Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2019, 11:39   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
Hey guys. Need help!
I can provide some tips based on my hunt, subsequent purchase, and eventual sale of a '99 model King carb. As Jaggu said, it is a very simple and hence, extremely reliable vehicle but parts related to the carb are really hard to come by. When I got mine restored, it stood idle for about a month while my mech was trying to procure parts for the carb like float, jets, etc. Moreover, it is a 28 years old car and is bound to have age related issues like rusting, etc.

I would sincerely suggest looking for a more recent example, preferably MPFI, even if you have to raise your budget. All the best
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 12:27   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys.
Need help!
How is the spares availability for a '91 MG410 HT?
The reason i ask is because i have come across one for a sale.
Current owner claims it was civilian owned all its life and run only 9500kms, comes factory fitted with an AC, comes with lockable hubs right out of the factory which still work...

..I don't plan on using this for specifically offroading, but driving to offbeat places, bad roads that i will encounter, occasional camping.
I had a MG410 for about 15 years and, as far as I can recollect, it does not come with a factory fitted AC.

Some points to note:
1) Check for transmission noise in 2WD and 4WD mode.
2) Since the engine is small and AC is a BIG load, check for engine compression as well as oil in exhaust.
3) Suspension parts can be managed (from used car parts shop)

Good luck with your search !
AutoSphere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 17:31   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys.
Need help!
How is the spares availability for a '91 MG410 HT?
The reason i ask is because i have come across one for a sale.
Current owner claims it was civilian owned all its life and run only 9500kms, comes factory fitted with an AC, comes with lockable hubs right out of the factory which still work.
I am being extremely cautious, taking this with a pan of salt!
Have not seen the gypsy in person yet, and have asked the owner for pics of the RC, Insurance, etc
If documents check out then i might go and have a look.
This will not be my primary vehicle.
I don't plan on using this for specifically offroading, but driving to offbeat places, bad roads that i will encounter, occasional camping.
In addition to all the other advice check whether it is a factory fitted AC or not. It did come with a factory fitted AC, but those were not common.
Drive it. By today's standards it is woefully underpowered.
With its high thirst and small tank, range is a problem.
Is transfer/ sale of a vehicle which does not meet current emission norms anywhere in the country allowed?

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 17:57   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Plenty of Gypsy’s in Kerala and enough part availability. Though non wear and tear parts might have a day or two wait times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Is transfer/ sale of a vehicle which does not meet current emission norms anywhere in the country allowed?
Yes. I think only in metros it’s not allowed. I just bought the good ‘ol 93 model Mahindra 540.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 20:36   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
I can provide some tips based on my hunt, subsequent purchase, and eventual sale of a '99 model King carb. As Jaggu said, it is a very simple and hence, extremely reliable vehicle but parts related to the carb are really hard to come by. When I got mine restored, it stood idle for about a month while my mech was trying to procure parts for the carb like float, jets, etc. Moreover, it is a 28 years old car and is bound to have age related issues like rusting, etc.

I would sincerely suggest looking for a more recent example, preferably MPFI, even if you have to raise your budget. All the best
I started of looking for an MPFI and came across this carb'd version.
My preference is for MPFIs but i have come across some obnoxious asking prices for MPFIs.
I am getting the '08-'11 Grand Vitaras for lesser prices when compared to prices quoted for gypsy king MPFI of 01'-08''.

i am tempted to switch over to the GV but the thought this is not going to be my primary car and cost of spares of GV makes me comeback to the gypsy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Somehow I got it as 2001 in my head ya 91 would be carb'ed. Yes you can share the pics but more importantly, take it to a good dealership and ask them to give you mechanical evaluation of the vehicle. Check for rust since it is a old vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSphere View Post
I had a MG410 for about 15 years and, as far as I can recollect, it does not come with a factory fitted AC.

Some points to note:
1) Check for transmission noise in 2WD and 4WD mode.
2) Since the engine is small and AC is a BIG load, check for engine compression as well as oil in exhaust.
3) Suspension parts can be managed (from used car parts shop)

Good luck with your search !
Quote:
In addition to all the other advice check whether it is a factory fitted AC or not. It did come with a factory fitted AC, but those were not common.
Drive it. By today's standards it is woefully underpowered.
With its high thirst and small tank, range is a problem.

Regards
Sutripta
So
my check list will be
1) Check for Rust
2) Check for transmission noise in 2WD and 4WD mode.
3) Check AC Specifications
4) Check Suspension
5) Check Steering for abnormal pull / drifting
6) Electricals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Plenty of Gypsy’s in Kerala and enough part availability. Though non wear and tear parts might have a day or two wait times.
Yes. I think only in metros it’s not allowed. I just bought the good ‘ol 93 model Mahindra 540.
Its allowed as long as it passes the fitness test.

Posting pics.Not sure if its the latest.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-01cab2c583a041efaa59017bc14c86f2.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-b1a0e5cf106c43b1a7f189489a132690.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-959dd5cb922c4a50bdff3eedf0271225.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-6555b1374fda409ab6e193b7f7a94c43.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-48752178719f424f99f2575283891dbf.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-c072bb0af0d046439a26a9741bbc546d.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-7fd66461276042c6aa27be5c055ee5a1.jpg  

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-photo20190814205735.jpg  

Last edited by iron : 14th August 2019 at 21:04. Reason: Posting pics
Old 14th August 2019, 21:48   #96
Senior - BHPian

Add
steering vibrations.
Gear lever vibrations.
Vehicle not tracking true.
Water leakage and associated rust, esp around scuttle.
Bent axle tubes.
Overheating.
Instruments not working properly.
Rear door rattling.

If parts are available, basically a very simple and reliable vehicle.

Reason for the emphasis on factory fitted AC - if a Gypsy is used the way a Gypsy can (and sometimes should) be used the mechanic fitted ones will give trouble. Esp mounting brackets cracking. Leading to other problems.

Regards
Sutripta

Last edited by Sutripta : 14th August 2019 at 21:49.
Sutripta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 08:38   #97
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Posting pics.Not sure if its the latest.
I thought you mentioned W model. This is old narrow body. And it seems like it was an auction vehicle from the airlines. Don’t proceed unless it’s coming for less than 20-30k INR
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 09:52   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Add
steering vibrations.
Gear lever vibrations.
Vehicle not tracking true.
Water leakage and associated rust, esp around scuttle.
Bent axle tubes.
Overheating.
Instruments not working properly.
Rear door rattling.

If parts are available, basically a very simple and reliable vehicle.

Reason for the emphasis on factory fitted AC - if a Gypsy is used the way a Gypsy can (and sometimes should) be used the mechanic fitted ones will give trouble. Esp mounting brackets cracking. Leading to other problems.

Regards
Sutripta
Will add the above to the checklist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
I thought you mentioned W model. This is old narrow body. And it seems like it was an auction vehicle from the airlines. Don’t proceed unless it’s coming for less than 20-30k INR
So as per nomenclature is this a MG410? or was there a model before this also ?

Will the RC mention the owner history if its a auction vehicle?

Did some hunting for spares boodmo/orion lists gypsy spares but those are for models '95 and above only.

Came across a website mgexportsindia.com which lists itself to be based out of ludhiana catering to spares SJ410, SJ413.
Old 15th August 2019, 12:06   #99
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)

Iron:

From your pics I can see this is an old MG410 970cc Narrow Track Gypsy. This had both soft top and hard
Top versions. It also came with 4WD as standard and with AISIN Free Wheeling Hubs in front with 4WD lock mechanism. It had a plain bonnet. 4 speed gearbox. Plus 4WD transfer case.
And drum brakes in front and rear. The radiator had a jeep like 10 'slat vertical grille.

This was produced between 1985-1990-92 ish at which time they introduced the MG410W in which they had increased the track width a bit.
This also had the same F10A 970cc engine. Same engine basically as the Maruti 1000. These 970 cc engines were only able to develop around 45Bhp power. This variant also came in soft top and hard top options and 4WD as standard and had the AISIN free wheeling hubs in front with the 4WD lock mechanism. 4 Speed gearbox. Plus 4WD Transfer case. Same flat bonnet and 10 vertical slat radiator grille. Same drum brakes front and rear.

Then in 1995 they introduced the Carburetted G13BA engine 1.3 litre - same as the Maruti Esteem. This was the very first Gypsy King MG413W. This developed 65BHP. 5 speed gearbox and 4WD transfer case.
This Gypsy model did have soft top and hard top options but they dispensed with the AISIN free wheeling hubs in a bid to increase fuel efficiency by a few kmpl.
This is where I do believe they introduced front disc brakes and brake booster for the vehicle to stop better with the increased power engine. And the bonnet had a bulge along with horizontal front plastic slats on the radiator grille.

In the year 2000 they introduced the Gypsy King MPFi version. G13BB engine. MG413W. 5 Speed gearbox and 4WD transfer case. And this was a 16 valve engine. This came with the Catalytic Converter etc because of the emission norms. This developed 83 BHP. This also came in both soft top and hard top options and here also they had knocked off the AiSIN free wheeling hubs. This version also had the brake booster and disc brakes in front and the bulgey bonnet and the horizontal radiator plastic grille.

Inside this variant there were two different types of Exhaust Manifolds and therefore differently shaped heat shield covers.

The first type was in operation from 2000-2010 and the second type 2010 onwards. Basically in keeping with differing emission norms.

I am sure that if you look around some more you will find a decent Gypsy King MPFi model which develops 83 BHP and consequently is far more fun to own and drive.

I would suggest a hard top simply for lockable security and efficiency of AC, should you plan on fitting one.

There is however a greatly different feeling of pleasure in owning a soft top - one of the things being that it is much lighter in feel and handling.

I have had an AC in my old hardtop MG410W but believe me when the AC was on, the vehicle was very sluggish and drank fuel.

In an MPFi version the AC related sluggishness will be a bit less but it will still drink fuel.

I am not an advocate of Power Steering in a Gypsy simply because the Electric Power Steering loses feel at higher speeds and the Gypsy because of its height and lightness can become a little unstable at higher speeds and in cases of this nature, power steering is more a bane than a boon.

But the Gypsy is a brilliant 'fun' vehicle to have and own and drive because somehow as its own ad tagline used to say, 'There's a Gypsy
In Everyone' ...it is truly a lovely toy to have as your second or third vehicle.

If there is any other info you need please ask.

And for repairs and service if in Bangalore you can consider Ranjith of RAC Garage- I send my Gypsy there and am happy with their work.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 15th August 2019 at 12:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2019, 19:59   #100
Senior - BHPian

^^^
The 410 came with disc brakes in front. (At least mine did!) No servo though.
The van had drums in front.

Regards
Sutripta
Sutripta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 06:49   #101
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
^^^

Regards
Sutripta

I thought the discs in front along with boosters were introduced only in the 1995 era with the carb 1.3 King.

My old 1988 model 970cc 410 narrow Track soft top had drums in front if I remember right.

Lets ask Keroo here - whether his red 1986 narrow track soft top indeed has drums or discs in front.
Old 16th August 2019, 09:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Lets ask Keroo here - whether his red 1986 narrow track soft top indeed has drums or discs in front.
1986 MG410.I am told by my aunt who bought this new, that when the Gypsy was first launched in 1985 it was offered only to the armed forces and to foreigners!! It was only made available to the public sometime in 1986 and this is from one of the first batches.

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-mg410front-brake.jpg

Drums at the front

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-mg410ac.jpg

Factory fitted AC which cools rather nicely. Note the cute aftermarket RPM gauge fitted by my late uncle

Need help: Buying a used 4WD (Jeep/Gypsy)-mg410ac-comp.jpg

I can't tell what make this unit is
keroo1099 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 11:03   #103
BHPian

Quote:
^^^

Regards
Sutripta
Mine was a MG410 1989 model and had disc brakes in front (of-course no brake booster). Added an AC but as everyone knows, there was a huge drop in power.

Last edited by AutoSphere : 16th August 2019 at 11:04. Reason: typo
Old 16th August 2019, 11:16   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
1986 MG410.I am told by my aunt who bought this new, that when the Gypsy was first launched in 1985 it was offered only to the armed forces and to foreigners!! It was only made available to the public sometime in 1986 and this is from one of the first batches.

Attachment 1905540

Drums at the front

Attachment 1905539

Factory fitted AC which cools rather nicely. Note the cute aftermarket RPM gauge fitted by my late uncle

Attachment 1905538

I can't tell what make this unit is
If you still have the vehicle, could you pls. post a picture from outside with rim removed.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th August 2019, 11:22   #105
BHPian

Quote:
If you still have the vehicle, could you pls. post a picture from outside with rim removed.

Regards
Sutripta
Sorry for the confusion. The gypsy has Discs in front, but the caliper is positioned on top.
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed