Senior - BHPian

Re: MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !

Whats missing from a 540's BOM ^^ ?

LOLZ - so, whats next?

PS - They gave you a discount!! :-0
Old 29th October 2012, 16:10   #92
Awaiting Email Confirmation

The drive from Noida to my home in North Delhi was quite a breeze. The Jeep ran great. I was able to keep up with my wife who had ferried me to the workshop. We were like couple of maniacs hitting the deadly 50kmph speed all the time. While she almost ran over a couple of bicyclists I on the other hand was simply gliding through. The AC in my Jeep was not working so I let the window down and let the October air run amok. The Jeep had such an on-road presence that the cars behind me kept honking. They must have been wondering who the celebrity was behind the wheel. They wanted to catch a glimpse but I made sure that they stayed where they are. The honking just kept getting louder.

All in all, it was a good to see the Jeep running the way it is intended to. Slow, grumpy and a bit loud. I am happy. My father still groans at the sight of it. My wife wants to get it painted black so atleast the neighbours cant see it at night. But my biggest supporter, my 2yo daughter wants to drive it. I have a blessed happy man.

PS - I need new tires. Seriously.
PPS - Yes, they gave me a discount. Because I was a good customer. It's usually not something you expect from a authorized workshop but they gave me a discount.
PPPS - What's next is I get squared headlights, get is painted red, put on wider tires and install a winch. But don't you think that's a little too much.

Last edited by Chanderjeet : 29th October 2012 at 16:27.
Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 16:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

The red part is looking good in the profile pic!

Lights - M800's - 500Rs a pair
Red paint - 6K max
wider tyres - i dont have them, but 5*7K = 35K
winch - mayapuri - 25K max

its never too much!!
Old 29th October 2012, 17:00   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanderjeet View Post
Hello,

I've finally smart-assed my wifey into buying me a rust-bucket.
============
PS. - Calling DHABHAR.BEHRAM ji to the white courtesy phone.
PS. - This goes out as a gesture of appreciation to all our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet.
Congrats buddy for getting this gem in your garage ,would you please pm me some of the chassis blue prints of this masterpiece.

Regards
silvr
Old 29th October 2012, 22:25   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
PS - I need new tires. Seriously.
PPS - Yes, they gave me a discount. Because I was a good customer. It's usually not something you expect from a authorized workshop but they gave me a discount.
PPPS - What's next is I get squared headlights, get is painted red, put on wider tires and install a winch. But don't you think that's a little too much.
OK, so, now, that was some real dough you put into your Jeep. May the fours be with you!
  • Tyres: With Gypsy rims, go for 235/70 - R15 Maxxis Trepedors. They are cheap and MT's. Look meaty too! Or else, Yoko Geolander AT's?
Here's a Jeep running on Geolanders. Rims look good, eh?

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_0128-copy.jpg
  • Paint Job:Now, if the body is in good condition, go for a budget paint job. Here's how a 5k paint job transformed my Jeep! (Ok..Ok.. I'm just showing off!!.. )
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dscn8275-copy.jpg

PS: Do you really need square HL's?

Last edited by dhanushs : 29th October 2012 at 22:28.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 00:35   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
OK, so, now, that was some real dough you put into your Jeep. May the fours be with you!
  • Tyres: With Gypsy rims, go for 235/70 - R15 Maxxis Trepedors. They are cheap and MT's. Look meaty too! Or else, Yoko Geolander AT's?
Here's a Jeep running on Geolanders. Rims look good, eh?

Attachment 1007686
  • Paint Job:Now, if the body is in good condition, go for a budget paint job. Here's how a 5k paint job transformed my Jeep! (Ok..Ok.. I'm just showing off!!.. )
Attachment 1007687

PS: Do you really need square HL's?
just one question ,are those turn indicator lamps on mudguard (front) still working(in the black suv),if yes what's the magic behind it ??
Old 31st October 2012, 16:12   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvr View Post
just one question ,are those turn indicator lamps on mudguard (front) still working(in the black suv),if yes what's the magic behind it ??
If you look closely, you can see that my tyres foul the fenders almost every-time whist articulation. The first thing to break is the indicator. I used to change them religiously after each OTR, but, finally saw no point and gave up.

So, NO, my indicators are not working.
Old 31st October 2012, 16:45   #98
BHPian

Quote:
If you look closely, you can see that my tyres foul the fenders almost every-time whist articulation. The first thing to break is the indicator. I used to change them religiously after each OTR, but, finally saw no point and gave up.

So, NO, my indicators are not working.

ha ha ha got the magic
Old 2nd December 2012, 15:59   #99

Aloha, my friends. I've just returned from a month long "vacation"
Hope all has been well. I got the new gypsy rims installed and new geolanders. I couldn't find the bridgestones are suggested by Dhabar ji so Geolanders came as next obvious choice. Now here's the next issue. After changing to 235*75*15 the tires touch the body. What can be done. Also, I'd like to install a cig lighter. Can anyone share the schematics for DIY. I don't know where to run the wires to. I want to use the missile launch switch to turn on the cig lighter.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-jeep2.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-jeep.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-jeep3.jpg  

Chanderjeet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2012, 21:52   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Aloha, my friends. I've just returned from a month long "vacation"
Hope all has been well. I got the new gypsy rims installed and new geolanders. I couldn't find the bridgestones are suggested by Dhabar ji so Geolanders came as next obvious choice. Now here's the next issue. After changing to 235*75*15 the tires touch the body. What can be done. Also, I'd like to install a cig lighter. Can anyone share the schematics for DIY. I don't know where to run the wires to. I want to use the missile launch switch to turn on the cig lighter.
To prevent the tyres from fouling, you can get the turn stoppers adjusted. Turning radius will increase a bit but the wheels won't touch on turns.
Old 3rd December 2012, 08:34   #101
BHPian

Attachment 1021325
Quote:
Can anyone share the schematics for DIY.
Hi Chanderjeet, hope this simple drawing helps
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-diy.jpg  

Last edited by mohang_j : 3rd December 2012 at 08:39. Reason: wrong image
Old 3rd December 2012, 09:42   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now here's the next issue. After changing to 235*75*15 the tires touch the body.
Tyres touch the body on regular use? Strange.. Or do you mean leaf spring? If so, like mentioned above, adjust the stopper bolt.

Quote:
Also, I'd like to install a cig lighter. Can anyone share the schematics for DIY. I don't know where to run the wires to. I want to use the missile launch switch to turn on the cig lighter.
I'm sorry, thats not possible. This is why:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
There are eight theories regarding the absence of power outlet in the Thar:

1. The power outlet draws more current -> more strain on alternator to charge battery -> engine needs to do more work for this -> won't meet CMVR norms then.

It was there in vehicle 521 during a brief test period but due to CMVR could not be transferred to production.

2. We have all the necessary drawings and engineering diagrams ready for this. However, to get is approved is a process -> nowadays even having lunch has to become a process -> if i can't eat my lunch without filling a form, i'll be damned if i'm gonna give you a power socket.

3. It will be released in version 3 of the Thar

4. The dealer has been given the necessary drawings for the fitment -> however, in a large environment where there are innumerable variables, proper implementation of robustly designed processes is the only way to succeed, but they must not be at the cost of the customer and the product. This is an area where improvement is required, hence mentioning it. If this is implemented, quality and value proposition of the business that the dealer does will improve significantly. Accessories is just a small part of it and the marketing department thinks that the customer can live without a power socket.

However, if you want to add it, PM me and i will guide you in totality.

5. You did not mention requirement of power socket in the thread where you were asked what you wanted in the new jeep. Please read correctly.

6. As you are aware, we started designing on a shoe string budget and we just couldn't afford to incorporate the power source in our drawings -> let me explain why -> a power source comes under the technical heading titled External Output of Battery Power for Consumer Electronic Gadgets (EOBPCEG). Now for this we would need to have a separate department to formulate ideal guidelines which would be need to meet CMVR guidelines. Thus, we would have to assign a manager, a law expert, an engineer for drawing the necessary guidelines. Then get a CAD guy to do drawings, etc etc etc. Also we would need to assign then a special cafeteria with cooks, waiters and washers since nowadays getting lunch has also been a process.

7. The power outlet could be used in conjunction with a cigarette lighter to light your smokes. However, since our exhaust already leaks into the body and our perfectly engineered soft top is so good that it keeps all the exhaust smoke inside, we thought it was our moral responsibility to discourage you from smoking.

8. Reason for not having a power socket is simple, it is cost. In my opinion, it is not a compulsory feature. We can debate this point to death for nothing so spare me the agony all of you, but in the interest of simplicity also, I would not advocate having it, it serves no great purpose. In our time, we used to do all navigation without GPS and used the sun and stars for getting our bearings and ofcourse there were no mobile phones at that time. Invest in a good foot pump, will give you a good workout as well.

In summary: the 521 did the examm and akc without the need for a power outlet. it was a true thar and even beat a race spec honda civic which had a power outlet on the highway. The power outlet thus also sucks out valuable power.
But: You may stand a chance as yours is not a highly evolved and sophisticated vehicle, but a humble 540, and of course I guess as you are not going to race Honda Civics.. You might want to go by what Mohan has suggested in the post above. Just make sure an important thing to add a separate fuse in the wiring.

Last edited by dhanushs : 3rd December 2012 at 09:44.
Old 3rd December 2012, 15:25   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohang_j View Post
Attachment 1021325
Hi Chanderjeet, hope this simple drawing helps
Thanks so much. It does help.

Quote:
Tyres touch the body on regular use? Strange.. Or do you mean leaf spring? If so, like mentioned above, adjust the stopper bolt.
No not on regular use. Only while turning. I am not sure if its the body or the leaf that they rub. I will check that today. Thanks for your replies. And as for the cig lighter, it is important for me to have it since I'd be running all sorts of farkles off it. Here one I installed recently with help of my lovely assistant :
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_1722.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_1724.jpg  

MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-dsc_1727.jpg  

Chanderjeet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 15:39   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks so much. It does help.

No not on regular use. Only while turning. I am not sure if its the body or the leaf that they rub. I will check that today. Thanks for your replies. And as for the cig lighter, it is important for me to have it since I'd be running all sorts of farkles off it. Here one I installed recently with help of my lovely assistant :
A very charming assistant you have there!

Btw, i'd relocate the GPS unit to a rather inaccessible (away from the window) location keeping in mind the notorious mobile-snatchers on the prowl in Delhi.
Old 4th December 2012, 17:29   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puneet.S View Post
A very charming assistant you have there!

Btw, i'd relocate the GPS unit to a rather inaccessible (away from the window) location keeping in mind the notorious mobile-snatchers on the prowl in Delhi.
Yeah well I thought about that too. My little one keep messing with the electronics so its much more safe on this side. The unit is mounted on RAM so one cannot simply snatch it.
Attached Thumbnails
MM540 4WD - Monkey see, Monkey do !-jeep4001.jpg  

Chanderjeet is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed