Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:06   #16
BHPian

Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

If you're going to keep those interiors, might I please be allowed to christen that ride Electric Boogaloo?

I think I am going to be quite glued to this thread as days go by. My experiences from a past life show me you're on the right track by being nice to the Missus, I mean it's a fair trade-off in my book, she gets red soled Louboutins and you get a blue interior!

Hope it all works out and we're all entertained in the process.
Old 1st September 2012, 20:09   #17
Senior - BHPian

Firstly Chanderjeet, have you picked this Jeep up. If you have, then Congrats and welcome to the club of Jeepers and progressive mechanics.

BEhrambhai and other Gurus have pinpointed the problems seen in this jeep. Dont loose heart, what you get from Mayapuri wont be too different. At least his looks decent (if ull excuse this as an exaggeration pointed towards the interiors of this vehicle)

Ill say if you do decide on any jeep, this one or that one, (unless it is a well maintained cared for by an enthusiast) the stuff you will have to get done for sure is mentioned below. Others please add to the list below as i may have forgotton certain important points;

1) Leaf spring and suspension work:
2) Engine related work: Can range from Minor (changing of valve cover gasket to Major...overhauling)
3) Pump Caliberation and setting and injector cleaning or even changing
4) Brake work: Brake pads, drums etc
5) Clutch work: Almost certainly a non OE, sub standard clutch will be installed, change to OE asao
6) Electrical work
7) Gear work: Ranging from changing of the counter gear or overhauling the entire GB and TC
8) Tyre change
9) ...Add on......

Now dont get disheartened at the above listing, it is like an initiation and smile, coz the parts are easily and cheaply available. Decide on what you want to do with the Jeep and make it fit for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post

Interiors - upholstery is aftermarket nonsense / electricals are hanging all over the place needs complete removal, correction and refitment. Superstructure needs correction, finally Thar CRDe canopy must be fitted.
Best of luck.
Best regards,
Behram Dhabhar
Behrambhai, but the OE interiors are more nonsensical na?

The problem with this interior is that the rexine colour is hideous. Just change that because these look comfortable seats to be in.
Old 6th September 2012, 06:16   #18
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Not yet v-16 paaji. Hoping to do it this weekend.

The blue goes. Because I cannot bear the neighbour hood dogs howling at night thinking it's a dead nilgai :s
Old 8th September 2012, 21:53   #19

What all documents is one to get when buying a used car?
Old 9th September 2012, 10:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
What all documents is one to get when buying a used car?
Hi Chanderjeet ,

these might help you

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-india.html

Good Luck.
Old 9th September 2012, 21:35   #21

Got it. It drives like an ill tractor but is not as comfortable
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_1363.jpg  

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 9th September 2012 at 21:37.
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 21:51   #22
BHPian

Congratulations. Bleed Blue
Old 9th September 2012, 23:44   #23

My partner in crime and I went to the sellers home around 3pm. They opened the door and looked suspiciously at us. A few calls later to the seller we were allowed to squat in a corner of their home. A couple of juices were thrown at us which we shamelessly drank and gave that puppy look to our host for more. They looked away. Soon the money talk started. It was my time. I had brought him all the change I could muster. Poor guy kept counting for long and then gave up. Victory at last. Anyways, after a long bout of useless conversation and no juice I decided we were better off buying our own juice after the deal was done. The following chimp-minded observations were made today :

- The jeep starts up fine after 1 or 2 heater beeps.
- The wheels / tires are in need of immediate replacements. Suggestions?
- The blue insides are very bad. Note to self : Put warning wear eye-protection at all times.
- The horn does not work.
- The lights work.
- The wipers work.
- Apple juice is better than cranberry.
- The water fissh-fissh works. You know the thing in front of the wind-shield.
- A/C does not work because there is none.
- All four gauges seems to work.
- There is a lot of play in the gear shaft. I mean it feels as if a old man's loosen teeth.
- There's a ton on things I am missing but I am high on juice so do ask me for anything that you think will need my immediate attention.

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 9th September 2012 at 23:46.
Chanderjeet is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 09:08   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good observations ^ , but you didnt tell us how is the JEEP

It means No more car talk here, talk about the real JeeP..! Glad to help out issues...
Old 10th September 2012, 09:27   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chanderjeet - congratulations and welcome to the club. First things first. Don't spend a single paisa till all the documentation is done and you have the vehicle in your name. Then only, take the vehicle to a decent service station (where they wash cars properly, not necessarily the swanky ones) and give the vehicle a thorough wash. Buy 2 liters of diesel, spray diesel on the underschassis (don't worry, nothing will happen), and then wash off with high pressure water. The whole thing will take around 5 hours if done properly. Please wear old clothes and go because your clothes will be ruined in one day. If you really go below the vehicle and do the diesel cleaning yourself, you will need a sachet of Surf to take a bath after you come home, normal soap will not work. After the washing is complete, change engine, transmission, transfer case and axle oils. Buy oil from HP petrol pump only, there is less chance of adulteration at the petrol pump. Do not buy oil from any shop. For engine, minimum oil specification grade for XDP4.90 engine is MIL-L-2104-C but now MIL-F is also available which is superior. For transmission, transfer case, front axle and rear axle, use SAE90EP oil. EP stands for extreme pressure. Irrespective of what anybody says, (people will tell you to use "140" grade), use SAE90EP only. Change engine oil filter. Use genuine Purolator make filter cartridge only. Clean the air cleaner during wet service and add new oil in it uoto the level recommended (around 250 cc). Open the filler plug of the steering gear box and add maximum 220cc of SAE140 oil in it if required. Steering gear does not have drain plug. I know why play is there in the gear shift lever. There is one spring in the control housing which will be missing or slipped off. Don't touch it now. First drive the vehicle for around 500 kms and let me have your comments. In the meanwhile, please procure 4 original leaf springs as you need to change them. Don't spend money unnecessarily, do only what gives you value.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th September 2012, 12:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Good observations ^ , but you didnt tell us how is the JEEP

It means No more car talk here, talk about the real JeeP..! Glad to help out issues...
. OK. I'll try to do that next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Chanderjeet - congratulations and welcome to the club. First things first. Don't spend a single paisa till all the documentation is done and you have the vehicle in your name. Then only, take the vehicle to a decent service station (where they wash cars properly, not necessarily the swanky ones) and give the vehicle a thorough wash. Buy 2 liters of diesel, spray diesel on the underschassis (don't worry, nothing will happen), and then wash off with high pressure water. The whole thing will take around 5 hours if done properly. Please wear old clothes and go because your clothes will be ruined in one day. If you really go below the vehicle and do the diesel cleaning yourself, you will need a sachet of Surf to take a bath after you come home, normal soap will not work. After the washing is complete, change engine, transmission, transfer case and axle oils. Buy oil from HP petrol pump only, there is less chance of adulteration at the petrol pump. Do not buy oil from any shop. For engine, minimum oil specification grade for XDP4.90 engine is MIL-L-2104-C but now MIL-F is also available which is superior. For transmission, transfer case, front axle and rear axle, use SAE90EP oil. EP stands for extreme pressure. Irrespective of what anybody says, (people will tell you to use "140" grade), use SAE90EP only. Change engine oil filter. Use genuine Purolator make filter cartridge only. Clean the air cleaner during wet service and add new oil in it uoto the level recommended (around 250 cc). Open the filler plug of the steering gear box and add maximum 220cc of SAE140 oil in it if required. Steering gear does not have drain plug. I know why play is there in the gear shift lever. There is one spring in the control housing which will be missing or slipped off. Don't touch it
now. First drive the vehicle for around 500 kms and let me have your comments. In the meanwhile, please procure 4 original leaf springs as you need to change them. Don't spend money unnecessarily, do only what gives you value.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

I wished I lived near you. I would take a printout of this and start working it out after of course when the Jeep is in my name.

Thanks
Chanderjeet
Old 10th September 2012, 13:20   #27
BHPian

Hi,

Please also check if the fitness is valid , jeep i guess from the number is more than 15 years old , and would need a renewal of the registration certificate , before a ownership transfer. This a pretty long winded procedure in Delhi and needs 2 photographs of the registered owner and various other forms to be filled up , and most importantly you need too be sure of the Jeep can pass the fitness test with regards to body/electrical s/engine parameters .
Old 10th September 2012, 13:39   #28
BHPian

MIL-F oil.

Noted. The old Willys just woke up.
G_AmbyMad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2012, 07:33   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Hi,

Please also check if the fitness is valid , jeep i guess from the number is more than 15 years old , and would need a renewal of the registration certificate , before a ownership transfer. This a pretty long winded procedure in Delhi and needs 2 photographs of the registered owner and various other forms to be filled up , and most importantly you need too be sure of the Jeep can pass the fitness test with regards to body/electrical s/engine parameters .
So, what I have is a RC that says Reg valid upto 22/12/2016. I spoke to a friend and he said that because this jeep has a newer credit card type RC, you don't need a FC. Is that correct?
I need some help from the Delhi guys to help me procure the leaf springs. I have absolutely no idea where I start searching for these and how much do they cost. I obviously don't want to get fleeced.

Also, I will be driving it to work today. Hopefully all goes well

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 14th September 2012 at 07:42.
Old 14th September 2012, 23:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Also, I will be driving it to work today. Hopefully all goes well
So, did you drive the jeep to work today? Congrats on the new buy and thoroughly enjoyed reading your thread Though modified a bit here and there, I feel you have got yourself a fine specimen which will serve you great in the long run. Do keep updating your experiences here !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks