Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:29   #16
BHPian

New updates regarding gypsy are that engine has been taken of and suspension checked and also 3 wheel bearings have been replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00734.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00735.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00755.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc00789.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2009, 10:40   #17
Senior - BHPian

congratulations ! Amar,

Your acquisition seems to be in very good condition. Change the dashboard, it costs about Rs. 1500 for new. You can fit the Subros or Superking A/C kit which would cost about Rs. 20,000/- If you are going to keep soft-top, cooling may not be great.

As regards, your thought on YOKOHOMA Geolander tyres, my vote goes for that. I have them and am happy at the performance on road and off road. I have doubts on 265 75 R15 fitting to stock gypsy. However check it before you buy it. You can easily fit 235 75 R 15.

Keep posting development.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Even before i bought Gypsy, I was doing shopping for Gypsy and bought front Off-Road lights . These were made by Pro-Comp, I really liked these as they had a Clear lens stone protector guard and the size was 9", but after 2 days i came across Lightforce 240 Blitz while surfing internet, then read about the comparison and finally i decided to return these lights and order Lightforce online as there are no dealers in canada that stock these. Finally today i got a call that my parcel has arrived and will be picking up the parcel from U.S tomorrow. I am just attaching the Pro-Comp Motorsport series pics as a reference. The out of Pro-Comp is 99,000 candela
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02973.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02971.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02980.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02979.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2009, 11:28   #19
BHPian

@ Nitin: Thanks
@Dwaraka: Thanks

Dwaraka i might have done a typo (265/75/R15) in the tyre configuration, will 265/70/R15 fit the stock gypsy.
Old 2nd June 2009, 16:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

how much you paid for that meter.?
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:13   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amar82 View Post
@ Nitin: Thanks
@Dwaraka: Thanks

Dwaraka i might have done a typo (265/75/R15) in the tyre configuration, will 265/70/R15 fit the stock gypsy.
I don’t think 265/70/R15 will fit in stock Gypsy rims. You have to go for Alloy wheels.
Even after fitting 265/70/R15, during turnings the tire will touch the inner wall. Tire tread will get damaged this way. You may have to go for spacers.

Click the below link to have a look at how 265/70 R15 looks on a gypsy.

Team-BHP Classifieds - 1996 Gypsy 1.3 carb, 4X4, Hard Top - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Krishna
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Don't know how much Amar paid but I have one exactly the same which cost about £6 (450RS). I guess they are just generic and churned out in China. My one looks exactly the same but in different packaging. They are not excellent quality but will make the dash look a bit more complex.

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-inclino.jpg

Last edited by bigman : 2nd June 2009 at 17:37.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:37   #23
BHPian

@amar82- if you a doing a "full" restoration job on the gypsy , i suggest that you separate the body from the chassis and do the tinkering and the painting.

IMO even 235s are a bit too broad for the gypsy on stock suspension set up , the tyres will end up hitting the wheel arches.

Last edited by siddartha : 2nd June 2009 at 17:41.
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
I bought this for $21 approx Rs.800. Actually Satnam is right, It might not be 100% presize in calculations for pitching and rolling but does make the dashboard look good. I am looking for an altimeter , if i can find a good decent one.
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnathanthri View Post
I don’t think 265/70/R15 will fit in stock Gypsy rims. You have to go for Alloy wheels.
Even after fitting 265/70/R15, during turnings the tire will touch the inner wall. Tire tread will get damaged this way. You may have to go for spacers.

Click the below link to have a look at how 265/70 R15 looks on a gypsy.

Team-BHP Classifieds - 1996 Gypsy 1.3 carb, 4X4, Hard Top - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

Krishna

Thanks Krishna for the feeback.

I am thinking of putting 1" spacers and alloy wheels. The 4X4 alloys that you bought for ur gypsy looks nice as well
Old 2nd June 2009, 22:37   #26
BHPian

Hi Amar all the best for your gypsy restoration project, i have done similar project some 4 months back, its a nice experience,
Old 2nd June 2009, 23:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
When I had my jeep done I used Randeeps and Harjeevs thread quite a bit. I even printed pictures off and my dad used them as a guide book (rather like a restoration guide) for the body and chassis when instructing the workshop guys what we wanted done.

Look at Harjeevs thread on his MM550 and that of Randeep and there are plenty of pictures detailing the prep work to the body tub and chassis. Make sure you get the workshops to do all this now regardless of whether they say "..boyth vadiya chassis...rang karn di loyr ne" - for non punjabi speakers "excellent chassis no need for paint job". It is far easier to do all the rust proofing and prep work now rather than later.

Also ask your parents to visit as often as possible during the body prep stage as some painters are known to cut corners ...like putting liberal amounts of putty over the body and giving it a light sanding. They then spray over the putty which then begins to crack and the spray peel in less than a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddartha View Post
@amar82- if you a doing a "full" restoration job on the gypsy , i suggest that you separate the body from the chassis and do the tinkering and the painting.

IMO even 235s are a bit too broad for the gypsy on stock suspension set up , the tyres will end up hitting the wheel arches.
I agree with Satnam (bigman) & siddhartha. The workshop people will first always try to tell you that amount of work in the vehicle is so much and they will have to do this and that etc etc. This is just to charge you the max they can. When the amount has been agreed they will definitely try to cut corners and talk you out of things, so that they make the maximum profit from it,.
So a peice of advise do what you want to do and what you feel is right rather than to listen to the mechanics and just make sure that its done on your vehicle. Things like taking off the body and repinting, doing the under body anti rust, etc is now a good option as chances are that you would never ever do that again due to time shortage and effort involved later.
And remember, whenever in trouble or doubt always ask the professor.

"PROFESSOR TeamBHP"

he would surely help you...
Old 3rd June 2009, 02:42   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
The workshop people will first always try to tell you that amount of work in the vehicle is so much and they will have to do this and that etc etc. This is just to charge you the max they can.
Actually the workshop is owned by a distant relative of ours and he maintains all our rest of vehicles, for last ten years he has been very honest and just used to charge us for spare's only and no labour charges but we have to force him to accept the labour charges and we give him whatever we feel is right but he never demands. So i am pretty confident that Gypsy is in good hands.

@Harjeev & @Siddartha, I asked already regarding tinkering, and what i wa stold was that bottom of the vehicle is very clean and these are no sign of rust anywhere as they lifted the vehicle on hydraulics and checked the underbody. I will call the workshop today and will ask to put a rust coat at the bottom if tinkering is not a concern.

Amar
Old 3rd June 2009, 07:54   #29
BHPian

Today i went to U.S to get the lightforce lights, was on 2 hours bunk from office(college time habits rarely go). They are really awesome, the weight is 1/4 the weight of Pro-Comp lights .
Attached Thumbnails
My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02986.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02991.jpg  

My Ex-Army Gyspy ReBuild-dsc02992.jpg  

Old 3rd June 2009, 07:59   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post
And remember, whenever in trouble or doubt always ask the professor.

"PROFESSOR TeamBHP"
he would surely help you...

with the "Professor TeamBHP" comment. As Satnam said, print a copy of your rebuild thread and send it for publishing, extra income from the royality..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks