Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2008, 14:28   #106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have shifted to 4Wd at 60kmph in the Gypsy king 1.3 carb.
IIRC, even the manual said that shift on the fly could happen upto 60kmph.
Dear tanveer Sir,

Shifting at 60 kph to 4wd is not the same as doing at 100 kph. Gypsies max out at 100 - 120 depending on the vehicle and you will not be able to shift to 4wd-H at that speed unless you have strong arms and are ready to sacrifice a gearbox.

BTW, what is IIRC ?
Old 5th June 2008, 14:34   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
...BTW, what is IIRC ?
IIRC , IIRC stands for "If I Remember/Recall Correctly".
Old 5th June 2008, 14:51   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex670c View Post
3) Check your suspension. The rear of the JEEP is raised.
count the no. of Leaf Springs
CJ3B Military - Front 10 Rear 11
CL340DP(CLASSIC) - Front 8 Rear 9
I wasn't sure whether to count the bottom most piece. Looks like front 9 leafs, rear 10 leafs.

Front leafs.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_6055669.jpg

Rear leafs.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_6055673.jpg

Under the hood.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_6055675.jpg

The free wheeling hub.
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_6055682.jpg
Old 5th June 2008, 14:55   #109
BHPian

I think it is high time you take this lil wonder off road , and post some deliciously scenic pictures !! No seriously I've been silently waiting for a while now.

Thanks
Old 5th June 2008, 14:56   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Im a full supporter of disc brakes.
And this is what I would suggest you,Samurai.
No you dont need brakes at all..the jeep has a great engine and can be controlled without touching the brakes.. one better practise that as the brakes fail on some off road situations.

In my initial days, have spent 1.5 hours to do 11 kms without brakes just after my offroad session.

Quote:
What this amazing FE tells is that the engine is healthy and is putting out good power. And that good power is being well transmitted to the road.
Generally all SW Jeeps give 16kpl +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It already has a gear-lock, it is called Mahindra gearbox.

Anyway, it is usually parked at office, which is guarded by two security guards 24x7. Besides, CJ340 is not something a thief would steal around here.
Simple, slip the 4wd lever in neutral. Even a novice will not be able to get away !

Quote:
For security,having a secret/hidden MAINS switch is good enough.
A mains switch is good in these machines to save the battery and the leakages that occur.

Quote:
^^This is has been highly debated here.
But, I have personally shifted at <5kph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack33 View Post
We can engage and disengage the 4wd high at normal speeds.If you are using the jeep for offroading i think there is no need for a disc brake.You can actually start the jeep in 4wd low without applying the clutch.
the start and the speed is so low that the clutch does not make much of a difference ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
I have tried this on the Gypsy, and it works...2H to 4H at about 30kmph without any problem, and 4H to 4L at about 5kmph (with some trick as you mentioned ). But it is always better to shift from 4H to 4L at standstill.
Correct sir. Whereas one could do the reverse without much harm!
Old 5th June 2008, 15:00   #111
BHPian

Slip !!

Correct me if I am wrong,..unless the tyres encounter a certain degree of slip (loose gravel, slush, sand) engaging 4 hi or 4 lo is strictly not reccomended unless you have a central diff.off course in which case you have a AWD vehicle.

The gypsy does not have a central diff. hence at 60kmph if you are on tarmac,..your transmission and drive shafts are not going to last very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Dear tanveer Sir,

Shifting at 60 kph to 4wd is not the same as doing at 100 kph. Gypsies max out at 100 - 120 depending on the vehicle and you will not be able to shift to 4wd-H at that speed unless you have strong arms and are ready to sacrifice a gearbox.

BTW, what is IIRC ?
Old 5th June 2008, 15:01   #112
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wow! Your Jeep is so clean under the hood....can hardly see any rust. I guess living in the coastal area takes it toll on my Jeep.
Old 5th June 2008, 15:07   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
Correct me if I am wrong,..unless the tyres encounter a certain degree of slip (loose gravel, slush, sand) engaging 4 hi or 4 lo is strictly not reccomended unless you have a central diff.off course in which case you have a AWD vehicle.

The gypsy does not have a central diff. hence at 60kmph if you are on tarmac,..your transmission and drive shafts are not going to last very long.
I agree 100%, but the more knowledgable ones tell us that it can be done at 100 kph! I wonder how

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Wow! Your Jeep is so clean under the hood....can hardly see any rust. I guess living in the coastal area takes it toll on my Jeep.
Yeah, and there is no oil leak too!
Old 5th June 2008, 15:40   #114
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque-ative View Post
engaging 4 hi or 4 lo is strictly not reccomended unless you have a central diff.off course in which case you have a AWD vehicle.
From all that I ever was taught by "experts" what you say is correct and driving a car with 4 low engaged on tarmac definitely creates a "bind" in the system which eventually grinds the gears to bits.

Interesting if any of the "experts" at TBHP have a different opinion. Perhaps someone could hold a short discourse on transfer case technology?

I am inclined to believe that on a turn just as a rear or front diff accounts for differential rates of spin of either wheel, on a 4 WD engaged while turning the rate of spin of the front wheels may not be identical to the rear, which explains the binding feeling. Meaning if there is a central diff also accounting for variations in spin for front vs back then this problem would be solved. ie unless its a perfect straight line you'd probably smash the gears trying to shift at 100!

Last edited by DKG : 5th June 2008 at 15:46.
Old 6th June 2008, 02:09   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
From all that I ever was taught by "experts" what you say is correct and driving a car with 4 low engaged on tarmac definitely creates a "bind" in the system which eventually grinds the gears to bits.

Interesting if any of the "experts" at TBHP have a different opinion. Perhaps someone could hold a short discourse on transfer case technology?

I am inclined to believe that on a turn just as a rear or front diff accounts for differential rates of spin of either wheel, on a 4 WD engaged while turning the rate of spin of the front wheels may not be identical to the rear, which explains the binding feeling. Meaning if there is a central diff also accounting for variations in spin for front vs back then this problem would be solved. ie unless its a perfect straight line you'd probably smash the gears trying to shift at 100!
Hi,

have a look to my posts here...http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...mal-roads.html
Ciao!

Ignazio
Old 6th June 2008, 12:31   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post

You are 100% correct Sir! But I doubt even in a perfeKt straight line one could shift in 4wd from 2wd in a vehicle without a centre differential.
Old 9th June 2008, 14:25   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Samurai - PLEASE DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE VEHICLE NOW. I have seen the photographs. Please PM me, I will guide you in totality.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 9th June 2008, 17:30   #118
Team-BHP Support

Hi Mr.Dhabhar,

I have PMed you.
Old 10th June 2008, 08:09   #119
Senior - BHPian

Hi, we would also like to know what you are doing to your jeep. Please post!
Old 10th June 2008, 11:28   #120
Team-BHP Support

Nothing so far, just getting the brakes and radiator repaired. I just want it to be reliable for now. I'll do off-road related mods only after doing some off-roading.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks