Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2012, 07:05   #31
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

I work as a night watchman at a MNC in Gurgaon. So on the last beautiful rainy evening when people everywhere from Delhi to Durham and Bangalore to Brussels were enjoying chai and pakore, I was getting ready to fulfill my corporate duties. Dressed in my best clothes and my fancy new LED watch (which my wife aptly calls the "attrocious" collection but poor thing doesn't understand High Fashion), I was ready to drive my Jeep to the Building of Boredom. After ripping the jeep through the streets of New Delhi at breakneck speed of 1000 trillion kms an hour I made it to work in little over 90 mins. Not bad because I got stuck in traffic for half of that time. The good thing was that the jeep never gave up. It drove sheepishly in traffic and like a wild ape everywhere else. It didn't break down, no pedestrian casualties, no harried traffic cops but a lot of overtaken cars and a delightful sight of 80 on speedo (with wind behind me and gravity pulling me down the bridge). I am happy. Infact I am absolutely stoked so are my friends. They all test rode it and loved it. I even offered to demonstrate the 4wd by climbing our bosses sedan but people thought that was Not-such-a-good-idea. I wonder why. Some loved it, some just "liked it" but some ofcourse are going to go back home and ask for one from their Trouble and Strife and she is going to decline. Apart from the on-going matters of immediate attention like finding my orange chappals and eating a month old frozen chicken roll, there are few things that I would like to put in the upper priority region of my things-to-think-about-and-do list

- The steering has its own mind. Sometimes I felt it was fighting me and correcting my turnings.
- The brakes work but I feel they need to be a lot more responsive and effective.
- It doesn't accelerate well.
- It looses speed considerably fast as soon as I step off the gas.

Dhabar ji :
I have tonnes of other things that are going in my mind but like the wise man has suggested, I will wait till it gets transferred to me and then get the mechanical work done.

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 15th September 2012 at 07:08. Reason: I love Editing............ wo hoooooooo
Chanderjeet is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th September 2012, 21:14   #32

While I sit here and do nothing, I am thinking out loud :

- I really do not like the tires and the rims on my jeep. Love the Army 550 Rims. Are they straight fit on a 540? I read Dhabar ji explaining someone somewhere that they have more inertia (heavy). So please help.
Old 25th September 2012, 21:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Chanderjeet babu, are you still working as the Best Trainer in one of the BIG Companies support center. and when do i come to see the jeep, i have left the place and joined a companies who loved to get support from your Company.
Old 26th September 2012, 14:42   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
..Love the Army 550 Rims. Are they straight fit on a 540? I read Dhabar ji explaining someone somewhere that they have more inertia (heavy).....
Yes army 550 rims are straight fit on the 540. And you have the correct information, these rims are really heavy as they serve the purpose of the army vehicles. If you want to have an 'army-spec' jeep (i am not really clear about this but you hear this often in various places!) then surely go ahead with these rims along with the 'compatible' sandgrip or bullet tyres. Else can look for the lighter options.
Oh and congrats by the way for the jeep.
Old 1st October 2012, 14:13   #35

Not that anybody is watching this thread but I'll keep it updated just in case I come back here after 3 decades and get amused.

It has been more than a month when I brought the jeep back home. But due to my enagements at work, I have not been able to pursue the transfer of the jeep in my name. But that was till yesterday when I finally handed over all the papers to the "agent" who will get this done. The seller has been very helpful all throughout but the mere reason that he lives in south delhi and I in north and the jeep i registered in east has been the major reason why this could not be done till now.

I hope to get the new RC till Friday and then move towards fixing the mechanicals. Oh btw, I did do a "security upgrade" on my jeep. This one is approved by the ministry of magic and protects me from Lord Voldemort's dark forces. :P
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_1466.jpg  

Chanderjeet is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2012, 17:25   #36
BHPian

He he! I am luvving it! Congrats on the acquisition & look forward treading about your trials & tribulations or jeepulations!
Old 14th October 2012, 22:49   #37

I was finally able to elbow my way into the RTO and get a new RC in my name. After examining and interviewing a few touts, I zeroed in on the crème de la crème of them all. The guy was a smooth talker and got my work done fast and only took 10 days extra then what was initially promised. The cogs of the RTO turn slowly he said. At least they turn, I thought, unlike many in my Jeep.

Well anyways, after getting the RC, I picked up my half-braindead friend & took the Jeep to Mr. Nirankar at Classic Auto, Noida. It was fairly easy to find it once we figured out the address written down by my two year old for them, Sector 2 and Sector 5 are SAME. But we made it their and handed over the keys to Mr. Nirankar, a very nice man I must say and knows his business thoroughly. Mr. Nirankar took a ride and came back a sad depressed man. My jeep robbed him off his sunshine and he asked me questions which were deep and almost revengeful. Like, have you ever bought a Jeep? Do you know what a Jeep drives like? For most, I kept my mouth open but did not utter a word. He knew instantly that we was talking to wooden planks. He agreed to get it fixed and gave me a mile long list of broken, missing, things. But I was expecting that.

But here's the good thing, he seems to think it can be brought back to life and thats good enough. I should get it this mid-week and with any luck should have some really good photos to go along.

Cheerios.
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 00:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
I picked up my half-braindead friend & took the Jeep to Mr. Nirankar at Classic Auto, Noida. But we made it their and handed over the keys to Mr. Nirankar, a very nice man I must say and knows his business thoroughly.
Mr. Nirankar is a gem of a person and provides excellent workmanship. Unmatched and best in delhi. I was in exactly same position 4 years back when I new zilch about jeeps, marched one day to mayapuri, picked a running ex-army 550, marched to an OTR the next day and seized the engine by the end of OTR!!

I had a non finctional jeep at Gurgaon with no idea of how and where to get it fixed. Mr. Nirankar came to rescue, arranged the jeep to be towed to Noida and than patiently explained what all needed to be done in the jeep and how much it will cost.

Once done by him my jeep has run without breakdown for 4 years now, done countless OTR, driven through spiti valley and still going strong.

You are in good hands. Stop worrying about the jeep anymore, start worrying about how to foot bills. He is EXPENSIVE!! and rightly so, quality demands money.

Cheers
Vishwas
Old 15th October 2012, 07:16   #39

The bills are within my expectations. The other thing that makes my more secure is that Classic auto is an authorized Mahindra service center, something I didn't knew before. Infact, I am going to suggest any one owning a Mahindra to go there.
Old 15th October 2012, 09:32   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Chanderjeet - now that you are the official owner, welcome to the club. As you can see, the first chapter of your long story has started. Please list down everything that Mr.Nirankar has told you. I am sure it must be the correct list but I want to know so that I will guide you every step of the way.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 15th October 2012, 10:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...Well anyways, after getting the RC, I picked up my half-braindead friend & took the Jeep to Mr. Nirankar at Classic Auto, Noida....
I guess i spotted your jeep last Saturday at Classic when i went there with my jeep for a short duration. I was looking at the colour of your jeep but somehow didn't strike that its the same jeep as here!
Yes Classic is expensive but then with mechanical parts they do a quality job. I have been doing the mechanical works from him for the last couple of years, since the time i got to know about them. Your jeep will definitely be sorted out after a thorough work at Mr Nirankar's place.
P.S: Sent you a PM
Old 15th October 2012, 10:40   #42

Mr. Nirankar told me that he was not sure if any mechanical maintenance was ever done on this jeep :( Then he told me that the body line is good and that "upar se to theek hai magar andar sab kuch check karna padega"

But yesterday I got a bill of work that needs to be done. It's a long list and here goes :

KIT LINING SET,(0 8 MM)
REAR BRAKE DRUM NGCS
OIL SEAL WHEEL HUB
CHECK NUT LOCK
BRAKE DRUM FRONT NGCS MARSH
OIL SEAL FRT WHEEL HUB
OIL SEAL CARRIER END
BEARING GREASE
WHEEL CYL ASSY RH
WHEEL CYL ASSY LH
KIT CONE AND ROLLER
CYL. WHEEL BRAKE REAR
BRAKE OIL 500 ML
KIT BEARING
KIT BEARING
FRT BRAKE HOSE
BR.TUBE-HOSE*RT.TO*WH.CYL.B
MASTER CYL @ TMC BI
SHAFT-BRAKE PEDAL
BRAKE SYS OVERHAUL COMPLETE
BRAKE MASTER CYL.O/H R&R
BRAKE PEDAL O/H R&R
LEATH JOB CHARGES
KIT-CONE ROLLER & CUP KING
KIT SOCKET TIE ROD
KIT STRG KNUCKLE OIL SEAL
SHIM SET
BEARING GREASE
FRONT SUSPENSION OVERHAUL
BELL CRANK KIT
PULL PUSH ROD KIT
STEERING GEAR ASSY
ROD STAY
BOLT ADJUSTABLE-STAY ROD
SPACER-STEERING GEAR MTG.
STRG BELL CRANK R/R/OVERHAUL
BUSH FIXING REMRING
STRG GEAR ASSY R&R MM
CROSS CLUTCH TUBE ASSLY
CLUTCH LINKEGE KIT
CLUTH BALL FULKURAM TYPE
CLUTCH CABLE /LINKE R/R
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 10:45   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I guess i spotted your jeep last Saturday at Classic when i went there with my jeep for a short duration. I was looking at the colour of your jeep but somehow didn't strike that its the same jeep as here!
Yes Classic is expensive but then with mechanical parts they do a quality job. I have been doing the mechanical works from him for the last couple of years, since the time i got to know about them. Your jeep will definitely be sorted out after a thorough work at Mr Nirankar's place.
P.S: Sent you a PM
Is yours the one with the maxxis tires on Gypsy rims and that rack on the top and were you the one wearing K-La hat?

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 15th October 2012 at 10:47.
Old 15th October 2012, 11:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is yours the one with the maxxis tires on Gypsy rims and that rack on the top and were you the one wearing K-La hat?
You spotted right! BTW, though your list looks long, its good to know that it is going for a detailed mechanical makeover.
Old 15th October 2012, 14:03   #45
BHPian

Quote:
My jeep robbed him off his sunshine and he asked me questions which were deep and almost revengeful. Like, have you ever bought a Jeep? Do you know what a Jeep drives like? For most, I kept my mouth open but did not utter a word. He knew instantly that we was talking to wooden planks. He agreed to get it fixed and gave me a mile long list of broken, missing, things. But I was expecting that.
I know that look and talk only too well. Went through pretty much the same with my Gypsy, but I was quite insistent that I learn how to do these things on my own than to outsource as I tend to do all the time. Well, it did cost me quite a bit more than what I had initially accounted for (including a decimated engine and a new block somewhere along the way), but I would not have learnt the things I know now if I had not gone down this road. It is not for everyone, but if you choose this road willingly and keep an open mind (and and even more open wallet), you'll do fine in the long run.

These simple machines are a dying breed, thus constituting a motoring experience that is comparatively so primal that the joy it brings is not something that any of the new machines will ever give you. So, here's wishing you many such happy miles with the Jeep and thanks for sharing your story; it has been fun reading it so far.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks