Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2009, 21:42   #766
BHPian

Zahed,

Your mechanics could be right. Think about a Pump calibration. But before this, clean your fuel lines and change your diesel filter if you haven't done it already. Are you feeling some power lose?

BTW tried calling you but your mobile is switched off.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 9th November 2009, 21:57   #767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
Hi guys, sorry if iam hijacking the thread.I need help with my MM 540. Its been belching blue smoke after being started. The problem was less initially but nowadays its quite a lot. 2 mechanics told me that the diesel pump has some work. any thoughts on what could be wrong. Iam getting a mileage of about 8kms/lt or so. Also bangalore guys, if any of you can help by suggesting a good jeep mechanic or so, it would be nice. Iam fed up of driving in town with "smokey"
Hi Zahed,
Is your jeep in bangalore?? is the smoke continuous all the time for all the rpm? is it consuming oil?
Old 9th November 2009, 22:05   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
Hi Zahed,
is it consuming oil?
Million dollar question, You should check this also Zahed.

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 10th November 2009, 11:45   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sreerajunnithan / Rehaan and all - I just read posts in the last 2 pages. Thank you for the comments. Please note that I use the forum to provide myself with some sort of escape valve within the daily activities that I go through. So, please permit me to continue to do so.

That said, as regards giuding people is concerned, I am nobody to guide anybody. However, I would request you to go through Harjeev Chadha's MM540 restoration thread where he lost everything except the shirt on his body in an area known as "Mayapuri" (wherever that is), and see where he is now. As Sudhir Kashyap happens to be Delhi based, he took the assignment and he did what was required to be done to set the vehicle right. But guys like Sudhir Kashyap / Behram Dhabhar are a rare commodity (yes, we know!) and we cannot be all over India all the time. The service atation is the next best choice. See what happened to Sharath's CJ340. It was in poor condition when he got it. See how it behaves itself now, after things have been done "properly" (the shock absorber example not withstanding, which has since been set right). I think that it would be statistically impossible to have all "good" ASSes ("good" in our eyes and no pun intended), so you would have been quite dissatisfied, especially in the case of an MM540 which today is not a fast moving model. Well, in that case, just move on! After all, the service stations are in the simple business of making money by providing services. They will of course have moved on from MM540s to other vehicles. That's where your friendly neighbourhood spiderman (read as parts shopkeeper) fills in! So it is natural that the "spiderman" will give you the oil pressure switch that the service station could not. The spiderman has to dig it out of a long brown coloured / a little torn cardboard box in his shop. The service station has to start with a part number. Let me check the amount of part numbers we have on "oil pressure switch". But please remember that although the spiderman's oil pressure switch may suffice your need, it may not be the exact part which was supposed to be there in the first place!

I know that we BHPians are very very passionate about our vehicles and that we take good pride in finding out that "mere mortals cannot even do this much to a car"?

I AM ALSO LIKE THIS ONLY, THAT'S WHY I COULD WRITE THESE PARAGRAPHS, SO ----- !

Please accept my best personal regards,

Behram Dhabhar

Last edited by DHABHAR.BEHRAM : 10th November 2009 at 11:47. Reason: add info
Old 10th November 2009, 12:50   #770
BHPian

Dear Behram Sir,

I seriously wanted to reply the above thread. Not doing so, because the entire meaning of this thread will go for a toss. Time being, decided to live with "spiderman"

Thanks
--Sree--
Old 10th November 2009, 13:13   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sree - I appreciate your decision and I quite agree with it. It is best to leave it at that. There are very good spidermen out there. I also make very frequent use of them.

No hard feelings. Its not worth it.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 10th November 2009, 21:02   #772
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Zahed,
Is your jeep in bangalore?? is the smoke continuous all the time for all the rpm? is it consuming oil?
I think it is drinking oil. I put in 1.5lts today and I guess more is needed. However, the oil gauge showed that the oil was at the minimum level. The smoke is heavy during idle. The engine jerks a bit once I back off from the accelerator and thats when the smoke comes out most. During running the smoke is hardly there once the rpm is higher. The jeep is in bangalore now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreerajunnithan View Post
Million dollar question, You should check this also Zahed.

Thanks
--Sree--
Hey Sree I guess there is some issue with my phone. Not getting network even at home.
Old 10th November 2009, 23:33   #773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by princezahed View Post
I think it is drinking oil. I put in 1.5lts today and I guess more is needed. However, the oil gauge showed that the oil was at the minimum level. The smoke is heavy during idle. The engine jerks a bit once I back off from the accelerator and thats when the smoke comes out most. During running the smoke is hardly there once the rpm is higher. The jeep is in bangalore now.
Is it a xd3p engine?? did you check the oil quality? could be the oil quality being bad and diluted. Do you feel any shuddering while revving the engine? and at the same time do you observe the smoke? btw which area in bangalore the jeep is? anywhere nearby koramangala?
Old 11th November 2009, 20:28   #774
BHPian

Quote:
Is it a xd3p engine?? did you check the oil quality? could be the oil quality being bad and diluted. Do you feel any shuddering while revving the engine? and at the same time do you observe the smoke? btw which area in bangalore the jeep is? anywhere nearby koramangala?
Yes it is an xdp engine. I got it overhauled last december and it has run about 5000kms since then. I guess i should get the oil drained and put in new oil.There is no shuddering while the engine is revved. Shuddering only occurs when the accelarator is not pressed and sometimes the engine jerks. I guess the idling is not set properly. Well the jeep is at home in benson town, the other end of koramangala.
Old 12th November 2009, 09:55   #775
BHPian

Quote:
Shuddering only occurs when the accelarator is not pressed and sometimes the engine jerks.
Quote:
The smoke is heavy during idle. The engine jerks a bit once I back off from the accelerator and thats when the smoke comes out most
umm,
Looks like the same problem as in mine. Last week i changed the engine oil and the problem seems to have disappeared. suddenly yesterday the problem returned back. The shuddering, jerking etc is not consistent. It happens some times and doesn't when you bring someone to show it to. Star Aqua suggested a series of steps last week when we saw the problem. My mech said that one of the cylinder is not firing due to a blocked nozzle and thats the reason for the shudder. Have given it to get the nozzles cleaned. He said he will be removing them and take them to some pump house.

shall let you know once this nozzle thing is done.

Regards,
Krishna.
Old 12th November 2009, 10:33   #776
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittigadu View Post
Have given it to get the nozzles cleaned. He said he will be removing them and take them to some pump house.
Had a similiar issue with my Bolero too. Got the nozzles cleaned and its gone away. Another symtom could be a drop in mileage.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:13   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Had a similiar issue with my Bolero too. Got the nozzles cleaned and its gone away. Another symtom could be a drop in mileage.
Ever since I got my 2nd Hand CJ340 I have been getting 10-11 MAX FE. I dont feel any shuddereing or judders. Star_Aqua tested it once and told its ok for now. Wrt to above FE comment, is 10-11 KMPL (Highway/City use) OK for CJ340 XDP?
Old 12th November 2009, 11:19   #778
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
OK for CJ340 XDP?
Yours is the 2523cc XD3P IDI enigne?

In a Bolero weighing 1.5 tons and engine run 1.2 lakhs. Mileage presently is - in city 10-11 kmpl, highway - 12-14 kmpl.

Note: In city i never exceed 60 kmph and highways 90 kmph.
Old 12th November 2009, 11:52   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yours is the 2523cc XD3P IDI enigne?
My Bad. I get it wrong always - its the Stock 2112CC XDP 4.90 engine.
Old 12th November 2009, 14:10   #780
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Ever since I got my 2nd Hand CJ340 I have been getting 10-11 MAX FE. I dont feel any shuddereing or judders. Star_Aqua tested it once and told its ok for now. Wrt to above FE comment, is 10-11 KMPL (Highway/City use) OK for CJ340 XDP?
Hi Santosh, First of all, the engine is slightly running rich and what is the diff ratio for your 340? isn't it 5.38? if it is, the best FE you could get is at around 50kmph assuming 30" dia tyre and DP engine running at 2000rpm which produces peak torque without emitting black smoke. if you cruise more than 50kmph, then the FE drops. If you want more mileage and better cruising speed, then you may have to reduce the diff ratio.

Most Viewed