Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 10:23   #901
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrainsnooper View Post
Samurai - Good going, hope the work gets done to your satisfaction. Times like these are anxious moments for us Jeep owners. OT - Can anyone advice if it's possible to get a OEM engine overhaul kit for the XDP4.9, with new liners, Pistons etc? I have a fair amount of smoke bellowing out of the crankcase breather and methinks it's time for a good overhaul, before the monsoon seasons starts. Anyone done a overhaul on the XDP4.9 recently?
Yes you can get them and its been done very routinely every where. It will cost you about 25k or thereabouts.
Old 18th May 2010, 18:10   #902
BHPian

Samurai, if you haven't started the painting, do the body work for a snorkel as well. Plus, ask him to install a paper filter instead of Oil Bath type.

Thanks
Sree
Old 18th May 2010, 19:38   #903
Team-BHP Support

Isn't oil bath filter better for offroading than paper filter? Besides, I haven't planned for snorkel fitting this time. I don't want to delay painting anymore, the monsoon is too near.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:44   #904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Isn't oil bath filter better for offroading than paper filter? Besides, I haven't planned for snorkel fitting this time. I don't want to delay painting anymore, the monsoon is too near.
If you plan for a snorkel, then Paper filter is best. Besides, Suresh once told that it will reduce the clatter a lot, i don't how. Don't fit the snorkel but make a cut on the bonnet so you can install it later on. Otherwise you need to do a cut job again which will end up touching the paint one more, if the mech do not have proper cutting tools.

--Sree--
Old 18th May 2010, 19:58   #905
Team-BHP Support

Samu and i retract my over engineering comment. Had a chance to meet up with Suresh over the weekend and he showed me the issue (real life example) if the L clamps are not in place. One thing though, ideally you need to have these L's (one each) on both the sides of the chassis/bumper piece. In your case its should be fine since you have the winch plate, right?
Old 18th May 2010, 20:08   #906
Team-BHP Support

Yes, I have the winch plate on the top which was made by Suresh and installed according to his instructions.
Old 22nd May 2010, 11:02   #907
BHPian

Quite a few jeeps have actually slowed the project & the mechanic not there to complete the Jeep, more over i too havent been able give much time, that's one of the main reason for the delay , hope to be ready in a months time,

Quote:
Only Vinay Thomas can answer that question.
Fit in a Sumo Filter this will fit perfect & it is dry this is the best for the offroading too.

Quote:

Last edited by Samurai : 22nd May 2010 at 14:21.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:37   #908
BHPian

Hi San Samurai,
Happened to read most of the threads started by you.
Your posts kept me glued on for your style of writing & the amount of knowledge i have gained from your threads are invaluable.
Eagerly waiting to see more updates from you on your Jeep in its new avatar :-)
Regards,
Kumar
Old 25th May 2010, 10:27   #909
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Kumar. BTW, I am not San Samurai. San in Japanese is similar to the expression Ji in Hindi. Instead of calling Samurai ji, some guys call Samurai san.

So you can be called Kumar San, not to be confused with Kumar Sanu.

Actually I don't have that much knowledge of Jeep. I only know about components that have troubled me a lot. This is a learning thread for me as well.

BTW, the rebuild mechanic called me today. He wanted to know whether I want to change my ignition key to the type the locks the steering. I believe it is from the Fiat car. Considering how little theft protection Jeeps have, I agreed. Hope this is not a mistake.

Paint work is progressing and electrical work has started. I wonder how they can do it together. I will be visiting next in the first week of June.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:10   #910
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath - the CJ340 and Premier Padmini steering column diameter is same at 1.5 inches. Therefore, Padmini steering lock will fit CJ340. For this, it is necessary to weld a circular tang on the inner column and provide a cut in the outer column. I hope your person can do it properly. After fitment, the two M8*1.25 size bolt heads must be sheared off to prevent removal by a thief. The lock cum ignition switch is of Jay make. The OE switch of Padmini came in 2 configurations, AC (5 wires) and non AC (4 wires). You will need to use the non AC switch. In OE switches, the 4 / 5 wires are soldered to the terminals and held in a connector. Reliability of the switch is not very good. If you always park your vehicle in a protected place, it is really not worth fitting this thing. Also, it will not have the heater plug circuit. I will advise you not to fit it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 25th May 2010, 12:25   #911
Team-BHP Support

Dear Behram, thanks for the quick reply. He has already installed this lock in many Jeeps, so he is familiar with the setup.

I called the mechanic with your concern about the heater plug circuit. He said since we are installing the timer, the heating will happen when I turn on the key. Earlier I had to turn the key beyond the ON and hold it for heating. Now I am not so sure. Since the timer is installed, will the heating happen if the key is kept in ON?
Old 25th May 2010, 12:34   #912
Team-BHP Support

Yup it will work if its a automatic timer set up, and for really cold condition you will have to repeat the OFF to ON before you crank.
Old 25th May 2010, 12:34   #913
Team-BHP Support

The timer is very simple and operation is easy to check.
It has main power supply. Every time power supply comes on, it switches on the glow plugs for 5 seconds.
However, this setup has a problem. For example, some people immediately start the engine. This can damage glow plugs.
More expensive models have a third input from the starter motor circuit.
So their logic equation is like this..
Turn off the glow plugs as soon as 5 seconds are over, or when current from starter motor circuit is received.

Modern cars(like 2.2 safari) also have a fuel temp sensor wired to the glow plug circuit. So if its very cold, glow plug stays on longer. In summers it just couple of seconds, in snow I have seen 5 seconds.
Old 2nd June 2010, 19:57   #914
BHPian

Hi Samurai San,
Am eagerly waiting for the weekend to check out your jeep in its new avatar.
Don't keep us waiting for too long :-)
Old 2nd June 2010, 20:24   #915
Team-BHP Support

Er.. nothing is going to happen this weekend catchkumar. The paint work is delayed and they have just about finished the preparation with putty and surfacing. I thought they would be able to finish the painting before June. But... they will be starting in June. If the monsoon comes on time in Coorg, then it will be affecting the drying of the paint. Moisture will get under the paint and what not.

Most Viewed