Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2010, 21:23   #136
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
...you have to pick if you want an extra drink or 4WD, and I chose 4WD :-)
Good choice, 4x4addict

Now, time to change your avatar pic ?
Old 25th February 2010, 21:26   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Good choice, 4x4addict

Now, time to change your avatar pic ?
You mean drive the forum crazy with another Terra Tiger logo . Just kidding. But only my mm540 gets the honor of becoming an Avatar pic not a 4WD tourer with electric transfer case and IFS.
Old 25th February 2010, 21:39   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You mean drive the forum crazy with another Terra Tiger logo...

Quote:
...But only my mm540 gets the honor of becoming an Avatar pic not a 4WD tourer with electric transfer case and IFS.
Well said !

Looking forward to detailed reports of the 4WD Scorpio in your ownership thread over a period of time...especially from the 4WD perspective.
Old 19th December 2010, 23:31   #139
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Scorpio 4WD

Just got my brand new Scorpio vlx 4WD with airbags BS IV couple of days back. Took it offroading yesterday. What fun. The car is loaded with technology.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-p1010112.jpg  

Mahindra Scorpio 4WD-p1010106.jpg  

Old 25th December 2010, 00:54   #140
BHPian

Hi bhpians! Just wanted to know if I need to use the 4X4 on a periodic basis for its to be in good condition?
Old 25th December 2010, 10:20   #141
Senior - BHPian

Yes, it is advisable you use the 4x4 tranny once in a while for it's proper functioning. but do not use it on normal tarmac or flat surfaces for a long distance.
Old 26th December 2010, 18:19   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
Hi bhpians! Just wanted to know if I need to use the 4X4 on a periodic basis for its to be in good condition?
Yes, please engage it atleast once in two weeks. If I cannot find an off-road trail, i find an empty stretch of highway where I can go forward in a straight line for about 100 yards or so. This should be enough to get the parts moving and lubricated. I do the following:

1) Stop & Engage 4H
2) Drive for 100 yards
3) Stop and shift to 4L
4) Drive for 100 yards in 4L & 2nd Gear
5) Switch back to 2WD and reverse 10 meters to disengage front hubs.

You can do this on dry tarmac as long as you you can drive the vehicle in a straight line without turning the steering.

Don't forget step 5 or your front hubs will remain engaged resulting in low mileage.
4x4addict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th December 2010, 22:02   #143
BHPian

Thanks a million RAJ and 4X4 addict.
Old 3rd January 2011, 21:37   #144
Senior - BHPian

Based on all what was discussed ahead and the available choice in India now, in my situation where I go offroad every weekend on my photography missions, specially more so in the winter season, there is no choice before me but to buy a 4x4 VLX Scorpio as a best compromise vehicle.

I will buy the M/T one as I asume Mahindra have not perfected their A/T mating technology till date.

What is this Micro Hybrid Stuff ?

Can a Winch be incorporated inside a Scorpio bumper ? Is their a provision to house it ?
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:13   #145
Senior - BHPian

Micro Hybrid if activated through a switch in the centre console, switches off the engine after 4 seconds as soon as you stop the car, engage neutral & leave the clutch. It will start the engine as soon as you press the clutch. This saves fuel & reduces emissions.
Old 3rd January 2011, 23:19   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=desertfox;2195602]Based on all what was discussed ahead and the available choice in India now, in my situation where I go offroad every weekend on my photography missions, specially more so in the winter season, there is no choice before me but to buy a 4x4 VLX Scorpio as a best compromise vehicle.
[quote=desertfox;2195602] If you are okay without Power Steering and AC, you can consider the Bolero DI 4WD. Power Steering and AC can be added after market by a competent shop. Problem though is that engine is a slouch at 63 bhp and engine is loud so the if you are planning to photograph wildlife, they will hear the tractor approaching from a mile away.

You can also consider the Thar since it will be much more handier than the Scorpio to get in and out of tight spots. If you don't plan to use it as a family vehicle Thar will probably be a better option than the 4WD Scorpio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
I will buy the M/T one as I asume Mahindra have not perfected their A/T mating technology till date.
I too have this concern that AT can be fixed only at the major dealerships, and if you have a problem with Scorpio AT in a rural area, you will need to get it towed to the nearest big city as forum member pramods had to do when his AT failed.

Quote:
What is this Micro Hybrid Stuff ?
Poor mans hybrid technology. Shuts of the engine when you are stopped and idling in neutral and restarts the engine when you hit the clutch.

Quote:
Can a Winch be incorporated inside a Scorpio bumper ? Is their a provision to house it ?
Yes, it can be done. However the bumper will have to cut neatly or you will have to replace with a custom bumper. The original bumpers result in very poor approach/departure angles.

Mahindra concept of a 4WD vehicle is to take a minivan and add Transfer case and front diffs. They have not modified the bumper etc one bit to make it easier to take off-road.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:48   #147
Senior - BHPian

I did have a serious look at the Thar ar the Gurgaon dealership ( Sterling ) last Friday. My first reaction was - wow an Indian equvalent ( desi version ) Wrangler. Lets buy it.

It was an impulsive decision, but then on a serious thought what do we have here.

A jeep where the windscreen can't fold down unless modified. Even the doors will need modification. With the canvas top off its more like sitting inside a Mercedese convertible or any other say an SLK or Audi or one of those Volkswagon Golf types.

The windscreen cannot be opened to let in some air. Result the entire vehicle will be covered in dust. Specially the rear deck.

The M Eagle engine has problems with Exaust Return pipe jamming in my Xylo. Instead of a Turbo a naturally aspired engine like the DI is much better off road.

Then comes the big question - on each of my trips how much time do I actually drive in 4 WD ? Tarmac, highway, graded track, hard mud, tracks, 95 % of the time. For just 5 % 4x4 driving per trip why compromise on heat and dust ? Truth is that over the last 20 years I have become a slave of airconditioning.

Weighing all Pros and Cons a Scorpio VLX 4WD will be the best option I reckon. Maybe fit it with a Sun Roof.

What I like - Manual 4WD engagement shift stick and low transfer case shift stick. This is definetely most reliable compared to what is there in Scorpio and Tata safari.

For that matter I wouldn't mind a 4x4 scorpio in a lower version, say SLE or GX with manual windows and less features. Cruise control ain't really required in India, and I do know when its raining and that I have entered a tunnel if I do!

Got to go to the dealership and find out because on the last visit I was in so much europhia after viewing the Thar that I did not ask for Scorpio 4x4 details.
Old 2nd February 2011, 14:36   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, please engage it atleast once in two weeks.
===================
Don't forget step 5 or your front hubs will remain engaged resulting in low mileage.
On a jungle trail ( no slush ) can I turn the steering in 4WD mode?
Old 2nd February 2011, 21:57   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_anurag View Post
On a jungle trail ( no slush ) can I turn the steering in 4WD mode?
As long as there some room for wheels to slip it is okay. Our OTR trail in Avalakonda was mostly dry mud jungle trail and most of us where in 4L through out the trail.
Old 7th February 2011, 12:49   #150
BHPian

Quote:
I did have a serious look at the Thar ar the Gurgaon dealership ( Sterling ) last Friday. My first reaction was - wow an Indian equvalent ( desi version ) Wrangler. Lets buy it.

It was an impulsive decision, but then on a serious thought what do we have here.

A jeep where the windscreen can't fold down unless modified. Even the doors will need modification. With the canvas top off its more like sitting inside a Mercedese convertible or any other say an SLK or Audi or one of those Volkswagon Golf types.

The windscreen cannot be opened to let in some air. Result the entire vehicle will be covered in dust. Specially the rear deck.

The M Eagle engine has problems with Exaust Return pipe jamming in my Xylo. Instead of a Turbo a naturally aspired engine like the DI is much better off road.

Then comes the big question - on each of my trips how much time do I actually drive in 4 WD ? Tarmac, highway, graded track, hard mud, tracks, 95 % of the time. For just 5 % 4x4 driving per trip why compromise on heat and dust ? Truth is that over the last 20 years I have become a slave of airconditioning.

Weighing all Pros and Cons a Scorpio VLX 4WD will be the best option I reckon. Maybe fit it with a Sun Roof.

What I like - Manual 4WD engagement shift stick and low transfer case shift stick. This is definetely most reliable compared to what is there in Scorpio and Tata safari.

For that matter I wouldn't mind a 4x4 scorpio in a lower version, say SLE or GX with manual windows and less features. Cruise control ain't really required in India, and I do know when its raining and that I have entered a tunnel if I do!

Got to go to the dealership and find out because on the last visit I was in so much europhia after viewing the Thar that I did not ask for Scorpio 4x4 details.
Scorpio in 4X4 form is available only in the VLX trim. Even though the light and rain sensors may be a tad unnecessary, the tyretronics are a blessing and available only in much more expensive cars.I have been using cruise control to good effect on highway driving. These are features that are difficult, if not impossible, to get as after market fitments. Makes the vlx 4X4 truly worth it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks