Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2009, 22:17   #181
BHPian

Amar, where are you buddy?

long time no updates! what is the current status?

Last I heard the steed was with Mandeep for some issue resolutions.

How did your Leh trip go?

Are you back or still in India?
Old 4th November 2009, 23:26   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
Hi Amar,

Your Gypsy is looking great. Fit the Light force and Mag wheels too.

Krishna Thanthri
Thanks.It's part of the plan, will be done on my next visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Selva View Post
Red Gypsyies are tempting to paint my white gypsy red,
Regards
Thanks Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply_sunny001 View Post
Congrats Amar,

thats a gr8 looking Gypsy and one of the best i have ever seen.

From the photos it looks like you have started putting it the use its meant to be.

Enjoy and Drive safe.

cheers
Thanks Sunny. There are lot of small issues that have to be fixed inorder for it be taken on long drives so was doing small offroading in near by places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Amar, where are you buddy?

long time no updates! what is the current status?

Last I heard the steed was with Mandeep for some issue resolutions.

How did your Leh trip go?

Are you back or still in India?
Hi Gurpreet,
Its been a while that i updated my thread. Before i came back to canada i gave my gypsy to Mandeep to fix all the issues that were still there. So updates on the gypsy are :

1) The right front door was replaced with new one as there were alignment issues.
2) Mandeep found shattered glass pieces and paint chips in the carb and it was cleaned and re-tuned.
3) Free wheeling hubs are being installed to improve the performance when in 2WD.
4) Booster Brakes will be installed in a day or two.

All thanks to Mandeep as he is doing me a favour.

Regarding my trip to leh, i was stranded for 4 days in manali as snowfall blocked the road and after the road got cleared i was out of vacation days to continue with the trip. But on the good side, i had always plannned my Leh trip on a gypsy but since Gypsy was not 100% reliable at that time i had to take endeavour but anyways god wants me to go there on Gypsy so may be next year.

I am attaching few pics of Gypsy that were clicked by Mandeep.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-9.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-2.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02796.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-gyp10.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-gyp9.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Amar82 : 4th November 2009 at 23:29.
Old 5th November 2009, 03:04   #183
BHPian

Aha! nice! from what i have heard and read I think with Mandeep your Gypsy in the great hands.

Did you try the weber carb that you had bought? or it is still running on the esteem or is it the standard equip carb?

In one of the pics isnt it GotzUk's Gypsy? (and ofcourse yours in the background with the hood open)
Old 5th November 2009, 12:01   #184
Senior - BHPian

Great Amar and your Gypsy sure is in great and extremely capable hands!!!
Old 6th November 2009, 00:48   #185
BHPian

Regarding my trip to leh, i was stranded for 4 days in manali as snowfall blocked the road and after the road got cleared i was out of vacation days to continue with the trip. But on the good side, i had always plannned my Leh trip on a gypsy but since Gypsy was not 100% reliable at that time i had to take endeavour but anyways god wants me to go there on Gypsy so may be next year.

Hi Amar,
infact very good work on yours gypsy, i like the red color of it, even i have a red bull with me, which humms a lot
as far as yours leh trip is concerned on gypsy, do let me know when can u plan as i often visit leh ... or you need any help regarding leh, then also do let me know, its good to see some team bhpian from punajb here
happy motoring dude and drive safe always !!!
Old 6th November 2009, 01:10   #186
BHPian

My soul is there

I have been visiting this place since 1997 and on an average about 3-4 times a year, but everytime i visit here, experience is always new with loads of nature colors, its just awesome.... undoubtly !!!
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-ladakh-trip-3.jpg  

Old 6th November 2009, 03:17   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailee_Jatt_Boy View Post
Aha! nice! from what i have heard and read I think with Mandeep your Gypsy in the great hands.

Did you try the weber carb that you had bought? or it is still running on the esteem or is it the standard equip carb?

In one of the pics isnt it GotzUk's Gypsy? (and ofcourse yours in the background with the hood open)
Hi Gurpreet,
Yeah Mandeep is a great guy, we normally chat every next day and he is in ludhiana these days so he will pick up the weber from my home and will try to make it work to its best.

Right now gypsy is running on esteem carb with modifications to jets and reaches 115km/hr.

Yes, that's Vaibhav's(Gotzuk) Gypsy and mine with hood open as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
Great Amar and your Gypsy sure is in great and extremely capable hands!!!
Thanks Harjeev, Your Ranger and Rover have come up very nice. Now get a Gypsy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwolf9211 View Post

Hi Amar,
infact very good work on yours gypsy, i like the red color of it, even i have a red bull with me, which humms a lot
as far as yours leh trip is concerned on gypsy, do let me know when can u plan as i often visit leh ... or you need any help regarding leh, then also do let me know, its good to see some team bhpian from punajb here
happy motoring dude and drive safe always !!!
Hi @airwolf,
Next year for sure i will be doing leh trip if everything goes as planned. Will let you know before hand and if you can bring your red bull along that will be nice.
You live at very beautiful place, really love solang valley apart from the crowd there.

Amar
Old 6th November 2009, 09:49   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post

Thanks Harjeev, Your Ranger and Rover have come up very nice. Now get a Gypsy too.

Amar
Hi Amar
Thanks buddy & you've exactly read my mind!!!
I am just in a delima whether to sell one of my jeeps and buy a Gypsy or alternatively wait for sometime and then buy a Gypsy!!!
I would love to immediately buy a Gypsy, but with the pain and hardwork that I have built my Ranger & Rover I am not sure whether to let them go or keep it!!!
I am slightly inclined with the 2nd option but this thing is certain that my 4th 4x4 will definitely be a 1.3 MPFI!!!
Old 26th November 2009, 23:12   #189
BHPian

Quote:
I am slightly inclined with the 2nd option but this thing is certain that my 4th 4x4 will definitely be a 1.3 MPFI!!!
Harjeev,
You drove my Gypsy other day, Mandeep told me. Anyways, i have finally planned for an engine swap to mpfi. I just contacted Raj Kapoor and got a quote for it. Though it is bit expensive but transplant would be reliable.
Any feedbacks that you felt about the gypsy or any modifications needed.

Amar
Old 27th November 2009, 10:21   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Harjeev,
You drove my Gypsy other day, Mandeep told me. Anyways, i have finally planned for an engine swap to mpfi. I just contacted Raj Kapoor and got a quote for it. Though it is bit expensive but transplant would be reliable.
Any feedbacks that you felt about the gypsy or any modifications needed.

Amar
No buddy!!! i drove Ashish's gypsy and sat in Vaibhav's while Mandeep was driving it!!!

We will get together soon and this time will drive your's!!! Love the color looks fabulous!!!

BTW why do you wanna change from 1.3 carb to a 1.3 mpfi!!! If you wanna spend money on the engine swap wouldn't it be better to straight away jump from 1.3 Carb to a 1.6 (Baleno)! Maybe that would cost a little more but that is what majority of the rally vehicles are running these days!!!
BTW I am still a novice when it comes to Gypsy's, so the experts will be able to recommend better!!!
Old 27th November 2009, 10:29   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No buddy!!! i drove Ashish's gypsy and sat in Vaibhav's while Mandeep was driving it!!!

We will get together soon and this time will drive your's!!! Love the color looks fabulous!!!

BTW why do you wanna change from 1.3 carb to a 1.3 mpfi!!! If you wanna spend money on the engine swap wouldn't it be better to straight away jump from 1.3 Carb to a 1.6 (Baleno)! Maybe that would cost a little more but that is what majority of the rally vehicles are running these days!!!
BTW I am still a novice when it comes to Gypsy's, so the experts will be able to recommend better!!!
I have a small sugestion, you can go for a baleno head and retain the carb bottom. Its a bolt on fit. If you do not wanna get in to the troubles of converting a carb to mpfi you can run the baleno head with twin webber carbs, it would better than the 1.3 MPFI engine.

Pramod
Old 27th November 2009, 23:51   #192
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Harjeev,
The reason i am going with 1.3 MPFI is reliability, i don't know anyone who has successfully transplanted 1.6 MPFI and have reviews about the reliability factor.
If people are using that in Rally, it must be Raj Kapoor installing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I have a small sugestion, you can go for a baleno head and retain the carb bottom. Its a bolt on fit. If you do not wanna get in to the troubles of converting a carb to mpfi you can run the baleno head with twin webber carbs, it would better than the 1.3 MPFI engine.
Pramod
Hi Pramod,
The reason why i prefer MPFi is high altitude self tuning, i already have a webber carb for my gypsy but the issue is fuel overflow and is only good for low end torque, i tried twice with the help of Mandeep but we switched back to Esteem carb with different jet settings.

Amar
Old 28th November 2009, 10:32   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Pramod,
The reason why i prefer MPFi is high altitude self tuning, i already have a webber carb for my gypsy but the issue is fuel overflow and is only good for low end torque, i tried twice with the help of Mandeep but we switched back to Esteem carb with different jet settings.

Amar
You can buy a head, intake manifold and exhaust manifold with all the necessary wiring and ECU from a baleno and use your existing bottom. This way the engine would be legal and more powerful than a 1.3 mpfi. Since nowadays its easy to find totaled balenos as donors, the cost factor will also not be of big concern. In short its a complete win win choice.

Pramod
Old 28th November 2009, 15:21   #194
Senior - BHPian

Please ignore my ignorance, but does the Gypsy not use a divorced transfer case? If yes, then why limit yourself to Maruti engines, why not be a daredevil and give it some serious power (assuming the chassis etc can handle it).
Old 28th November 2009, 15:34   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a small sugestion, you can go for a baleno head and retain the carb bottom. Its a bolt on fit. ....
Quote:
You can buy a head, intake manifold and exhaust manifold with all the necessary wiring and ECU from a baleno and use your existing bottom. This way the engine would be legal and more powerful than a 1.3 mpfi. ....
I have heard this many times over and would like some more info here for my own knowledge and learning.

What are the advantages that we are looking at if we use JUST the baleno HEAD?

How much cost and what all would be required if the gypsy is already a 1.3 mpfi?

What about reliability? legality?

Quote:
...i already have a webber carb for my gypsy but the issue is fuel overflow and is only good for low end torque, i tried twice with the help of Mandeep but we switched back to Esteem carb with different jet settings....
So, do you mean that you are NOT using the webber? If you are not, then I know someone who is looking for a webber carb for his 1.3 Gypsy. Let me know if you wana sell it to a fellow gypsy owner?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks