Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2010, 19:55   #1006
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Hi BD, Automotive water pumps are not usually positive displacement. They are almost always centrifugal pump with an impeller. Its the oil pump and P/S pump that are positive displacement because of the hi pressure requirement.
Hi Mpower,

What you say is right, I think what he meant by positive displacement (as referred to water pump) was it had a provision for maintaining a constant flow without having a pulsating output unlike reciprocating pumps.

Positive displacement pumps are also classified into two types:- Rotary and Reciprocating. The classification depends on two main criteria namely Pressure head and Flow rate. Centrifugal pumps have a varying flow depending on the pressure head generated, whereas reciprocating pumps have a constant flow irrespective of the pressure head.

Sorry for this small lecture

Spike
Old 22nd July 2010, 20:16   #1007
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I discussed with my office electrician/plumber/handyman, he was wondering whether we can use those flexible metal pipes.

Attachment 391955
Use these to route your fuel lines under chassis. They will protect the tubes from cuts while on a trail.

even better, use metal pipes to route the fuel lines!
Old 23rd July 2010, 01:11   #1008
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Samurai the Jeep looks very different & it looks like brand new
Old 23rd July 2010, 08:30   #1009
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear MPower - thank you for pointing out the typographical error. I stand corrected. However, in case of XDP4.90 pump if you block the outlet totally, the seal gives way within 1 minute of operation. From that point of view, it needs positive displacement. I had done this experiment clandestinely in the laboratory in Kandivli in 1981.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 23rd July 2010, 22:54   #1010
Team-BHP Support

This weekend I am off to an offroad event, therefore I had to prep the Jeep in a hurry for the event over the week days itself. Thankfully my office electrician-plumber-handyman (EPH) came very handy for this task.

I wanted to install the winch, but with an extra mod. I wanted the solenoid installed on the winch rather than on the grill like before.

This was before:

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-p9063635.jpg

So I got a L bracket done in galvanized steel and installed it like this (no time for painting it):

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-944718788_kzcmhl.jpg

Now it is ready for the Jungle

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-944718851_wmhyul.jpg

What if there is no lockable cabin, I have lockable trunk. It is bolted to the side walls. Entire floor and sides gets 3mm polyurethane rubber sheet.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-944718756_h5r9kl.jpg

The nuts are secured from inside the trunk and the side handles of the trunk are under the seat. So it is pretty much secured to the chassis. All my tools, winch accessories, snacks, water bottles & backpack go into this trunk. Finally some peace of mind.

Last edited by Samurai : 23rd July 2010 at 22:56.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2010, 06:28   #1011
Distinguished - BHPian

A quick observation: Can you move the solenoid to a higher location? Water fording will make is wet and that could mean trouble.

Lovely idea of covering the entire deck floor with PU sheet. I believe there are products out in the market that "spray" PU directly on to the floor and claim very high abrasion resistance to boot.
Old 24th July 2010, 09:33   #1012
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What if there is no lockable cabin, I have lockable trunk. It is bolted to the side walls. Entire floor and sides gets 3mm polyurethane rubber sheet.

Attachment 392704

The nuts are secured from inside the trunk and the side handles of the trunk are under the seat. So it is pretty much secured to the chassis. All my tools, winch accessories, snacks, water bottles & backpack go into this trunk. Finally some peace of mind.
Please paint the trunk BLACK - then it will look OE and superb!!
Old 24th July 2010, 09:39   #1013
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sharat a suggestion. If you set the trunk a little back toward the tail gate you can use the trunk as a base for a forward facing bench seat. You can have a fold down back and seat bolted onto the trunk lid and that way you get to have your kids sit in comfort with seat belts. Whenever you need to use the trunk you simply lift the lid with the seat
Old 24th July 2010, 10:18   #1014
BANNED

Quote:

I wanted to install the winch, but with an extra mod. I wanted the solenoid installed on the winch rather than on the grill like before.

Hello Samurai
May I give few sugestios , please think over it
1) You can mount the winch solonoid box Inside the Grill so it will remain high & dry ( mostly )
2) avoid mixing/keeping the Jeep hardware ( tools, spares , oils ) with Personal software ( food , water,clothings) . In a bouncy ride the hard items are going to damage the softer ones. also would you like your food having aflavour of oil ? ( I do ) .At least make two sub compartments in that box ( It looks too good , I am tempted to --- )
3) Consider mounting that box ,( using some kind of spacers) just an inch & half above so you will be able to keep the rubber sheet removable . Reason : water will not remain there & floor can be dried easily

Your Jeep Looks Neat & nice & fresh , So Enjoy .
Best of luck
Yours Sudarshan
Old 24th July 2010, 10:51   #1015
Senior - BHPian

Sharathsan, your jeep has turned out very very well...looks crisp and handsome! Wish you a million unbreakable miles on it
Old 24th July 2010, 10:59   #1016
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear Sharath,
Please refer to my classic thread. I have mounted a similar but smaller trunck at the back with the forward facing seat welded on top of it. A very useful feature. There are pics there too!
Old 24th July 2010, 11:02   #1017
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear sharath - are you coming tomorrow? Also, winch controller must be protected. This position is not ok -best regards,behram Dhabhar
Old 24th July 2010, 11:20   #1018

Shocks for my 3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Dear Sharath - reply to your shock absorber issue is that 0402BA0281N is the part number of the rear shock absorber used in the Bolero Pick Up Flatbed Truck / Max Pick Up Flatbed Truck. No wonder it does not suit your CJ340. The shock absorber which comes nearest to your requirement is 079757 (rear) and 080166 (front).

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Sir, Can i use the same (079757 (rear) and 080166 (front)) for CJ3B .....as 3Bs almost same as CJ340. Also, I am planing to go for CFL at rear.
Thanks,
veson!
Old 24th July 2010, 11:59   #1019
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear sharath - are you coming tomorrow? Also, winch controller must be protected. This position is not ok -best regards,behram Dhabhar
IIRC Sam stays somewhere near Manipal and he has a SWB Jeep with XDP 4.90 having 5.38 Axle ratios, so his chances of attending the MGE at Mumbai are very dim. I presume he is attending some other OTR in his vicinity.

Spike

Last edited by Eddy : 26th July 2010 at 19:15.
Old 26th July 2010, 14:50   #1020
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
A quick observation: Can you move the solenoid to a higher location? Water fording will make is wet and that could mean trouble.
Any higher, the OE Winch wire have to be changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I believe there are products out in the market that "spray" PU directly on to the floor and claim very high abrasion resistance to boot.
That is very interesting. Will it stick to any surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Please paint the trunk BLACK - then it will look OE and superb!!
The painting may cost more than the trunk then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Sharat a suggestion. If you set the trunk a little back toward the tail gate you can use the trunk as a base for a forward facing bench seat. You can have a fold down back and seat bolted onto the trunk lid and that way you get to have your kids sit in comfort with seat belts. Whenever you need to use the trunk you simply lift the lid with the seat
I have accepted that this Jeep can never be a family friendly offroader. So I am not planning for any seats in the rear. It will be a punishment seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
1) You can mount the winch solonoid box Inside the Grill so it will remain high & dry ( mostly )
Wire needs to changed for that.

Quote:
2) avoid mixing/keeping the Jeep hardware ( tools, spares , oils ) with Personal software ( food , water,clothings) . In a bouncy ride the hard items are going to damage the softer ones. also would you like your food having aflavour of oil ? ( I do ) .At least make two sub compartments in that box ( It looks too good , I am tempted to --- )
I carry only dry emergency food like bread/jam, chips, etc. Tools are inside removable tool box.

Quote:
3) Consider mounting that box ,( using some kind of spacers) just an inch & half above so you will be able to keep the rubber sheet removable . Reason : water will not remain there & floor can be dried easily
I can remove the box and the PU sheet within 10 minutes for cleaning purposes. It was designed that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Sharathsan, your jeep has turned out very very well...looks crisp and handsome! Wish you a million unbreakable miles on it
Thanks, only two breakdowns so far in one week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Please refer to my classic thread. I have mounted a similar but smaller trunck at the back with the forward facing seat welded on top of it. A very useful feature. There are pics there too!
I need this size box for my needs. Not really interested in putting rear seats.

Quote:
Behram, I don't have a driver to drive my Jeep from Manipal to Pune airport and wait for me there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
I presume he is attending some other OTR in his vicinity.
Exactly, and this is one of the challenges we were presented with... You can see M P Sreenivas on top of things, literally.

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-_7246456.jpg

And I have changed my signature based on yesterday's experience.

For details, you will have to wait for the OTR report...

Last edited by Samurai : 26th July 2010 at 14:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks