Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 17:19   #166
BANNED

Re: MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Rajith ,

You have a Thar CRDe , Then why you bought a 540 with Isuzu Diesel rather than a stock 540/550 or the real MM550 ISZ ? I need the real reason is it the power ? or the package you got with the 540 for the price ? . But its again a messed up one right ? can you please share the maintenance cost you spend after the purchase ? still can't be used for a real Offroad trial where one can easily take their Stock jeep without any worry !! So its all about the right combination on a right vehicle.

Lets check the Thar CRDe, what makes a CRDe a true winner on Old jeeps ? I believe Its the "Engine" what will happen if you put a XD3P on a Thar CRDe ?

What is the Mess if I use SZ2600+NGT530 ? its better than using heavy engines ,GB designed for entirely different manufacture right ?

I really enjoying the Jeep thing.. It the only vehicle which makes me think,feel and experiment.

I still believe "Real Jeeps are Build not Bought" .

MM ISZ for your reference.
Attachment 1053840
Dhabar sir - Thanks. I am happy that we all put enough efforts to make the case easy to understand, as we cares.

Sreejesh,

I brought MM 1SZ 3.1Ltrs seeing its power terrain and rest of its technical features with a combination of great price.My purchase was a ready made cake where u can taste / satisfy before plunging in. It just takes you any where, only thing is you should have guts to floor the gas pedal, which i will get in, as its a newly wed wife for me.My mind tends to do extra care.

SZ2600 plus with NGT 530 is great set to be in, but u need get a right set to drive with out opening it up immediately.You need to have mounting points remade,break up gradations and an endless list. End of the day this will be more costlier than a THAR CRDe..

Last edited by Rajith : 20th February 2013 at 17:39.
Old 20th February 2013, 18:18   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Rajith They get "right royally" taken and there is no shortage of "takers"! .

Dear Sreejeshmp - if your XD3P engine cylinder head is good, please put it back and use it. Do whatever it takes to ensure that your Jeep remains with you and not in the workshop, then you will at least enjoy some portion of it. Please don't go in for engine swaps etc, it involves a lot of serious engineering design, development and validation which does not come so easily, even if you are prepared to pay handsomely for it. I see a huge shortage of people having "Product Clarity" in my area of daily work, so I know, believe you me! Final decision is of course yours only.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Dear Sir,

Right now there is no plan for an Engine swap, But If I really get a chance to get a 2600+NGT I will do it with proper systematic way only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
Dhabar sir - Thanks. I am happy that we all put enough efforts to make the case easy to understand, as we cares.

I still don't understand !!

Sreejesh,

I brought MM 1SZ 3.1Ltrs seeing its power terrain and rest of its technical features with a combination of great price.My purchase was a ready made cake where u can taste / satisfy before plunging in. It just takes you any where, only thing is you should have guts to floor the gas pedal, which i will get in, as its a newly wed wife for me.My mind tends to do extra care.

SZ2600 plus with NGT 530 is great set to be in, but u need get a right set to drive with out opening it up immediately.You need to have mounting points remade,break up gradations and an endless list. End of the day this will be more costlier than a THAR CRDe..
I still don't understand !! can you please post some pics of your Engine mount,Gearbox Mount, rear front Drive shaft pics for reference ..?

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130213_112047_998.jpg
This is The OE engine mount of the Most trusted real life work horse Jeep. Any idea Which Model jeep is this ?
Old 22nd February 2013, 20:38   #168
BHPian

First call I got today after the two days Harthal was from My Mechanic, There is a problem :- The new Synchronizer ring is not seating in the hub He said it not the correct one. I told him take that Synchronizers and Hub to the MM authorized parts dealer Focus Automobiles Calicut and I joined him there.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130222_150515_375.jpg

This was the problem The gearbox is NGT520 and the Synchronizer is also for the OE one for NGT520. The spare parts guy searched all the available synchronizers but no luck. then I went to the other shop at 2nd floor of the same building and got another set of NGT520 Synchronizer and it fit perfectly. Then we found there is two different types are available with different part number and a NGT520 + mark.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130222_151839_406.jpg
Then I understand the reason of that "+" mark from Pratheesh's post. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post3048238

So which is the latest one ? The one with bigger Synchronizer or the one with smaller ring with "+" mark ?

Last edited by sreejeshmp : 22nd February 2013 at 20:44.
Old 22nd February 2013, 23:04   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
perfectly. Then we found there is two different types are available with different part number and a NGT520 + mark.
Welcome to the world of Mahindra man. Shoddy parts management. You need to take the sample to get the correct one. You cannot order by part number.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 09:18   #170
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sreejeshmp - at least you are lucky to get the part. If you hear all the stories, you'll not stop laughing. Here's one.

ECNs (Engineering Change Notice) are released almost daily, even with the best of intentions, actual brain use and systems backup, it is physically impossible to be absolutely perfect. The guy who releases the ECN does not think it worthwhile to inform the guy who is supposed to give you the part in the field. If asked "it is there in system" is the reply. But "system" does not run your vehicle, the correct synchronizer does. .

I have come to the final conclusion that the only place to get a real original part is on the assembly line, that too after asking the operator which part is what. I am used to hearing "CNG" or "Sri lanka" or "Argentina" or some such coded language on the assembly line. Why "Sri Lanka or Argentina" must get a different part which looks the same and performs the same function is beyond comprehension. Usually it is the result of "JI" (joint inspection), some guys fly economy class to "phoren", see something there, talk to guys who cannot talk in English, come back, "meeting is held" and "drawing is released" for saying in next meeting that "drawing is released". I've been through this so I know!

You got the synchronizer ring, fit it. If it works, use it and be happy! HaHaHa. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2013, 10:42   #171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Welcome to the world of Mahindra man. Shoddy parts management. You need to take the sample to get the correct one. You cannot order by part number.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sreejeshmp - at least you are lucky to get the part. ===

====You got the synchronizer ring, fit it. If it works, use it and be happy! HaHaHa. .

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Somehow I feel lucky here , I mean there seems to be NO difference in the 'system ' of getting parts , between my 45 yr old Land Rover & the yesterday's MM product .

I feel lucky --- maintaining the LR myself is less hazard than a MM product , if things are handled like this

yes there is God in this world to take care of us , otherwise ...

Sudarshan
Old 23rd February 2013, 20:29   #172
BHPian

@sreejeshmp

The engine mount In the pic was used in the CJ-XXX series fitted with F-134 hurricane, Md-2350 and MDi-2500 engines.

chengappa.
Timson is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 14:36   #173
BHPian

A Sunday without any Function, But If you own a Jeep there are lots to do..

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130224_152138_708.jpg
Removed the old Mounting brackets from the old jeep's seats and did a water power wash.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130224_152438_322.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130224_152831_940.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130224_164119_185.jpg

Now new brackets to be fabricated for NGCS.

Mechanical work Continues ..

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130225_105216_928.jpg
Assembling the NGT520
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 16:08   #174
Senior - BHPian

If GB is still down, wire brush/scrub it down with diesel, future leaks if any would be spottable easily. I have so much muck on my AG's BA10, God alone knows what is leaking out of where. Waiting for the unfortunate event when it will be taken down to clean it up!!
Old 26th February 2013, 11:34   #175
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
=== I have so much muck on my AG's BA10, God alone knows what is leaking out of where.
There is an old saying about Brit cars ( Land Rover particularly ) if it leaks there is still some oil to do the job , so dont worry . But when is not leaking -- you are in trouble , you are running dry .

Quote:
Waiting for the unfortunate event when it will be taken down to clean it up!!
Ahh not much ,before opening , soak it in kerosene for an hour & pressure wash it .

Btw , I dont like stained parking either , I worked hard & now successfully stopped/ sealed four out of six spots . Surely not running dry though .

Sudarshan
Sudarshan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 12:12   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
There is an old saying about Brit cars
Sudarshan, the same thing is also said of Brit Bikes - leaking/oil drops = Marking their territory

Even the latest Triumphs do that (at least mine does) - couple of small drops after a full weekend work out, that is all. No I am not complaining

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 26th February 2013, 15:23   #177
BHPian

with exceptions

My Mechanic never used that red colored bond (Ana Bond in our local language) while rebuilding the Engine/gearbox of my old 550. He uses OE packing kit with grease for sealing, I don't know how it works But It really works!! . Only one I got leak from TC side and he removed the TC and agin did it with new packing kit + Grease..(Free service) It never leaked. Still My old jeep doesn't leak !!

But this NGT520 is without packing ,only the sealing bonds. lets see what happen, He is rebuilding the NGT for the first time.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20000101_053509_483.jpg
This is how he cleans the GB etc.. will take a lot of time(Now almost 2 weeks) But Its worth the waiting.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2013, 16:59   #178
BHPian

Work Continues.. Expected delivery this week last.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130304_142832_236.jpg
Engine after the Gasket replacement.
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130304_142856_2.jpg
Gearbox after a minor Overhaul

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-20130228_175120_150.jpg
Why two temperature sensor ? One Big on top of the head and small one on side !!
sreejeshmp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 08:32   #179
BHPian

Quote:
Geje ,

Please No more "Sir".

Your 540 is with DP engine Right ? Its good to think about an Engine swap too

Good to hear that you are understanding the needed parts for the Job.

51" OKBJ on front
51" SFRA from army 550 on rear, You get the advantage of LSD with 30 spline axle (That army 30 spline axle is big and strong)
KMT90+T18 single shifter/double liver both will do the job
Offroad -ve offset steel wheels for wider track & better look.
MT/AT (30-31" is the best) tyre which suits your Budget.

or / sell the 540 as it is.. Buy a NGCS . I personally know few from Coorg with 58" FC axles and 57"+53" axles on their 540s all are saying it good for Photography . On road it behaves like a Boat. So if you want bigger track like 57",53" MRCBT 5 speed gearbox, bigger Engine.. go for NGCS.

- Sreejesh
Thank you Sreejesh for your Comments,
I would love to buy any NGCS, but did not find anything that suits my Budget.
Why do you think that after all the modification and changing of the axles, the jeep is not fit for offroading ?
Thanks and regards
Old 6th March 2013, 13:07   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geje View Post
Thank you Sreejesh for your Comments,
I would love to buy any NGCS, but did not find anything that suits my Budget.
Why do you think that after all the modification and changing of the axles, the jeep is not fit for offroading ?
Thanks and regards
Read it once more, not off road "on road"

- Sreejesh

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks