Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:21   #256
BHPian

Awesome pics Somen. 1200kms back to back. That is one very reliable jeep restoration. Good job guys.

Cheers
Ankit

P.S. - Somen did you make you wife sit on a bean bag for the entire trip?
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:31   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSlow View Post
Awesome pics Somen. 1200kms back to back. That is one very reliable jeep restoration. Good job guys.
Cheers
Ankit
P.S. - Somen did you make you wife sit on a bean bag for the entire trip?
Thanks Ankit. Yeah it was a 400 km trip last to last weekend and 800+ the last weekend! Too much craziness but had to have some travel before the winters are gone As per the seat, well unfortunately yes, but she told it was more comfortable than the front seat! Will put some good rear seats soon.
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:41   #258
Team-BHP Support

Wow, I miss snow. And driving open top Jeep in snow. I can't even imagine that. I have to project my current Jeep experience to earlier snow experience, my mind is blown away.

The photographs are amazing, the sight of open Jeep in snow is just...wow! Glad to know your rebuild has turned out so reliable.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:00   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
..And driving open top Jeep in snow. I can't even imagine that. I have to project my current Jeep experience to earlier snow experience, my mind is blown away....
Indeed its such a feeling i can't express in words. Bad that i couldn't capture the video properly when renegade was drifting the jeep in snow! I hope he finds some old photographs of his CJ 3b which he took to Hatu peak which was totally snowed out.

Quote:
..The photographs are amazing, the sight of open Jeep in snow is just...wow!
This coming from someone like you is worth cherishing. Pics were clicked by me and my wife and good that those impressed you.

Quote:
Glad to know your rebuild has turned out so reliable.
Thanks, that was always the intention. I hope it will be maintained.
Old 3rd February 2010, 15:07   #260
BHPian

Kandisa,

First and foremost, congratulations on the restoration. It is indeed a pristine restoration work and the Jeep looks fantastic. The pictures of the jeep in snowclad roads are absolutely mind blowing.

Enjoy your new found Jeep.

Cheers,
Old 3rd February 2010, 17:03   #261

I am feeling the chills while watching your jeep in snow. I wish I was close to the mountains and snow like you. Would love to take my jeep there one day for sure.

Btw, that is one heck of a jeep and you should be proud that it did such a wonderful journey without any issues.

I have a question for you: How many layers were you padded up?
Old 4th February 2010, 11:04   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Kandisa,First and foremost, congratulations on the restoration. It is indeed a pristine restoration work and the Jeep looks fantastic. The pictures of the jeep in snowclad roads are absolutely mind blowing....
Thanks a ton. You can say in a way it was a dream come true, as we 've always fantasized to take the jeep to such a place when the restoration was going on. My idea of a jeep was always an allrounder vehicle that can cruise comfortably at decent speeds on the highway and reach the offbeat places with ease.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab3d View Post
I am feeling the chills while watching your jeep in snow. I wish I was close to the mountains and snow like you. Would love to take my jeep there one day for sure.
Btw, that is one heck of a jeep and you should be proud that it did such a wonderful journey without any issues.
I have a question for you: How many layers were you padded up?
Thanks and you should definitely try that, it will be a lifetime experience. And i do agree that the long distance and touring capability of the vehicle did impress us a lot. Will be going for some upgrades here and there gradually to maintain a top notch reliability. As per the layers, well we had thermals (top & bottom), swade shirt and jacket..so 3 layers you can say
Old 9th February 2010, 17:46   #263
Senior - BHPian

@Kandisa how did your tires perform in snow?

Spike
Old 10th February 2010, 00:43   #264
BHPian

This trip might have increased your confidence level on your jeep for long drives. The open top jeep in snow looks cool, don't know how the passengers were feeling though as wind chill makes a lot of difference.

Last edited by Amar82 : 10th February 2010 at 00:44.
Old 16th February 2010, 10:18   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
@Kandisa how did your tires perform in snow?
We didn't 've any problems as per as traction was concerned. There was hardly any sliding or lack of control. Overall these tires are great for an A/T kind of requirement with minimal road noise, instant braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
This trip might have increased your confidence level on your jeep for long drives. The open top jeep in snow looks cool, don't know how the passengers were feeling though as wind chill makes a lot of difference.
Offcourse yes. This was something in my mind when i decided to go for a jeep: a "go anywhere-anytime" 4x4 vehicle that can go places without fuss. In fact finally when we reached the place in the middle of snow in the open top jeep (after covering around 380 kms) without any trouble, i realized every rupee spent on the vehicle is justified. This was some experience which was possible "ONLY IN A JEEP". Though the temperature was pretty low thankfully there was no wind, so we managed with our clothings. And we returned from the place just before the sunset as the temperature drops drastically once it is dark.
Old 17th February 2010, 14:23   #266
Senior - BHPian

Was this place deoban? The hotel is Snow view Chakrata - the route is Paonta - so it must be Deoban. No?
Old 17th February 2010, 16:31   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Was this place deoban? The hotel is Snow view Chakrata - the route is Paonta - so it must be Deoban. No?
You are right. We actually went further on the 'road' (if can be termed so...!) towards Mundali after crossing Deovan.
Old 24th February 2010, 05:03   #268
BANNED

i should have checked this thread earlier. i guess i missed this as i am a FWD person coming to the 4WD world slowly. Somen, that is some great restoration there and i am glad Mandeep was there love the video.. slow down...slow down.. now we are going to stop!
Old 25th February 2010, 10:03   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
i should have checked this thread earlier. i guess i missed this as i am a FWD person coming to the 4WD world slowly. Somen, that is some great restoration there and i am glad Mandeep was there
There is always a transition time Thanks and yes he has always been there.
Quote:
...love the video.. slow down...slow down.. now we are going to stop!
Actually that video was shot when we test drove the jeep on road for some considerable duration for the first time and i was not much familiar with Mandeep's driving style, so it was bit tense for me...!!! But now i am more comfortable as i have already seen him driving around 100 in the hills in car and smoothly overtaking the mighty SUVs even with the jeep on turns! Also i know it for a fact that though he is fast, he is not rash and very safe. He is one hell of a driver and if someday i get to acquire driving skills anything closer to his present standard i will be more than happy.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:55   #270
Senior - BHPian

Last weekend we made one more trip on the jeep to a place which probably is a 'must go' for any nature lover, the Jim Corbett National Park. This time apart from me and wife, my brother and mom were also there. For me it was another new experience as i didn't drive through such type of jungle before. Due to shortage of time we went to only one core area, the Bijrani zone. And we liked the Sitabani reserve forest area so much that we went there twice, once in the evening and once in early morning. The jeep was a major attraction for the gypsy drivers over there as they have hardly seen any petrol 4x4 apart from gypsy inside Corbett. Approx. 700 km of highway drive and another 100+ on the trails...the jeep lived upto its reliability and went everywhere smoothly. Only in couple of occasions i engaged the 4x4 to be on the safe side, but otherwise it was fine in 2wd mode.
Overall another great jeeping experience for me and wife and a hell of an experience for my brother who is now hooked to jeep so much that he is planning to go for one by saving money from his medical internship starting next month! Some photos, though the quality is not that good this time as the lens needs some major clean up and many of the pics were taken by my brother who was a first timer in using the camera.

Bought a pair of Hella Rallye 1000 lights of German make:

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06112.jpg

And finally a sticker for the jeep:

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06113.jpg

And a series of photos of the jeep in the jungle. All i can say, being in such a place in one's own open top 4x4 silent vehicle is something really worth cherishing.

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06200.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06203.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06232.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06302.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06308.jpg

Attachment 303531

Attachment 303532

Attachment 303533

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06357.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06374.jpg

The story of my jeep: MM 440-dsc06377.jpg

Last edited by Samurai : 9th March 2010 at 14:37. Reason: edited as requested