Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 14:16   #961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How will the exhaust note change?
Venkat: The world has moved beyond the Hurricane Engine.

Some methods to change the exhaust sound

1. Stuff Glass wool in the secondary collection chamber of the silencer.
2. Change the primary / secondary lengths.
3. Change the intake method
4. Have a longer silencer chamber
5. Play with the ignition timing [firing order to exhaust manifold design is what i meant]
6. Change the collection chamber design for that particular model of engine.

There are a lot more complex ways which many auto companies the world over try to achieve.

Maybe our gurus on the forum could elaborate add to the above.

Cheers
Old 10th July 2010, 00:00   #962
Senior - BHPian

hello Samurai/Sharath
340 looks fantastic .

by looking at your 340 i can only say 'dil garden garden ho gaya' .
every single picture is saved in my hard disk & my nokia 5800 too!!

waiting to see jeep with new mags & tyres.

happy crawling,
Nikhil
Old 13th July 2010, 18:00   #963
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
by looking at your 340 i can only say 'dil garden garden ho gaya' .
I don't know the meaning of that expression, but I get the idea.

Just spoke to the mechanic, today he is taking the Jeep home for road trials. Ready for pickup day after tomorrow. I guess I'll pick it up this weekend, finally.
Old 13th July 2010, 20:29   #964
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Samurai: Great restoration job from the looks of it. Coorg is the one place I've noticed where all SUVs are 4WD - from CJs to CLs to MMs to Invaders to Boleros. No wonder you wanted to get your restoration done there.

I'd have loved to spend some time at your mechanic's place, I'm sure it would have been a learning experience.
Old 13th July 2010, 23:32   #965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I don't know the meaning of that expression, but I get the idea.
this line is used by GG (the bad man Gulshan Grover) in the movie International killadi .
Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-gulshangrover-320x24020090701.jpg
the villain (GG) uses this phrase when he likes something very much (you know what i mean).
as i liked your 340 .

EDIT: may be you will need some extra lemon & chills this weekend.
Old 21st July 2010, 00:51   #966
Team-BHP Support

It's Back!

Mahindra CJ340 joins Team-BHP family-darkstormysnoopy.jpg

It was 11:30PM, rain was lashing very hard, and I was fully wet. And I had to abandon my newly rebuilt Jeep on the highway, at the middle of nowhere. Does this story sound familiar?

Let's start the story from the beginning. As many of you knew, I was supposed to pickup the Jeep on Saturday. However, my younger son was having fever since Wednesday, and my wife and older son fell ill on Friday night thanks to food poisoning. With three patients at home I had to postpone the trip. But the family recovered over the weekend, so I rescheduled the delivery to Monday.

Monday I reached the garage around 2PM, the Jeep was ready and waiting. The final polish was being applied to the paint. Checked the bills, found it satisfactory, and made the final payment. I started off at 3:20PM on a 212Km drive back home. Fueled up at Murnad so that I can avoid going via Madikeri.

When I parked at one place, I applied the brand new parking brakes to test its efficacy, it felt good enough. About 15kms later, I stopped again to make a call, and decided to apply brakes again. But to my horror I realised that I hadn't released the parking brakes last time. I had driven with the parking brake on and had not even felt the drag. How is that possible?

This repeated a few more times. Since I am not used to parking brakes on the Jeep, I forgot to remove it every time. But everytime I didn't feel the brake while driving. Very strange.

Few things that I noticed in the initial 20kms:

The engine temperature stayed just below 60C all the time. Then it occurred to me that they haven't put the thermostat back. Once I started descending the ghats, it got ridiculous, the temp stayed firmly at 40C until I reached the plains. I later checked with the mechanic about it, he said the thermostat had gone bad during the 4 months of engine inactivity.

The battery current indicator remained firmly to the right, towards the positive. Generally it should come to center pretty fast, so this was confusing. I even started wondering whether this is means charging or draining. Since only electrical diesel pump and wiper were drawing battery power, I didn't understand why this is happening. Then I did a test which I remembered from while back. At idle, I pressed the accelerator, it went further right, that means it is charging. I guess the battery had drained quite a bit over the 4 months, so it was happily charging after a long time. Eventually the indicator came back to zero after driving for 150kms.

Now regarding the build. I couldn't hear a single rattle throughout the drive, no matter how bad the road. This Jeep used to be quite a rattler, noise coming from everywhere. Now, there is nothing but the engine noise.

Driving condition was very treacherous, it was raining practically all the way, only the intensity kept varying. At one point, the rain noise almost completely drowned the engine noise. I had to really strain to hear the engine noise over the rain. But this is how it rains in these places. So I kept driving without stopping for rain.

The CJ340 which has XDP engine and 5.38 axle ratio, drives like performance car at speeds below 70kmph, hard to push it beyond that. It can out-torque most petrol cars and non-CRDi diesel cars at lower speeds. And with high-stance, it can put fear of god into hatches when it passes next to them in the twisting roads.

After about 200kms of hard driving, while I was about 12 kms from home, the oil pressure indicator lights up, the oil pressure meter hits zero, and I lose total power in the engine. All symptoms point to total loss of engine oil. I quickly come to a stop on the side and switch off the engine.

To be continued...
Old 21st July 2010, 02:30   #967
BHPian

Congratulations for getting the awesome beauty home, or at least 12 kms away from home. Just eagerly waiting for the story to unfold, so please ensure that this wait is not too long.
Old 21st July 2010, 06:49   #968
Distinguished - BHPian

HINGLISH: Kya yaar is story ka suspension to bahut strong hai...........!!!!!!

Story telling at best.
Old 21st July 2010, 11:47   #969
BHPian

Was happy to start reading and then towards the end ...OMG oil pressue so low and no power from the engine??

I sincerely hope that it was an electrical probem and the engine was'nt running dry!

Tense moments will continue until your next update. Please tell us soon, what happenend.

Last edited by jeeva : 21st July 2010 at 11:48.
Old 21st July 2010, 12:37   #970
Senior - BHPian

1) The hand brake story reminded me of mine. But I managed to fill the jeep with white smoke within 1.5Kms of driving with the hand brakes on. Never used them since...

2) Oil Pressure story - SCARY... Eagerly awaiting. Hope all is well
Old 21st July 2010, 12:45   #971
Team-BHP Support

Hello! what is this new suspense thing thats cropping up with story telling?? Atleast show some snaps of the jeep!
Old 21st July 2010, 16:33   #972
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Hello! what is this new suspense thing thats cropping up with story telling?? Atleast show some snaps of the jeep!
Lol i swear ! Sharath please put up pics - I'm sure you've shot a lot of 'em. Eagerly awaiting the climax
Old 21st July 2010, 16:37   #973
BHPian

Samurai,

Stop keeping people under suspense, this is not acceptable.

We are reading this story and it ends abruptly, not done.

Last edited by malgudi : 21st July 2010 at 16:38. Reason: added info
Old 21st July 2010, 17:19   #974
Distinguished - BHPian

Here it was not pouring rain. I was peering at the brightly lit console. Praying for power outage not to strike today. Pressing F5 to see if any updates come up. And then it happened....

Harakiri - quite like Samurai San story ishtyle - I had to close my laptop lid and go home for the day. <SIGH>
Old 21st July 2010, 17:31   #975
BHPian

good and inspiring stuff. Now even i am dreaming of owning a jeep soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks