

Done , At Noon after a drive the engine at 1800 rpm, its temperature was 80+ degrees centigrade .

#Exhaust gas temperature measured at the end of the exhaust pipe was 130 Deg /C at that RPM . This may go up in the actual OTR scenes operation in a hot day .

I have a PVC pipe with me will check if it melts if directly fitted to the tail pipe .

For exhaust snorkel if a flange is made to bolt two pipes together, will be a good thing . ( remember seeing some pics )

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks