Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2013, 16:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I was considering Thar DI last year, a Mahindra SA whom I know well told me not to consider it because of NGT520. Apparently, it has issues with synchronizer rings, they are getting too many complaints.
A bit surprising, may be with a particular batch of NGT520s. Yes, there were problems with synchronizers which were corrected with new rings and hubs. This was somewhere around 2006-2007 though.

The SA may have told this to you, possible, as I do not know what is going on there since last year.

These are currently the most used transmissions with M&M vehicles (although that does not necessarily imply they must be trouble free).

EDIT- Is that also the reason why you insisted on having the KMT in your new Jeep?

Spike

Last edited by SPIKE ARRESTOR : 22nd February 2013 at 16:16. Reason: see edit
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:07   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post

A bit surprising, may be with a particular batch of NGT520s. Yes, there were problems with synchronizers which were corrected with new rings and hubs. This was somewhere around 2006-2007 though.

The SA may have told this to you, possible, as I do not know what is going on there since last year.

These are currently the most used transmissions with M&M vehicles (although that does not necessarily imply they must be trouble free).

EDIT- Is that also the reason why you insisted on having the KMT in your new Jeep?

Spike
Pratheesh which synchronizer is good? The bigger one or the smaller one?

Sreejesh

Thank you pratheesh just now I came from the spareparts shop

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 22nd February 2013 at 17:08.
Old 22nd February 2013, 17:55   #93
BHPian

Quote:
When I was considering Thar DI last year, a Mahindra SA whom I know well told me not to consider it because of NGT520. Apparently, it has issues with synchronizer rings, they are getting too many complaints.
@ Samurai,

I do not own a thar, but got myself an humble cj3b which is doing its duty of ferrying me to unusual places.

On reading your quote 'Apparently, it has issues with synchronizer rings, they are getting too many complaints.' I am forced to seriously give it a thought, if Mahindra ever recall for replacement of faulty parts or something in the past unlike other players in the market? If at all they ought to or will , i wonder how it will be like for Mahindra's?
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:13   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geje View Post
Thank you Commander. Can you please share the total cost of conversion to OKBJ.
Now your Jeep has the latest upgrades, Next TURBO IC ?

Jess
Hi Geje, will let you know the details in person. A bit heavy on the wallet thou. I'm really happy with the 2003 Di and KMT gearbox but is nowhere near the word refined. Think this is one of the noisiest engine/gearbox combos that we have among our team But love the instant torque and does manage to cruise around 80-90. So cant complain much but accept the fact that you cant have the best of both ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Barani, this is a very popular get home-tip. I hope the owner has sorted out the issue and not relying on haldi for ever.

Hi Gege, If you are not planning to increase the track width, then, your stock axles will do the job. It is a cheaper alternative. You will have to source the discs and the entire set up though, will cost you ~14k.
Hi sir, radiator serviced and problem sorted. Heard that it settles where the leak is happening and blocks the water from seeping out. Geje think you should hold your existing axles if your not planning a wider track.

Quote:
Sorry for not being clear.

One of my main concerns in OTR's is the underbody taking a hit. However, hard we try, sometime or the other, we end up on the cross member like a sea-saw. Specially when we venture out on unknown territories. IMO, the KMT 90 can handle that kind of abuse much better than the NGT5xx.

There is also one more reason, of which, I'm not so clear, that most of the commercially used 4x4 vehicles in Ooty are swapping their hardly used NGT520 for a KMT90.
Sir did manage to twist my cross member during the OTR and my gearbox had moved up. I could see the gap between the gear lever shield and platform. No problem with gears but humming started to raise every day. So changed crossmember and now back to normal.

One thing that Im very tempted to rework is a rollcage like this. Source team bhp.
Attached Thumbnails
My experience of rebuilding a Jeep..-img_0779.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2013, 00:08   #95
BHPian

Quote:

@Jerrycan.
Prabhu Sir, Can you help me source a front and rear axle set up and an NGT 520 geat box with Transfer Case.

Thanks In advance
Jess
Why do you need an OKBJ ? I would suggest, you go ahead and buy Barani's front and rear axles.
Get a transfer case from Mettupalayam/Muvattupuzha, change main shaft on your KMT 90
gear box and you have a 4 x 4.
But if you are keen on Okbj and NGT 520, I'll give you the contact no of the dealer, you'll have to make your own arrangements.
I had sourced these parts on behalf of certain jeepers, TEAM Bhpian's included, but they fail to understand that these are used parts. I had to cope up with some embarrassing comments from unsatisfied jeepers.
Regards
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:17   #96
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
On reading your quote 'Apparently, it has issues with synchronizer rings, they are getting too many complaints.' I am forced to seriously give it a thought, if Mahindra ever recall for replacement of faulty parts or something in the past unlike other players in the market? If at all they ought to or will , i wonder how it will be like for Mahindra's?
This (MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse) should answer your question. They may be still making the faulty part along with the corrected part.

Quote:
Yes, wanted something that is reliable and known to all mechanics.
Old 23rd February 2013, 15:12   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My NGT520 gave me trouble from day one. Downshifting from 5 to 4, it easily slips into reverse. I want to tell you, that makes a wickedly bad noise! Up shifts from 4 to 5 a little dicey, too. All drivers have trouble shifting with this car. Shifts into reverse have become hard to do without grinding gears. I am at 74,000 now and I need a tranny rebuild on my NGT520. I am easy on tranny and clutch usually. Mahindra dealer in Pathenkot quoted me 8000 rupees to rebuild clutch and tranny both together.
Old 25th February 2013, 08:31   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Gege, If you are not planning to increase the track width, then, your stock axles will do the job. It is a cheaper alternative. You will have to source the discs and the entire set up though, will cost you ~14k.

I know a person who has the front an rear axles in stock. I will let you know.

btw, why do you need an NGT520 GB?. The shifts will be much smoother, with no Jeep music, but, IMO, nothing can beat the good 'ol KMT 90 off-road. The reliability is unmatched. Please do re-think your decision.
I am converting it into a 4 wheel drive. Hence the change from stock Axles. Will need to change both the Front and Rear axle / Axle Housings.

My use is 50 % on road ( Highway) and 50 % off road. So a 5 speed gear box is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Hi Geje, will let you know the details in person. A bit heavy on the wallet thou. I'm really happy with the 2003 Di and KMT gearbox but is nowhere near the word refined. Think this is one of the noisiest engine/gearbox combos that we have among our team But love the instant torque and does manage to cruise around 80-90. So cant complain much but accept the fact that you cant have the best of both ends.

Geje think you should hold your existing axles if your not planning a wider track.

You should have changed the Leaf sets also. They seem flimsy on the Axle housing. Looks like it will not hold on and might Buckle.
Old 25th February 2013, 21:21   #99
BHPian

Geje, from what you have posted, I feel you'll be spending close to 1 lakh. Do you think its worth the money. There's no guarantee that you will have a trouble free vehicle. Retain the kmt 90 gear box for the go time being.
Regards
Jerrycan
Jerrycan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2013, 09:14   #100
BHPian

Its going to be the KMT 90 with a T 18 Transfer Case

My Configuration

53" Front Open Knuckle Axle Housing from a MAJOR; Cost 11000.00
Fully Floating Rear axle of an NGCS Army 550 with 19 spline axles, without LSD; Cost 18000.00
Both the above will have 160 PCD hubs to accommodate 16 inch rims.
The t 18 Transfer Case is going to be T 18 Single liver u type shifting: Cost 8000

Cost of Conversion 20000.00 ( Includes Over hauling of all the parts being changed)

Friends, your inputs and views are valuable, please advice.

Regards
Geje
Old 2nd March 2013, 11:22   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Its going to be the KMT 90 with a T 18 Transfer Case

My Configuration

53" Front Open Knuckle Axle Housing from a MAJOR; Cost 11000.00
Fully Floating Rear axle of an NGCS Army 550 with 19 spline axles, without LSD; Cost 18000.00
Both the above will have 160 PCD hubs to accommodate 16 inch rims.
The t 18 Transfer Case is going to be T 18 Single liver u type shifting: Cost 8000

Cost of Conversion 20000.00 ( Includes Over hauling of all the parts being changed)

Friends, your inputs and views are valuable, please advice.

Regards
Geje
is there any 53" OKBJ available ? Major OKBJ is 51"
Why you need a 53" FFRA ? then your front is 51"& rear is 53" ? what is the extra load / tough job you are doing with the rear FFRA? Same time you can get a 51" army rear axle with LSD and bigger/stronger axle, I don't think it break in your 50% or 80% Offroad .

Major PCD is 139.7 not 160.

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 2nd March 2013 at 11:30.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 05:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
is there any 53" OKBJ available ? Major OKBJ is 51"
Why you need a 53" FFRA ? then your front is 51"& rear is 53" ? what is the extra load / tough job you are doing with the rear FFRA? Same time you can get a 51" army rear axle with LSD and bigger/stronger axle, I don't think it break in your 50% or 80% Offroad .

Major PCD is 139.7 not 160.
Sir, You are right, It is 51' OKBJ on the front and SFRA from a 550 and the pitch is 139.7. It is not about the off road, I'am worried about. During week days I plant to use this Vehicle as a load carrier for a foundry. It'll carry loads up to 1 Ton. But that will surely not break the axles, I am sure. So SFRA it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander View Post
Sir, Your jeep looks Macho with the new set of axles. Please do share the costs if you can. Please also share some pictures on the forum.
Thanks
Geje
Old 5th March 2013, 14:35   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, You are right, It is 51' OKBJ on the front and SFRA from a 550 and the pitch is 139.7. It is not about the off road, I'am worried about. During week days I plant to use this Vehicle as a load carrier for a foundry. It'll carry loads up to 1 Ton. But that will surely not break the axles, I am sure. So SFRA it is.

Geje
Geje ,

Please No more "Sir".

Your 540 is with DP engine Right ? Its good to think about an Engine swap too

Good to hear that you are understanding the needed parts for the Job.

51" OKBJ on front
51" SFRA from army 550 on rear, You get the advantage of LSD with 30 spline axle (That army 30 spline axle is big and strong)
KMT90+T18 single shifter/double liver both will do the job
Offroad -ve offset steel wheels for wider track & better look.
MT/AT (30-31" is the best) tyre which suits your Budget.

or / sell the 540 as it is.. Buy a NGCS . I personally know few from Coorg with 58" FC axles and 57"+53" axles on their 540s all are saying it good for Photography . On road it behaves like a Boat. So if you want bigger track like 57",53" MRCBT 5 speed gearbox, bigger Engine.. go for NGCS.

- Sreejesh
sreejeshmp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 09:05   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrycan View Post
Why do you need an OKBJ ? I would suggest, you go ahead and buy Barani's front and rear axles.
Sir
I dont need an OKBJ, All I need is a Disc brake on the front axle, and Barani's axle has got a Drum. The Conversion cost from Drum Brakes to Disc alone will cost close to 15 K, add another 25 K towards the Axles, the total cost is Around 40,000.00. So I opted for Stock Axles from Marshall/NGCS or even a non NGCS 550

Do the Non NGCS 550 and 540 share the same steering box assy. Please shatre the details.
Thanks
Geje
Old 6th March 2013, 09:54   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Do the Non NGCS 550 and 540 share the same steering box assy. Please shatre the details.
Thanks
Geje
The steering boxes are different.
The steering box on the 540s are worm and worm wheel type. On a non NGCS 550s it's recirculating ball type. Ngcs have bigger steering boxes also recirculating ball type.
Regards
Jerrycan
Jerrycan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks