Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2010, 12:21   #886
Team-BHP Support

Mat finish is just fine wrt cleaning/dirt issue. Only the grease marks require a lil more force. Whatever you do, avoid the metallic clear coat. Thats the most irritating layer which gets scratched.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:35   #887
Senior - BHPian

Sharat - I thought of something now. Before you buy the paint - do some photoshop work, and take 10 of your Jeep's best pics and see how the new color looks. (If possible post it here for a visual ) It may help you decide better.
Old 6th May 2010, 21:41   #888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Sharat - I thought of something now. Before you buy the paint - do some photoshop work, and take 10 of your Jeep's best pics and see how the new color looks. (If possible post it here for a visual ) It may help you decide better.
I don't want to think about colors anymore. Besides, now the race is on to finish the paint work before the monsoon starts.
Old 8th May 2010, 23:16   #889
Team-BHP Support

Visited the garage again today, how can I not when the the road to the garage looks like this?

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5084004.jpg

It was raining when I reached the garage. That's a little scary when the paint job is about to start. The color was finalised as Graphite. I have no idea how it will actually look. I have not seen any sample.

The D-shackle hook has been installed as decided. A C-section has been inserted into the bumper to strengthen it, and is also attached to the chassis.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083992.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083990.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083991.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083995.jpg

The underbody rustproof painting is complete.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083989.jpg

The rear pintle hook platform is strengthened and ready.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083994.jpg

The gearbox sealer can now be fitted correctly on the extended edge. Earlier one 3 screws were holding.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083997.jpg

Now the chassis will be painted with black paint. Next the body will be mounted on the chassis, and preparation for body painting will start.

Vinay's Jeep is ready for painting.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5083998.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5084000.jpg

The garage where this is all happening, and the surroundings. The garage is surrounded by coffee estates.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5084001.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5084003.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5084002.jpg

As I was taking pics around the garage, the lone gentleman in the last photo started moving closer and closer. Finally he came near me and asked whether I am going to Virajpet. The parked GV was pointed towards that direction although I was not going that way, so I said no.

The city dwellers may wonder about his hope about getting a ride in a stranger's GV. But that is very normal in a small villages. I would have given him a ride if I was indeed going that way.

After swallowing the disappointment, he continued:

He: So, what research are you doing here?
Me: Research?
He: You are taking photographs.
Me: Naah! I was just checking my Jeep that is being built here.
He: Hmm, where is your native?
Me: Ugh! umm... I am from Manipal.

It is funny how people in villages ask all kind of private questions to a strangers even before asking his name. City guys are not comfortable giving out such private details to total stranger on the road. We are different, we prefer giving it out on forums and Facebook to the entire world.
Old 9th May 2010, 11:40   #890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
....It is funny how people in villages ask all kind of private questions to a strangers even before asking his name. City guys are not comfortable giving out such private details to total stranger on the road. We are different, we prefer giving it out on forums and Facebook to the entire world.
OT:
LOL. But that's the interesting part once you do get in to conversation it does open up lot of local insights and knowledge. I know not for this particular area but when away from home territory giving a lift to local will be very rewarding. And GV is indeed looking lovingly cared for.

OT: (On topic)
The whole project is getting very well documented.
Old 10th May 2010, 14:35   #891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is funny how people in villages ask all kind of private questions to a strangers even before asking his name...
OT:
Had a similar experience with a villager where he went to the extent of saying a male sperm count was better at 20-24 age rather than post 25ish... (talk started innocently with 'am i married yet' or not )

I didnt know why I even offered to talk - but the innocence was addictive, and later we went on blabbering about crops, govt subsidies, et all.

On Topic - Sharat, why did the other Jeep in garage take so long to work on? Was it intended to be a slow rebuild project?
Old 10th May 2010, 15:13   #892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For example, I wanted to install couple of D-Shackle eyelets on my Jeep front bumper which can be used to tow my Jeep.
========
So I agreed, and at no time I assumed it was engineering. Only the eyelets and the earlier winch mount designed and made by Suresh Stephan are examples of engineering, for he could exactly design it for a required load rating.
Engineering or not i want one set!! then again let me see what happens to the tow bar idea.
Old 10th May 2010, 15:28   #893
Senior - BHPian

i think you should NOT use that set on the bumpers of a jeep. While tugging it may/will rip of the bumper.

Any such device should be attached to the chassis correctly to withstand the purpose.

Just check with Spike or BD !!
Old 10th May 2010, 15:32   #894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
On Topic - Sharat, why did the other Jeep in garage take so long to work on? Was it intended to be a slow rebuild project?
Only Vinay Thomas can answer that question.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:52   #895
Team-BHP Support

Yes, I was there again. Blame the scenic drive, I mean really.

Today my whole family was going back to Manipal. Since the Coorg route is round-about, I was planning to go via Shiradi ghat. But my wife declared today morning that we will take the scenic route. Scenic route? Oh, she had seen the photograph from the last trip. So I quickly called the Mechanic and told him I will be dropping in today.

But travelling with kids is never a simple task. The little one was constipated since yesterday. So we didn't want to leave before he had a good release. But, even an hour of wait after the breakfast didn't help. He remained constipated. Therefore, instead of starting at 7:30AM, we started at 8:45AM.

And yes, we had to take extra breaks for feeding the baby, etc. It was 2:45PM by the time we reached the garage.

Now the body was back on the chassis. The chassis painting (primer+black paint) was almost over. I have asked him to provide me 4 security features.
  1. Bonnet locking to secure the battery
  2. A hook near the steering wheel so that I can use cycle lock.
  3. A locking system for the gearshift.
  4. A locking system for the spare wheel.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154015.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154017.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154018.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154013.jpg

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154016.jpg

Monday the prep-work for the painting will start. No, they haven't bought the paint yet. Meanwhile my wife demands to see the color chart to see the color I have selected. To make the long story short, now Bayer Cream will be the color of the Jeep.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p5154021.jpg

Now for the inevitable question. Yes, the baby finally pooped big time after having dinner at Manipal.
Old 16th May 2010, 10:04   #896
Distinguished - BHPian

I read this now just before breakfast. I'm not sure I did the right thing.
Old 16th May 2010, 17:18   #897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now for the inevitable question. Yes, the baby finally pooped big time after having dinner at Manipal.
Bayer Cream?

A tablespoon of coffee down the gizzard works wonders. Not synthetic, good ole retro.
Old 16th May 2010, 23:54   #898
Team-BHP Support

Now DwArF will have twin lol, looks very close to what i have on the jeep.
Old 17th May 2010, 00:05   #899
BHPian

Samurai - Good going, hope the work gets done to your satisfaction. Times like these are anxious moments for us Jeep owners. OT - Can anyone advice if it's possible to get a OEM engine overhaul kit for the XDP4.9, with new liners, Pistons etc? I have a fair amount of smoke bellowing out of the crankcase breather and methinks it's time for a good overhaul, before the monsoon seasons starts. Anyone done a overhaul on the XDP4.9 recently?
Old 17th May 2010, 00:13   #900
BHPian

Good you consulted your wife dude. And its good that she prevailed.

Graphite. Goodness gracious. Is that a color. When can men get some sense of color.

Most Viewed