Team-BHP > 4x4 & Off-Roading > 4x4 Vehicles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2009, 18:08   #91
Senior - BHPian

I have the same question as Jaggu. Details of failure would be much appreciated. I have booked a 4wd Scorpio and hence the interest.
Old 23rd December 2009, 21:09   #92
BHPian

I've got a 2006 4wd, that's now clocked 82,000 km. And I've put the 4x4 to some pretty serious usage, at NCR OTRs, Jaisalmer dune bashing, and Ladakh. Yes, it's not as robust as the jeeps, but it gets you out of trouble when you need it.

There are two weak spots in the whole set up. 1. The auto-locking hubs, which can slip/break on extreme torque. And 2. The solenoid for the 4x4 shifter is exposed, under the body. So if you shift when it's submerged in water, there are chances of it shorting (at least that's what I think).

I've always played it safe and shifted before getting into the water or an extreme climb.

Secondly, on has to be patient with it. Shifting to 4L or back to 4H from 4L requires a 6 second wait for the whole blink blink to finish. If you are in a hurry, it can jam.

Cheers,
Old 23rd December 2009, 22:43   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

I am thinking of covering the whole solenoid system with Denerol or some similar rubberized paint which should keep the water out to a large extend. What do you guys think of this idea??
Old 23rd December 2009, 23:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I am thinking of covering the whole solenoid system with Denerol or some similar rubberized paint which should keep the water out to a large extend. What do you guys think of this idea??
Might work.

There is another product that would be good. Silicon putty or paste. You can get it in better hardware shops. It comes in a tube like a big tooth paste tube and also applies with about the consistency of tooth paste but hardens into a rubbery mass in about two minutes when air hits it. Good for sealing holes, too. It comes off readily as well. It is good to play with this stuff a little first to get an intuitive ideas how to put it on and how to deal with it before you try it on something important. Put the cap back on the tube quickly because the silicon will harden at the tube mouth quickly when it hits the air, ruining the tube.
Old 24th December 2009, 10:12   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
Silicon putty or paste.
Right. That's the same stuff used to paste windscreens on. Sets pretty quickly inside the tube too, shelf life is a little better if stored in a refrigerator. Perfect material to waterproof electrical connections. I'll give it a shot at the next service too (don't want to crawl underneath the car any more to do it )
Old 24th December 2009, 12:47   #96
BHPian

Does anyone has a picture of the exposed solenoid?
Old 15th January 2010, 11:31   #97
Team-BHP Support

A lot of members have bought mHawk 4WD, with even a AT 4WD in the midst. But I am yet to see a 4x4 usage report.
Have any of you used the mHawk 4x4? If yes, where? How was the performance off road?
Old 15th January 2010, 11:48   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But I am yet to see a 4x4 usage report.
Have any of you used the mHawk 4x4? If yes, where? How was the performance off road?
Here's the link to the Trail Blazing #2 thread, where I was checking out the 4x4 mHawk off-road for the first time: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1571901. And here is where the Hawk-on-fours went inside Corbett - not absolute 4wd territory, but off-road nonetheless.

Hope this helps.
Old 15th January 2010, 11:51   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

@tsk:

There was a Refresed Scorpio 4x4 that took part in the Munnar OTR. The vehicle was able to do everything the MM540s and CJs did.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1634917

The tires were upgraded to MTs.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:05   #100
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
There was a Refresed Scorpio 4x4 that took part in the Munnar OTR. The vehicle was able to do everything the MM540s and CJs did.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post1634917

The tires were upgraded to MTs.
4x4A: That looked like a non-VLX (i.e. non-mHawk-engined) Scorpio Refresh (with the 2.6 CRDe engine). The smallpox stickers seem to be missing, as also the "powered by mHawk" badge on the front fenders. Could you please check & confirm?
Old 15th January 2010, 17:13   #101
BHPian

It is said that the Xylo has more road stability than Scorpio. Xylo's Anti Roll bars are well designed. Statistics show, Xylo is high moving in the market.

Mahindra should concentrate on making Scorpio more stable.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:16   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
4x4A: That looked like a non-VLX (i.e. non-mHawk-engined) Scorpio Refresh (with the 2.6 CRDe engine). The smallpox stickers seem to be missing, as also the "powered by mHawk" badge on the front fenders. Could you please check & confirm?
i think its the mHawk engine buddy. look at the bonnet scoop. the mHawk has a wider scoop than the 2.6 CRDe. the stickers maybe missing because it maybe a scorpio SLE.

yes, but why is the "powered by mHawk" badge missing?

second case can be that now in refresh scorpios, even 2.6 CRDe gets the same scoop as the mHawk.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:24   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
i think its the mHawk engine buddy. look at the bonnet scoop. the mHawk has a wider scoop than the 2.6 CRDe. the stickers maybe missing because it maybe a scorpio SLE.

yes, but why is the "powered by mHawk" badge missing?

second case can be that now in refresh scorpios, even 2.6 CRDe gets the same scoop as the mHawk.
Yes - the Refresh is the new body style, mHawk is the engine. SLE 4x4s with the Refresh body come with the 2.6 CRDe engine. The only Refresh body that comes mated to an mHawk engine is in VLX specs.
Old 15th January 2010, 17:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post
It is said that the Xylo has more road stability than Scorpio. Xylo's Anti Roll bars are well designed. Statistics show, Xylo is high moving in the market.

hey which statistics? scorpio easily outsells the xylo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Yes - the Refresh is the new body style, mHawk is the engine. SLE 4x4s with the Refresh body come with the 2.6 CRDe engine. The only Refresh body that comes mated to an mHawk engine is in VLX specs.
oh yes, i forgot that. the 4x4 is still available with CRDe engine & 4x4 is available only in VLX with mHawk engine. you are right.

i think they call the 4x4 2.6 CRDe scorpio as SLX & not SLE.
Old 15th January 2010, 18:04   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnaik View Post

It is said by whom? Read the sales figures posted in the main section. Scorpio far outsells the xylo.

@SS: You are right. This is the Refresh Scorpio SLE 4x4 with the 2.6 CRDe engine. But to answer Tanweers question on the off-road capability of mhawk, The engine shouldn't make that much of a difference. If anything at all the lighter engine should make it more capable than the 2.6 CRDe. The suspension set up is the same except for the damping settings.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 15th January 2010 at 18:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks