Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2009, 16:56   #811
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
what are comfortable cruising speeds of your jeeps ..everybody pl share..
My Jeep is having XD3P motor, KMT90 gearbox, 4.27 diff ratio and 31x10.5 radial tyres; my confortable cruising speed is 80-85 (if the road is good), max speed is 100+ (never checked it though).
Old 29th December 2009, 18:02   #812
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfreak View Post
what are comfortable cruising speeds of your jeeps ..everybody pl share..
Pls. also mention wheelbase. Forgot to mention it in my previous post.

For me, the best on road was the XDP with 101 WB. The worst the CJ3/ CJ340. Normally avoided using the 91 WB. Those had the B275s. And used the 340 for touring only when I knew that I would definitely need its off road capabilities.

All had optimistic speedometers, but the worst offenders were the 340, (and not relevant here) the Armada Grand.

Sutripta
Old 29th December 2009, 18:24   #813
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
For me, the best on road was the XDP with 101 WB.
Which Jeep was this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
The worst the CJ3/ CJ340. Normally avoided using the 91 WB. Those had the B275s. And used the 340 for touring only when I knew that I would definitely need its off road capabilities.
The 91 inch WB is CL500, the Major. The CJ340 is 80 inch WB. Since I have to drive it to the OTR site, I can't escape the one way 200Km+ drives. To Munnar I had to do nearly 700Kms one way in 19 hours, and same drive back. No wonder I am looking forward to Thar.
Old 29th December 2009, 20:46   #814
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Which Jeep was this?

The 91 inch WB is CL500, the Major. The CJ340 is 80 inch WB. Since I have to drive it to the OTR site, I can't escape the one way 200Km+ drives. To Munnar I had to do nearly 700Kms one way in 19 hours, and same drive back. No wonder I am looking forward to Thar.
On a matter of principle, all our vehicles are standard. And except for an Armada here and Marshall there, all pre MMs habit of naming rather than numbering vehicles.

The 101WB was amongst the early XDPs. 4x4, 3 spd. Fitted a 2 door Roplas. Was my daily drive for a number of years. The vehicle I blame for my knee troubles now! It was later converted for ambulance duty. Still in service.

All our 91 WB were B275s, 4x4, 3 spd. Some softtops, some Roplas 2 doors. All scrapped but one still physically present. Those were horrible to drive on highways. I still remember, one of the first had a accelerator as heavy as the clutch! The 1210s were faster on the road, and the sadistic amongst them would toy with you. This is the reason why I preferred the 340 to these, though the 91 WBs had the better ride, and in case of the hardtops, protection from the elements.

Had some other 4x4s also. One of the vehicles which we have not had is the FC. That too came in a 4x4 version. Anyone have one of those.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 31st December 2009, 17:49   #815
Team-BHP Support

Since the OTR season got over for now, I am giving the Jeep for a major body rebuild next week. Today I stripped the winch and all the extra lights.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_c316231.jpg

While the mechanicals are in perfect shape, the body is falling apart due to rust and earlier shody body patchwork.
Old 31st December 2009, 17:56   #816
Team-BHP Support

Smear the alloys with grease, will avoid a lot of pain while cleaning up after the job. So what shade are you deciding?
Old 31st December 2009, 18:06   #817
Team-BHP Support

What does grease do?

The rebuild will be done by the same guys who did Sachin's Jeep. I still have about a month to pick the color, mostly I will stick with green, but with a matt finish.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:08   #818
BANNED

Quote:
What does grease do?
Protect the alloys form paint, run off putty etc. They will apply putty all over, and sand it down with plenty of water. This is pretty sticky gooey substance and your tyres will look a bit like they have been bleached.

Better option would be to use the old wheels + tyres, if you retained them, since you seem to have expensive radials.

BTW, I have seen "shells" for ambys, are such shells for jeeps available? Just curious.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 31st December 2009 at 18:11.
Old 31st December 2009, 18:09   #819
Team-BHP Support

Yeah if you have old wheels use that, if not grease will become the protective layer against all the sanding, wayward spray's etc. unless the painting is going to be done off the vehicle.
Old 31st December 2009, 22:37   #820
Senior - BHPian

But if he applies grease to the tyres, will it come off???
I can understand that it will come off the rims but what about the rubber compound on the tyres
Old 1st January 2010, 13:03   #821
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - I would say that there are 2 ways to go about doing up your CJ340. One is the "normal" garage way (avoid it, it will never give guys like us the results that we look for), the other is full chassis overhaul. The correct way to do this is as follows - complete all the sheet metal work with the body on the chassis so that you use the chassis as a sort of fixture to prevent any uncalled for flexes, then weld tourniquet bars located at critical diagonal points on the body shell, then take the shell off the chassis, overhaul the chassis, undercoat the body, first with traditional "red oxide" and then with black epoxy paint. This epoxy will form a protectiver plastic type layer on the underbody area and prevent any further deterioration. You remove the tourniquet bars just before you take the body shell for paint. I have used this technique on all my restored fiats. It will be time consuming, expensive and a big hassle to plan out all activities and conduct them in sequence but as you are keeping your vehicle forever, it will be worth it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 1st January 2010, 15:25   #822
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Behram, I'll see whether the garage guys will heed your advice.

This particular garage guys may be more receptive though since I got the owner to meet Sudhir Kashyap once and get Jeep Gyan from him.
Old 1st January 2010, 15:43   #823
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
then weld tourniquet bars located at critical diagonal points on the body shell, then take the shell off the chassis,

This is a new technique for me. Can somebody explain this technique? (sketches, probably?)
Old 2nd January 2010, 15:00   #824
BHPian

pl forgive me for a question which seems quite dumb..

supitra mentions b 275,what is that? and when u say 91 wb , i presume u are mentioning 91 inches of wheel base, am i right.

also recently i noted that when i take my foot of the acclerator suddenly while cruising in 3rd, then my jeep shudders and gives lots of vibrations. what could be the reason? mine is a 3b. could it be because of worn out engine rubber mounts?
Old 3rd January 2010, 08:24   #825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
..... I am giving the Jeep for a major body rebuild next week. ..While the mechanicals are in perfect shape, the body is falling apart due to rust and earlier shody body patchwork.
Sharat - You spoke my thoughts... I still have'nt decided to take the plunge because I havent got a perfect place to get this done.

Could you please elaborate how to intend to approach the above?

1) Remove 2 fenders, 1+1 grill/hood, 1 TUB - then sand blast OR hand-rub-strip the entire paint/metal paste down - apply red oxide + primer + then paint up?

2) Do the above + strip chassis off the drive train, axle/suspension assy, then rub the chassis down-up and primer+paint it?

Please be kind enough to give inputs on each of the cost involved as I can expect a similar expense from my side for my Jeep.

My 2 cents
1) Please revert ASAP to your old 4 stock steel RIMS, and keep these back home. Paint can be washed away, but not a scratch or a dent on those alloys. Just to be safe. Keep the 5th tyre back @ home.---EDIT--- Do you have those 4 Appolo tyres that came with the Jeep? You can actually keep these Yokos back home...

2) Also remove the seats and keep them @ home (after delivering it @ garage) and the number plate as they are the next good things now on you Jeep. Paint/Scratch will reduce one smile off you.

2nd Edit

3) Also leave the soft top Assy back home

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd January 2010 at 08:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks