Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 12:00   #76
BHPian

Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Hello Chanderjeet,

Hows the jeep doing, seems to me every jeep rebuild is like a thriller, lot of twists and turns and a definite course on progressive mechanical learning for people like us.
Well, it is quite difficult to say NO when getting work done from renowned (much appreciated) people who are known for their quality of work, these people are usually totally passionate and upbeat about taking up these jobs and want to get things done properly.
This may not always be very nice on our pockets, what I did was to explain to the gentleman that I would love to change every single part to make it look and perform at its best but my financial tree has very few branches to shed the moolah required, hence lets be realistic and try to aim for winning the bigger battles (mechanically fit) without changing too many parts.
This conversation helped me and now we are working together to achieve a fit vehicle without endangering my finances a lot.

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2012, 14:55   #77
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
Well, it is quite difficult to say NO when getting work done from renowned (much appreciated) people who are known for their quality of work, these people are usually totally passionate and upbeat about taking up these jobs and want to get things done properly.
Cheers!
Yes. Well said.

One question for everyone: A guy at work recently got his rim and tires exchanged at Mayapuri for a set of Alloy rims and tires. I just wanted to know what does one check for when buying used alloys.
Old 26th October 2012, 17:14   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chanderjeet - don't even think of doing something like this, you will repent. I have been reading your thread, no time to reply due to work exigencies, you need to be guided in totality or you will continue to lose money.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 26th October 2012, 20:54   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Chanderjeet - don't even think of doing something like this, you will repent. I have been reading your thread, no time to reply due to work exigencies, you need to be guided in totality or you will continue to lose money.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Do you think, NEW alloys will be ok?
Old 26th October 2012, 22:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
..One question for everyone: A guy at work recently got his rim and tires exchanged at Mayapuri for a set of Alloy rims and tires. I just wanted to know what does one check for when buying used alloys.
Risky proposition i would say unless you have an expert eye. Even if one of the pieces is found to be defective later on, you will be in trouble because they usually sell only as a set. Even i also had this kind of thought in the initial days and finally decided to go with brand new gypsy rims. Though not that 'hot' on looks but at least total peace of mind. After all the wheels and tyres are the sole contact points of your vehicle with ground
EDIT: New alloys are anyday better, but again not from the surroundings of Mayapuri. Look at the Swastikfabs site, the alloys look really good.

Last edited by Kandisa : 26th October 2012 at 22:10. Reason: Addition
Old 26th October 2012, 23:06   #81

I saw those the other day. I was wondering to ask about the tires you had on there. I have Gypsy rims so you think I should just buy new tires?
Old 27th October 2012, 01:19   #82
BHPian

Quote:
I saw those the other day. I was wondering to ask about the tires you had on there. I have Gypsy rims so you think I should just buy new tires?
Slow down, my friend. I have been in a situation similar to yours (wound up with a blown engine and new block after getting everything sorted out) and was tempted to get everything done and sorted out in one go. The costs incurred in getting these old stalwarts fixed can go easily out of hand if you don't prioritize, especially when your basic mechanicals have not yet been sorted out.

Get the engine, transmission, other mechanical bits and electrical parts bullet proof first. If you don't get them fully sorted out, the looks won't matter one bit, especially as a daily drive.

You can easily burn more than what you paid for the base vehicle, or even double, if you're not careful. The advice often given on T-BHP - to do the work stage-by-stage and see what works - is invaluable. For people like you and me with little experience in these things, pre-ownership expectations and the actual ownership experience can wind up being entirely different things.

Best part is that you have the offer of Mr. Berham to help you on this. It does not get better than that. Good luck and I hope the JEEP gets going without any more trouble.
Old 27th October 2012, 09:58   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Risky proposition i would say unless you have an expert eye. Even if one of the pieces is found to be defective later on, you will be in trouble because they usually sell only as a set. Even i also had this kind of thought in the initial days and finally decided to go with brand new gypsy rims. Though not that 'hot' on looks but at least total peace of mind. After all the wheels and tyres are the sole contact points of your vehicle with ground. New alloys are anyday better, but again not from the surroundings of Mayapuri. Look at the Swastikfabs site, the alloys look really good.
Dear Chanderjeet - please refer Kandisa's quote above. I totally concur with his comments. Gypsy wheel rim is 5.5J profile with bead suitable for tubeless tire with 139.7 mm (5.5 inches) pitch circle diameter with +10mm inset instead of +12mm inset of the MM540 wheel rims so your wheel track will increase by 4 mm which is well within the eccentricity that the wheel bearing can take and also very well within the scrub radius envelope. I know that all this may sound mumbo-jumbo to you but the whole thing says that gypsy wheel rim suits MM540 application. You already have Gypsy wheel rims, so why do you want to change? In order to reinforce my comment, I request you to ask yourself - do you have any idea what is the material specification to be used in an alloy wheel? Do you know what is the cross section of the wheel rim to mounting fastener interface? Do you know what is the resultant axial force holding the wheel rim to the hub due to this cross section? Arre baba, see the aftermarket alloy wheels of passenger cars, 4 hole mounting wheels have 8 holes in them, made suitable for different pitch circle diameters like 100 mm / 114.3 mm (4.5 inches), what can be sillier than this? Please, really see, there is almost no material between those 8 holes. I shudder to think how people can even think of paying good money, buy nonsense and also risk their own safety!

I am sure that at least everybody knows what happens when such an "aftermarket uncontrolled product" comes off a running vehicle. Even if it stays on, nobody knows how it will affect driving dynamics. I have read umpteen posts on TeamBHP saying that "my car started misbehaving after I fitted alloy wheels" blah blah. What did you expect, the car would actually behave?

The sting in the tail is - I have actually found some of them even weighing more than production wheels. .

On top of everything else, Mayapuri? Just forget it, please!

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 14:10   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely. Even Adi ('AVR') has the same combo and its been running without issues. Though i am not too sure about the present status of the availability of Bighorns because of 'imposed' ban on non-ISI mark tyres.

Quote:
...please refer Kandisa's quote above. I totally concur with his comments. ...
Even i was not aware about so much of 'mumbo-jumbo', but just went ahead by the suggestion given by 'renegade' and only knew this much that the PCD and bolt pattern of gypsy rims match with jeep ! And with reference to the materials for alloy wheels, well i spent one whole day reading various associated stuffs and found that the 'theoretically' supremely reliable kind of alloys will cost so much that i better continue with the steel rims forever!!
Old 27th October 2012, 14:37   #85

Quote:
[b][u]Do you have any idea what is the material specification to be used in an alloy wheel? Do you know what is the cross section of the wheel rim to mounting fastener interface? Do you know what is the resultant axial force holding the wheel rim to the hub due to this cross section?

I used to know that but then the dog ate my homework
So I get it. I guess all I need a thwack on the head to get back on track. My punjabi blood boils to see no alloys. But then, you probably complex auto-mechanical equations for breakfast so I must and do agree to the fullest.

And Kandisa has already shown me that I can get good tires fitted on gypsy rims.

Thank you taking time out to school me today gentlemen. It was very enlightening to be enlightened by the enlightened likes of yourselves.

Mariska Hargitay

Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 15:04   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Chanderjeet;2945209]I used to know that but then the dog ate my homework! My punjabi blood boils to see no alloys. And Kandisa has already shown me that I can get good tires fitted on gypsy rims. It was very enlightening to be enlightened by the enlightened likes of yourselves. [quote]

Dear Chanderjeet - HaHaHa, the dog will get acidity, eating acidic things like that! I understand Punjabi blood. Every guy must have alloy wheels on his car broader than on his neighbour's car and to hell with everything rational. I have actually experienced this in Chandigarh. The only "good tire" in my humble opinion is either the Bridgestone P215/75R15 or the P235/75R15, both tubeless. Change tires last, after other things are done, remember that you have to get the leaf springs in order. That reminds me to make out a long post for you to (hopefully) follow.

I am enlightened by your enlightened comments and would humbly take an enlightened bow! .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2012, 15:30   #87

Oh you're in trouble now. How dare you call us Rational. :P

I am in off to get the Jeep. Got a call from a very agitated fellow at workshop. I guess they have run out of breath trying to put this one together.

I look so happy.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-1.jpg  

Old 28th October 2012, 17:39   #88

The jeep is back and it ran great. I will post in detail later but for now check the bill attached and show some charity.... I accept paypal, cash and cheques.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-p1001.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-p2001.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-p3001.jpg  

Chanderjeet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 12:51   #89
AVR
BHPian

Hi Chanderjeet,

Have had an entertaining time reading your posts. While the post with the bill might have been a bit of a dampener, the journey of owning a Jeep will surely be worth many more bills that you'll have in the future . I bought one in March-2010 and over time have been investing (not spending) in it ever since. At the end of the day, it always feels worth it and am sure you know that too!

If I were you, I'd use the Jeep for a few weeks/months before I think about investing in alloys. Personally, I have 31-inch Bighorns on the Gypsy rims and am very happy with that. Ended up tweaking the steering turn so that they don't foul with the front-leaf springs. Best part about steel rims is that they can handle abuse, can be hammered back into shape, aren't jutting out to the extent that axles may suffer and if you paint them matte black they'll look great too! You should probably get MTs if you plan to go offroad much or stick to a good AT tyre.

About the paypal thing, last time I checked all my money was already going into my Jeep so apologies!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 29th October 2012, 13:09   #90
BHPian

Reminds me of something that was posted on the forum in one of the threads -

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Cheers

KD
kd7202 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com