Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2012, 16:24   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse

Frankie is correct in the sense that a weaker chasis will always flex more than a sturdier chasis, but Jeep Wrangler when to box frame chasis many moons ago, I don't see wranglers struggling in an OTR because of the boxed chasis. In my opinion articulation should come from a good suspension set up not from a weak chasis.
4x4addict is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 19:10   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejeshmp View Post
Scorpio Engine

taken the 2 cents.

Can you post the video or any pics of the particular ROCK CLIMBING ? CJ5 & CJ3B may be because they are SWB jeeps but 550 & NGCS I still don't understand what type of articulation you are getting from a 550 ?

Do you think 550 with out LSD can do the same ?
Srejesh, there were 540s too with open diffs, a 91: wheel base cj6(chopped) all did it easily, i dont know how much difference there is in articulation ,but the ngcs didnt budge .

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
sree like Frankie said I too feel the ngcs doesn't flex both in leaf and chassis dept compared to old school Jeeps, this may be a issue in articulation and offroading, I tried simple things in my Ngcs AG and its on a blue pill always - Stiff!!!
Even i noticed that santosh , too stiff .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Frankie is correct in the sense that a weaker chasis will always flex more than a sturdier chasis, but Jeep Wrangler when to box frame chasis many moons ago, I don't see wranglers struggling in an OTR because of the boxed chasis. In my opinion articulation should come from a good suspension set up not from a weak chasis.
Tini, the CJ7 and the 1992 wrangler yj (both friends vehicles) have the box section chassis with leaf spring setup. Both articulate slightly better than the gypsy , thats it.
The YJ s antiroll bar can be disengaged too, but not much difference.
With the coil sprung rubicons, its a different story though .

Chassis flex need not be weak , ford GPW and MBs have flexible chassis ,may be something to do with the metal used, even their leafs flex , actually become reverse and come back with out breaking.

Personally i felt the NGCS might have an advantage when in a competition where there is lot of jumping , but other wise it cant match the c section in regular otr events .
Old 27th November 2012, 22:00   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sandeep, from an OTR perspective the older platform may have an advantage provided by chasis flex. The suspension of the NGCS platform including the Bolero, Thar DI etc, is designed with an on-road bias. However the NGCS Army chasis has longer leaf perch and longer leaf springs to allow for bigger wheel and relatively more articulation.
4x4addict is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 22:34   #49
BHPian

Mechanical and some modification continues..

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0602.jpg
Mechanic was servicing the front caliper, Surprisingly I saw a oil bottle of CASTER OIL The bottle is very familiar to me Because Its our product I asked him why you need this and the answer surprised me more than I expected "Is used as caliper grease " according to him Its the best lubrication for the Caliper piston etc. But I told him use the grease supplied with the service kit I am sure he believes CASTER OIL more than Caliper Grease from TVS.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0599.jpg
Putting the sir clip, this too is not needed for him he says he normally removes them because Its not needed !!

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0604.jpg
Moved to first over.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0616.jpg
Welded Jassy to my Jeep.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0618.jpg
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0619.jpg
Dash fabrication almost done.

Bought an Amaron Harvest 90 Ah battery & using the OE Cutoff switch of 550's.
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2012, 23:18   #50
BHPian

Hi Sreejesh,

Works are going so fast...! Hope it will be on road in a weeks time then.

Quote:

Attachment 1019725
Welded Jassy to my Jeep.
From where do you got this embossed 'Jeep' logo? How much? Can you organize a pair for me tooo?

Sadiq

Last edited by Salikt : 28th November 2012 at 23:21.
Old 29th November 2012, 07:44   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Sreejesh,

Works are going so fast...! Hope it will be on road in a weeks time then.

From where do you got this embossed 'Jeep' logo? How much? Can you organize a pair for me tooo?

Sadiq
Hi Sadiq,

Its a gift from a friend.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ve...ml#post1869784

- Sreejesh
Old 29th November 2012, 15:06   #52
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Sandeep, from an OTR perspective the older platform may have an advantage provided by chasis flex. The suspension of the NGCS platform including the Bolero, Thar DI etc, is designed with an on-road bias. However the NGCS Army chasis has longer leaf perch and longer leaf springs to allow for bigger wheel and relatively more articulation.
Adding SV santhosh NGCS ARMADA 4wd pic from Face book
Attached Thumbnails
MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-395162_463761120336860_1809266734_n.jpg  

Rajith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 07:21   #53
BHPian

Fabricated the dash, Modified the battery stand to accommodate Amaron Harvest.

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0625.jpg

MM550 XD NGCS - The War Horse-img_0626.jpg
sreejeshmp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 11:44   #54
BHPian

Hey Sreejesh,

Congrats on the NGCS and nice to see the work progressing so fast.

I like the dash board design that you are making and was wondering that if you angle it a bit towards yourself then the meters would probably be a bit more readable.

Regards.
mitrajdeep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 12:07   #55
AVR
BHPian

Good progress made rather quickly Sreejesh! This makes me feel like my Jeep's paint job is almost being done in slow-motion.

I think its about time NGCS models start coming in the disposal market. In fact someone on FB messaged me a very neatly restored NGSC '05 model for sale.

Looking forward to your driving experience because I am quite keen to hear about your observations about the difference off-road between the old and the NGCS Jeeps.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Adi
Old 30th November 2012, 12:35   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
In fact someone on FB messaged me a very neatly restored NGSC '05 model for sale.
Could you forward me the details if you are not interested in buying it? Thanks.
Old 30th November 2012, 14:19   #57
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekjayasheel View Post
Could you forward me the details if you are not interested in buying it? Thanks.
Look up Gaurav Arora on the 4x4 India Facebook Group. He has it. Can't pm you so going OT here.
AVR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2012, 14:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

Check

Quote:
Fabricated the dash, Modified the battery stand to accommodate Amaron Harvest.
Koya, please ensure that with your current dash configuration, the windshield still drops down without any fouling, this will depend on how and where you have mounted it. From the looks of it through the pictures, it does not 'seem' to be a problem. But cross check.

Spike

PS- opening the windshield once will also let you know, if there is rust underneath (the area near the 8 mm thick rubber insulation).
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2012, 07:56   #59
BHPian

Re: Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitrajdeep View Post
Hey Sreejesh,

Congrats on the NGCS and nice to see the work progressing so fast.

I like the dash board design that you are making and was wondering that if you angle it a bit towards yourself then the meters would probably be a bit more readable.

Regards.
Will check it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Good progress made rather quickly Sreejesh! This makes me feel like my Jeep's paint job is almost being done in slow-motion.

I think its about time NGCS models start coming in the disposal market. In fact someone on FB messaged me a very neatly restored NGSC '05 model for sale.

Looking forward to your driving experience because I am quite keen to hear about your observations about the difference off-road between the old and the NGCS Jeeps.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Adi
Adi,

I have talked/saw few Thar Di owners and all of them told in off road it easily stands like dog peeing . But there is some difference in NGCS & Thar Di Chassis. I think We can workaround on the suspension thing. I will post the off road/on road behavior of this NGCS with out any secrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Koya, please ensure that with your current dash configuration, the windshield still drops down without any fouling, this will depend on how and where you have mounted it. From the looks of it through the pictures, it does not 'seem' to be a problem. But cross check.

Spike

PS- opening the windshield once will also let you know, if there is rust underneath (the area near the 8 mm thick rubber insulation).
The mounting is same as the OEM dash , Will post the detailed pictures.There is no rest underneath I checked (Thank god).

Sreejesh
Old 1st December 2012, 15:37   #60
BHPian

Sir,
Do you plant to bring it back to Coimbatore for registration, or is it a registered vehicle. Please mail me the details.
BTW your Jeep is coming out Great. Wish I had met jerrycan earlier.
Jess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks