Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 17:49   #736
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Behram, that makes a lot of sense. I'll get the shocks changed ASAP.
Old 26th October 2009, 12:21   #737
Team-BHP Support

Whoa! Load carrier shocks on passenger vehicle. No wonder she flies over potholes.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:39   #738
Team-BHP Support

The workshop has ordered the correct parts this time, shocks expected by tomorrow afternoon.

Meanwhile, who says museums are boring. Last week I shot this image in my mobile phone at VITM, Bangalore. See in full size for clarity.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-imag0011.jpg

Also, how many of you have driven with a frog on the windshield. This frog jumped from the top to the inside of the windshield while I was on the road.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-imag0010.jpg

Since I didn't chase it away, it continued to live in the Jeep. A week later it jumped on my thigh, then crotch, then the passenger seat while I was battling it in one hand and driving in the other hand. That day I chased it out of the Jeep near my son's school. Haven't seen it since.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:11   #739
Team-BHP Support

ha ha ha frog putting your pants on fire! but i told ya, they were the wrong shock absorbers
Old 28th October 2009, 14:00   #740
Senior - BHPian

Guys i have a query here,
MY mm540 pulls to one side after every rainy session or if i keep it standing over a long period of time. The brakes used to set auomatically but off late it is pulling right. My mechanic has been replacing oil seals of cylinder kit saying some oil leak developed and hence the pulling. But how often does this problem occur? Or is it the time for me to change it to disk brake set up?
Old 28th October 2009, 14:57   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Also, how many of you have driven with a frog on the windshield.
Well, a little OT...but how bad can it get when a
Lady is driving a car with a lizard on the windshield, dressed up for a best friend's wedding, while its raining cats & dogs outside and stuck at a traffic signal and ready to go.

I was on phone all the time and all i could hear was, well anyones guess.
The next day she had fever out of fear. A week later, the car was sold.

regards,
Krishna.
Old 28th October 2009, 15:19   #742
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod_nookala View Post
Guys i have a query here,
MY mm540 pulls to one side after every rainy session or if i keep it standing over a long period of time. The brakes used to set auomatically but off late it is pulling right. My mechanic has been replacing oil seals of cylinder kit saying some oil leak developed and hence the pulling. But how often does this problem occur? Or is it the time for me to change it to disk brake set up?
Yes disc is any day better, but a properly set up drums should also work flawless.

Instead of getting into repair mode with cylinder kits, try replacing them and see. Also try getting the set up "tuned" properly by an expert. Once done apart from water seepage, pulling shouldnt happen and setting should last for atleast 5 to 7k kms minimum.
Old 28th October 2009, 20:25   #743
Senior - BHPian

My CJ after the rebuild in chennai gave a few tense hours before the delivery. There was massive pull to the right side during braking. After numerous Jackup and Jackdowns - the brake balancing was achieved. My CJ's problem was front drums were 2nd hand new, and rear were lathed and overhauled. So balancing took time. Now its perfect.
PS - did you check wheel alignment, that also caused my CJ to pull to one side NOT While driving, BUT while BRAKING.!
Old 29th October 2009, 12:15   #744
Senior - BHPian

Pulling to one side

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
My CJ after the rebuild in chennai gave a few tense hours before the delivery. There was massive pull to the right side during braking. After numerous Jackup and Jackdowns - the brake balancing was achieved. My CJ's problem was front drums were 2nd hand new, and rear were lathed and overhauled. So balancing took time. Now its perfect.
PS - did you check wheel alignment, that also caused my CJ to pull to one side NOT While driving, BUT while BRAKING.!

Now i can relate this. Even mine are secondhand drums. Wheel alignment seems to be ok as it pulls left sometimes and right sometimes. I think when ever it pulled it pulled to right only. During cold stsrts it pulled left off late and used to settle in after couple of pumping
Old 30th October 2009, 11:54   #745
BHPian

Quote:
I have a question. What is the symptoms that suggest a wheel alignment?? I have driven more than 10,000 KM after the wheel alignment and did a lot of ruf off roading... Is this the time I should go for wheel alignment again. Thanks.
Old 30th October 2009, 13:03   #746
Team-BHP Support

Obvious 2 symptoms, vehicle pulling and tire wear. But yes its better you do an alignment every 7-10k kms anyways to get the best out of the vehicle and the tires.
Old 30th October 2009, 19:00   #747
Team-BHP Support

Replaced radiator cap and overflow tank (got swollen by heat after water hose burst).

Finally replaced the shocks after one month of bumpy ride. Look at the difference between wrong shocks and right shocks. The ride feels lot better now.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-imag0013.jpg
Old 30th October 2009, 19:26   #748
Senior - BHPian

Dear Sharat,

If i am not asking too much, could you place a ruler next to the wrong one and take a pic. It will look like a mug shot. Looking at the pic I cant make out the approx size of the right/wrong one. Something tells me I have the wrong ones in my Jeep too!!

I understand the correct is on your Jeep now and cant be taken out, but I can approx the downsize from the wrong one from a pic.

Please...

Edit-
Cost of the 2 please??

Last edited by svsantosh : 30th October 2009 at 19:28.
Old 30th October 2009, 22:02   #749
Senior - BHPian

Hi Sharath,
First of all, nice to know that you have got the right shocks.
Just wanted to know, with the right shocks, how do you find the CFLs?
Do you find a HUGE difference on CFLs compared to your previous leaf springs or is it close to what it was before?
Thanks a lot for this information Sharath.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 31st October 2009, 00:15   #750
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If i am not asking too much, could you place a ruler next to the wrong one and take a pic. It will look like a mug shot.
I had already done that, it was 2 1/4 inches thick in diameter. But that is not the only criteria. They put the bolero pickup shocks because it was the same size as my previous one. The older one, although it was lot softer, was also 2.25 inches thick, I measured that one too. So similar sized shocks can have different characteristics, therefore don't go by size.

Quote:
Cost of the 2 please??
They swapped it for free since it was their mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starter View Post
Just wanted to know, with the right shocks, how do you find the CFLs?
Do you find a HUGE difference on CFLs compared to your previous leaf springs or is it close to what it was before?
It is a huge difference compared to the wrong shocks experience. Now I have to remember how it felt a month before with the old shocks. Give me some time, now I can start doing some real test.

Most Viewed