Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2009, 09:27   #46
BHPian

Just a naive question for the experienced off-roaders. Will these tyres be good on sand as they have a large foot and provide lot of floatation.

I know following abbreviations

AT- All terrian
HT- Highway track
MT-Mud terrian

But i don't know the following
ST-?
GT-?

The above tyres are GT.

Moderators let me know if i am asking in wrong thread (but the context is for my gypsy)
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-200902081350521.jpg  

Last edited by khan_sultan : 5th June 2009 at 09:45. Reason: back to back posts
Old 7th June 2009, 10:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Actually the workshop is owned by a distant relative of ours and he maintains all our rest of vehicles, for last ten years he has been very honest and just used to charge us for spare's only and no labour charges but we have to force him to accept the labour charges and we give him whatever we feel is right but he never demands. So i am pretty confident that Gypsy is in good hands.

Amar
hi amar,where is this workshop in ludhiana?i am from ludhiana and keep on shuttling between ludhiana and delhi every month.i would love to see your gypsy as i am also planning to buy one.

cheers

mandeep
Old 7th June 2009, 15:00   #48
BHPian

Mandeep, nice to see some bhpian from ludhiana.
The workshop is between park plaza and aarti chowk (almost close to aatri chowk) on the park plaza side. Its called Dev motors, the guy name is "Mintu". Use can use my reference and u can rest assured about the mechanical work and you will never be duped. They know my name as "Laddi".

My Gypsy has gone for painting, and once that is done. It will be there for rest of engine, interior and AC fixes.
Old 7th June 2009, 21:13   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Mandeep, nice to see some bhpian from ludhiana.
The workshop is between park plaza and aarti chowk (almost close to aatri chowk) on the park plaza side. Its called Dev motors, the guy name is "Mintu". Use can use my reference and u can rest assured about the mechanical work and you will never be duped. They know my name as "Laddi".

My Gypsy has gone for painting, and once that is done. It will be there for rest of engine, interior and AC fixes.
I could figure out the place by looking at some pics you uploaded.its quite near to one of my cousin's place where i am usually stationed at,in south city.last time i was in ludhiana we had an otr which consisted 4jeeps,let me know if you are interested,will hook up,why dont you go for a SOA or coil setup for your gypsy?by the way,who is doing the body work and paint?euro is the best,i got my jeep done long time back from talwandi and he really messed it up and charged me a bomb.A very close friend of mine "gotzuk" has a very clean and very tastefully done up gypsy with ac and fiberglass half cab custom made,i have been in his gypsy on various trips with ac,since then i have been thinking of getting one for myself.anyway nice to know you mate.

cheers

mandeep

Last edited by renegade : 7th June 2009 at 21:19.
Old 8th June 2009, 01:30   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
.last time i was in ludhiana we had an otr which consisted 4jeeps,let me know if you are interested,will hook up,by the way,who is doing the body work and paint?euro is the best
mandeep
Mandeep didn't knew the people had passion for OTR's in ludhiana, though there are lot of jeep there but mostly they are bling-bling with 4X4 transfer case removed and toyota 2c engine's. Definatley when i am india i will make sure i don't miss any OTR(Delhi, ludhiana or chandigarh).

Regarding the paint, i am not that techincal, the guy told me they were going for 2K. Don't know what that is.

Quote:
why dont you go for a SOA or coil setup for your gypsy?

mandeep
Can you explain a little bit what SOA or Coil Setup is? I am a Newbie.

Quote:
A very close friend of mine "gotzuk" has a very clean and very tastefully done up gypsy with ac and fiberglass half cab custom made

mandeep
Actually i printed the pics of Gotzuk's gypsy pics and sent them over to india to get the same color done. His gypsy is really nice.

I was reading Gotzuk's comments about A.C setup, he did place the cooling coils between differentials or something.If you have been in his Gypsy, How was the cooling?

And wanted to know where did he got his fibre cabin done?
Old 8th June 2009, 02:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you explain a little bit what SOA or Coil Setup is? I am a Newbie.
SOA = Spring over Axle

Lots of information on google.

Spring Over Axle (SOA) Conversion

Khan_Sultan did the conversion on his gypo a few months back : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-te...-complete.html

Last edited by bigman : 8th June 2009 at 02:08.
Old 8th June 2009, 05:11   #52
BHPian

Thanks Satnam,
I went through the thread of Khan Bhai doing SPoA for his Gypsy. After reading the thread I concluded:

1) I have to start off-roading with the stock and then slowly go for the extreme.
2) I have to physically monitor the whole project(its not straight forward), which is not possible right now.
3) I don't think this could be done by local mechanics(never saw any SPoA jeep or Gypsy) in ludhiana.

Are there mechanics in Dabwali or malout who specialize in this??

But my next project in line for my gypsy is to get a spring suspension and remove the leaf springs. I had a chat with one of the rallyist "Khushwant Randhawa" who told me the expense would be around 30-40k for the same.

Amar
Old 8th June 2009, 09:56   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Mandeep didn't knew the people had passion for OTR's in ludhiana, though there are lot of jeep there but mostly they are bling-bling with 4X4 transfer case removed and toyota 2c engine's. Definatley when i am india i will make sure i don't miss any OTR(Delhi, ludhiana or chandigarh).

Regarding the paint, i am not that techincal, the guy told me they were going for 2K. Don't know what that is.

Actually i printed the pics of Gotzuk's gypsy pics and sent them over to india to get the same color done. His gypsy is really nice.

I was reading Gotzuk's comments about A.C setup, he did place the cooling coils between differentials or something.If you have been in his Gypsy, How was the cooling?

And wanted to know where did he got his fibre cabin done?

hi amar, SOA is spring over axle,gypsy has leaf spring set up like the jeeps and are positioned under the axle tube,SOA will give you a lift which is extremely helpful for off-roading,where as coil set up is as the word "coil" says it,instead of leaf spring set up only coil springs and shocks are there on the axle tube,for coil set up one would require at least 3link set up as it holds the axle in its place when the torque is in action(when torque kicks in the rear differential,it intends to warp and rotates the diff a bit,in return you get a wheel hop)to eliminate a wheel hop link set up is required,and it has quite a good articulation on rocks,one can cruise effortlessly on small rocks or river bed at good speed as compared to leaf,i have seen one gypsy of a good friend of ours in shimla with coil suspension and a boleno 1.6 engine and man it flies on any kind of surface.GOTZUK is a very old dear friend of mine and he is driving my jeep in one of the pics in my garage.Infact we build our jeeps together and meet up almost everyday.GOTZUK designed his cabin himself and got it fiberglassed in delhi only and we made the tonnaue for it too,the ac in his gypsy is fantastic,its extremely effective,yes the cooling coil is in mid section of the gypsy.I am also getting into fiberglassing and starting someting real soon for jeeps and gypsy's ind ludhiana itself,i'm making a cabin for myself too.As far as 2k paint is concerned,its one of the best but be sure the paint process happens in a paint booth cause i know of ludhiana very well,there is only one person who could do real good paint but he is quite expensive,but worth the money,rest of them i have no clue.And as far as jeeps in ludhaina are concerned,well we have 4jeeps with us with 4x4(i have two with stock motors and trans) so we are not really into bling stuff but more on the offroading and long distance travel side.

cheers

mandeep

Last edited by renegade : 8th June 2009 at 10:01.
Old 8th June 2009, 10:34   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...But my next project in line for my gypsy is to get a spring suspension and remove the leaf springs.
I had a chat with one of the rallyist "Khushwant Randhawa" who told me the expense would be around 30-40k for the same.
Hi Amar, In the end it will be your decision but here are my 2 cents of unsolicited advice:
  • True Coil Conversion is NOT a joke/child play. There are precise calculations to be made and LOTS of factors play a role in those calculations. If any variable is out of place, you can kiss your Gypsy good bye -- it just won't be drivable
  • Coil conversion is an EXTREMELY involving job. Not one of those that can be just 'out-sourced'.
I wanted to do the Coil Conversion only and had researched everything that there is about it. But when time came for execution, I could not find capable enough garages to execute it. Also, parts sourcing/fabrication is NOT so easy. The 'honest' advice I git from professional rallyist/garages was that to drop that idea for now and instead do the SPoA.

A SPoA is 100 times simpler than the Coil over.
Old 8th June 2009, 18:11   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Hi Amar, In the end it will be your decision but here are my 2 cents of unsolicited advice:

The 'honest' advice I git from professional rallyist/garages was that to drop that idea for now and instead do the SPoA.

A SPoA is 100 times simpler than the Coil over.

i truly agree 100% with mr.khan on SOA,much hassle free to do as compared with coil setup,for your information we manufacture spindles and few other parts including lift kits and drop kits for various suv's for international market,so i gave my two cents on the basis of manufacturing experience,i have seen the coil suspension on parmar's gypsy and he has done a brilliant job and used the set for various recces including raid de himalya,hence it has a tried and tested setup.

mandeep
Old 9th June 2009, 01:21   #56
BHPian

Oh Mandeep, so you are actually into manufacuring of this stuff... Actually my need for buying Gypsy was mainly going on trails in national parks or going deep into untouched regions of Himalaya's + a little bit offoarding.

My last trip was going to Khumbalgarh fort and when i reached there i had to rent a gypsy to goto wildlife century as endavour 4X2 was not capable enough.

But my future plan is to make Gyspy a bit comfortable for longer rides.Can you let me know where did Parmar got his Gyspy done with Coil Setup and cost associated with it, if its on top of your head.

Khan Bhai , is you Gypsy after SPoA less stiff and ride quality improved in terms of suspension hardness .

Amar
Old 9th June 2009, 10:14   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Oh Mandeep, so you are actually into manufacuring of this stuff... Actually my need for buying Gypsy was mainly going on trails in national parks or going deep into untouched regions of Himalaya's + a little bit offoarding.

My last trip was going to Khumbalgarh fort and when i reached there i had to rent a gypsy to goto wildlife century as endavour 4X2 was not capable enough.

But my future plan is to make Gyspy a bit comfortable for longer rides.Can you let me know where did Parmar got his Gyspy done with Coil Setup and cost associated with it, if its on top of your head.

Khan Bhai , is you Gypsy after SPoA less stiff and ride quality improved in terms of suspension hardness .

Amar
amar, mr.parmar is the person who organises raid-de-himalya,and he has a huge setup in shimla,i can procure his number but you need to go there and get it done to your specific and his build quality is phenomenum,he is more close to gotzuk as he is also most of the times in shimla.i am too building my jeep for long distance.

mandeep
Old 9th June 2009, 11:25   #58
BHPian

I would really appreciate if you could PM me the contact details and then i can talk after that, i will personally meet him end of August on my way to Leh via Rampur.
Old 9th June 2009, 11:36   #59
BHPian

Quote:
I would really appreciate if you could PM me the contact details and then i can talk after that, i will personally meet him end of August on my way to Leh via Rampur.
amar i will surely pm you his number asap,and let gotzuk come back,you can take his reference too,he is good friends with vijay parmar.in meanwhile i will source his number.

ciao

mandeep
Old 9th June 2009, 11:41   #60
BHPian

Sure i will but don't know Gotzuk's real name.

Mandeep PM me you contact as well, would like to talk to you as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks