Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2008, 18:25   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabareesh View Post
Total Cost of aquisition - 95,000 /-

Please do let me know your thoughts on this.
Congrats on the Jeep! I think you should factor 20-25% more into the budget because invariably, there will be a few things more to fix than what was planned. Happens all the time!!!cheers:
Old 19th October 2008, 18:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Cost of registration and 3rd party insurance - 4,500 - 5,000
What is the registration requirement in Ambernath? Can we register non-BS3 vehicles as private? Or you are registering with your Native address?
Old 19th October 2008, 20:03   #18
Jay
BHPian

Hey Congrats on the buy Sabareesh, For 95k you'll have a restored and properly working 4X4 Jeep, thats nice.
Old 19th October 2008, 20:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_aqua View Post
You gotta forester. Congrats buddy!cheers:
Ha! That's funny!
Old 19th October 2008, 22:00   #20
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you do to restore your Jeep, leave the "Maharashtr Shaasan" untouched. It could come handy
Old 19th October 2008, 22:06   #21
BANNED

Sabareesh, Dont get into costing, It'll never help- its like pouring buckets of water in a well,the well water never rises up.

Start doing it cosmetically proper first(remove rust and get a nice coat of paint) and parallely go for some engine and gearbox work.

Would be glued to this thread.
Old 19th October 2008, 23:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Can you please break in the detail of Rs.60000/-. Other member interested may get an idea of such a restoration. Or you may get good advice fro jeepers for the actual/proper cost.

I think its just a transfer of owner and not registration, As forest dept normally use usual state registration system unlike army which has its own number system.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:43   #23

congrats on your buy!! and best of luck for your project... I am planning to do up my mm540 in bangalore so will be following your thread quite keenly!!
Old 20th October 2008, 10:54   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
What is the registration requirement in Ambernath? Can we register non-BS3 vehicles as private? Or you are registering with your Native address?
@offroad_maniac, I can register a non-BS3 vehicle as a private vehicle in Ambarnath. The papers have already gone to my RTO agent for ownership transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Whatever you do to restore your Jeep, leave the "Maharashtra Shaasan" untouched. It could come handy
Can't stop laughing after reading your suggestion... that was the first thing I wanted to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Sabareesh, Dont get into costing, It'll never help- its like pouring buckets of water in a well,the well water never rises up.

Start doing it cosmetically proper first(remove rust and get a nice coat of paint) and parallely go for some engine and gearbox work.

Would be glued to this thread.
Thanks for the advice Pavan. The work has already started on the Body. Would visit the garage in a day or 2 to take pics of the restoration process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Can you please break in the detail of Rs.60,000/-. Other members interested may get an idea of such a restoration. Or you may get good advice from jeepers for the actual/proper cost.

I think its just a transfer of owner and not registration, As forest dept normally use usual state registration system unlike army which has its own number system.
SirAlec, As you said correctly, this is just the transfer of the ownership. Its costing peanuts as the vehicle belongs to the same state.

Here is the thread which is a ready reference for me.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-of...tml#post932033

Apart from this I am also glued to Samurai's "How to live with a CJ340 or similar JEEP" & V 16's "A JEEP at last... now what" threads.

Thanks for all your kind words & advice guys. Would post the pics of the restoration process within a day or 2.
Old 20th October 2008, 11:30   #25
Senior - BHPian

Buddy nice to see your enthusiasm man. That jeep surely needs lots of time but if thats available than it can become a beauty. Also decide on what you want it to be like before plunging into the job. This will be watched frequently so do keep posting
Old 21st October 2008, 18:44   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

I have read your PM. Please DO NOT do anything. I will guide you in totality. I am PMing you.

best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Old 21st October 2008, 18:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The work has already started on the Body. Would visit the garage in a day or 2 to take pics of the restoration process.

Would post the pics of the restoration process within a day or 2.
@Sabareesh,

Its time for some pics yaar. Have your mechanic stripped your Jeep? Is the sandblasting / rust treatment started?
Post some more pics please.

All the best for the restoration. TC
Old 22nd October 2008, 07:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
I have read your PM. Please DO NOT do anything. I will guide you in totality. I am PMing you.

best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Hi,

would it not be nice if you could post the process of restoration on the forum so that all of us can benefit from that?

Ofcourse, thats if the owner is ok with it!
Old 22nd October 2008, 09:09   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok here goes - Sabareesh, you have bought yourself a CJ500D (not DI), 91" wheelbase 48" wheeltrack 4 wheel drive. This means that the engine is MD2350 IDI (indirect injection) with peak crankshaft speed of 2350 rpm. The transmission is 3 speed having standard torque reduction ratios. The axle ratio is 4.27:1 (47 teeth on the crown, 11 teeth on the pinion). The maximum speed in GVW condition (fully loaded) is 72 kmph. The clutch diameter is 9.25" and the clutch is actuated by a floor mounted pedal which operates a cross shaft located between the transmission casing and the chassis and held on ball studs at both ends. The cross shaft operates a small cable which pulls a fork to operate the pressure plate. The FIP is MICO inline with mechanically actuated rack. The brake master cylinder is situated on the RH chassis long member and there are drums all over. The steering gear box is just a worm and sector unit from XLO which is mounted on the RH long member, connecting to a bell crank on the front cross member which actuates the staaeing tie rods. There is nothing much to go wrong in the whole vehicle as there is nothing much in the first place. The odometer shows around 78000 kms which can mean 1,78000 kms also, but looking at the condition in the photographs, does not seem so.

Now for the restoration - please apply the cardinal rule - DO NOT OPEN TRANSMISSION / AXLES / STEERING / ENGINE / CLUTCH etc if they are working. They will continue to work forever if handled carefully. Don't waste your money unnecessarily. You had mentioned axle overhaul etc, therefore reminding you. You should not have started body restoration. As you said the jeep worked fine for around 8 kms means you should have taken it for a full wash and servicing and changed all oils. Then you should have used it for around 3 months to get the hang of it before starting anything. Anyways now that you have started it, best of luck. If you need any help, please let me know. I have PMd you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2008, 10:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:

best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Thanks Behram bhai, have received your PM, will call you by today evening if its ok with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
@Sabareesh,

Its time for some pics yaar. Have your mechanic stripped your Jeep? Is the sandblasting / rust treatment started?
Post some more pics please.

All the best for the restoration. TC
Alas, I could not visit the garage today. Even I am dying to see the JEEP. I checked with the garage guy, the paint is being scrapped, he has not touched anything else till now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi,

would it not be nice if you could post the process of restoration on the forum so that all of us can benefit from that?

Ofcourse, thats if the owner is ok with it!
I am more than ok with it headers

Gaining advice from people rich in knowledge like Uday Sir, Behram bhai, Arka, Shams & others I am more than confident that the JEEP would soon be back to glory.

Quote:
Ok here goes - Sabareesh, you have bought yourself a CJ500D (not DI), 91" wheelbase 48" wheeltrack 4 wheel drive. This means that the engine is MD2350 IDI (indirect injection) with peak crankshaft speed of 2350 rpm. The transmission is 3 speed having standard torque reduction ratios. The axle ratio is 4.27:1 (47 teeth on the crown, 11 teeth on the pinion). The maximum speed in GVW condition (fully loaded) is 72 kmph. The clutch diameter is 9.25" and the clutch is actuated by a floor mounted pedal which operates a cross shaft located between the transmission casing and the chassis and held on ball studs at both ends. The cross shaft operates a small cable which pulls a fork to operate the pressure plate. The FIP is MICO inline with mechanically actuated rack. The brake master cylinder is situated on the RH chassis long member and there are drums all over. The steering gear box is just a worm and sector unit from XLO which is mounted on the RH long member, connecting to a bell crank on the front cross member which actuates the steering tie rods. There is nothing much to go wrong in the whole vehicle as there is nothing much in the first place. The odometer shows around 78000 kms which can mean 1,78000 kms also, but looking at the condition in the photographs, does not seem so.

Now for the restoration - please apply the cardinal rule - DO NOT OPEN TRANSMISSION / AXLES / STEERING / ENGINE / CLUTCH etc if they are working. They will continue to work forever if handled carefully. Don't waste your money unnecessarily. You had mentioned axle overhaul etc, therefore reminding you. You should not have started body restoration. As you said the jeep worked fine for around 8 kms means you should have taken it for a full wash and servicing and changed all oils. Then you should have used it for around 3 months to get the hang of it before starting anything. Anyways now that you have started it, best of luck. If you need any help, please let me know. I have PMd you.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
Phew... that was something awesome..I wouldn't have known this much about the JEEP even if I had it with me since childhood.

Thanks for the valueable inputs Behram ji. I will call you today by evening if its ok with you.

As soon as I received your PM, i called up the garage guy and told him not to touch anything (TRANSMISSION / AXLES / STEERING / ENGINE / CLUTCH) as they were working fine. My main reason to get the body & electrical work started was Rust & no working electrical functionality in the vehicle.

The floor was damaged to quite an extent and was chipping badly. Seats were mostly torn and one could hardly sit. No electrical systems like Lights, Signal indicators, horn were working.

Thanks so much for your valueable advice. I will surely proceed as per your instructions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks