Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2010, 11:04   #856
BHPian

Nice work Samurai, one novice question, Have you checked with DB Sir that why cant we use Latest MM Major Tub and Chop it to CJ3B Size. Simply Because one of my old Petrol jeep has a Joint in Body And Chassis to make it lengthy.

Last edited by swastikviji : 14th April 2010 at 11:07.
Old 14th April 2010, 11:11   #857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Nice work Samurai, one novice question.
How can you ask a novice question considering you have multiple ongoing builds on Jeep, Gypsy and Jonga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swastikviji View Post
Have you checked with DB Sir that why cant we use Latest MM Major Tub and Chop it to CJ3B Size. Simply Because one of my old Petrol jeep has a Joint in Body And Chassis After Front Seats.
No, I haven't asked him that question. Some how I am not a big fan of chop jobs.
Old 14th April 2010, 14:03   #858
Senior - BHPian

IMHO 40k is a bargain for this work. How about a lighter color this time? For convenience of matching and touch up, something off the shelf. I think a lighter color such as "The Dog" tends to set off the vehicle lines. I am "old school". I think the jeep lines are works of art, unlike the round curvey rolling suppositories of today's SUVs...er...except for Maruti of course.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 14th April 2010 at 14:08.
Old 26th April 2010, 00:31   #859
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to disappoint you Dan, the color is going to be Phoenix Red with satin finish. I wanted matt finish at first, but I realised it is going to be a huge problem to clean.

Anyway, I visited the workshop again on 21st on my way to Bangalore.

Now the body was on the Jeep for checking the mount and sealer location, etc. I'll let the photos describe the status. You can see the new factory made fenders, grill and hood.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-001.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-019.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-005.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-006.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-007.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-008.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-020.jpg

Now for Vinay Thomas's Jeep.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-011.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-013.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-015.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-jeep-016.jpg

I have also asked them to start working on the complete replacement of wiring harness with sockets.
Old 26th April 2010, 02:12   #860
Senior - BHPian

Red works. Saw some pics of a red classic in another thread and it looked great.

By the way, I have been quoted prices higher than what you are paying just for a hardtop for my Invader. And, these are the lower estimates. Others have spent x2 just for a hartop for a MM540.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:56   #861
Senior - BHPian

Good to see your Jeep is going to be in Red. Going back to Factory Color.

What is the cost of the 2 fender, 1 grill, 1 bonnet from M&M? I saw a set of these in Sivaji nagar (in OK condition) for 5K.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:03   #862
Team-BHP Support

Santosh, the Phoenix red is much deeper red, different from original red. Also, the fender/hood/grill is not MM make. When I said factory, it is a local factory that is specialized in making these as opposed to getting them done by the garage. All these are again 16 gauge sheets, costing me 7800 bucks.

Dan, these rates are considered high by south India standards.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:28   #863
Senior - BHPian

Sharath,

Your Jeep is coming out very good.

I need to clarify two things, (Red arrows)
The fenders, since you got them fabricated, did the 3B come with this type of fenders, (like Classic) if so which model onwards?

The air intake vent on either sides, did the 3B also have this as stock?

Thanks,
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-img_6333.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 26th April 2010 at 09:33.
Old 26th April 2010, 09:39   #864
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Fazal I noticed this same thing on Gogi's Jeep. Perhaps UBS could clarify when the CJ3B got this side vent
Old 26th April 2010, 09:41   #865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Fazal I noticed this same thing on Gogi's Jeep. Perhaps UBS could clarify when the CJ3B got this side vent
Deepak,
That is exactly my dilemma too.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:45   #866
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sharath,

Your Jeep is coming out very good.
Thanks Fazal.

Quote:
I need to clarify two things, (Red arrows)
The fenders, since you got them fabricated, did the 3B come with this type of fenders, (like Classic) if so which model onwards?

Mine is not a 3B, but CJ340 which started production in 1989 with XDP engine. However, the body has undergone many changes in the hands of the previous owners, so I really don't know how it was originally.

You can look it up in the CJ340 1990 brochure though.

Last edited by Samurai : 26th April 2010 at 14:46.
Old 26th April 2010, 15:39   #867
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fazal / Deepak / Sharath - the stories behind the side flaps / the fenders are as follows:

Side flaps - ventilating windshield was discontinued in 1982 in 2WD vehicles. Therefore, these vents were introduced. The name of the engineer who worked on this project in 1982 was Dhareshwar. He was an electrical engineer. I don't know how he got into side flaps. I built the first prototypes in Kandivli.

Bent over fenders - this was introduced in 2 phases. In the first phase, the fenders had a rounded front curve instead of the sharp frpont curve. The rounded front curve fenders were made by a vendor called "Anandji Haridas", therefore, these fenders were known as Anandji Haridas fenders for many years. The rounded fenders were used on "deemed export" vehicles. The sharp fenders were introduced after 1984, to meet the external projection regulations and front small light centre to centre distance regulations. The engineering group who did this project worked under Mr.Barasara / Mr.Vaishnav. Both have now retired. Mr.Vaishnav's son still works in the customer care department in Worli and is my very good friend. He is the guy I turned to when GTO wanted a new engine.

Like this, there are many stories. I remember everything as if it all happened yesterday.

Dear Swastikviji - what do you think I will do to reincarnate the CL340? There is one major difference though. The rear overhang is more in the CL550MDI as compared to the original CL340.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 26th April 2010 at 15:57. Reason: add info
Old 26th April 2010, 17:06   #868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Thanks Fazal.
Sharath,
You are most welcome, looking forward to the end product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Fazal / Deepak / Sharath
Like this, there are many stories. I remember everything as if it all happened yesterday.
Sir Behram,
Your yesterdays are today an Encyclopedia or better still Wikipedia for us who want to know anything pertaining to Jeeps.
Amazing memory and technical detail.
Thanks,

Now my problem is I have CJ3 B on chassis and book...but with these fenders which I don't like. Anybody interested in an exchange program?
Regards,
Old 26th April 2010, 18:34   #869
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Fazal - what I have told upto now is nothing. I can tell you details of which vehicle prototype I built when, when and where did I test it out, what were the readings, what were the pass / fail criteria, everything which I did more than 30 years ago as if it happened yesterday.

One example - On 11 August 1981, my colleagues Aziz Somani, P.Vincent and I started from Mumbai to go to Jaisalmer in the first prototype Iran vehicle registered as MMG7627. It has "Shahbaaz-E-Iran" embossed in persian on its tail gate. We reached Baroda after a great deal of difficulty as there was a massive traffic jam after Surat and we were diverted through a town called Dabhoi. We stayed at the Kalyan Hotel opposite the station (Kalyan hotel is still there). I had triple sundae ice cream in the hotel's restaurant. Next day, 12 August morning, we had masala omlettes for breakfast at a hotel whose name was "laari lappa" restaurant (whatever that means). We drove via Ahmedabad, Sidhpur, Palanpur, Abu Road and Sirohi to reach Pali in the night. I wrote a postcard to my parents that night and mailed it from the Pali post office. The next day 13 August we reached Jodhpur and serviced the vehicle at the dealer workshop. The workshop had a triangular open area with dirty oily floor and black handed mechanics. The next day 14 August we reached Jaisalmer and stayed at the Moomal Tourist Bungalow (Moomal Tourist Bungalow is still there). We survived on "Bhindi" and "Besan ke gatthe" because nothing else was available. We started the test on Independence day 15 August for which we filled 800 kg of sand in bags in the car and poor Vincent had to sit on it all the time. I used to drive everyday from Jaisalmer to Barmer 250 kms and back 250 kms and Somani took the readings. We returned to Mumbai on 27 August 1981. My report was handwritten in a file which was covered with brown paper cover like a school book. I remember all the "delta T" values and trends even today.

I have always said that a professional test engineer has the best job in the world. Now you now.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2010, 19:34   #870
Senior - BHPian

....Amazing Grace....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks