Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 11:04   #121
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Wouldn't it be great if there was a workshop somewhere that could multitask and listen to customers.
Hey Satnam,
Its not about the money or your lack of interest that makes rebuild feel impossible sometimes, its about "you have to keep knocking the door, and worst thing is that nobody even listens".

I was telling them that small small parts like windshield washer nosel, plastic side cladding will be hard to get off the shelf and let the dealers know before hand so that even if they don't have, atleast they can make it avaliable when we are assembling the gypsy.

Anyways does anyone know if sanden 507 compressor/superking coil is easily avaliable? or what is the best combination for gypsy?

Also what is the best way to make AC effective in soft top version?

Amar
Old 9th July 2009, 14:37   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
Also what is the best way to make AC effective in soft top version?
try this

Heat Shield / Insulation / Sound Deadener - Shadetree Online
Old 9th July 2009, 14:47   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUGAR View Post
Well what was that about wishes and horses and all zat?

When givin the car for the denting painting etc, you should have yanked out the seats and carried them over to the seat experts who would have done that for you.
Pretty hard to do yourself from a few thousand miles away especially when you are telling relatives the exact same thing but the workshop guys keep putting them off. In the end you get a bit fed up of repeating the same instructions and leave them to their trusted antiquated methods of doing things.

Quote:
Its not about the money or your lack of interest that makes rebuild feel impossible sometimes, its about "you have to keep knocking the door, and worst thing is that nobody even listens".
Totally agree its like banging your head against a brick wall at times.

Quote:
I was telling them that small small parts like windshield washer nosel, plastic side cladding will be hard to get off the shelf and let the dealers know before hand so that even if they don't have, atleast they can make it avaliable when we are assembling the gypsy.
Again another common observation applicable to lots of workshops. Told our mechanic I wanted new chain, glow plugs etc for engine. He reckoned they were available off the shelf. Local auto market guys (and even the dealer) laughed when they were asked for glow plugs, apparently no one changes them and they last forever (funny that everyone who has had the XD3P replaced locally claimed it was a bugger to start in the winter but none had ever changed the glow plugs, we get harsh winters in UK and never had a problem starting my old diesel car at -6 degrees) . In the end got my dad to pick some new ones up from BERU dealer in Ludhiana.

Last edited by bigman : 9th July 2009 at 15:05.
Old 24th July 2009, 12:52   #124
BHPian

After a long wait of 2 months finally i got some pics of my gypsy, still in the paint shop, i finally opted for maruti gypsy original "Bright Red" shade " computer code "ZCF", spent so much time finding the exact color code.

Still rubbing has to be done. Comments are always welcomed.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0127.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0134.jpg  

Last edited by Amar82 : 24th July 2009 at 13:05.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:05   #125
Senior - BHPian

the red colour does make a difference to the gypsy. its better to stick to the paint shade and colour code which are easy to source and match the vehicle! good job on the paint!

amar have you bought the front and rear bumpers as brand new along with the bars for the soft top?

how much have you spent on the new parts for the gypsy?

i notice a jutti hanging from the front bumper!

Last edited by Parm : 24th July 2009 at 17:06.
Old 24th July 2009, 20:35   #126
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parm View Post

amar have you bought the front and rear bumpers as brand new along with the bars for the soft top?

how much have you spent on the new parts for the gypsy?

i notice a jutti hanging from the front bumper!
Hi Parm,
Actually whenever there is need for money i just send in 10k chunks, indiviual breakdown will be given when i reach there but i was given some quotes on major parts:

1)Front bumper-- Rs.1100
2)Rear bumper--Rs.700
3)Dashboard--Rs.1500

Yes, both the bumpers are new but the bars for soft top have just been painted.Jutti, i don't have a clue who put that on it, most probably the paint guys and i was told whoever visits the workshop always enquire's about the gypsy because this is the first red gypsy in ludhiana

I am thinking if innova seats can be fitted in gypsy.Few more pics
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0138.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0140.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0141.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0136.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc_0131.jpg  

Old 24th July 2009, 20:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

well next time i see the red gypsy in Ldh, i know who owns it!

any reason why you chose red colour?

looks like you got good deal the spare parts!

nice to see even the engine bay was repainted, is its same with the underbody?

did you get some rubberised anti rust applied on the underbody as well as the floor of the gypsy?

hey remember this gypsy is not for SPEED, its for 4x4 offroad!

"you can go fast, i can go every where"!

Last edited by Parm : 24th July 2009 at 20:40.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:02   #128
BHPian

Quote:

did you get some rubberised anti rust applied on the underbody as well as the floor of the gypsy?

Yes, anti rust was applied to the body and upper frame of vehicle was totally taken off for the same. The reason for choosing "Red" color is because of my wife and also since this vehicle will hardly see the road 15-20 days a year, i wanted something different, as most of our cars are either white or black. Even though i am not that much into red but for re-creational vehicle i found it to be the best fit.
A little bit of bling i know. I was oscillating a lot, day before the first coat was to be applied. I was thinking between white and red. The reason was since i have never seen a red gypsy with my own eye's but my wife said if it doesn't look nice we can get it repainted again to white, its just an additional 15-20K. But now when i hear comments from workshop people(they were also forcing for white color) i am glad that i made this choice, as now garage people have taken a 180 degree turn now.

Amar

Last edited by Amar82 : 24th July 2009 at 21:07.
Old 24th July 2009, 21:25   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... 1)Front bumper-- Rs.1100
2)Rear bumper--Rs.700
3)Dashboard--Rs.1500
The plastic parts of th Gypsy are quite cheap. It's the metal parts that are not so cheap. For example the bonnet is a cool 16K

Quote:

I am thinking if innova seats can be fitted in gypsy.Few more pics
Can be easily fitted. At best you would have to alter the base frame and fix the innova seats directly on the body shell. I just got BMW 3 series seats fitted --lot lot better than the horrible stock Gypsy seats
Old 24th July 2009, 22:08   #130
Senior - BHPian

Amar,

It's looking very nice, one thing though, do get a new steering wheel to complete the 'brand new' look. Will not cost much but it does complete the refurb nicely.
Old 24th July 2009, 22:58   #131
Senior - BHPian

Great Job!!! the color looks good. In fact we do have a red gypsy here in Mumbai which looks real good.
Old 25th July 2009, 10:47   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Amar,

Good work on your gypsy. Nice colour you have chosen. Yes as Parm said This is for 4X4 offroad.
Old 25th July 2009, 11:26   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
The plastic parts of th Gypsy are quite cheap. It's the metal parts that are not so cheap. For example the bonnet is a cool 16K

Can be easily fitted. At best you would have to alter the base frame and fix the innova seats directly on the body shell. I just got BMW 3 series seats fitted --lot lot better than the horrible stock Gypsy seats
Actually when i got this gypsy, the dealer at mayapuri replaced the bonnect with a beaten up one, the denter had to do a lot of work to fix it. I think cost would have been the reason for this replacement.
Khan Bhai, where did you got those BMW seats? Also, did they completely fit on the stock frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Amar,

It's looking very nice, one thing though, do get a new steering wheel to complete the 'brand new' look. Will not cost much but it does complete the refurb nicely.
Thanks Satnam for the comments bro. Steering wheel will be replaced with the new one but eventually whenever i had a chance i will replace it with Momo replica wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Great Job!!! the color looks good. In fact we do have a red gypsy here in Mumbai which looks real good.
If you have some pics of that gypsy please post them as i will get some idea's, and thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaraka View Post
Amar,

Good work on your gypsy. Nice colour you have chosen. Yes as Parm said This is for 4X4 offroad.
Actually it will be used for both speed and offroad.

I am planning to buy 2 sets of tyres.
1) First set will be 275/60/R15 on alloy wheels for roaming around in city or going to leh.
2) Another set will be a 235/75R15 mud terrain tyres on stock rims for offroading.
Whenever there is an OTR, its just switching the tyres. Any suggestions??
Old 26th July 2009, 08:34   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy 2 sets of tyres.
1) First set will be 275/60/R15 on alloy wheels for roaming around in city or going to leh.
2) Another set will be a 235/75R15 mud terrain tyres on stock rims for offroading.
Whenever there is an OTR, its just switching the tyres. Any suggestions??
Go for 215/75 R15 for offroad as they are stock and the best for articulation - unless you wanna mod your suspension setup!
Old 26th July 2009, 11:45   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Go for 215/75 R15 for offroad as they are stock and the best for articulation - unless you wanna mod your suspension setup!
i 2nd that opinion!

235s will be too wide for OTRs! stick to 215s.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks